Rangnick on Fletcher: What his role is, I don't really know

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

how did that work out for us?
Considering we are about to see a lot of positive, forward thinking changes with Ralf working alongside of Murtough, Fletch, etc and that fact that we managed to secure the signature of one of the most promising, modern manager whos allowed to build his own team and the current shit performing players are now held accountable including those who have been stinking the place for 5 years+ I would say it works out pretty well. Not all the "boys" are bad but none of them made a groundbreaking impact as well. So feck the boys its not about them - whoever that is qualified and can come in to put in the good work that matters is always welcomed. Ex United or not. United starts to ressemble a modern team at last.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Considering we are about to see a lot of positive, forward thinking changes with Ralf working alongside of Murtough, Fletch, etc and that fact that we managed to secure the signature of one of the most promising, modern manager whos allowed to build his own team and the current shit performing players are now held accountable including those who have been stinking the place for 5 years+ I would say it works out pretty well. Not all the "boys" are bad but none of them made a groundbreaking impact as well. So feck the boys its not about them - whoever that is qualified and can come in to put in the good work is always welcomed. Ex United or not. United starts to ressemble a modern team at last.
I was referring to us losing our coaches- carrick and mckenna.

tenpoless

I was referring to us losing our coaches- carrick and mckenna.
Carrick had been there since the transition period from LvG to Jose. He wanted to leave. And to be fair he did look like he could do with more free time away from United. You can't give someone a job when he's simply not up for it.
McKenna wanted to leave too and he started his own managerial career elsewhere.
We didn't sack any of them, keeping them when they don't buy into what Ralf and the current board want will only add problems.

Daengophile

He was confirmed by Luckhurst to have been approached for the Preston job literally days after leaving Utd but genuinely wanted a break. There's some recent rumour about Burnley too - bit of a poisoned chalice that as they're favorites to go down and the fans loved the last guy.

Seems a smart guy, probably learned from Lampard's mistakes and wants to wait for the right opportunity rather than jumping at the first chance only to fail and ruin his reputation.

Meanwhile, he's been spotted alongside his family sitting amongst the fans at most of our home games since Feb. There was a funny photo someone snapped of him trying to grab some Haribo from his teenage son's bag during the Leicester game (probably bored like the rest of us to be fair).

Also, did a bit of punditry for a random Monday night game (Spurs vs Everton), one day after we got thrashed by City. Was asked about the Utd game and gave the most diplomatic answer possible, didn't criticize our players or Ralf at all and just kept saying how hard City was to play against, almost giving excuses for the players (youtube.com/watch?v=_OAb0KKIYag&t=6s) - No wonder our players like him so much - not sure that's what you want from a manager though.
My personal opinion is that he always read the game extremely well and made himself as efficient as possible. I hope he makes himself available

DavelinaJolie

Which is reasonable. In a season of turmoil he had to take on an additional functions due to gaps in coaching staff, and now they need to clearly define what he does again because they are trying to bud a structure.

tomaldinho1

Great. Maybe our portion of numpty fans will get off his back then. They should take that stupid title off him, it does him no favours as his job description is not that of a technical director
To be fair the title was what fans had issue with, we had a ‘technical director’ who took part in training, coached and was in the dugout. Wasn’t Fletcher’s fault but was a joke to give him that title, I don’t think anyone would begrudge him being part of the coaching setup OR having a defined role under Murtough (just not both)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
To be fair the title was what fans had issue with, we had a ‘technical director’ who took part in training, coached and was in the dugout. Wasn’t Fletcher’s fault but was a joke to give him that title, I don’t think anyone would begrudge him being part of the coaching setup OR having a defined role under Murtough (just not both)
Michael Emenalo was Chelsea’s technical director and was present on the training pitch and often the bench. Petr Cech is now technical advisor and has been involved in training and even as a player.The same goes for many in Germany. The title is fine, and completely meaningless anyway.

The point of Fletcher’s role is specifically to link the coaching/playing set up to the director/Murtough set up. That can only be done by being involved in both.

marktan

Fergie's lovechild? Ralph is about 20 years too late in the Fletch gossip.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
God I don't miss Rangnick. Perhaps we could expunge him from the record books like they did with Roman Emperors they didn't like.

I think weirdly he was somehow both the most personable, but also by far the shittest, manager we've had post-Fergie. And that is saying something because I actually liked Van Gaal, Solskjaer and Mourinho personally but thought they all did pretty terrible jobs in varying ways, and Moyes was even worse. To be worse than Moyes was for us is really something.

phelans shorts

God I don't miss Rangnick. Perhaps we could expunge him from the record books like they did with Roman Emperors they didn't like.

I think weirdly he was somehow both the most personable, but also by far the shittest, manager we've had post-Fergie. And that is saying something because I actually liked Van Gaal, Solskjaer and Mourinho personally but thought they all did pretty terrible jobs in varying ways, and Moyes was even worse. To be worse than Moyes was for us is really something.
Ralf? Personable?

If I worked with somebody like him I’d spend as much of my time as possible as far away from him as possible, probably including muttering “oh feck off” under my breath whenever he tries to get my attention for whatever reason. And he’d definitely not be invited on any nights out.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ralf? Personable?

If I worked with somebody like him I’d spend as much of my time as possible as far away from him as possible, probably including muttering “oh feck off” under my breath whenever he tries to get my attention for whatever reason. And he’d definitely not be invited on any nights out.
Seemed a friendly sort of chap, not arrogant, honest and not stupid...I'd quite enjoy a chat with him at work I think. I don't know if personable is the right word perhaps, I'd much rather go for a pint with LVG, Mourinho or Solskjaer for example, but I found Rangnick quite disarming. As, seemingly, did the weird cult following he had. I just also recognised that he was a god awful manager.

Revaulx

Ralf? Personable?

Let’s hope people won’t be saying the same about ETH if he doesn’t get their pet players smiling again.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Maybe we can use Fletcher as a CM, he'd be a nice new signing and probably still has more stamina than Matic

Revaulx

Great. Maybe our portion of numpty fans will get off his back then. They should take that stupid title off him, it does him no favours as his job description is not that of a technical director
“Technical Director” was absolutely stupid. Maybe someone felt that if his role involved persuading players to join he wouldn’t be taken seriously by agents if he hadn’t got “Director” in his title.

stevoc

If Rangnick didn't know Fletcher's role, he should have asked him.
Indeed though to be fair to Ralf in his 6 months at the club I don't think he figured out what is own role was supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.