Rangnick & Ronaldo

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is this going to be an issue, or will Rangnick tweak a system to get the best out of Ronaldo?

Ronaldo is very much the elephant in the room. He has a use and purpose for certain styles, but from what I have read and listened to about Rangnick, I struggle to see how Ronaldo fits into the "heavy metal" press approach. I read Rangnick introduced a 4222 at previous clubs, would this suit Ronaldo?

Or could it be that Ronaldo has some pressing capability in him yet? Ultimately he played under managers that didn't want to press high all the time, so could there be an argument that he will press if told, but he just hasn't been instructed to as such? Not sure how good he can be at 34, and I can see Rangnick phasing him out if he doesn't like what he sees.

By the way, 5 years ago Rangnick said this about Messi & Ronaldo:

When asked whether he would sign two of the best players in the world, he responded: "It would be absurd to think that it could work with them here. They are both too old and too expensive."

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There was a video I watched earlier, dont remember the link but he talked about what really matters is the manager has to know the system he plays, knows how to get the players to implement it and that it doesnt matter if its the style of Klopp or Guardiola. So I think he will try to get the best of whats available and that includes Ronaldo. He just needs to figure out how to make it work. A pressing team doesnt necessarily mean all 10 players must press all game.

ShinjiNinja26

I don’t think it will be anywhere near as big an issue as most are making out. Ronaldo is all about winning and if Rangnick’s methods are winning us football matches then it won’t be an issue. Rangnick is smart enough to tailor his system to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is this going to be an issue, or will Rangnick tweak a system to get the best out of Ronaldo?

Ronaldo is very much the elephant in the room. He has a use and purpose for certain styles, but from what I have read and listened to about Rangnick, I struggle to see how Ronaldo fits into the "heavy metal" press approach. I read Rangnick introduced a 4222 at previous clubs, would this suit Ronaldo?

Or could it be that Ronaldo has some pressing capability in him yet? Ultimately he played under managers that didn't want to press high all the time, so could there be an argument that he will press if told, but he just hasn't been instructed to as such? Not sure how good he can be at 34, and I can see Rangnick phasing him out if he doesn't like what he sees.

When asked whether he would sign two of the best players in the world, he responded: "It would be absurd to think that it could work with them here. They are both too old and too expensive."
I think Ronaldo will work well, it's not closing down players all the time. It's also covering the player and passing lanes.

Also what Rangnick said when he didn't have players and what he does when the players are already in the squad might be different. Ronaldo won't be a pressing machine like Bruno, Fred but I think he will improve.

Will be interesting to see how everything works out, even if one player doesn't press, it will be easy to break the press which means we will be all over the place defensively.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
A good manager knows exactly how to use all his players effectively. No two are the same and some won't always fit the "mould" but a good manager will still be able to get the best out of them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don’t think it will be anywhere near as big an issue as most are making out. Ronaldo is all about winning and if Rangnick’s methods are winning us football matches then it won’t be an issue.
Exactly my view. However you set up the team, the number one requirement is to score goals. Hence Ronaldo. The best of the best.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think Ronaldo will work well, it's not closing down players all the time. It's also covering the player and passing lanes.

Also what Rangnick said when he didn't have players and what he does when the players are already in the squad might be different. Ronaldo won't be a pressing machine like Bruno, Fred but I think he will improve.

Will be interesting to see how everything works out, even if one player doesn't press, it will be easy to break the press which means we will be all over the place defensively.
Yeah I've noticed Ronaldo runs smart. Rather than covering x distance, he is very much alive and aware to passing lanes and heavy touches. I would hope Rangnick maximizes that out of him and it goes toward a style of pressing. Ronaldo will have very youthful, pacey and direct wingers on either side to help off the ball and if we hunt in packs it might be easier for him.

I did see a couple of times he would run toward the first man and wave his arms to his peers to get further up so who knows. But I do think Rangnick will deploy a system that gets players closer to him, which is why I wonder if he'll go for his 4222 formula instead of 433.

romufc

I don't think high press means closing down from all players. Ronaldo can be used as a cut the passing lanes type, then if we do win the ball, he will be free, which could be a real asset.

If Ragnik can get us higher up the pitch with Jadon, Bruno, Fred, Rashy all pressing, Ronaldo will just pick the lose balls or the pass and he will be in on goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo will be the one player of enough quality to work around.
It's getting the rest of them pressing hard that will be the fun part.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Try 36 1/2

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes, it's going to be an issue. Hope Ralf has a solution if not, GOAT will look to leave in the summer and I would be just fine with it. This tailoring for a player , isn't going to get us anywhere. Grow a pair and have the players to stay in line. If he can adjust, then brilliant else we move on.

Tired of drama regarding the players.

RUCK4444

There was a video I watched earlier, dont remember the link but he talked about what really matters is the manager has to know the system he plays, knows how to get the players to implement it and that it doesnt matter if its the style of Klopp or Guardiola. So I think he will try to get the best of whats availablr including Ronaldo. He just needs to figure out how to make it work. A pressing team doesnt necessarily mean all 10 players must press all game.
Agree on the bolded as well. Also a team that presses in an organised fashion and stays up the pitch in order to achieve this means that he wouldn't have to be making 30 yard sprints that some seem to think he would. Sure it's high energy and he would need to work more but the collective effort of a coached approach to pressing will make it a lot easier than it seemed under Ole when we were half-pressing at times.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ronaldo will be very happy with Rangnick IMO. Rangnick's football is all about getting the ball forward fast, which Ronaldo thrives off of.

Off the ball, Ronaldo has no problem making an effort. He has been actually doing so. In some of our Champions League games, especially, he's been the one making the most effort to close down opposition defenders. The idea that Ronaldo just sits in the middle of the field like a meditating monk is just not what we're seeing.

What Ronaldo clearly resents is going on solo dashes without any tactics or coordination behind it. Pressing isn't just about running around. It takes the team moving in well set patterns so players are close together, not stretched out trying to do it all alone.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah I've noticed Ronaldo runs smart. Rather than covering x distance, he is very much alive and aware to passing lanes and heavy touches. I would hope Rangnick maximizes that out of him and it goes toward a style of pressing. Ronaldo will have very youthful, pacey and direct wingers on either side to help off the ball and if we hunt in packs it might be easier for him.

I did see a couple of times he would run toward the first man and wave his arms to his peers to get further up so who knows. But I do think Rangnick will deploy a system that gets players closer to him, which is why I wonder if he'll go for his 4222 formula instead of 433.
Yeah, hopefully Rangnick uses full squad especially if he wants to play intense game. Ronaldo should subbed out and rested too, we have very good attackers.

I don't think high press means closing down from all players. Ronaldo can be used as a cut the passing lanes type, then if we do win the ball, he will be free, which could be a real asset.

If Ragnik can get us higher up the pitch with Jadon, Bruno, Fred, Rashy all pressing, Ronaldo will just pick the lose balls or the pass and he will be in on goal.
Yeah, more or less what I said. Last time I was so excited about a coach was when we hired Van Gaal. Hopefully it won't end up like that.

Revaulx

Maybe I’m imagining it, but Ronaldo’s workrate seems to have increased considerably in the last few games. Maybe he needed time to adjust to the PL.

The notion that he’s just some selfish goal-hanging prima donna seems pretty wide of the mark. If anything, playing in a more organised system may enable him to run less rather than more, as he won’t be having to drop deep.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Rangnick worked quite well with old-man Raul sometime ago.
Not expecting any major issues,tbh.

Kostov

If Rangnick or whatever his name is, is half as decent as he is described, he will see the "elephant" in the room and find a way to play his best goalscorer by a mile.

Slaxx

Think Ronaldo will preferring pressing than losing again hopeless to City and Liverpool.

I'm not saying pressing is the only answer to them, but those loses (and the way it happened) have created some goodwill for other ideas.

youmeletsfly

Ragnick is smart enough to know that he has one of the best goalscorers in history at his disposal. It's more productive to focus on creating chances for him than forcing him to press.
Sure, maybe others need to pick up his lack of pressing, but that's not an issue at other clubs and it shouldn't be one here.

sparx99

I basically see Ronaldo being used like Lewandowski at Bayern. Lewandowski doesn’t press like a madman but he does enough.

Matt007a

If Ronaldo believes that adopting the new strategy will get him more chances and more goals I think he would be willing to do it. The man is obsessed with numbers and Ballon d'Or trophies, almost to the point where nothing else matters.

He's not going to be asked to put in a Rooney or Tevez style shift because he knows that's not his game. As long as they meet half way it'll be fine.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Rangnick will expect Ronaldo to do some pressing, and he will do so as he wants to be successful. I don't see a big issue in general. I expect Rangnick to bench Ronaldo sometimes to give younger players (Greenwood probably) more time and to keep Ronaldo fresh, they might discuss a bit about that, but that's about it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Ronaldo does not nor should care about a dude with a 6-month contract. But he will be a professional and do what's asked of him?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There was a video yesterday on this forum saying all Ronaldo has to do is not press but mark one of the defenders so that the opposition goaly will play it out a specific way. The creator of the video said Ronaldo would have no problem in this system.

Zlatattack

If you can't figure out how to use the worlds best footballer, you need to re-think football management.

El Jefe

If he can't get Ronaldo to be effective I'd say he is the problem and a limited coach. Ronaldo is only one player its not a PSG situation where you have 3 players that might not put in the necessary work.

Make no mistake about it Ronaldo is the alpha of this team, RR is an interim so he will fall in line and no doubt try and get the best of Ronaldo in his system.

Rafa at Madrid is the only manager that really tried to try and stamp his authority on Ronaldo and he was out of the job pretty quickly. Ronaldo is a winner, hard worker and an incredibly cerebral player, he will have no problem fitting in any style provided he's given the respect he deserves.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Rangnick was asked 2016 whether he would rather sign Ronaldo or Messi for RB Leipzig.

His answer was neither of them, because they are too old.
The RB clubs have it had a policy to sign only players younger than 25 years it even younger.

Idxomer

He's one of the worst forwards from a defensive point of view in the top leagues, the stats back that up. If Ronaldo doesn't adapt, we'll have an issue. It's not gonna be easy at his age, conserving energy is one of the reasons for his Longevity.

He should be playing less regardless, his form has been great in the CL but hasn't performed as well in the PL.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The only relevance of Ronaldo vs Rangnick is in terms of timeline. It's fair to assume that Rangnick main focus is beyond this season, so the framework is unlikely to be built specifically for Ronaldo but at the same time Ronaldo is a specimen and a great professional, he will give everything and it will work or not.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Make no mistake about it Ronaldo is the alpha of this team, RR is an interim so he will fall in line and no doubt try and get the best of Ronaldo in his system.
Feck me, you really don't know anything about Rangnick. He is the Boss now for this squad, he won't fall in line, he will lead and define the line.

And he will still be influencing the clubs strategy when Ronaldo is gone.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Rangnick was asked 2016 whether he would rather sign Ronaldo or Messi for RB Leipzig.

His answer was neither of them, because they are too old.
The RB clubs have it had a policy to sign only players younger than 25 years it even younger.
Not an issue here. He was holistically responsible for the RB clubs and was tasked with a cost-effective way to build successful clubs. So of course you sign players whose market value will increase when you coach them well.

So that statement was more about the business side than about any value on the pitch of those players.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
People talk about him like he’s fecking inzaghi. He will thrive in our new system and Rangnick will be buzzing at the prospect of managing and getting the best out of him.

El Zoido

We’ve got the greatest goalscorer to ever play the game, and he’s absolutely not past it either. I imagine Rangnick will be looking for us to create chances for him rather than dumping him out the team, he’s got 10 goals for us already this season, which is testament to the eternal quality of Ronaldo considering how bloody awful we’ve been in almost every game.

Hoof the ball

It's a well-placed question because it is a realistic consideration. For eg.

The most optimal press is the one which leads from the very front. (usuallly)

Now, is that to say that Ronaldo lacks discipline? No, we know he doesn't. He's the comsummate professional in every respect. The key thing to remember with someone like Ronaldo is that the very reason he is as effective as he is, in part, is due to his ability to conserve energy for the right moments. We know his pressing stats have always been low, even going back to his younger days, but rather than see it as some laziness on his part, see it as efficiency management. If you save your energy for explosive bursts at critical moments then it gives you an edge when it matters most. If, for eg, Ronaldo were to harrass and press like Cavani, I'm almost 100% sure that you would forsake something in terms of his explosion over ten yards when it is required of him. So then, Rangnick has the task of figuring how to manage Ronaldo's energy output whilst simultaneously figuring out how a pressing system can be optimised without the CF being the press leader.

tomaldinho1

He definitely has at least one variation where the striker doesn’t press but just needs to split the CBs. We won’t see an immediate switch flick on and everyone just go mental pressing all over - he’ll put some structures in place and then be planning transfer for summer (and beyond) that suit the system, that’s basically his forte.

For all the talk of pressing, the biggest think I hope we see is going to be how we use the ball in possession. Off the ball running is going be ramped up from about 2 out of 10 to 10/10.