Rangnick & Ronaldo

NewYorkRed

Because Rangnick can’t play he preferred style of football which is very heavy on pressing with Ronaldo up front.

But it’s Ronaldo and when you have Ronaldo what ever tactics a manger wants to play rightly or wrongly take a back seat to what’s the tactic and 10 players that will get the best out of Ronaldo. Which has good and bad points.
Yeah its not like he did that exact thing with a less mobile Raul up top for Schalke?

Football isn’t all theories and big words. He prefers younger players that can run a lot, that much is clear, but he has one of the greatest goal scorers ever up front, I’m sure he’ll be quite happy with that, else he wouldn’t be coming here. This will end up being a non issue.

eire-red

Rangnick will have enough experience I'm sure to accommodate Ronaldo. Look at his record this season in the CL alone. Maybe Rangnick will utilise Cavani more in the PL, and 'save' Ronaldo for the CL?

Either way, I'm sure Rangnick has Ronaldo central to his plans this season, you just don't leave a guy of his calibre on the bench. I actually think some of the lack of effort criticism thrown his way has been unfair this season. Against Villareal and Atalanta at OT, I felt Ronaldo was working his socks off and really driving the team forward.

I know that's just two games, but I don't think he's been this lazy primadonna that he's been labelled. I think he's the scapegoat in the media in a sense, but I don't think Cavani makes us not capitulate this season, it's bigger than just Ronaldo.

Anyway, one example I'd use is Aguero and Guardiola. Aguero wasn't exactly a workhorse, but Guardiola found a way to accommodate him. That's what great managers do.

Long Time Red

Because Rangnick can’t play he preferred style of football which is very heavy on pressing with Ronaldo up front.

But it’s Ronaldo and when you have Ronaldo what ever tactics a manger wants to play rightly or wrongly take a back seat to what’s the tactic and 10 players that will get the best out of Ronaldo. Which has good and bad points.
Posts like this won't age well.

Playing Ronaldo doesn't mean he can't play his preferred style of football. Will Ronaldo be the main ball winner? Obviously no, but when the others win it Rangnick will want the most potent goalscorer in the history of football in the team to finish the counter attack chances.

I honestly think Ronaldo could score 40+ this season, maybe even 50+ if he has no injuries and stays fit. He's literally been feeding on scraps so far and already scored 10. Another 30 with 26 Premier League games left, and FA Cup + Champions League knockout stages to come is more than doable.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Rangnick will have enough experience I'm sure to accommodate Ronaldo. Look at his record this season in the CL alone. Maybe Rangnick will utilise Cavani more in the PL, and 'save' Ronaldo for the CL?

Either way, I'm sure Rangnick has Ronaldo central to his plans this season, you just don't leave a guy of his calibre on the bench. I actually think some of the lack of effort criticism thrown his way has been unfair this season. Against Villareal and Atalanta at OT, I felt Ronaldo was working his socks off and really driving the team forward.

I know that's just two games, but I don't think he's been this lazy primadonna that he's been labelled. I think he's the scapegoat in the media in a sense, but I don't think Cavani makes us not capitulate this season, it's bigger than just Ronaldo.

Anyway, one example I'd use is Aguero and Guardiola. Aguero wasn't exactly a workhorse, but Guardiola found a way to accommodate him. That's what great managers do.
Good point.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Integrating Ronaldo into an intense pressing team will be a huge task IMO. I am really surprised people think he can press like that, no he can't do it intensively for 90', he never was that kind of player and surely at the age of 36 he's not becoming that kind of player. So Ralf, or whoever takes over, will need to build a team that can integrate Ronaldo but you can't really expect him to press.
Whether that is an issue remains to be seen, I'm more worried about how Ronaldo works when we're on the ball than off it. I've been disappointed so far with his involvement outside the box to be honest.
It'll be very interesting how Ralf approaches this issue. There's no way he's leaving him on the bench this season at least, but it's not like we're competing for any serious trophies so no big deal I guess. But for the next season I think we should consider whether to make him main man up top.

Lee565

I think we are writing off idea that Ronaldo can adapt to be able to start pressing intensely in games under the new manager.

We are talking about a freak of nature who is one of the most driven footballer's to have ever graced the game and is the opposite of lazy, he thrives on any challenge put in front of him and still strives to find ways that can improve him on a daily basis.

It would not surprise me if he become a a high intensity pressing machine, though he would probably have to rest a bit more and sit out more games than he would ideally like because of the fatigue that such a style of football will create on all players

justsomebloke

I don’t understand why people bring this up all the time. We are talking about the potentially best footballer who ever walked on this planet. Even now he is immediately the top performer in our team. As a manager: FIND a way to include him, otherwise your system is bad.
Well, I don't understand what is hard to see about this. Rangnicks philosophy is based on collective organisation, intensive counterpressing, lots of running and quick transition attacks and a stated preference for young players who can develop within the system (at one point, there was a conscious transfer policy of not buying anyone older than 23). He has said himself his style works best with young players, because older players slow down both mentally and physically. All of these things are obviously a very bad fit with Ronaldo.

And sorry, to say "FIND a way to include him, otherwise your system is bad" is just to make it easy for yourself, at the cost of ignoring reality. It's simply not the case that any system can be bent to fit any given player, no matter how good he is. And that does not actually say anything bad about the system.

Maybe he'll find a way, I sure hope so. But it obviously will be an issue.

It's laughable the number of people on this thread who seem to reason "Ronaldo=good and Rangnick=good, so that means it's bound to work out". Jesus.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I mean sure but let's be honest we have done nothing to tailor our team to Ronaldo except from play him. Doesn't even have priority of pens or free kicks. Yet still constantly produces.
I would agree we haven’t tailored our team enough to Ronaldo. That’s 1 of the reasons we’ve struggled. We brought in Ronaldo without really a solid plan of how to play with him and then tried to continue with the same tactics and it was terrible. We obviously then changed it to try 5 at the back and 2 up top and sort of worked a bit but we never really got to grips with it and arguably didn’t have the players.

I would also agree on the penalties though Ronaldo has never been amazing at free kicks he just takes them because he’s Ronaldo.

Ronaldo will score, he’s Ronaldo maybe the greatest goal scorer of all time, be we also need to find a way to play as a team. We can’t go on with United play crap look dysfunctional, Ronaldo may as well not bothered leaving the dressing room for how little he contributed…… ow wait no he's scored. That has to change.

This is Rangnick and whoever follows job. To build a team and structure around Ronaldo while he is at the club. The concern is that at least on paper the tactics associated with Rangnick is a direct opposite to what best suits Ronaldo and how that’s works out is concerning.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yeah its not like he did that exact thing with a less mobile Raul up top for Schalke?

Football isn’t all theories and big words. He prefers younger players that can run a lot, that much is clear, but he has one of the greatest goal scorers ever up front, I’m sure he’ll be quite happy with that, else he wouldn’t be coming here. This will end up being a non issue.
I hope so. It’s possible that he convinces the players around Ronaldo to run a lot harder then it may be fine. But obviously that’s a big If and how the whole you 9 out field players all have to work your socks off but Ronaldo doesn’t Will go down. It’s not like Ronaldo is the only player with an ego.

We’ll see. Personally I don’t think it will be plain sailing but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Long Time Red

Well, I don't understand what is hard to see about this. Rangnicks philosophy is based on collective organisation, intensive counterpressing, lots of running and quick transition attacks and a stated preference for young players who can develop within the system (at one point, there was a conscious transfer policy of not buying anyone older than 23). He has said himself his style works best with young players, because older players slow down both mentally and physically. All of these things are obviously a very bad fit with Ronaldo.

And sorry, to say "FIND a way to include him, otherwise your system is bad" is just to make it easy for yourself, at the cost of ignoring reality. It's simply not the case that any system can be bent to fit any given player, no matter how good he is. And that does not actually say anything bad about the system.

It's laughable the number of people on this thread who seem to reason "Ronaldo=good and Rangnick=good, so that means it's bound to work out". Jesus.
He had an ancient Raul play up top for him at Schalke so clearly age isn't a dealbreaker for him.

As I've said before on this thread, Lewandoski is not particularly great at pressing yet Hansi Flick's Bayern were one of the best pressing teams we've ever seen.

Most of the traps that are set to win the ball back usually only require the centre forward to cut off the passing lanes to stop the other team switching play so Ronaldo will be fine.

Last edited:

doomy20

I never said it is not an issue, I just say you can’t ignore world class players just for the sake of it. At the end of all pressing and counterattacking you still need an attacker who knows how to score the chances we create. And Ronaldo does it exactly this, at least for another 2 seasons. He does it better than Rashford or Greenwood or whoever else is up front. That’s all Im saying. Implement the system and make sure to give your attacker a 25+ goals season.

Sylar

Well...

This made me laugh especially the fake run at the end by... Martial?

Speako

As has been mentioned with Ronaldo, he may not have the legs or desire to chase down moving footballs between passes like a cat chases string, but he can block the pass from the centre back to the closest midfielder or full back by placing himself correctly, and he’s actually quite good at this. Rashford and Sancho can do the harassing.

captaincantona

I never said it is not an issue, I just say you can’t ignore world class players just for the sake of it. At the end of all pressing and counterattacking you still need an attacker who knows how to score the chances we create. And Ronaldo does it exactly this, at least for another 2 seasons. He does it better than Rashford or Greenwood or whoever else is up front. That’s all Im saying. Implement the system and make sure to give your attacker a 25+ goals season.
I think that is the antithesis of what a top manager should believe...I think that a top manager should ignore world class players if they do not fit his system or are not willing or able to adapt to his system...he should not ignore world class potential. That should be nurtured and developed into the mangers system - see Phil Foden’s development compared to day Greenwood...one has been given clear instruction on how to maximise his talents in a defined system and the other has been told to express himself and gets pummelled by his own fans when he does it! If a truly top manager comes in he should be able to see the talent waiting in the wings and develop that instead of trying to get the best out of one player.

A team of world class players means fuk all if they won’t play a specific role for the good of the team...how is PSGs front line working out? How about Real’s Galacticos?

Conversely players like Wijnaldum, Henderson Fabinho, Fernandinho, Rodri, Milner, Jota, Jesus all look incredible despite being not top tier...because the system allows it. It’s all about the system!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think we are writing off idea that Ronaldo can adapt to be able to start pressing intensely in games under the new manager.

We are talking about a freak of nature who is one of the most driven footballer's to have ever graced the game and is the opposite of lazy, he thrives on any challenge put in front of him and still strives to find ways that can improve him on a daily basis.

It would not surprise me if he become a a high intensity pressing machine, though he would probably have to rest a bit more and sit out more games than he would ideally like because of the fatigue that such a style of football will create on all players
He is literally the worst attacker in the league in terms of pressing numbers and is 36 years old. Of course he's not going to suddenly become a high-intensity pressing machine at this late, late stage in his career. If it was that easy then literally any other PL attacker could do it just as well.

The question is whether he can press more and/or be accomodated within a system. Which he probably can, at which point you'd normally judge whether it's worth it over a lesser talented but more system-friendly striker. But Ronaldo will only be here for so long anyway, so it's a problem that will fix itself relatively quickly. You just replace him and Cavani with a CF who can do it when the time comes.

NewYorkRed

I think that is the antithesis of what a top manager should believe...I think that a top manager should ignore world class players if they do not fit his system or are not willing or able to adapt to his system...he should not ignore world class potential. That should be nurtured and developed into the mangers system - see Phil Foden’s development compared to day Greenwood...one has been given clear instruction on how to maximise his talents in a defined system and the other has been told to express himself and gets pummelled by his own fans when he does it! If a truly top manager comes in he should be able to see the talent waiting in the wings and develop that instead of trying to get the best out of one player.

A team of world class players means fuk all if they won’t play a specific role for the good of the team...how is PSGs front line working out? How about Real’s Galacticos?

Conversely players like Wijnaldum, Henderson Fabinho, Fernandinho, Rodri, Milner, Jota, Jesus all look incredible despite being not top tier...because the system allows it. It’s all about the system!
Thats not always true though, is it? Zidane, we would all agree, didn’t have a better system than Klopp’s liverpool. They still beat them.

The truth is its a bit of both. Its not all about the system. Its not all about just having better players. You need both. Ronaldo is world class still, I know a lot of people on this forum don’t think so (shocking), so I’m sure the new manager will find a way to work, and I’m sure this was discussed already in his interview with the club.

angak

So is Ronaldo expecting to be regular starter for another 2 yrs ?! Any chance we can transfer him out at the end of season or even in the January transfer window ?

If we are being honest with ourselves a front two with Greenwood and Rashford would fit perfectly in Rangnick's system. I really do want to stagnant thier development for a 36 y/o. I also do not want Rangnick to comprise his philosophy to accommodate Ronaldo.

Last edited:

captaincantona

Thats not always true though, is it? Zidane, we would all agree, didn’t have a better system than Klopp’s liverpool. They still beat them.

The truth is its a bit of both. Its not all about the system. Its not all about just having better players. You need both. Ronaldo is world class still, I know a lot of people on this forum don’t think so (shocking), so I’m sure the new manager will find a way to work, and I’m sure this was discussed already in his interview with the club.
I wouldn’t agree...Zidane had a system that suited his players and he had better players...they knew how to soak pressure and had the quality on the ball to exploit Liverpool when they had possession. High pressing is Klopps approach but Simone, Zidane, Mourinho, Conte, Poch all have systems...Van Gaal has a system...it sounds foreign to us cause of the Oleball we have become accustomed to...and on any given day one system will come out on top...the key is whoever your manager is, whatever their system is, you trust it and use the squad / pick the team that makes that system most effective...if Ronny fits a Rangnick system then amazing ! Best result...but if he doesn’t...his ego/persona/legacy/standing in the game HAS to come second to what is best for the team.

Some of our fans...(the Ronaldo Lives Matter fans) seemingly don’t appreciate the quality of the young attacking players we have and would rather we sacrifice their development in a proper system in order to build around Ronaldo - who will be here for max another year or two. I find it so short sighted and mind boggling and if Rangnick can make Leipzig a European regular...with the limited quality they have...I can’t wait to see what he does with Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Amad, Elanga etc. That excites me more then watching a us feed Ronaldo for another 2 years.

Zlatattack

I could've picked out a few more posts to highlight but I'm shocked that a lot of people on here don't see Ronaldo as an issue in the 'what do we do when we don't have the ball' phase of Rangnick philosophy. The idea you can press with one less player as Rangnick says is like being 'half pregnant'. We need to be able to separate Ronaldo's ability when we do have the ball ( which is obviously quality) to the liability he is when we don't have the ball. Adding to the matter is that Ronaldo hates being rotated or even subbed. I think he threw a fit after the Everton game when he was subbed in at halftime and also the Tottenham game when Ole subbed him out.

Regardless, in Rangnick system the best playmaker in the team is the 'team press'. The idea being winning the ball back higher up the pitch creates clear goal scoring opportunities as the opposition have less time to get bodies behind the ball and organise defensively.

The question is, does Ronaldo's offensive qualities outweigh his clear flaws when we don't have the ball? So in other words, do we create more chances and concede less with say Cavani/ Rashford or Greenwood upfront then we would with Ronaldo? These are the questions I'm sure Rangnick will need to work through, including weighing up media/fan outcry if he benched or dropped.

My personal view is that a front two of Rashford and Greenwood would be amazing. Within 12-24 months it would be a crazy combination of speed & skill coupled with intense high pressing that would strike fear into opposition teams. The idea that these two are on the bench or rotating while Ronaldo hogs 90mins of every game is bewildering to me. As great as Ronaldo is and has been we should be prioritising our future.
There is a tifo football video about what a Ragnarok United team will look like. It suggests that Ronaldo may not be a problem because he's not expected to track back all the time, rather to cut off passing angles but directing his runs.

I think Ronaldo is likely to do that. He's a winner, he'll do what it takes to win.

The goals he guarantees cannot be replaced so easily.

captaincantona

The goals he guarantees cannot be replaced so easily.
You know we have scored one goal less then last season after the same amount of games don’t you? And 5 of those goals were in a game Ronaldo WASNT playing...Ronaldo has not improved our goal scoring in any way...fact. for pure potency...he has done fuk all for Utd. The goals he guarantees are easily replaced it would seem.

His value has been his experience and unbelievable nack for scoring late goals. The hope is, once Rangnick and his successor gets his hands on our other attacking talent...we won’t need late goals half as much.

Zlatattack

You know we have scored one goal less then last season after the same amount of games don’t you? And 5 of those goals were in a game Ronaldo WASNT playing...Ronaldo has not improved our goal scoring in any way...fact. for pure potency...he has done fuk all for Utd. The goals he guarantees are easily replaced it would seem.

His value has been his experience and unbelievable nack for scoring late goals. The hope is, once Rangnick and his successor gets his hands on our other attacking talent...we won’t need late goals half as much.
We've also been wank this season. Is that all his fault too?

captaincantona

Why so defensive? I didn’t say that...I gave a direct response to a direct statement...”Ronaldo’s goals are not easily replaced” ...I called bullshit...and gave a pretty solid reason. So engage with that...don’t change the subject.

steffyr2

I wouldn’t agree...Zidane had a system that suited his players and he had better players...they knew how to soak pressure and had the quality on the ball to exploit Liverpool when they had possession. High pressing is Klopps approach but Simone, Zidane, Mourinho, Conte, Poch all have systems...Van Gaal has a system...it sounds foreign to us cause of the Oleball we have become accustomed to...and on any given day one system will come out on top...the key is whoever your manager is, whatever their system is, you trust it and use the squad / pick the team that makes that system most effective...if Ronny fits a Rangnick system then amazing ! Best result...but if he doesn’t...his ego/persona/legacy/standing in the game HAS to come second to what is best for the team.

Some of our fans...(the Ronaldo Lives Matter fans) seemingly don’t appreciate the quality of the young attacking players we have and would rather we sacrifice their development in a proper system in order to build around Ronaldo - who will be here for max another year or two. I find it so short sighted and mind boggling and if Rangnick can make Leipzig a European regular...with the limited quality they have...I can’t wait to see what he does with Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Amad, Elanga etc. That excites me more then watching a us feed Ronaldo for another 2 years.
But you're the person who didn't think winning games was important.

I'm one of those people who hasn't found Greenwood particularly impressive. Maybe Rangnick can improve him?
Anyway, this discussion is dull.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
I think that's a bunch of nonsense, really. Klopp doesn't need Ronaldo much because he has Salah and Mane who are deadly in front of the goal. But if you ask Pep the same question, who has a similar intensive style, I'd think he'd pick Ronaldo 10 times out of 10, if he had the opportunity and he'd be strolling the league right now.
No pep will not, you have absolutely no understanding of how Pep plays the game.

captaincantona

But you're the person who didn't think winning games was important.

I'm one of those people who hasn't found Greenwood particularly impressive. Maybe Rangnick can improve him?
Anyway, this discussion is dull.
Ah...again with the purposeful misquoting...I said I don’t care about scraping through CL fixtures against mediocre opponents...I also said exactly the same thing I am saying now...i would sacrifice scraping through the group stages of the CL and then getting whooped by the first decent team we meet ..for a blooding of young players and a system that works to the benefit of our talented squad...not just to the benefit of one player.

Last edited:
I read Rangnick introduced a 4222 at previous clubs, would this suit Ronaldo?
People are getting stuck on this 4222 idea. In the interview where he explains it he clearly says he was playing with 1 number 9, but then that one got injured and the squad player did well, so when the main 9 returned he adapted to 4222 so both could play as both deserved it. He also explains the tactics and benefits.

Deducing from that we can say that at United it might be good as it could give both Cavani and especially Greenwood more playing time down the middle, without depriving Sancho and Rashford/Amad of minutes on the inside forwards as wide 10s

If for whatever reason it doesn’t work or he already thinks our players are not suited to that then he’ll play 433 or 4231

Glorio

Great post - let's not pretend like this isn't a bit of a conundrum

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
People are getting stuck on this 4222 idea. In the interview where he explains it he clearly says he was playing with 1 number 9, but then that one got injured and the squad player did well, so when the main 9 returned he adapted to 4222 so both could play as both deserved it. He also explains the tactics and benefits.

Deducing from that we can say that at United it might be good as it could give both Cavani and especially Greenwood more playing time down the middle, without depriving Sancho and Rashford/Amad of minutes on the inside forwards as wide 10s

If for whatever reason it doesn’t work or he already thinks our players are not suited to that then he’ll play 433 or 4231
I doubt a 4222 will happen because of the available FBs. Shaw in great form can perform in this system I think, but apart from him? Telles might not have the quality, AWB is not able to play attacking enough and Dalot is to weak defensively I think, but maybe Rangnick tries him there.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I have no idea how the two Rs will get on. It's too complicated a question to answer tactically except by trying it out. It could work or it might not depending on a hundred different things.

Possibly the bigger issue will be personality. Is there room for two alphas in the dressing room who both want the world and the tactics to revolve around them?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Possibly the bigger issue will be personality. Is there room for two alphas in the dressing room who both want the world and the tactics to revolve around them?
Good point, but I think the answer is yes, because Rangnick isn't so much about the dressing room. Rangnick will focus his ego and try to imprint himself on the club as a whole, not just the first team. That should leave room for Ronaldo to thrive in that area.

GreatDane

All this 'Ronaldo is the elephant in the room', 'Ronaldo can't press' ect need to stop.

The guy is cut like a greek god, is fitter than many 20 year olds and has a desire to win like no other.
If Ralf says press, Ronaldo will press.

He wont chase the ball for 90 mins but will stand in passing lanes, stress defenders and enjoy the attacking part like a dog in a butcher shop.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ronaldo will score 30 more goals from here till the end of the season under him.

He’s the dream striker under his system. Winning the ball high up close to goal and having a decisive poacher is what Ronaldo has wet dreams about.

I doubt a 4222 will happen because of the available FBs. Shaw in great form can perform in this system I think, but apart from him? Telles might not have the quality, AWB is not able to play attacking enough and Dalot is to weak defensively I think, but maybe Rangnick tries him there.
That’s what appears to be the good thing about Rangnick, he has his ideals about how to play but formation will be suited to the players we have and get the best starting 11 with the best chemistry. Might not find the perfect mix in the first 2-3 games thou.

Ronaldo will score 30 more goals from here till the end of the season under him.

He’s the dream striker under his system. Winning the ball high up close to goal and having a decisive poacher is what Ronaldo has wet dreams about.
Will need the perfect person to play those through balls.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Good point, but I think the answer is yes, because Rangnick isn't so much about the dressing room. Rangnick will focus his ego and try to imprint himself on the club as a whole, not just the first team. That should leave room for Ronaldo to thrive in that area.
It could go either way really. Ronaldo looks very fit but 36 is 36. And he's not used to that style of play so will he learn new tricks? It's foolish to say he will or won't - he may not even be asked to. It will be interesting to watch though.

The Siege

It'll need a lot of work when we don't have the ball. Can certainly be done, but it's not easy, because a lot of this footballing style takes winning the ball high up the field as a priority.
The basic alternative to pleb minds like ours is that he'll be used to cover passing lanes instead of trying to rush a defender, but that takes a level of defensive discipline that Ronaldo hasn't really shown much across his career. Bursts of dedication, yes, but not discipline.

On the flip side, Ronaldo and Cavani are literally the only two players who know how to make off-the-ball runs, something the Church of Ralf values very highly.
We genuinely have players like Mctominay who make runs where they block off their own ball receiving lanes, so Ragnick might value whichever players showcase some degree of intelligence on that front.

I'll believe Ronaldo can't work in a pressing system when I see him play in an actual pressing system and prevent it from functioning effectively.

More importantly, I want to see what happens when he plays in a functional attacking system under a coach with a plan, in a team that actually creates chances.

Then we'll actually see what his net impact on the team is. I'm 99% certain it will be a huge positive.

Nordmore

Agreed.

The football last year was quite disjointed and clueless but watching us this year with Ronaldo up top is simply a whole another level of disjointed, boring, clueless.