Rangnick's January Window

croadyman

As has been said, with an interim manager I'll be surprised if we bring anyone in.

We don't often do much business in January anyway, and while a new manager should make it more likely that we'd bring players in, an interim manager actually makes it less likely.

If we do, it has to be either a CM or RB. But I can't see it happening, or us spending much on any addition if we do - not unless Rangnick staying on as manager is a very real likelihood.

Obviously the interim manager situation hinders the permanent outgoings as well. As does the very high wages. I can see some outgoings - either on free, like Mata, or on loans - the youngsters and maybe some who want to leave. But I can't see us selling any high profile players for a substantial fee - it's a difficult market, and not many clubs usually pay high fees and wages in January.

So I'm not expecting much movement, and certainly little / nothing that will affect the first team squad to any extent.
Yeah I don't see us doing anything either, however think Thursday showed the benefit of having a proper DM in there

Andersonson

Ragnick said after the Burnley game that he had enough players, and he hasn't talked to the board about any incoming transfers. He also said buying in January doesn't make sense

Bertie Wooster

Yeah I don't see us doing anything either, however think Thursday showed the benefit of having a proper DM in there
Yeah, we definitely need a new DM. As we've done for some time now.

But the positions that we didn't get round to improving in the summer - CM and RB - were always likely to be left over to next summer rather than addressed in January. If we'd brought in a new permanent manager mid-season, I'd have higher hopes that we might at least try to address it in the difficult January window. But with an interim I'm expecting us to just leave it to the summer when the permanent manager position has been confirmed.

croadyman

But the positions that we didn't get round to improving in the summer - CM and RB - were always likely to be left over to next summer rather than addressed in January. If we'd brought in a new permanent manager mid-season, I'd have higher hopes that we might at least try to address it in the difficult January window. But with an interim I'm expecting us to just leave it to the summer when the permanent manager position has been confirmed.
I just think we might live to regret not getting one even if it was a bargain like Kamara/Kessie then focus on a CM & RB in the summer

AneRu

Whilst that's understandable I don't see us getting top four without improving midfield and right back and if don't get top four what top manager can we then attract not to mention players like Ronaldo jumping ship and plunging us into another major overhaul. So its counter-productive to not back Rangnick in this window.

red thru&thru

If Ralf thinks somebody is good enough to buy for the long term, he'll buy them in January.

We'll no doubt be after young talent, which if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, we can sell on for little loss. So won't be too much of a risk, compared to buying a player who is 27 years plus.

davidmichael

What’s that based on?
Photo’s from the club the incident took place in and the fact I live in Brighton (have all my life) and know a few people in and around the club who have said as such, he was nailed on for a move to top four club this coming summer with Liverpool and Arsenal favourites to sign him but all interest has ended and there isn’t even any lazy journalists attempting to run with any interest either now.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
outgoings for sure.

VDB looks to be surplus to requirements and I hope Lingard too.
Martial also

If they go then it may leave room for a signing or two

MrSingh2002

Considering Pogba is as good as gone I want Neves in CM.

In the summer we can sign the top class CDM. But I'd like to see us go for Neves in January. I can't see Wolves going against his wishes considering his contribution to Wolves if his desire is to move to a bigger club.

All I see are lazy rumours linking us with RB Leipzig players. Journalists are just googling RB Leipzig squad 2018-19 and looking at the CMs.
Agreed, most of those players are no longer of Rangnick’s profile:
Young players, 23 or under, on their first or second contract.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
outgoings for sure.

VDB looks to be surplus to requirements and I hope Lingard too.
Martial also

If they go then it may leave room for a signing or two
He said in his presser that Donny isn't going anywhere.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But it wouldn't make any difference at all if the likes of Mata and Jones and Heaton weren't in the squad, so they are actually wasting money, not saving it. They wouldn't even need to replace some of the useless squad members, superfluous as they are.
No one is going to take a chance on an injured player until he proves his fitness so I think summer is probably more realistic for Jones

Crashoutcassius

Ole said the same sort of stuff.
He should leave
so did ferguson, he shouldn't have come to a big club if he wanted to be guaranteed to start after average performances. hopefully he fights for his place and gets it, although doesn't look good for him when ralf agrees with oles decision to not play him i admit that.

SouthernRedDev

I like that Anthony Martial can only move if the entirety of his wages are covered by the loan team, not because i want him to stay, because if he really wants to move he himself could accept a pay cut to facilitate his departure. Ive never understood why footballers wages never go down, they regularly move companies but only ever demand higher wages. (People say which club could afford player A's wages, like its unthinkable tgat they could ever be payed less)

Lentwood

I like that Anthony Martial can only move if the entirety of his wages are covered by the loan team, not because i want him to stay, because if he really wants to move he himself could accept a pay cut to facilitate his departure. Ive never understood why footballers wages never go down, they regularly move companies but only ever demand higher wages. (People say which club could afford player A's wages, like its unthinkable tgat they could ever be payed less)
I agree with your sentiment but from a purely economic perspective, if you failed to perform at work, you would be fired and would probably have to accept a lower salary elsewhere. Footballers sign long term contracts guaranteeing their employment and salary, so there's little incentive for them to move for massively reduced wages.

It again comes down to the failure of our executives. Giving players like Rashford and Martial £200K and £250K respectively when the likes of Mane earns £110K is why we get ourselves in such a mess

dinostar77

Hopefully the club can move a few players on this summer (matic, mata, lingard, martial, perreira, pogba, jones, henderson) and free up funds and squad numbers for registrations.

Personally two new CM's would be nice. A passer and a destroyer but i think one will be all we will get. Beyond that i have no idea where the club would look to strengthen. Maybe a replacement for cavani if he decides not to stay for another year.

Rocknrolla69er

Clear as day we need a CM who can influence a game and not stand next to our cbs.

Neves would be a good start.
A RB is a must too. Awb is shocking really shoddy in possession.

Leg-End

You could be the manager of Man Utd and within 10 minutes ask for a CM, pretty baffling it's continually ignored window after window.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Building the team in January... Ralf is truly f*cked but it must happen at some point.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not just midfield. We also need fullbacks. Since we are relying a lot on full backs right now, we need ''top class'' not just good full backs.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If United are 100% focused on backing Rangnick and finally taking a new direction, they need to stop the rot now. What better time then this month ? might aswell start in this transfer window.
Time for the right decisions, unpopular or otherwise, because we, as fans, are completely fed up with this club now.
Get out the rotten apples.

MUFC OK

Must get a number 6 or we can kiss goodbye to top 4 and a shot at either of the cups.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm more interested in United getting shot of a few players than bringing ones in.
Just totally fed up with these individuals.

Infra-red

Backing Rangnick with a few signings would at least signal his authority to the existing players (shipping out some of the work-shy/dead wood would do the same). Hopefully, we see some activity.

Satsuma United

United should sign Kilman this january before this amazing prospect costs 60M.

He is still young and will become a top CB for both England and his club.

Put 30M on the Wolves table tomorrow, sign him up right away, sell Bailly and problem solved.

Lee565

I would really like Neves in this team.
I would take an ageing Moutinho for a 18 month spell whilst we try revamp our midfield in the summer..... hopefully, we should have recruited him a few seasons back as he has been class in the premier league.