Rangnick's last Press Conference | Crystal Palace (A) | PL

Dante

Average bang
Team news and Europa League ambitions
"We once again have quite a few players missing and another couple of players with question marks, quite a few missing. Still positive we will have a strong starting XI and can finish the season on a higher note. I'm positive players want to get things right and show everybody they're capable of playing a lot better than they did against Brighton. And I'm positive they would much rather play Europa League than Conference League, so they they will get to play Thursday evening rather than Tuesday or Wednesday. But I think it's still a big difference if a club like Manchester United place in the Europa League rather than the Conference League. You could see that the day before yesterday with Frankfurt, who finished bottom half of Bundesliga but are now in the Champions League. This should also be an incentive to everybody that we qualify for the Europa League."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
More on team news
"A few definitely missing, but please understand I don't want to name them all right now. There are still question marks. Luke Shaw's wife gave birth to their second baby today. He was supposed to be back for training tomorrow, but apparently he isn't. We have to wait and see if he'll be available for the bench. At today's training one of two couldn't finish because they had problems, that was Jadon and Phil Jones."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Spoken to Ten Hag
"We have been in contact, via WhatsApp, hopefully we'll have chance to meet and speak in person either at weekend or Monday morning at latest. I'm looking forward to speaking to him in person."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Pitch invasions
"I think it is new. It hasn't happened in last few years, but it happened in Germany on a couple occasions in the last weeks and months. There seems to be an unfortunate trend. I didn't see it in person - what happened yesterday - but as long as it's peaceful, it's okay. But if opponents are being involved I don't think that should happen."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Garnacho a doubt
"Unfortunately Alejandro was ill in the last couple of days. He was training with us last week until midweek. Today was the first training session he was back again, he might be back but not sure if he is physically fit enough to play."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick's biggest disappointment at United in fixing problems he identified
"We spoke about that quite at length in previous press conferences. I think that since we dropped out at Atletico, we have lost confidence and energy in the team. Until then we stabilised the team defensively, compared to the team that shipped 4 goals to Watford away. Until that Atlectico game were were much more stable defensively. We also had a few games where we scored goals, when we played well. But what didn't happen was that this development was made in a sustainable way. We couldn't keep that on a regular level. Either we had problems to score goals or to keep goals from being scored against us. Since Atletico we just didn't find our shape or our form again. This has got to do with confidence. But also with mentality, team spirit, and togetherness. This is my biggest disappointment - that we didn't develop a team spirit that helped us in the difficult part of the league and in games."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Confident in United future
"I still strongly believe that there is a core of players who are top, who are well worth and good enough to play for this club. Hopefully most of those will be still here next season. If the board, Erik, the scouting department and I will help them with all the issues; if we bring in the mentality right players; quality players;then I am positive we will be able to bring this club back on track but also the top. Maybe it won't be possible in one window, but I'm very positive it can happen in next two or three windows."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick's future at the club
"We spoke about that in detail, about all the different areas where I could maybe be of help. It's not that difficult to know in which areas this could be. I think we've shown that in the last 15 years at Hoffenheim, Salzburg and Leipzig. But even at clubs not as prominent as Manchester United it is possible to identify, develop and sell. I know that Manchester United should not normally be a selling club, but rather a buying or developing club. This is what is most important, that the club finds players for whom it is the next logical step in their career. To develop their sporting careers. And if that happens, I'm more than positive that I can tell our fans that we will bring Manchester United back to the top."

Last edited:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
"We spoke about that in detail, how I could be of help. I think we showed at Hoffenheim, Salzburg and Leipzig that is is possible to identify, develop and sell. This is what is most important for whom it is the next logical step in their career."
Wait? What? United have to behave like a 'stepping stone' club now?

EDIT: I finally got what he was saying ... no need to respond to this!

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Spoken to Ten Hag
"We have been in contact, via WhatsApp, hopefully we'll have chance to meet and speak in person either at weekend or Monday morning at latest. I'm looking forward to speaking to him in person."
I would give good money to read this whatsapp chat!

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Literally read the next sentence
I didn't understand the next sentence? I heard him speak ... I didn't get the context at all. Imagine Guardiola talking about Southampton's recruitment strategy at the end of a difficult season.

Abhinav

I didn't understand the next sentence? I heard him speak ... I didn't get the context at all. Imagine Guardiola talking about Southampton's recruitment strategy at the end of a difficult season.
I think its quite clear that he is indicating that we should buy players who have the talent and are in the right trajectory to reach their maximum potential with us than players who are already at peak and are about to decline or players who are in decline and see us as a retirement home. Like anything this strategy needs balance, where you could make exceptions for the betterment of the team.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
City's recruitment isn't worse than Southampton's, United's is.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Throwback to his first presser against the same opposition. Caf was treating every word like he was the second coming of Jesus.

MonkeysMagic

If people cannot see through the detritus of players we have accumulated by going for the 'names' and what RR is trying to say by being more intelligent in the transfer market...there is no hope!

miked99

Wait? What? United have to behave like a 'stepping stone' club now?
He literally says in the next sentence that United aren't generally a selling club. He was making the point that we should be looking to bring in hungry players who see United as a step up, and saying this is the policy he's followed at previous clubs. Buy hungry players with potential for development, improve them and sell them on. The caveat he put in was that United aren't like the other clubs he mentioned in that they aren't generally doing this with an aim to sell players on, but apart from that the process remains the same.

tomaldinho1

He is saying what he has done with other clubs of a lesser stature and then immediately says obviously that’s not what United will do. There’s no way to not understand that quote.

Robertd0803

It began with Crystal Palace and ended with Crystal Palace.
It began with 30 minutes of gegenpress. Can we get another 30 before he goes?
Well considering we were knackered after 20 minutes of pressing Palace the first time and gave up the ghost I think it unlikely sadly.

edcunited1878

City, Chelsea, Liverpool have all identified, signed, developed, and sold players who weren't good enough for them but provided plenty of fees...and that had aided their buying and selling. United have to be much better in knowing when to buy and sell.

mu4c_20le

He literally says in the next sentence that United aren't generally a selling club. He was making the point that we should be looking to bring in hungry players who see United as a step up, and saying this is the policy he's followed at previous clubs. Buy hungry players with potential for development, improve them and sell them on. The caveat he put in was that United aren't like the other clubs he mentioned in that they aren't generally doing this with an aim to sell players on, but apart from that the process remains the same.
We've always bought young hungry players, the problem is when they are no longer hungry after making it.

erikcred

City, Chelsea, Liverpool have all identified, signed, developed, and sold players who weren't good enough for them but provided plenty of fees...and that had aided their buying and selling. United have to be much better in knowing when to buy and sell.
We should stop extending contracts stupidly. Mourinho, Ole, even Bruno's contracts were extended too soon. Where were they going to go?

By the way, City have bought a lot of duds. They just eat the loss and sell before the player loses too much value and move on. Liverpool have a generational manager in Klopp that makes their players look way better than they are and so get better fees when selling. What have Ings, Solanke, etc done after leaving Liverpool?

arthurka

Again he is a breath of fresh air. No games no bullshit. Hope we keep him around for a long time

Trex

There's a difference between buying Sancho at the point we did and buying Sancho at the time Dortmund did.
Which do you think Ralf is talking about when referring to signing players who see united as an obvious step up?

kundalini

The next logical step in their career (from his press conference):

Fellaini - yes
Mata - not so much
Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Blind - yes
Di Maria, Falcao - no
Schneiderlin, Darmian, Memphis, Martial - yes
Schweinsteiger - no
Zlatan - no
Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan - yes
Lindelof, Lukaku - yes
Matic, Sanchez - no
Dalot - early
Fred - yes
Wan-Bissaka, Maguire - yes
Dan James - bit of a leap from Championship
Fernandes - yes
Van de Beek, Telles - yes
Amad, Pellistri - seems early in their career
Cavani - no
Ronaldo, Varane - no
Sancho - yes

While it would have prevented some of the disasters, it clearly isn't sufficient on its own.

We have bought a huge number of star players who rely on their team mates to do the less glamorous side of the game, while having very few hard workers in our team.

Last edited:

Irwin99

There's a difference between buying Sancho at the point we did and buying Sancho at the time Dortmund did.
Which do you think Ralf is talking about when referring to signing players who see united as an obvious step up?
Good point. Recruitment and the right scouting are vital though. We have had this approach before (on a smaller scale) buying 'up and coming' players or players taking the next step like Dalot, Diallo, Depay, Shaw and James etc. and more often than not it's been unsuccessful. Meanwhile Liverpool buy Robertson, Mane, Wijnaldum etc. and they go on to be first team players for +5 seasons.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
"This has got to do with confidence. But also with mentality, team spirit, and togetherness. This is my biggest disappointment - that we didn't develop a team spirit that helped us in the difficult part of the league and in games."

'He should have sat down': Ralf Rangnick blames Paul Pogba's final act as a Man United player for contributing to Liverpool's opener in 4-0 thrashing with departing £89m man failing to tell the referee he was injured

Ralf Rangnick blames Manchester United players for poor showing vs Everton

Rangnick pins blame on wasteful Man Utd players

Ralf Rangnick Blames 3 Manchester United Players For The Shock FA Cup Elimination

Ralf Rangnick says wasteful Manchester United only have themselves to blame after making an embarrassing early FA Cup exit at home to ...

I absolutely hate fingerpointing rethoric from above. It can be as true as you like, you dont put the blame for anything on anyone else but yourself when you are the man in charge. It was shitty with Jose and its equaly shitty with Ralf

edcunited1878

We should stop extending contracts stupidly. Mourinho, Ole, even Bruno's contracts were extended too soon. Where were they going to go?

By the way, City have bought a lot of duds. They just eat the loss and sell before the player loses too much value and move on. Liverpool have a generational manager in Klopp that makes their players look way better than they are and so get better fees when selling. What have Ings, Solanke, etc done after leaving Liverpool?
Bruno's contract was extended 1 year but was given a higher wage, which has been justified.

The point is that there are other clubs who are able to offload players better than United, which gives them the flexibility to buy players. United could have sold Rojo for much more, but for whatever reason didn't when there was a legit suitor for him and no real need for him as a United player at the time.

Who cares what they do, but Solanke was sold for 20M quid instead of being held on like a Bailly, Jones, Pereria, etc.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The next logical step in their career (from his press conference):

Fellaini - yes
Mata - not so much
Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Blind - yes
Di Maria, Falcao - no
Schneiderlin, Darmian, Memphis, Martial - yes
Schweinsteiger - no
Zlatan - no
Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan - yes
Lindelof, Lukaku - yes
Matic, Sanchez - no
Dalot - early
Fred - yes
Wan-Bissaka, Maguire - yes
Dan James - bit of a leap from Championship
Fernandes - yes
Van de Beek, Telles - yes
Amad, Pellistri - seems early in their career
Cavani - no
Ronaldo, Varane - no
Sancho - yes

While it would have prevented some of the disasters, it clearly isn't sufficient on its own.

We have bought a huge number of star players who rely on their team mates to do the less glamorous side of the game, while having very few hard workers in our team.
Yes to what and no to what?

afatzp

I think he is referring the deal with Harland back then , in which we should have taken it instead of letting Dortmund have him.

We are not necessarily a selling club, but if Harland perform well with us, we also could renew and remove those release clauses. Even Harland not willing to renew and remove those clauses, getting Harland for 25M and selling for 75M is still a good business.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's been a quality last 6 months.

I don't think anyone can disagree with that. Thanks for all you've done Ralf.

Someone will bite. Someone dim.