Rank our post-SAF managers

MichaelRed

Mourinho - Most trophies
LvG - Entertaining pressers, fourth official dive, FA cup
Moyes - Some exciting Januzaj moments, we them Moyes boys, only suffered for 8 months, no trophies
Ole - Half a billion spent, no trophies, 3 years wasted in general but especially in the development of young players like Mason.

Vaibhav Raj

Mourinho won the EL and League Cup, and got to an FA Cup final, and had a better win % and massively better defensive record and his 2nd place finish was higher points than Ole...so I don't know if its fair to say he's being ranked on the Europa League alone.
Mourinho won an EL and League Cup while Solskjaer got to few finals and lost them. Mourinho finished 2nd and 6th while Solskjaer finished 2nd and 3rd Mourinho's team played absolutely dogshit football while Solskjaer team played much better on their day. Mourinho threw players under the bus openly, created toxicity and Solskjaer defended his. Solskjaer lost games to rivals in absolutely unacceptable manner and Mourinho didn't lose as badly but his team's never did well against big six. So, when we see the overall picture, take into accounts all tournaments and take into account the in-game performances, the players bought, the behavior, and we should because we are talking about a Manchester United manager, both managers were almost equally out of their depth while leading a club of the stature of Manchester United. Mourinho did a fair bit of damage/bad for the two trophies he won. So that, for me, negates it. If you want to rank just by trophies won during their tenure then sure, Mou is the winner. Sure trophies are more important thing in football. But is like saying X player is better because he scored more goals which the most important thing in a match. But we all know the overall performances are what that matters

Last edited:

Ixion

Mourinho won an EL and League Cup while Solskjaer got to three finals and lost them. Mourinho finished 2nd and 6th while Solskjaer finished 2nd and 2nd.
Which 3 finals did Ole get to again? Back to back 2nd place finishes would have been nice had it happened.

Jack Landers

Mourinho won an EL and League Cup while Solskjaer got to three finals and lost them. Mourinho finished 2nd and 6th while Solskjaer finished 2nd and 2nd. Mourinho's team played absolutely dogshit football while Solskjaer team played much better on their day. Mourinho threw players under the bus openly, created toxicity and Solskjaer defended his. Solskjaer lost games to rivals in absolutely unacceptable manner and Mourinho didn't lose as badly but his team's never did well against big six. So, when we see the overall picture, take into accounts all tournaments and take into account the in-game performances, the players bought, the behavior, and we should because we are talking about a Manchester United manager, both managers were almost equally out of their depth while leading a club of the stature of Manchester United.
This is a joke right? Mourinho was the only hire post fergie, that the manager has a better cv than the players. Sure he was toxic towards the end etc but nv was he out of his depth. In fact, it was the otherway. The club didn't want to compete and didn't trust him. Look at the players he wanted to get rid -martial, pogba, shaw etc. How are they doing btw? His crime was he wanted fighters on the pitch and not primadonnas.

Vaibhav Raj

Which 3 finals did Ole get to again? Back to back 2nd place finishes would have been nice had it happened.
My bad there. Let me rephrase Solskjaer finished 2nd and 3rd in his mangerial reign whereas Mourinho managed to drop out of top four and into sixth position.

Last edited:

AndyMUFC

Mourinho - Won two trophies, finished second and reached an FA Cup Final before it went south although played shit football and left us with many mediocre players.
Ole - Had the most highs without a trophy, probably the least shit football of the four too when you look at his whole tenure though not saying much. Definitely left us in the best position.
LVG - Entertaining as hell off the pitch, couldn't stand his football on it. Did win the FA Cup but he also left us with more shit than anyone.
Moyes - Started the whole mess. Had less time to have any highs to be fair to him and it was always a poisoned chalice but yeah he did not make good decisions.

OTRightWinger07

mourinho should be up there cuz he won a trophy

but in terms of passion, commitment to the club, supporters involvement and signings i still think ole has been our best manager post-SAF:

ole
mourinho
van gaal
moyes

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I will say that I hate Van Gaal the most, and Ole while a terrible manager is still likeable and a legend at the club. That said I don't want to rank a turd above another. They all needed to be flushed.

marktan

- Jose - tried, good signings, before the inevitable meltdown
- Ole - good signings, just not a top coach, stabilisied things for a while. At least we have a strongish squad now.
- Moyes - shite but got no time, at least didn't do any damage. I enjoyed watching Januzaj and co
- Van Gaal - won a FA cup but sold our young good players and replaced them with absolute shite - Schniederlin, Darmian, Schwiensteiger, Depay.. Vs Jonny Evans, Rafael, Nani, Welbeck, hell even Michael Keane. Put us back years Vs City who had a good core to add to when Pep came Vs us who had nothing when Mourinho came in. Pure shite. The one manager we've had that actively made things worse

Ixion

Just counting full seasons, in the seasons they didn't get CL football, Jose and Van Gaal both got a trophy/ies whereas Ole got CL football twice and no trophies. I think basically any United manager with the resources we have should be getting top 4 and in contention for winning something so I don't think any of them overachieved, I think they all more or less achieved slightly below par in one way or another with Jose slightly ahead as 80 points and 3 finals is the closest thing to where we should be.

OrcaFat

Just counting full seasons, in the seasons they didn't get CL football, Jose and Van Gaal both got a trophy/ies whereas Ole got CL football twice and no trophies. I think basically any United manager with the resources we have should be getting top 4 and in contention for winning something so I don't think any of them overachieved, I think they all more or less achieved slightly below par in one way or another with Jose slightly ahead as 80 points and 3 finals is the closest thing to where we should be.
Yes, a fair assessment.

SAFMUTD

They definitely mocked us for Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho. For all 3 there were chants of sacked in the morning during their bad periods.
We're these chants sang in other stadiums where we weren't playing? Honest question because I don't recall that.

bucky

We're these chants sang in other stadiums where we weren't playing? Honest question because I don't recall that.
I'm fairly certain, yes. Especially Moyes, I remember. Not that we should focus too much on it.

SAFMUTD

I'm fairly certain, yes. Especially Moyes, I remember. Not that we should focus too much on it, mind you.
I could understand Moyes, but I certainly don't remember anyone signing against LVG or Mourinho in other stadiums.

If you got any video or evidence please share it, not calling you a liar or anything but I think I would remember something like that.

bucky

I could understand Moyes, but I certainly don't remember anyone signing against LVG or Mourinho in other stadiums.

If you got any video or evidence please share it, not calling you a liar or anything but I think I would remember something like that.
https://strettynews.com/2018/12/16/liverpool-fans-mock-mourinho-with-chant-in-3-1-win-over-man-utd/

First thing I found. I am sure there are some for van Gaal. Why is this so important to you? I was just saying in general that there was hardly any difference in how bad it got towards the end with all our previous managers post Ferguson. Rival fans are obviously going to to mock us.

SAFMUTD

https://strettynews.com/2018/12/16/liverpool-fans-mock-mourinho-with-chant-in-3-1-win-over-man-utd/

First thing I found. I am sure there are some for van Gaal. Why is this so important to you? I was just saying in general that there was hardly any difference in how bad it got towards the end with all our previous managers post Ferguson. Rival fans are obviously going to to mock us.
The link you mention says Liverpool mocked Mourinho in a game against us. I'm pretty sure that happened many times.

What I'm saying is if it happened in other stadiums where we weren't playing. Like yesterday in the Arsenal vs Liverpool both fans weren't singing "Ole's at the wheel" it happened also in the Leeds stadium, and many others. We because a laughing stock, that's why it matters to me.

We were so clearly shit that every team in the league felt entitled to mock us, we can't allow that to happen.

bucky

The link you mention says Liverpool mocked Mourinho in a game against us. I'm pretty sure that happened many times.

What I'm saying is if it happened in other stadiums where we weren't playing. Like yesterday in the Arsenal vs Liverpool both fans weren't singing "Ole's at the wheel" it happened also in the Leeds stadium, and many others. We because a laughing stock, that's why it matters to me.

We were so clearly shit that every team in the league felt entitled to mock us, we can't allow that to happen.
Don't think the difference matters really, whether they play against us or in any other game.

Kopral Jono

At least Ole cared about the club to the end, was just out of his depth. Mourinho talked about ‘football heritage’ and put down the club for his own weird ramblings. Nothing will ever be as toxic as Mourinho in my opinion.
I agree. As bad as Ole was, and it was atrociously bad, Mourinho was pure toxic with his weird little psychological games with his own players and stuff like that. All things considered the former is the worst since Fergie football-wise in my opinion, but I'd still have him any day of the week over the latter.

LVG
Mourinho
OGS
Moyes

Solksjaer is a worse coach than Moyes but he is a much better man manager than he was, overall he got more from the players than Moyes did.

Red-17

In terms of pure success/numbers, I would go Mourinho > Ole > LVG > Moyes.

However, if you factor in watchability, not fostering a toxic environment, and the state of the squad they left behind, then I would put Ole ahead of Mourinho.

If we can bring in a top manager, there is no reason we cannot compete from day one without any additions. A solid defensive mid and we have a squad to seriously compete for the league and Champions league. That wasn't the case with Jose. Partly it was down to the board not backing him, but part of the reason for that was his own fault. The players that he did get in he didn't make use of. He got two new center halves and then demanded another one the next window. He never got anything out of Fred, and he fell out with Pogba. Why should the board have trusted him with more money? With Ole, he may not have got the best out of every signing (VdB especially), but they are pretty much all quality players. People are down on Maguire and AWB right now, but they have shown their quality and will do again.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is pretty obvious.
1) Jose. 2 trophies. Back to back CL spot. 2nd with 81 point.
2) Lvg. Fa cup. Good in big games. Trashing of Liverpool and City at OT were joy to watch

Ole and Moyes were both disasters.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Schniederlin, Darmian, Schwiensteiger, Depay.. Vs Jonny Evans, Rafael, Nani, Welbeck, hell even Michael Keane.
Jonny Evans is still a better defender than Maguire. We've signed some dross in the 30 years I've supported United but the last 10 years take some topping. Don't forget Di Maria and Falcao as well...

Moriarty

Solksjaer is a worse coach than Moyes but he is a much better man manager than he was, overall he got more from the players than Moyes did.
Moyes inherited Fergie's champions and brought with him a second-rate coaching staff and made Rio watch Jagielka videos. They were never going to go along with that. I do think Ole has managed the personalities at United well but just couldn't weld them into a team. Pity really.

wolvored

Jose won 2 trophies
LVG won 1 trophy
Ole spent a fortune for feck all
Moyes took a premiership winning team down to 7th.

Dante

Average bang
The only trophies that matter are the Premier League and Champions League. And maybe to a lesser extent the FA Cup.

The Europa League is tin pot that's given to team that lose out on top 4, or that lose in FA Cup final, or that lose in the League Cup final, or that lose in the group stages of the CL. It should be renamed the Losers League.

The League Cup is another tin pot that's mostly used for blooding youngster and giving squad players a run-out.

The only creditable trophy we've won post-Fergie is the FA Cup under LvG. But that was a season when we finished 5th in the PL and scored only 49 goals in 38 league games. So feck that.

Neither Jose nor LvG deserve any significant credit for their hollow trophy victories. The lasting damage they left behind mitigates most of that anyway.

Ole is the only manager who hasn't left the club with long term scars, and who walks away from a squad that's better than the one he started with. He's been our clear best manager since 2013.

Ixion

The only trophies that matter are the Premier League and Champions League. And maybe to a lesser extent the FA Cup.

The Europa League is tin pot that's given to team that lose out on top 4, or that lose in FA Cup final, or that lose in the League Cup final, or that lose in the group stages of the CL. It should be renamed the Losers League.

The League Cup is another tin pot that's mostly used for blooding youngster and giving squad players a run-out.

The only creditable trophy we've won post-Fergie is the FA Cup under LvG. But that was a season when we finished 5th in the PL and scored only 49 goals in 38 league games. So feck that.

Neither Jose nor LvG deserve any significant credit for their hollow trophy victories. The lasting damage they left behind mitigates most of that anyway.

Ole is the only manager who hasn't left the club with long term scars, and who walks away from a squad that's better than the one he started with. He's been our clear best manager since 2013.
So what you're saying is Ole didn't win any of the trophies that matter after 400 million and couldn't even win a tinpot trophy.

The Bloody-Nine

So what you're saying is Ole didn't win any of the trophies that matter after 400 million and couldn't even win a tinpot trophy.
You have to laugh. Trophies that Ole couldn't win don't matter. Hang on, that's all of them.

VivaRonaldo85

1) Jose - two trophies and terrific points return to finish second with a fairly average squad that season. Left the club toxic though as is his standard.
2) LVG - a good record in big games and won a trophy. Did sign dross and the football at times was diabolical though.
3) Ole - improved squad from arrival to departure. Apart from that, very little else achieved in his tenure apart from a lot of money spent. Morale back to basement levels which he inherited 3 years ago.
4) Moyes - an impossible job but clueless at what it would take. Made us believe we should have a small time mentality very quick post Fergie.

All in all, it’s been a fairly torrid 8.5 years and the bandwagon rolls on.

The Hilton

Ole
LvG

Mou
Moyes

Honestly the 2nd tier trophies Mourinho won weren't worth his weekly press conferences denigrating the club. I was tempted to put him beneath Moyes just because of his continuously insulting the club and fans, but Moyes was such a disaster it outweighed them.

LvG was a nutjob, and the football was tumescent, but respected the club and was another that I wanted to do well. Ole was our only manager consistent enough to back up a top 4 finish. Ended up in similar form to Mourinho in his final season, but managed to do it without making it everybody else's fault.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's really a dross list. Mourinho did better than the rest and I'm not sure who was worse between Moyes and Ole, probably Ole as he was given a lot more time and resources and did just as bad in the end.

Eplel

Our squad is only better on paper. It will take someone's hard work to turn them into a team.

If you think that Ole's "Just express yourselves" style of coaching didn't leave scars to the club, you're not paying attention.

LawmanMan

For me it would be

Mourinho
Moyes
OGS
LVG

The amount of damage LVG did to the club by gutting the squad cannot be overstated. An FA Cup cannot make up for that. OGS vastly underperformed given the resources he was given, and has left a hell of a mess for the next coach to sort out. Moyes disappointed, but was not given any time to improve things. He had our best European run in years too. Jose spent a hell of a lot, but got the Europa League.

James35

Jose. LVG. Ole. Moyes.

Moyes surely has to be last due to his short time managing us. He was clearly out of his depth but certainly no more than Ole. Maybe Moyes could have done just as well with 400m spent and almost 3 years.

LawmanMan

LVG
Mourinho
OGS
Moyes

Doubt Jesse Lingard or Fellaini would agree!