Rank our post-SAF managers

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With Ole's time now at an end, how would you currently rank the Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole eras relative to each other?

Who did the best (AKA least worse) job? Who did the most damage? Who will you remember with fondness and who was poison?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
With Ole's time now at an end, how would you currently rank the Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole eras relative to each other?

Who did the best (AKA least worse) job? Who did the most damage? Who will you remember with fondness and who was poison?
All shite

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If you’re going objectively by trophies it has to be Jose, LvG, Ole, Moyes, but I do think Ole left us with the best squad and if we get a top manager in to win stuff with it he will probably be held in higher regard then. You could also argue that aside from this season it was probably the least toxic reign of any of the managers and most positive, which counts for something.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
All so shit really.

Mou
Ole
LVG
Moyes.

Bratt

The answers to all these questions is probably Mourinho

Ixion

I think a Europa League trophy is a good achievementf, plus a league Cup and FA Cup Final, and an 80+ points finish so Mourinho has to be top.

Ole has had the longest, spent the most, won no trophy and I think has a worse CL record than Jose so I don't see how he can be ranked first.

LVG was my favourite personality, shame about the football

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Van Gaal
Ole
Mourinho
Moyes

Mike Smalling

1. Mourinho - Won us a couple of trophies at least
2. Van Gaal - FA Cup win and entertaining character
3. Ole - Deserves some praise for clearing out squad, but all turned to shit
4. Moyes - Shit all the way around

Idxomer

Results and Performances
Jose
LVG
Ole
Moyes

In terms of Likability
LVG
Ole
Moyes
Jose

Overall, I only liked LVG but wasn't sad to see him go or anything like that.

Zen86

For me Ole's tenure had the most excitement. Obviously it was lacking silverware, but it on the whole I found the highs to be more enjoyable than the others. That said, they've all worked out pretty shite for various reasons. Mourinho is the man I would like to see back at this club the least. I would probably just call it a day if that happened.

Reactions: Livvie

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Who was the least terrible?

1) Ole
=2) Van Gaal
=2) Mourinho
4) Moyes

All terrible appointments. Ole by far the best but that isn't saying much at all.

justboy68

LVG
Mourinho
Solskjaer
Moyes

LVG mainly because I found him hilarious. Also we were able to dominate possession (despite doing feck all with it) and the team was clearly coached and he gave a bunch of academy players a chance. All of them have been failures though.

Agila Dathi

Ole was worse than the man that dragged a PL winning side down to fecking 7th?
Only SAF could've won the league with that squad, plus Scholes retired and Moyes was only able to bring Fellaini in until january when we got Mata. Ole has spent more than 400m and has never got out of the group stage in CL. And we are currently 7th with negative goal difference. So yeah, Ole is worse than Moyes imo.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Mourinho
LVG
Moyes
OGS

Who could have predicted better qualified managers for the job get better results when all is said and done?

Have you looked at the table? We're on the worst run I have ever seen. And it's not just the dropped points, but also the disgraceful performances. Ole would be closer to getting relegated than 7th had he been allowed to finish out the season. So he's less shite of a manager because the board sacked him sooner than Moyes, that's hardly a reason to question others. They weren't exactly a PL winning side. They won a PL title with the GOAT manager and it was an aging squad. Also Moyes only bought one dud, which is a better transfer record than all of his successors combined.

Eplel

Shit

------------

Mourinho/LVG

------------

Moyes

------------

More shit

_______

Ole

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
LvG's signings make him clear clear bottom.
Suppose the interesting thing there is how much we blame the managers for the signings under their reign.

For example I'm sure LVG would counter that he was repeatedly given his third and fourth choice picks, as he has publicly said that was the case.

And while Moyes was initially blamed for his disastrous first transfer window, I think it's clear from the windows after him that there were problems above the manager as well.

AndySmith1990

Solely in terms of the overall job they did whilst here:

Jose
LVG
Solskjaer
Moyes

LVG and Jose won trophies which by itself puts them ahead of the others. Moyes was simply a disaster. We had some good results with Solskjaer at least.

But in terms of being knowledgeable, competent managers, I'd rank Solskjaer far, far behind them all. Without hundreds of millions of pounds propping him up he'd struggle massively at any other club. He certainly couldn't replicate the job Moyes is doing at West Ham.

C3Pique

LVG
Mourinho
Solskjaer
Moyes

LVG mainly because I found him hilarious. Also we were able to dominate possession (despite doing feck all with it) and the team was clearly coached and he gave a bunch of academy players a chance. All of them have been failures though.
Truth. Give LVG the resources that Ole has and he'd be around the top of the league. Varane and Sancho instead of Paddy McNair and Memphis in an actual functional footballing system.

Man-United

Truth. Give LVG the resources that Ole has and he'd be around the top of the league. Varane and Sancho instead of Paddy McNair and Memphis in an actual functional footballing system.
Haha no chance. Did you even watch LvG's signings? Worst manager.

Red Star One

Mou
LVG
Moyes
Ole

And I don’t think it’s contradictory to say Ole’s period was more exciting than most of Moyes and LVG, yet he was obviously an inferior manager. The fact he was the only one of the group to have been consistently backed by the board and given a checkbook of almost half a billion pounds also naturally matters.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wasted 3 years, half a billion and ended up below what he took over. Yea he’s worse due to stinking up the place a lot longer than Moyes.

kps88

Ole
LVG
Jose
Moyes

I know, I know. Trophies and all. But I don't think one penalty kick should make that much of a difference. Under Ole was the only time I genuinely enjoyed watching us and would look forward to the games each week. He got me liking the squad again. That never happened under the rest. Even when we would go on a good run under Jose or LVG, the football was dreadful. Jose threw his toys out of the pram and moved to protect himself the moment things got tough and LVG's transfer record was dreadful.

Foxbatt

The answers to all these questions is probably Mourinho
Yes you are right. He gave us the best night and the worst too. He was poison but he is also the least likeable because of his behaviour. Ole probably was the most liked as a person but I like LVG too as he himself was most entertaining unlike the team.

PoTMS

From a coaching perspective, it's Van Gaal all day. From a silverware winning perspective, it's clearly Mourinho. The other two were pretty shit on both counts.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Still hold the belief that LVG set us back years by gutting the squad and completely trying to change to a new system.

Yes, Fergie’s team was aging, we just needed quality reinforcements, not a wholesale fire change.