Rank our post-SAF managers

el3mel

Mourinho
LvG
Moyes
Ole

Ole is by far the worst one if you put into consideration the amount of money spent and what we achieved during this period.

Spent the most, was backed the most, got the most time, and achieved the least. Easily the worst of them all when you think about that.

Moyes barely spent any money and didn't get any time for example.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mourinho - Most trophies
LvG - Entertaining pressers, fourth official dive, FA cup
Moyes - Some exciting Januzaj moments, we them Moyes boys, only suffered for 8 months, no trophies
Ole - Half a billion spent, no trophies, 3 years wasted in general but especially in the development of young players like Mason.
How the heck can anyone rate Moyes higher?

He picked up champions and was so crap he had to be removed before even completing one season! Ending in 7th, below his old mob!

Ole had nowhere near the same privilege of what he picked up, took us to 2nd, and narrowly lost a trophy on pens. However people might not like those facts and are focusing on this season's disaster, they happened. Same as Mourinho won a couple of pots before an equally woeful last half season.

He'sRaldo

For some reason LVG especially gets judged by his lows, while Ole gets judged by his highs.

If we're talking the lowest we have ever sank post SAF, it'd have to be Ole. As for the highest point we've reached, I'd say Jose.

IMO overall it would be:

LVG
Jose
Moyes
Ole

LawmanMan

He picked up champions and was so crap he had to be removed before even completing one season! Ending in 7th, below his old mob!

Ole had nowhere near the same privilege of what he picked up, took us to 2nd, and narrowly lost a trophy on pens. However people might not like those facts and are focusing on this season's disaster, they happened. Same as Mourinho won a couple of pots before an equally woeful last half season.
Moyes did limited damage. It was LVG who took a chainsaw to the squad and brought in a boatload of mercenaries.

JB7

Truth. Give LVG the resources that Ole has and he'd be around the top of the league. Varane and Sancho instead of Paddy McNair and Memphis in an actual functional footballing system.
Are you off your fecking head? He signed Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Rojo & Valdes in one transfer window & then Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Memphis, Darmian, Martial and Romero the following year.

He was backed to a fecking ridiculous level.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Ole
Jose
LVG
Moyes

As mediocre as Ole was, he at least was a positive person, with his players and his football (in parts), compared to the previous guy.
Mourinho was toxic, miserable and his football was shite and cowardly.
LVG was HORRIBLE, couldn't watch United at some point, worst football we ever played.
Moyes I've erased from my memory. Doesn't exist

LawmanMan

Are you off your fecking head? He signed Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Rojo & Valdes in one transfer window & then Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Memphis, Darmian, Martial and Romero the following year.

He was backed to a fecking ridiculous level.
I will always be of the opinion that if Moyes had been given LVG backing we would be miles clear of where we are now. Probably mounting title challenges and making deep European runs. Deep runs in the CL, not the Europa!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Funny how we mocked City and Liverpool for years during their respective trophy and PL droughts yet most claim that trophies don't matter. Makes sense.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yeah, LvG the only one who coached them something. It lacked the cutting edge as the front players were not good enough. Put Ronaldo, Sancho and Rashford into his system and it should be fun.

Ixion

Funny how we mocked City and Liverpool for years during their respective trophy and PL droughts yet most claim that trophies don't matter. Makes sense.
Don't you know the only trophy that matters is the top 4 trophy followed by CL group stage exits the next year.

redmanx

In terms of positive impact each of these managers had, Ole has to be top, then Mourinho, VDG and then Moyes. Ole breathed new life into the club and was a breath of fresh air after the toxic Mourinho. DeGea said in an interview that too many players were not performing, or words to that effect, and Ronaldo has hinted that too many of his team mates wanted an easy time of it. Other sources say the players simply didnt want to play for Ole, and I agree with Jamie Carragher that if this was the case those players should be ashamed of themselves; the supporters who pay to see them have the right to expect them to at least try what ever they think of the manager. Who ever takes over from Carrick for the rest of this season has got to come down hard on the primadonnas; Roy Keane would terrify them!

Wilt

The only trophies that matter are the Premier League and Champions League. And maybe to a lesser extent the FA Cup.

The Europa League is tin pot that's given to team that lose out on top 4, or that lose in FA Cup final, or that lose in the League Cup final, or that lose in the group stages of the CL. It should be renamed the Losers League.

The League Cup is another tin pot that's mostly used for blooding youngster and giving squad players a run-out.

The only creditable trophy we've won post-Fergie is the FA Cup under LvG. But that was a season when we finished 5th in the PL and scored only 49 goals in 38 league games. So feck that.

Neither Jose nor LvG deserve any significant credit for their hollow trophy victories. The lasting damage they left behind mitigates most of that anyway.

Ole is the only manager who hasn't left the club with long term scars, and who walks away from a squad that's better than the one he started with. He's been our clear best manager since 2013.
Rubbish!

If Ole had won either ‘tin pot’ Europa League or ‘tin pot’ League Cup, his fanboys would be calling him the next messiah.

Utd have been a laughing stock for most of Ole’s tenure. Given the amount of money spent, it’s been an absolute
disaster.Take a proper look at where we are now …minus goal difference, nearer relegation than top. All this time and money and still no one knows what‘s our best team.

Ole’s tried his best, but it’s been nowhere near good enough.

“clear best manager since 2013“ ….my arse.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If it’s trophies we know the order, but for the enjoyment factor it’s:

Ole
Mourinho
LVG
Moyes

LVG gets ahead solely due to wins over Liverpool, city etc. Ole, at times it was good watching United again

lex talionis

This is a brutal topic for a thread, another chance to flog Ole. They all failed, more or less equally it seems to me.

John Blund

I will always be of the opinion that if Moyes had been given LVG backing we would be miles clear of where we are now. Probably mounting title challenges and making deep European runs. Deep runs in the CL, not the Europa!
Well, if Moyes wouldn't have told his title-winning squad that they should play more like Everton, and even brought in Fellaini to ensure we'd play more like his Everton, he would have been given more time. He took over a title-winning squad - we expected him to mount title challenges from day one, not 3 years down the line.

Irwin99

Ole is the only manager who hasn't left the club with long term scars, and who walks away from a squad that's better than the one he started with. He's been our clear best manager since 2013.
I think a bit of time passing is necessary before we can really judge his reign in it's entirety but the long term scars comment i'm not sure about: the fan base is a lot more divided I feel than in LVG and Jose's reigns and there have been bizarre moments from both people who were staunch supporters of Ole no matter what he did and those who really didn't like him and verbally abused him, a club legend. I think as a club (fan base and all) we're all over the place at the moment and Ole kind of personified that. Our identity is a mess between trying to recapture Fergie's genius with the 'United DNA/United way' and a wish for a more forward thinking set-up not involving an ex player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If you’re going objectively by trophies it has to be Jose, LvG, Ole, Moyes, but I do think Ole left us with the best squad and if we get a top manager in to win stuff with it he will probably be held in higher regard then. You could also argue that aside from this season it was probably the least toxic reign of any of the managers and most positive, which counts for something.
What he said (even though I have doubts about the quality of the squad he left behind).

Plus, as inept as Ole was, the crazy amount of comeback wins was infinitely more fun than anything served up by the other clowns.

LawmanMan

Well, if Moyes wouldn't have told his title-winning squad that they should play more like Everton, and even brought in Fellaini to ensure we'd play more like his Everton, he would have been given more time. He took over a title-winning squad - we expected him to mount title challenges from day one, not 3 years down the line.
That’s part of the problem. Sir Alex should have been a bit more proactive in lowering expectations during the transition. I think he was trying to be hands off, but it backfired as he was both a massive presence, but also not very supportive in a public way.

Waynne

Mourinho
LvG
Moyes
Ole

Ole is by far the worst one if you put into consideration the amount of money spent and what we achieved during this period.

Spent the most, was backed the most, got the most time, and achieved the least. Easily the worst of them all when you think about that.

Moyes barely spent any money and didn't get any time for example.
Agree 100%

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Moyes ahead of Ole :lol:

Moaning about time, fecking hell no manager gets time for taking champions to 7th place.

Greck

Jose for me and I hated him. Ole's case over Jose is almost entirely subjective and sentiment based. Ole has us on an extended trophyless spell the likes we made fun of Arsenal for. We have to become hypocrites to turn around and say trophies don't matter. Heck look up some of the old posts, many of these same people relentlessly dismissed pochettino as not being better because he "hadn't won a thing".

MichaelRed

Because both won nothing but Ole lasted 3 years. It's like if I say to you would you rather spend 8 months in prison or 3 years? Of course 3 years is worse.

JB7

Because both won nothing but Ole lasted 3 years. It's like if I say to you would you rather spend 8 months in prison or 3 years? Of course 3 years is worse.
One took a team from 1st to 7th, the other took a team from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. They are not even comparable but some people have disdain so fixated in their heads that they are even looking back on Moyes fondly which is completely insane.

LawmanMan

One took a team from 1st to 7th, the other took a team from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. They are not even comparable but some people have disdain so fixated in their heads that they are even looking back on Moyes fondly which is completely insane.
One spent nearly half a billion on players!

stw2022

There are mitigations to Moyes' tenure. He only got 7 months at his first and only bite of the cherry and he got to the CL quarter finals. When he departed we were 7th. Ole has spent half a billion pounds, has no argument against the charge this is his team he takes credit or blame for, and if he was to have continued on until April who really thinks we'd stand even a fighting chance or doing much better?

It's all speculation and we'll never know but 7 months and finishing second having signed just Fellaini is probably the lesser of two evils of the alternative of spending £485m and playing so ineptly that 7th may have started to look optimistic if it continued on much longer how it was. At least a credible case can be made to that affect.

I understand both arguments but I don't think putting Ole below Moyes is as absurd as some might think or want it to be.

1. Mourinho (also the happiest I've ever been when we've sacked a manager, because he's disgusting. But facts are facts)
2. Van Gaal
3. Solskjaer
4. Moyes (also not having the revisionism about his tenure because he's doing well with West Ham now - that was his level as a manager when we got him, and it's his level now)

PogBruno

Not considering any other factors and based on how I enjoyed watching us play

Ole
Lvg
Mourinho
Moyes

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Moyes should be at the top, he spent just 7 months and less than 100 million, so he did the least damage.

stw2022

Has to be Mourinho. Liked van Gaal more and enjoyed his time here more. But Jose won more. He didn't win the second place trophy however, because as we know that was sponsored by the Bank of Only Counts as an Achievement if Ole Does It that particular year, unfortunately for him

Micky Targaryen

Jose - Trophies
Moyes - Spent the least and dull as shit football
LVG - Philosophy
Ole - Spent the most and brings smiles and vibes

It really depends on what you personally prefer for your football club, so I would place Jose on top because trophies.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think it's strange to see how much vitriol Ole is getting here. You've been more exciting to watch under Ole than anyone else since Fergie retired. Moyes was awful and so far out of his depth it was laughable, LvG served up the most tumescent football I have ever seen by a mile. Jose may have won a couple of trophies but he almost destroyed your club as he has most club he's been to and his football was pretty rotten to watch as well.

Ole had to go, as once that decline sets in there's no recovery, but to rate him below the others is just laughable.

SecondFig

Depends if you judge each manager on their highlights or on their entire time as manager. Jose gave us a league cup (meh) and a Europa (genuinely really good), but the decline after that was appalling. Far worse than Ole's - I felt completely disconnected from the club by the time he was finally sacked. LvG gave us an FA cup and was a great managerial personality, but he gutted the squad and had us playing the most boring football I've ever seen United attempt. Moyes arguably could have been given longer (compared to the other 3), but he looked so utterly out of his depth from day 1 it's hard to argue the point. And then Ole - gave us back to back CL finishes, numerous semi-finals and a final, was a penalty shootout from a Europa Cup and hugely improved the squad. Plus, for about 12 months had me properly back in love with United - closest I've felt since Fergie retired. Ultimately, it ended as a shitshow and with no trophies, but going into this season I genuinely thought we had an outside shot at the title, and were shoo-ins for a CL place. In the end it was clear he should have gone much earlier.

So personally, in terms of managers I actually enjoyed and how gave me hope;
  1. Ole
  2. Jose
  3. LvG
  4. Moyes
And Ole is the only one I'll really look back on fondly. Mou can feck right off, toxic cnut; Moyes - no hard feelings, we just weren't remotely right for each other; Louis - maybe 20 years earlier.

el3mel

The only trophies that matter are the Premier League and Champions League. And maybe to a lesser extent the FA Cup.

The Europa League is tin pot that's given to team that lose out on top 4, or that lose in FA Cup final, or that lose in the League Cup final, or that lose in the group stages of the CL. It should be renamed the Losers League.

The League Cup is another tin pot that's mostly used for blooding youngster and giving squad players a run-out.

The only creditable trophy we've won post-Fergie is the FA Cup under LvG. But that was a season when we finished 5th in the PL and scored only 49 goals in 38 league games. So feck that.

Neither Jose nor LvG deserve any significant credit for their hollow trophy victories. The lasting damage they left behind mitigates most of that anyway.

Ole didn't even win these tin pot trophies the others won while not challenging for the trophies that matter for you (league and CL) yet he's supposedly better than the other managers post Fergie.

This post is hilarious.