Hamadovich86

Best to worst

16/17 - Finished 6th but we won the EL,
17/18 - Finished 2nd, still very far off from the league title
14/15 - Finished 4th, far off from the league title
15/16 - Finished 5th, won the FA Cup, missed out on the UCL
18/19 - Finished 6th, terrible start and terrible finish
13/14 - Finished 7th as the reigning champions

Moyes season still the very worst considering we were the defending champions and we have fallen off so fecking far.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
13/14 - Just a terrible season - will always be the worst, as despite the massive revisionism seen, it followed a league winning year, and saw us come 7th. I don't think anyone who has watched football could have done worse. Sinking feeling every game, just pure shock at what was happening.

14/15 - A recovery under Van Gaal - stumbling onto a purple patch lineup to smash some rivals over 4-5 games the highlight, and getting back into the champions league. Football not great, but ok.

15/16 - Van Gaal football totally bereft of any excitement - somehow managed to win a cup.

16/17 - Best transfer window in a decade - but an incredible lack of wins at home saw us 6th! Two cups and a return to the champs league rescued the season into "success".

17/18 - A strange season - much much more efficient at drilling teams, and 2nd in the league, but not anywhere near 1st, and it didn't feel a "proper" 2nd. Unlucky to lose a terrible FA Cup final that would have made it a good season on paper.

18/19 - Board screwed up in the summer not backing or sacking the manager. We all knew it'd be a tough season, Jose's 3rd year as well, but no one saw it being that bad.
Solskjaer start brought huge hope, but then ended as bad as, if not worse than Jose spell ended.

My 6 years of having a season ticket! Genius timing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Interesting the best ranked season from OP is one where Man. United finished 6th in the league. Didn't even make the lows part.
That was very much the elephant in the room. Improvement in style, hype of the signings, excellent in the cups, and some outrageously bad luck in some of those many draws all account I suppose.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was very much the elephant in the room. Improvement in style, hype of the signings, excellent in the cups, and some outrageously bad luck in some of those many draws all account I suppose.
If you'd won the FA cup final 17/18 would've been far better than 16/17. Good league finish (albeit with warning signs from last 6-7 games) and winning a more prestigious trophy.

sugar_kane

Interesting the best ranked season from OP is one where Man. United finished 6th in the league. Didn't even make the lows part.
If you read the thread the majority of replies also choose 16/17

The only reason 4th should ever be considered a 'success' is due to CL qualification, given that we achieved that via the Europa win our league position was fairly irrelevant.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
From best to worst:

1. Mourinho's second season - Looked like challenging for the title early on, but City were too good. Beat all of the top six, best finish since SAF. A good FA Cup run, albeit with a disappointing end, the Sevilla exit the sole real disappointment.
2. Mourinho's first season - Flashes of potential in the league. Numerous frustrating home draws and hence a poor finish but won the Europa League and the League Cup.
3. LVG's first season - A good league campaign, at times seemed Utd were a couple of signings away from challenging
4. LVG's second season - An absolute trainwreck. Says a lot about the state of the club that there are two worse recent seasons
5. Moyes's season - The less said the better. What puts it above this season for me is that initial struggles following SAF's departure were to be expected
6. This season - Perhaps the most depressing thing is that so much time has passed since SAF with no real progress. Another sad thing is that it came right after the best league finish post-SAF. With the benefit of hindsight, I fully blame Woodward; Mourinho should have been backed and was right about everything.

Kopral Jono

2016/17 was by far the best with Zlatan and obviously winning two trophies. And contrary to common belief, we were okay in the league performance-wise; there were just too many games where we didn't convert our chances in front of goal.

This season is worse than 2013/14. Towards the end of that season after Moyes got sacked, I remember feeling relatively positive about our future. I can't say the same now especially after seeing City win the domestic treble, Liverpool the European Cup and Spurs going places.

RedDevilRoshi

13/14 - Just erase from your memory. Horrible season!

14/15 - I remember LVG’s Holland at the World Cup in Brazil that year and he got them a 3rd place finish which includes a thrashing of the holder Spain in the opening game. Got a little excited plus we didn’t lose a single game in pre-season and I thought we might have a good campaign until our opening 2 results of the season - 2-1 loss at home to Swansea and a 1-1 draw away to Sunderland. Just about sneaked into the top 4. Signed Di Maria for a then club record fee and got Falcao on loan. Both fantastic signings on paper but flopped big time!

15/16 - Won the FA Cup but the football we played under LVG that season was enough to make you fall asleep. So damn slow and boring! I remember we beat Arsenal with virtually a reserve team.

16/17 - What a summer transfer window we had - Bailly, Ibra, Pogba, Mkhitaryan - who was the Bundesliga player of the year. Genuinely thought we had a squad good enough to challenge for the league but our poor home form saw us draw so many games against lower ranked opposition and therefore finishing 6th. Won the Carling Cup & the EL.

17/18 - We were battering teams 4-0 at the start of the season but the turning point was when we parked the bus at Anfield against a Liverpool team that had started the season poorly and were definitely there for the taking. The week after we put in an embarrassing performance away to Huddersfield and our wheels just came right off. Finished 2nd, although miles behind the league champions - Man City who were simply unstoppable. Highlight for me that season was stopping City win the league against us when we were 2-0 down at HT. Signing Sanchez in January really got me excited but safe to say, unfortunately it has definitely not worked out well for us. Embarrassing performance at home to Sevilla that saw us knocked out of the CL was the moment, I lost faith in Jose.

18/19 - What an embarrassing summer we had! That resulted in us starting the season so poorly and we were already playing catch-up to the teams above us before Halloween. Mourinho was rightly so emptied and in came Ole and we had a very good two months which resulted in us doing the unthinkable and winning in Paris to knock PSG out of the CL when virtually no one gave us a chance after being out-classed in the 1st leg by the Parisians. The game after was an unfortunate 2-0 deafest to Arsenal at the Emirates and it just went downhill from there.

So in order of rank, I will go for:

1st - 16/17
2nd - 14/15
3rd - 15/16
4th - 17/18
5th - 18/19
6th - 13/14

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Based on how I felt at the time

1st - 16/17 - good summer signings, world class manager at the helm, Zlatan was fun, Pogba was the best CM we'd brought to the club in 10 years, 2 trophies we looked like we were back on the up

2nd - 15/16 - I'd probably go with this season based on the FA Cup final win, the then signing of Martial and the emergence of Rashford

3rd - 17/18 - Not a lot between this one and the 14/15 season. Brief title challenge for the first time since SAF left and we all had the feeling that we'd build on that in the following summer (we didn't)

4th - 14/15 - looking back much of the hope at the end of this season was based on the 4 game run when we beat Spurs, Liverpool, Villa and City back to back to back to back. Again expectation that we'd build on that the following summer (ended up being arguably the worst summer post SAF)

5th - 13/14 - Yes it was bad but it was only 1 year removed from winning the league, surely it was a one off

6th - 18/19 - Yes I'd place this past season the worst of the lot based on the fact that for the first time in the 6 years since SAF left we really are now at the lowest of the low. Unproven manager, unable to attract top level players and a long way behind our two biggest domestic rivals

TRUERED89

(#1 best, #6 worst)
13/14 (#6) Moyes
14/15 (#1) LVG
15/16 (#4) LVG
16/17 (#3) Jose
17/18 (#2) Jose
18/19 (#5)Jose/Ole