Rank the PL coaches

tjb

Yes that's a good point. Next best thing is really to see how they adapt during the game especially if their gameplan isn't working. Do they just do like for like subs or do subtle tweaks here and there that can wrestle back control from opposition?

I've said before I think OGS is underrated a fair bit here and has done a quietly impressive job on the whole in pushing Man. United back on right track in long term even if he won't win the big prizes.

Guess there's two ways of looking at the flat first half thing but ultimately it's a 90 minute game and he generally has no issue raising the tempo in second half and making good subs at the right time, never did Fergie any harm in the long run did it?

Arteta is miles off that currently. He desperately needs to find some sort of Fernandes type inspirational signing to get Arsenal going again in the summer otherwise he won't be making the 10th game next season.
When you look at what Ole's managed to do in the last two and a half seasons here its outstanding. Some people really underestimated how bad we were at the start of the 2019 season.
2019/2020 season:

Pogba was on his way out
Pereira and Lingard were rotating as our no.10s
Daniel James was our first choice right winger
Rashford and Martial kept having to rotate positions because neither could do the job of a striker and constantly made bad decisions.

We weren't creating any chances, our build up was really poor. On paper right now, Fred and Mctominay our

432JuanMata

When you look at what Ole's managed to do in the last two and a half seasons here its outstanding. Some people really underestimated how bad we were at the start of the 2019 season.
2019/2020 season:

Pogba was on his way out
Pereira and Lingard were rotating as our no.10s
Daniel James was our first choice right winger
Rashford and Martial kept having to rotate positions because neither could do the job of a striker and constantly made bad decisions.

We weren't creating any chances, our build up was really poor. On paper right now, Fred and Mctominay our
When you bring up Lingard and Pereira at no10, Ole went into a season with them as our no10 but what I like about him is he gave them the chance to prove there worth and they couldn’t so he replaced them. He has giving all the players and chance and seems to recognise were we lack and has slowly improved the squad

tjb

When you bring up Lingard and Pereira at no10, Ole went into a season with them as our no10 but what I like about him is he gave them the chance to prove there worth and they couldn’t so he replaced them. He has giving all the players and chance and seems to recognise were we lack and has slowly improved the squad
That's the ingredient we lacked in every manager since SAF left and one of the things that made United what we are. The ability to foster good relationships with the players, even though it may mean playing some more often that you would otherwise play them or keeping them on longer. We really didnt need to have players like Silvestre, Brown and O'shea stay as long as they did. Some managers would have binned Park and not seen his usefulness. The amount of years( 4 seasons) we kept Ole on whilst injured. That's what brings the loyalty, the determination, the need to fight for the team. It's one of the reasons Pogba is going to stay.

Cast5

When Arteta won the F.A cup he was only just there and Ole had been under pressure earlier in the season and had doubt from our fans whether he could improve us. So with hindsight yeah it looks like people criticising Ole and praising Arteta looks dumb but at the time I can understand why.

The problem now is Ole has taking us up a notch since last season not enough to challenge for the league but too see a significant improvement while Arteta has taking Arsenal backwards.

I remember posting that it was too soon to judge Arteta on the FA cup but did think on the back of my head that he would be doing better things than Ole, I was so wrong on that.

I still have my doubts if Ole, even with money can challengefor the PL/CL but I have been proving wrong by him this season and have been happily surprised at the process he and the team have made. I’ll admit I was Ole out at one stage close to the start of the season.Unlike people on the caf that don’t post when we win because they wanted Ole gone I’ll happily say I’ve been proving wrong
I genuinely believe that people don’t watch other teams, Arsenal literally just parked the bus in that FA Cup and people were talking about Arteta’s patterns of play and how boring Ole’s team are to watch, it was like being on another planet.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Pep

Tuchel, Klopp*

Ancelotti, Bielsa

Ole*, Rodgers

Gardiner, Moyes, Santo

Klopp could go lower next season, Ole higher.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So now we have the final league table which managers actually come out with any credit this season?

Punching above their squad's pre season weight I'd say:
- Bielsa
- Moyes
- Solskjaer
- Smith
- Potter
- Rodgers

Negatives:
- Klopp
- Ancelotti
- Mourinho
- Arteta
- Nuno
- Wilder

The effect of most managers is overrated. It's all fairly predictable depending on how good the squads are in the end.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
So now we have the final league table which managers actually come out with any credit this season?

The effect of most managers is overrated. It's all fairly predictable depending on how good the squads are in the end.
Average managers cannot push teams beyond their limits. Good Managers are able to do so. It's as simple as that.

That said, Bielsa really managed to raise the level of his Leeds player. From Championship bottom half to PL top half team.

PSV

This season has shown that Klopp is still incredibly one-dimensional. His squad management is atrocious. Not even close to the top tier of managers.

All three of his title wins has been heavily reliant on being able to field the same defenders for almost every game of the season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This season has shown that Klopp is still incredibly one-dimensional. His squad management is atrocious. Not even close to the top tier of managers.

All three of his title wins has been heavily reliant on being able to field the same defenders for almost every game of the season.
What a load of old twaddle.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Huh

Paul_Scholes18

Pep in a class above all others. If they win CL it is an amazing season and a great one even if they fail.

Klopp, Arteta, Anchelotti, Mourinho failed. Big Sam big failure too. Noone rated Parker and Fulham so it was more expected. Wilder failed.

Moyes, Rodgers have done a great job, but also failed to reach top 4.

Bielsa and Smith done a very good job too.

Ole and Tuchel done alright, but if they fail to win the finals it is not really great seasons given how good squad we and Chelsea got.

MU655

Dyche very rarely gets recognition for his time at Burnley.

They spent by far the least of any club this summer (£990k) and still managed to avoid relegation.

Despite being in the Pl for less time, every team around Burnley (not sure about Sheffield) has outspent them, and most of them by quite a lot.

That is ridiculous really as you would expect a team that has been in the Pl 5 seasons running to have a much bigger spend. But even Leeds (who have been in the PL one season), West Brom, and Fulham have spent more than them during those five seasons.

I think top four this season are: Moyes, Rodgers, Bielsa, and Dyche.

They overachieved with their teams, considering resources etc.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Can't forget the disrespect earlier in this thread putting Arteta above Ole.

Frank Sinatra Fan

I would like to say that Guardiola back at Barcelona and also at Bayern sometimes (but mainly at Barcelona) was often criticized for his squad management, for almost always starting his main players and not resting them properly, which meant that his team often had a decline and instability in the second half of the season. The criticisms were specially common in the 2010/2011 season. The pinnacle of that team's football, but Barcelona really had a sharp decline on their performance level from February onwards, despite still winning almost all matches. Injuries left and right, Busquets improvised in the defense and so on. Team driven to the limit of mental and physical exhaustion, specially at the time of the 4 clásicos against Real Madrid. Barcelona's game against United in the UCL final was easily Barcelona's best performance since January, they hadn't been playing at their best level, that UCL final was Barcelona back to form. October, November, December and January, those were the months of champagne football for Barcelona that season.

Reactions: Sultan