Rank the PL coaches

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Bielsa has come up with an inferior group of players and stuck it to every side Leeds have played giving them a proper game of attacking footbal whilst not looking out of place or even like a lesser calibre of player. It highlights what a good coach can do with even middling base material. Bielsa's sides tend to fade over a campaign, but I'm not sure that's the same categorisation as coaching? I guess more managerial oversight?

But the crux of what Bielsa has done is highlight that top coaches really can make a difference; nobody is looking forward to playing his side, one that has just come up from the Championship, no less.

We're not in the era of the manager anymore, so what's seen on the pitch is about the bare bones of how these guys should be rated. So, in your opinion, ranking from 1 through at least 10, where would you place what we currently have in the PL?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is a stealthy

20. Solskjaer

thread if ever I saw one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But the crux of what Bielsa has done is highlight that top coaches really can make a difference; nobody is looking forward to playing his side, one that has just come up from the Championship, no less.
It's surprising that people argue against this to come up with "structure is not good enough". Coach makes the biggest difference.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is a stealthy

20. Solskjaer

thread if ever I saw one.
Nah, Bielsa is the thrust, if I'm honest.

He's doing what isn't supposed to be possible against the current backdrop and reinforcing his standing in the game, if that were needed.

I'm sure last season Potter may have ranked highly, not so sure about now. Etc. Etc.

The Ole business has never been a talking point for me. In fact, of all our post-Fergie managers, he's the one I've said least about, but still more positive comments than negative.

Ludens the Red

I’ve left out Parker, Lampard and Arteta because they’re simply far too new to management to be able to compare and contrast with the others.
Pretty much all things considered, style of play, signings, ability to motivate, results, game management, etc.

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I’ve left out Parker, Lampard and Arteta because they’re simply far too new to management to be able to compare and contrast with the others.
Pretty much all things considered, style of play, signings, ability to motivate, results, game management, etc.

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith
I would say this is very accurate, would possibly put ancelotti above Mourinho though

Fosu-Mens

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith
Can make 11 players play as a collective unit:
Klopp, Pep, Ancellotti, Bielsa, Rodgers, Santo, Potter.
Arguably Arteta based on what Arsenal has shown.

Can make 11 players defend as a team:
Mourinho, Dyche, Wilder, Bruce and Moyes.

Attempts something:
Hassenhuttl.

"Keep the lads happy, let them try something". AKA I don't know what the fnuuuk i'm doing so I will just stay positive and hope things go the right way.
Bilic, OGS Lampard.

american_red

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith
I would put Potter higher, but I'm not sure who to drop. Wilder? Hassenhutl?

Untied

Attempts something:
Hassenhuttl.

"Keep the lads happy, let them try something". AKA I don't know what the fnuuuk i'm doing so I will just stay positive and hope things go the right way.
Bilic, OGS Lampard.
So two of last seasons top four had the worst two managers in the division. Makes sense.

Ludens the Red

Attempts something:
Hassenhuttl.

Bilic, OGS Lampard.
:lol: Accurate but it’s fun. Like watching Southampton, they’re insane. 424, central midfielders on the wing, Outrageously high defensive line and press, overly ambitious passing. He’s the kind of manager who if he came to United he’d have Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani on the pitch at the same time on a regular basis.

Fosu-Mens

So two of last seasons top four had the worst two managers in the division. Makes sense.
If one wanted to rank the coaches, then one would need to rank them based on certain criteria and how this would fit with the aims and goals of a certain club.....

Is the long term goal to compete for the league/CL title, then a manager that has shown he can coach a team to attack and defend(like collective high press or defensive structure) as a team with elements that are similar to what is called progressive football, then Klopp/Pep is the managers for you. Potter/Rodgers and Arteta are also alternatives.

Where do you rank OGS and Lampard?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith
Just curious why you put Potter and Wilder so low. Wilder did great for multiple seasons in a row with Sheffield, and Potter has done great wherever he's been. The current season is too young to say how they're doing - although Brighton despite its losses is widely praised for its football. So I'd think they are both showing more than Hodgson and I'd have them on a par with Hasenhüttl. (No idea where I'd put Dyche.)

Ludens the Red

Just curious why you put Potter and Wilder so low. Wilder did great for multiple seasons in a row with Sheffield, and Potter has done great wherever he's been. The current season is too young to say how they're doing - although Brighton despite its losses is widely praised for its football. So I'd think they are both showing more than Hodgson and I'd have them on a par with Hasenhüttl. (No idea where I'd put Dyche.)
I guess I’d wait and see how Potter do over the course of the next year. Wilder has done well in lower leagues and needs to show he can sustain Sheffield United in this league. Same with Potter, great style but if they’re relegated what’s the point?
Roy Hodgson gets overlooked(mainly due to his Liverpool and England reign) but if you look at his history in management all over the world in different eras it’s clear he’s a solid manager.
The thing Dyche is, if you look at Burnley on paper, the amount they invest and their style of play, by rights they should be relegated every season without fail.
The fact he’s managed to avoid that and then somehow get them into Europe is completely ridiculous.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Probably fair to be undecided on Wilder with him only having a year in the PL. He did win the LMA manager of the year in 2019 though and has a system that has been studied closely by other top coaches.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I guess I’d wait and see how Potter do over the course of the next year. Wilder has done well in lower leagues and needs to show he can sustain Sheffield United in this league. Same with Potter, great style but if they’re relegated what’s the point?
Roy Hodgson gets overlooked(mainly due to his Liverpool and England reign) but if you look at his history in management all over the world in different eras it’s clear he’s a solid manager.
The thing Dyche is, if you look at Burnley on paper, the amount they invest and their style of play, by rights they should be relegated every season without fail.
The fact he’s managed to avoid that and then somehow get them into Europe is completely ridiculous.
All fair.

On Hodgson: he's always difficult to asses. Managing in Finland, Sweden, Norway , Denmark, and Switzerland (and wherever else he has been!) is probably similar to managing at the Championship and League 1 levels in England, depending on the country. So that's similar to Wilder's background in the lower leagues and Potter's work in Sweden. But of course Hodgson has been doing it for a much longer time and had some big successes along the way (I see his Wiki even contains a paragraph on his transformative influence on football in Sweden, alongside Bob Houghton). Also some failures, but then that's normal in a longer career. Hard to compare up & coming coaches with someone who's been around forever.

marktan

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith

1. Klopp
2. Pep

3. Mourinho
4. Biesla
5. Ancelloti
6. Rodgers

7. Hasenhutl (style of play)
8. Potter (style of play)
9. Nuno (helped by having Portugal's XI)
10. Wilder (lowered due to signings this seasons - smells of a repeat of Eddie Howe)

These lot you could probably substitute for the other and see no difference to the level of football
11. Smith (mostly due to great signings - not sure if it's him or the scouting team. Also decent tactics).
12. Hodgson - flip flop
13. Ole (not much pre-United but has had 2 spells of good football at United and signings have improved us)
14. Bruce - tumescent football but has signed well throughout his career
15. Dyche - even more tumescent football but has managed to get Burnley playing above their level on no budget for like 5 years

16. Moyes - Downhill ever since Everton
* Bilic - no idea really didn't watch much of West Ham before or WBA now

MattofManchester

Dyche - even more tumescent football but has managed to get Burnley playing above their level on no budget for like 5 years
Is him being so low based on his style(which shouldn't have bearing) or the results?
I'd argue Burnley punch far above their weight because of him.

James Peril

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Mourinho
4. Ancelotti
5. Bielsa
6. Rodgers
7. Santo
8. Hasenhutl
9. Hodgson
10. Dyche
11. Wilder
12. Potter
13. Ole
14. Bruce
15. Bilic
16. Moyes
17. Smith
The state of this. You have Dean Smith dead last and behind OGS after he beat Liverpool 7-2 and orchestrated a massive survival last season? They basically started last season with 10 squad members and had to buy a whole new team, this year the buys have more meat and they have won three on the trot. OGS is without a doubt the least competent manager in the league, outside of United he would never be hired and would look lost within two weeks. Not saying Smith would do way better than Solskjær at United given the many important factors to lead a big club, but no way in hell would Solskjær better Smith at Villa, or Moyes at West Ham or Bruce at Newcastle for that matter. For those clubs to survive, they would need a system - our guy doesn’t have it.

marktan

Is him being so low based on his style(which shouldn't have bearing) or the results?
I'd argue Burnley punch far above their weight because of him.
That's true, they do, and he deserves credit for drilling them so well. But their modus operandi has been getting it to the front 2 to nab a goal, and grinding wins against the weaker sides whilst turning over for the bigger teams. With the loss of players like Hendrick, and the influx of money coming in to the other weaker teams who're all improving, I think Burnley will struggle if not this season but in the coming ones.

I think it's more a dislike of the style of football more than anything, Dyche is a good manager and probably deserves a higher spot than I've given him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have no idea what to say about Parker tbh.

Others:
Tier A. World class. Top managers who make teams better than they are. Excellent in every area of manager's job.
Mourinho
Klopp
Pep
Ancelotti
Bielsa

Tier B. Very good managers who are talented enough but not top class managers.
Rodgers
Santo
Hasenhutl

Tier C. Solid, average managers who are good for specific job in middle table club. Not so much tactically strong but they know basic stuff. And little more than that.
Hodgson
Dyche
Wilder
Potter
Bruce
Bilic
Smith
Moyes

Promising managers. They have something but still early to say where they will belong.
Arteta and Lampard.

Tier D. Out of depth on higher level of football. Managers for clubs in minor leagues.
You know the name :)

Lelouch geass

What a anti Ole biased Thread this is
7-2 Aston Villa Vs Liverpool and 5 -2 to Pep for best teams in Europe. I am not fan of Ole Tactical factors and team selection but he is also not that bad in man management.

Fosu-Mens

Potter is so underrated. Since he took over, Brighton has played structured defensive football in some games and possession-oriented attacking football in others. And they play as a team. Not 11 individuals. created enough chances to deserve a win against both Chelsea and us.

Ludens the Red

The state of this. You have Dean Smith dead last and behind OGS after he beat Liverpool 7-2 and orchestrated a massive survival last season? They basically started last season with 10 squad members and had to buy a whole new team, this year the buys have more meat and they have won three on the trot. OGS is without a doubt the least competent manager in the league, outside of United he would never be hired and would look lost within two weeks. Not saying Smith would do way better than Solskjær at United given the many important factors to lead a big club, but no way in hell would Solskjær better Smith at Villa, or Moyes at West Ham or Bruce at Newcastle for that matter. For those clubs to survive, they would need a system - our guy doesn’t have it.
It’s not necessarily a criticism of him but he’s the only one on that list who imo hasn’t actually done anything stand out as a manager.
I mean you’re suggesting he should be higher based on a one off freak match that took place yesterday and for spending 150 million and barely surviving. To me coming 17th in the Prem is not an achievement at all.

Grealish bailed them out last season, they had no discernible style of play. He’s been Brentford’s weakest manager down the years for a club that generally punches well above its weight.
If Villa carry on in this vein fine but at the moment he’s done pretty much nothing as manager. For all the Ole bashing he still won a few titles in Norway and came 3rd last season which was more credible than Smith coming 17th with Villa.

All fair.

On Hodgson: he's always difficult to asses. Managing in Finland, Sweden, Norway , Denmark, and Switzerland (and wherever else he has been!) is probably similar to managing at the Championship and League 1 levels in England, depending on the country. So that's similar to Wilder's background in the lower leagues and Potter's work in Sweden. But of course Hodgson has been doing it for a much longer time and had some big successes along the way (I see his Wiki even contains a paragraph on his transformative influence on football in Sweden, alongside Bob Houghton). Also some failures, but then that's normal in a longer career. Hard to compare up & coming coaches with someone who's been around forever.
To manage over six decades is pretty incredible. His teams have never come across as boring or outdated either.

Paul_Scholes18

Potter is so underrated. Since he took over, Brighton has played structured defensive football in some games and possession-oriented attacking football in others. And they play as a team. Not 11 individuals. created enough chances to deserve a win against both Chelsea and us.
I think he is good, but he has not taken them to the next level yet. Not the way he did with Östersund in Sweden.

RashyForPM

I’m going to rank them based on their performance from the beginning of last season, 2019-20, as I only want to judge their current standards and it’s fair to the managers who only recently made it to the big time, like Smith. Reputation and previous achievements do not come into it.

1) Bielsa - Lucky to be first, but would be unlucky to be second. Great Championship season. Goes toe to toe with everybody, and always comes out deserving something like Leeds did against Pool and City. Just edges Klopp for me.

2) Klopp - Great job too. Won the league. Unlucky to be second.

3) Rodgers - Great job to actually come 5th despite the late season collapse, and has 9 points from 12 this season. Has got the best out of their best player Vardy too.

4) Ancelotti - Swayed by his start to this season. Absolutely fantastic.

5) Wilder - Limited resources in comparison to others. Did wonderfully to finished 9th with that SU team.

6) Mourinho - Done a good job since taking over. Would I take him back? Obviously yes over Ole, but not for someone like Pochettino. That said, he’ll get top 4 and maybe even mount a shock title race this season, considering 3 of his rivals have lost 7-2, 1-6 and 2-5.

7) Dyche - Very limited resources. Steady.

8) Pep - Would be top if I began from 2017, but as aforementioned, it’d be unfair to the others. He’s been poor since 2019-20 began and just lost 2-5. He has far more resources than anyone else too.

9) Nuno - Slightly overachieved, but he’s lucky to have Mendes.

10) Hasenhuttl - Decent. Southampton are where you’d expect them to be and he plays decent football.

11) Smith - Kept them up under harsh circumstances and beat the Champions 7-2 in possibly the most extraordinary result in PL history.

12) Arteta - Revived Arsenal and won a few cups, granted one doesn’t matter. He doesn’t exactly play good football but Arsenal are progressing, unlike us and even Chelsea.

13) Hodgson - Steady. Midtable, just like his club.

14) Bruce - See Hodgson.

15) Moyes - See Hodgson and Bruce. Honestly, you could easily mix these 3 around. Your generic British managers who will generally achieve the objective.

16) Potter - Overrated.

17) Bilic - Took WBA out of the dogfight that is the Championship, but hasn’t started well.

18) Lampard - Has never impressed me. Took Chelsea from 3rd and EL to 4th and nothing, granted without Hazard. He’s lucky they had a transfer ban last season or he’d be lower than Ole. Seems a mouthy so and so too. Who is he in the managerial world to challenge Klopp and Mourinho? He has no visible tactic.

19) Ole - A bad manager, like Lampard. No visible plan, like Lampard. Reliant on individual quality, like Lampard. Only in the job because of his playing career, like Lampard. Finished one point above Lampard but could make transfers, unlike Lampard. And he’s started this season much worse, so I’ve got to put him lower.

20) Parker - Completely hapless. Should have lost to Brentford. They’d add more to the league.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s not necessarily a criticism of him but he’s the only one on that list who imo hasn’t actually done anything stand out as a manager.
I mean you’re suggesting he should be higher based on a one off freak match that took place yesterday and for spending 150 million and barely surviving. To me coming 17th in the Prem is not an achievement at all.

Grealish bailed them out last season, they had no discernible style of play. He’s been Brentford’s weakest manager down the years for a club that generally punches well above its weight.
If Villa carry on in this vein fine but at the moment he’s done pretty much nothing as manager. For all the Ole bashing he still won a few titles in Norway and came 3rd last season which was more credible than Smith coming 17th with Villa.

To manage over six decades is pretty incredible. His teams have never come across as boring or outdated either.
Took over Villa 15th in the Championship.

Broke the club record for most wins in a row en route to getting the club promoted where a certain Steve Bruce failed, playing the best football in most people's living memory along the way.

Signed a whole new squad upon promotion due to the all the expired contracts and retirings/loanee returns (another Bruce legacy) and managed to get to a cup final as well as masterminding one of the greatest relegation escapes in recent history, being 7 points off safety with 4 games to go.

Presides over Villa's biggest ever PL win in his second season as well as inflicting the first ever 7 goal concession by a champion in PL history.

All this in almost exactly 2 years. Hardly what I'd call not achieving anything. If by achievements you meant trophies, then hardly anyone on the list even qualifies.

Fosu-Mens

I think he is good, but he has not taken them to the next level yet. Not the way he did with Östersund in Sweden.
He took over a team that had played some really defensive football. The shift towards a more progressive (more possession and dominating the games) style of play seems to be well on its way. They played slightly more defensive after the break last season compared to earlier, but it still worked for them.

They will finish in the top 8 if the first 4 games are anything to go by and the small sample space we have is an indicator.

El Jefe

Broke the club record for most wins in a row en route to getting the club promoted where a certain Steve Bruce failed, playing the best football in most people's living memory along the way.

Signed a whole new squad upon promotion due to the all the expired contracts and retirings/loanee returns (another Bruce legacy) and managed to get to a cup final as well as masterminding one of the greatest relegation escapes in recent history, being 7 points off safety with 4 games to go.

Presides over Villa's biggest ever PL win in his second season as well as inflicting the first ever 7 goal concession by a champion in PL history.

All this in almost exactly 2 years. Hardly what I'd call not achieving anything. If by achievements you meant trophies, then hardly anyone on the list even qualifies.
Reading this does make him sound really impressive. Not to shit on the likes of Ole or Lampard but this is far more meaningful than finishing top 4 with a top 4 level squad. Both managed in the Championship and couldn't gain promotion so it's hard to justify them being better than Smith.

Ludens the Red

To be honest this smacks of a fanboy type post. The Bruce digs (wonder why that is)

You’re Aston Villa not Birmingham. I think promotion from the Championship whilst a good achievement isn’t overly impressive especially at a big club like Villa. Steve Coppell smashed all sorts of Championship records with tin pot Reading and then came 7th in the prem. Nobody cares or rates him.
You were massively underachieving when you were 15th, you’d gotten to the playoff final the year before. You weren’t in obscurity and you still had superior players to most clubs in the league. Correct me if I’m wrong but at the time you were decimated with injuries including Grealish missing most of the season up until Smith came.
Also should be noted that the gap between 15th and the playoffs in the Championship by halfway point in the season is generally never that big due to how tight the league is. Can’t imagine you were any more than 6/7 points off.

I’m sure you know more than me but from an outsider the loans and expired contracts problem being attributed to Bruce is kind of strange. I’m not sure it’s his fault you slapped ridiculous contracts on people like Micah Richards and Ross McCormack and got yourselves in a mess.

Also need I remind you Bruce took multiple less fancied sides up, got to an Fa Cup Final and actually stayed up comfortably in his first years in the prem.
On paper your team last year was better than Sheff Utd and Norwich’ but you’re football was the least impressive.

Reading this does make him sound really impressive. Not to shit on the likes of Ole or Lampard but this is far more meaningful than finishing top 4 with a top 4 level squad. Both managed in the Championship and couldn't gain promotion so it's hard to justify them being better than Smith.
Meh, he’s polishing it nicely but really it’s much a do about nothing. Taking Villa up through the playoffs is not more meaningful than Ole and Lampard finishing in the top four at United and Chelsea. And you should apply some context to Deans reign at Villa to Ole’s at Cardiff and Lampards at Derby.

Last edited:

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
To be honest this smacks of a fanboy type post. The Bruce digs (wonder why that is)

You’re Aston Villa not Birmingham. I think promotion from the Championship whilst a good achievement isn’t overly impressive especially at a big club like Villa. Steve Coppell smashed all sorts of Championship records with tin pot Reading and then came 7th in the prem. Nobody cares or rates him.
You were massively underachieving when you were 15th, you’d gotten to the playoff final the year before. You weren’t in obscurity and you still had superior players to most clubs in the league. Correct me if I’m wrong but at the time you were decimated with injuries including Grealish missing most of the season up until Smith came.
Also should be noted that the gap between 15th and the playoffs in the Championship by halfway point in the season is generally never that big due to how tight the league is. Can’t imagine you were any more than 6/7 points off.

I’m sure you know more than me but from an outsider the loans and expired contracts problem being attributed to Bruce is kind of strange. I’m not sure it’s his fault you slapped ridiculous contracts on people like Micah Richards and Ross McCormack and got yourselves in a mess.

Also need I remind you Bruce took multiple less fancied sides up, got to an Fa Cup Final and actually stayed up comfortably in his first years in the prem.
On paper your team last year was better than Sheff Utd and Norwich’ but you’re football was the least impressive.

Meh, he’s polishing it nicely but really it’s much a do about nothing. Taking Villa up through the playoffs is not more meaningful than Ole and Lampard finishing in the top four at United and Chelsea. And you should apply some context to Deans reign at Villa to Ole’s at Cardiff and Lampards at Derby.
Not taking a dig at Bruce at all, just making a direct comparison to someone you had above him. They literally had the same job with the same squad, and Smith did him one better, so if the criteria is achievements, not sure how Bruce wins out there. His most recent achievement was a cup final with Hull, what was it 2014? Smith was in one in 2020, and didn't get relegated where Bruce did the following season. I guess there's still time for that.

When I say the squad status at the beginning of last season was a Bruce legacy, it's mostly due to the transfer policy at the time which he had direct influence on. We also had a different owner at the time so that needs to be taken into context. Basically we were signing older players who have been there and done that (wrt promotion) and a lot of key loans. By the end of 2019 when we (very luckily for us) finally achieved promotion, next thing you know, half of them are retiring and the loans are going back. So we had to sign like 15 new players, which was a problem not shared by Norwich or Sheffield United who had settled squads for better or for worse. I think we're seeing the benefits of a year of gelling in the PL right now but that's another story.

All this to say, I don't even think Smith is in the top half of managers at this point but when it comes to achievements, which is what I was contesting, Smith has remarkably been racking them up in the 2 years he's been here. He broke a 109 year old club record by winning 10 games in a row. Fairly certain it was a Championship record too. I don't think many managers around him can boast the same, in any league. Pretty sure he broke a couple of others on Sunday as well. I just don't see what the likes of Bilic or Moyes or Bruce etc have over him tbh besides big names based on 15 years ago or so.

As for Lampard and Solsjkaer, it's fairly easy to compare similar contexts. For one, Smith literally beat Lampard in the playoff final. He then went on to get the Chelsea job. Talk about failing upwards. Ditto for Solsjkaer (who was my favorite player growing up), got relegated with Cardiff and sacked in the Championship from what I remember and now he's at the helm of the biggest club in the country. Don't think he's really shown anything to suggest he's a decent manager tbh, as much as I'd love him to prove the haters wrong.

paulscholes18

1) Klopp- won the league and Champions league
2) Pep- won everything, but seemed to have lost his way recently
3) Carlo- won the league in 4 different countries and CL 3 times, Everton having their best start in donkey years
4) Bielsa- plays a fantastic style of football,
5) Jose- no the manager he once was, but seems to be getting right ATM
6) Nuno- has his way of playing and it works,
7) Hasenhuttl- turned it right around from looking like getting the sack after losing 9-0
8) Rodgers- started off well last season before bellyflopping, and started this season OK
9) Smith- smashing Liverpool 7-2 can’t be a bad manager to do that.
10) Dyshe- see nuno, but more boring
11) Arteta- turned it around at Arsenal but too new to management to be any higher
12) Hodgeson- solid
13) Bruce- Solid
14) Wilder- interesting style of play but seems to have been found out this season.
15) Lampard- good style with the ball, but all over the shop without it.
16) Parker- Nice Guy, has the players playing for him but the quality in his squad isn’t their
17) Potter- plays good football but he is hopeless at setting his side to defend set plays.
18) Ole- done well when he was the caretaker but now the only reason he’s still has a job is because of Bruno.
19) Bilic- crap when managing West Ham in the premiership and he’s been crap again in the premiership with West Brom
20) Moyes- thundercnut and West Ham have been better since he got Covid

Paul_Scholes18

Have you blocked out the 2013/14 season from memory? That's why some people on here look down on him.
Well for this season. I thought it was a recent ranking. If we consider everything managers have done then it is different.

1 Anchelotti
2 Pep
3 Mourinho
4 Klopp
5 Bielsa

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m going to rank them based on their performance from the beginning of last season, 2019-20, as I only want to judge their current standards and it’s fair to the managers who only recently made it to the big time, like Smith. Reputation and previous achievements do not come into it.

1) Bielsa - Lucky to be first, but would be unlucky to be second. Great Championship season. Goes toe to toe with everybody, and always comes out deserving something like Leeds did against Pool and City. Just edges Klopp for me.

2) Klopp - Great job too. Won the league. Unlucky to be second.
This just doesn't make sense.