Marcus Rashford
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham

Mark Hughes
Anthony Martial
Javier Hernandez

Brian McClair
Danny Welbeck

Nice thread. Hughes and McClair before my time, but from the season reviews/highlights I've seen I think I'm happy with my ordering here.

pacifictheme

Winning is part of it for sure, but not the only thing, because It depends on the team behind them. No-one can blame Ruud for us not winning more, he was a one man strikeforce on many occasions. With those other players, they all played a part but their contribution to their team was proportionately less than Ruud's was to his.
Yeah not blaming him at all. Got unlucky with playing for us in a mini transition.

I would still have Cole and Yorke above him though, their contributions were significant and also ran alongside some of our greatest successes.

Von Mistelroum

Eric Cantona
Wayne Rooney
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Robin Van Persie

Dimitar Berbatov
Andy Cole
Dwight Yorke
Mark Hughes
Brian McClair
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham

Louis Saha
Anthony Martial
Marcus Rashford
Danny Welbeck
Javier Hernandez

Lentwood

Rank these best to worst, based on their United performances. This is (I think) all (predominantly) strikers with at least 100 United appearances over the last 30 years.

Mark Hughes
Brian McClair
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham
Dwight Yorke
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Louis Saha
Wayne Rooney
Dimitar Berbatov
Danny Welbeck
Javier Hernandez
Robin Van Persie
Anthony Martial
Marcus Rashford

GO!!!
Ranked by impact/longevity, not necessarily by how talented each individual may be.

Wayne Rooney
Eric Cantona
Andy Cole
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Mark Hughes
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dwight Yorke
Robin van Persie
Dimitar Berbatov
Brian McClair
Louis Saha
Marcus Rashford
Javier Hernandez
Anthony Martial
Carlos Tevez
Diego Forlan
Danny Welbeck

Chabon

Welbeck & Forlan above Lukaku is bizzare.
Not really, these are their comparative PL stats at United:

55(11), 28 goals + 8 assists: A goal or assist every 139 minutes
53(39), 20 goals + 13 assists: A goal or assist every 153 minutes

They're both perfectly okay attacking records but a bit short of the club's (traditional) standards. However one of those players cost 80 million quid and won nothing, and other came through the academy and won the league. As for Diego, he was mostly shite yes, but he was a cult hero at the club, whereas Lukaku was, well, whatever the opposite of that is.

Now, Martial above Mark Hughes, that's properly bizarre

Chabon

Excuse the double post, but I just put this together:

2,000 minutes in the premier league was the cutoff point, and italicised players are those who, to my memory, played a significant portion of their games in midfield/out wide. Brian McClair, for example, had almost entirely transitioned to being a midfielder by the time football was invented.

iHicksy

1. CR7
  2. Rooney
  3. Ruud
  4. RvP
  5. Cantona
  6. Cole
  7. Yorke
  8. Tevez
  9. Solskjaer
  10. Berbatov
  11. Rashford
  12. Sheringham
  13. Ibra
  14. Saha
  15. Hernandez
  16. Martial
  17. Forlan
  18. Welbeck
  19. Lukaku

Can't comment on McClair or Hughes as I don't remember much about them.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ronaldo has to be included, surely? He is no less of a forward than Martial, Rashford, and players of that ilk.
I did think whether to add him into my list but I concluded that he was regarded more as a winger or attacking midfielder in his United days. More of a central attacker later on.

90 + 5min

Are we talking about strikers or forwards? There is some difference. Are we talking about all arounders or just typical strikers?

First and most important, Eric Cantona is the King and will always be. But I didn't see him as a typical striker. Some other names were not "strikers" either. Like one of my old favorites McClair. However if I would rank those who I see as strikers it would be:

1. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Absolutly deadly. Every time he got ball in the box you knew he would score. He might not have scored most goals in our history but I believe there has never been any better striker than him in our club. 5 years later (1 season gone because of injuries), 90 goals.

2. Wayne Rooney
Wonderkid that gave everything for us in every aspects.

3. Mark Hughes
He could do it all. Tough, hard, nasty. I don't think there were lot of centerbacks that loved putting up with him.

tomaldinho1

I don't really see Rooney and Cantona as being similar to the rest, they deserve their own little legendary bracket. Neither was really a traditional striker and both were consistently incredible, Rooney for a much longer time although the transfer stuff will always sit uncomfortably with his legacy. Interestingly looking at transfermarkt's stats they both ended up averaging a goal every other game and then roughly an assist every three games - for a second striker/AM that's pretty phenomenal.

Ruud
Cole
Yorke
Hughes
Saha (without the injuries he could have been near the top IMO)
RVP (no doubt would be near the top if we'd had him for more of his peak)
Berba
Sheringham
Ole
Ibra

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I did think whether to add him into my list but I concluded that he was regarded more as a winger or attacking midfielder in his United days. More of a central attacker later on.
I played as a striker for United towards the latter end of his United career if I recall, around about the time he had his heart set on Madrid.

He was more of a winger for us though, plus it's your thread so I'll just shut up now.

giggslover

OK...so is Danny Welbeck actually bad or is he average -> good compared to a list of greats?? Darren Fletcher (who I always pair with Welbeck, rarely do I think about one without the other) definitely and pretty sure Rooney as well have both come out and praised Welbeck's united career in recent years.

sajeev

OK...so is Danny Welbeck actually bad or is he average -> good compared to a list of greats?? Darren Fletcher (who I always pair with Welbeck, rarely do I think about one without the other) definitely and pretty sure Rooney as well have both come out and praised Welbeck's united career in recent years.
Why would anyone do that?
Unless you haven't watched either of them play and know their impact.
Fletcher at his best was putting in world class performances and in my opinion, which is not conventional, I think he was better than Carrick

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Cantona (King)
2. Rooney (longevity, all time top scorer)
3. Ruud (our best ever goalscorer)
4. Hughes (Legend)
5. Van Persie (one season wonder, but truly world class)
6. Cole (long service, our treble winning striker)
7. Yorke (key ingredient of treble winner)
8. Solskjaer (CL winning goal, Legend, boss)
9. Sheringham (CL decisive moment)
10. McClair (long service, good forward)
11. Berbatov (great assist, lazy but great football control/technique)
12. Rashford (talented, young and learning)
13. Martial (talented, young and learning)
14. Hernandez (new Solskjaer)
15. Saha (man made of glass)
16. Welbeck (wanker)

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Mark Hughes 7
Brian McClair 4
Eric Cantona 3
Andy Cole 5
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 10
Teddy Sheringham 8
Dwight Yorke 6
Ruud Van Nistelrooy 2
Louis Saha 12
Wayne Rooney 1
Dimitar Berbatov 11
Danny Welbeck 14
Javier Hernandez 15
Robin Van Persie 9
Anthony Martial 13
Marcus Rashford 12

NoPace

2,000 minutes in the premier league was the cutoff point, and italicised players are those who, to my memory, played a significant portion of their games in midfield/out wide. Brian McClair, for example, had almost entirely transitioned to being a midfielder by the time football was invented.
Chicharito is being underrated here, even though yes he couldn't pass or hold up the ball. He still scared defensive lines with his pace and eagerness to get in behind which pushed them back and opened up space and did work hard without the ball. Not exactly a tough player to play with, hell neither was Inzaghi.

Couple that with being the only one near Van Nistelrooy in goals per minute and he's gotta be above better all-around players like Saha, Berbatov, McClair or Hughes. He scored a ton off the bench and Berbatov could literally never do that, which matters to me since neither were so good for us they could realistically be undroppable, as neither was good enough to be the main man in attack and if you're talking winning the league would probably only be the #3 guy behind a top winger like Cristiano and a 10 like Rooney when he was that or the year Scholes scored a bunch.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
1. Ruud
2.Rooney
3.Cantona
4.Hughes
5.Cole.
6.Solskjaer.
7.Yorke
8.RVP
9.Sheringham
10.Berbatov

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From 2006/7 onwards:

1. Rooney
2. RvP

3. Berbatov
4. Ibrahimovic
5. Tevez

6. Lukaku
7. Martial
8. Hernandez

9. Rashford
10. Welbeck

Lukaku isn't my style of player and Martial is, but Lukaku was very productive in his first season and did marginally better than his reputation.
Hernandez was an excellent poacher but his general play wasn't good, otherwise he'd move up a tier. Rahford is a good goalscorer but an unreliable striker, much better off the wing.
I obviously love Berba's style and his MPG stat posted here is on the higher end, especially considering he did a lot of hold-up and passing.
Not sure about my Tevez rating at all, that MPG is awful too.
Rooney over RvP because he had about 5 good/great seasons compared to 1 outstanding one. 2006/07 Rooney was a playmaker second striker and 09/10 was a pure 9, and both were excellent.
I think if Martial fulfils everything he has, he can displace everyone and reach 3rd in this list.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Based on preference and who I've admired most:

Eric Cantona
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Dwight Yorke
Andy Cole
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dimitar Berbatov
Louis Saha
Marcus Rashford
Robin Van Persie
Javier Hernandez
Wayne Rooney
Mark Hughes
Teddy Sheringham
Anthony Martial
Danny Welbeck
Brian McClair

It feels weird putting such a legend like Rooney all the way down the list, but I guess the difference really shows in the way he's been handling himself at the club. Absolute legend and thanks for all the goals, but when I compare him to Cantona, who left at his peak, there's heaps of difference in my admiration of the two.

Cantona was a puzzle too, Rooney pretty straight-forward, and the contract negotiations ruined it a bit for me too. That's also why I'm not a big fan of Ronaldo after all he's done. He seems to have done it all only for himself, and never truly showed affection for no one but himself. Cantona was helping and playing with homeless people after his career ended. What a man.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It has to be between Ruud, Rooney and Cantona at the top depending on what you rate the most - goalscoring ability or legacy or charisma+output

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I do remember watching Cantona but I was definitely too young to judge properly so I'm excluding him and those before him.

Wayne Rooney
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Andy Cole
Dwight Yorke
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Robin Van Persie
Teddy Sheringham
Louis Saha
Dimitar Berbatov
Marcus Rashford
Anthony Martial
Javier Hernandez
Danny Welbeck

fps

Cole and Yorke identical minutes per goal, so fitting!

Full bodied red

Out and out CF, then it'd be RvN

Most valuable to us, then has to be a tie between Cantona and Rooney

Special mention - Andrew Cole, who improved and improved and improved and improved during his time with us.

Not too sure that Welbeck deserves to even be on a list that also includes the likes of Sheringham, Berbatov and Hughes.

Jazmodo

1. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Why? He scored THAT goal on the 26th May '99. No other player has scored a more important (club) goal in the history of English football - the goal that secured the only English treble, ever :D

2. Eric Cantona
3. Wayne Rooney
4. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
5. Andy Cole

I'm too young to properly judge/rate Mark Hughes or Brian McClair.

The rest? All pretty much equally good on their day.

Paul_Scholes18

I didn't like Rooney near the end, but peak Wayne Rooney is top for me.

Then I guess Ruud and Cantona follows. Although we never won the CL with them.

OGS, Yorke and Cole should be up there for the treble winning season for sure.

facund

Great work with the stats @Chabon

There is a great thread with the stats from 87/88 onward that might help people understand the impacts and careers of McClair, Hughes and the like. It's a wonderful resource in general.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-goals-and-assists-1987-88-today.396084/

Prior to RVN, McClair was the last United striker to clock 30+ goals in a season, he'd scored 40+ the season before at Celtic. He pretty much kept pace with Hughes in the 4 years following and played an important role in the side that won the FA Cup, League Cup & Cup winners cup across three seasons . This started the winning momentum that was to build over the next decade. He then lost his position to Eric Cantona (no shame in that) but adjusted to a deeper role, playing nearly every game in the title winning triumph of 92/93. Roy Keane arrived and McClair not only lost his position but also his permanent place on the team-sheet. He still played a shed load of games and was a key figure in the squad as it transitioned to the 'fledglings' but never again would we see the razor-sharp striker that arrived.

Precursor, I adore Cantona.
History is all about who is telling the story and sometimes due to the romanticism of a particular narrative it takes centre-stage and shrouds more practical, mundane realities.

Eric is kind of viewed as the catalyst that pushed us over the edge, he is iconic, symbolic of the end of our 26 year wait for league success.

Truth is, we were already a fantastic team that somehow conspired to not win the league the season before Eric arrived. We had built the momentum and relished the taste of winning. With three cups in 24 months we were already on the cusp and had we won the league in 91/92 (and we really should have) we would talk a hell of a lot more about that pre-Cantona team. Figures such as Hughes & McClair are pivotal protagonists in the building of the United legacy that emerged, McClair being involved in coaching and the like up until 2015. Cantona was the most extravagant, indulgent icing on an already perfectly baked cake.

There is nothing sexy about McClair, even writing this I am thinking more about Eric than him, but he and others deserve far more shine then they'll ever receive.
Viva Choccy!

Strelok

1. Cantona (King)
2. Rooney (longevity, all time top scorer)
3. Ruud (our best ever goalscorer)
4. Hughes (Legend)
5. Van Persie (one season wonder, but truly world class)
6. Cole (long service, our treble winning striker)
7. Yorke (key ingredient of treble winner)
8. Solskjaer (CL winning goal, Legend, boss)
9. Sheringham (CL decisive moment)
10. McClair (long service, good forward)
11. Berbatov (great assist, lazy but great football control/technique)
12. Rashford (talented, young and learning)
13. Martial (talented, young and learning)
14. Hernandez (new Solskjaer)
15. Saha (man made of glass)
16. Welbeck (wanker)
Pretty much this :lol:

However I have a weird belief that Rashford would be in the top 5 by the end of his career.

OleTheGreat

1. Eric Cantona
  2. Wayne Rooney
  3. Ruud Van Nistelrooy (my personal favourite)
  4. Andy Cole
  5. Robin Van Persie
  6. Mark Hughes
  7. Dwight Yorke
  8. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
  9. Dimitar Berbatov
  10. Teddy Sheringham
  11. Brian McClair
  12. Marcus Rashford
  13. Javier Hernandez
  14. Anthony Martial
I just wish we had Ruud for a few more seasons. He was the best #9 and going to RMA after a feud with The boss was all on him.

alexthelion

My top 10 (in order(:

Ruud van Nistelrooy
Eric Cantona
Wayne Rooney
Mark Hughes
Brian McClair
Robin van Persie
Dwight Yorke
Andy Cole
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Javier Hernandez