Rank your best (PL) players to come out of the utd academy.

Zed 101

Beckham
Giggs
Scholes
G Neville
Rashford
Fletcher
Butt
Tuanzebe
Sharpe
O'Shea
Brown
P Neville
Gilespe

I am not counting Pogba, for the same reason I have not included other players making their bones at other clubs, for me to be a youth product for my list they have to break through at Utd and Pogba didn't, if I was in my list he would be below Butt based on which past players I would rather have instead of him.... I know the haters gone a hate on this, I know Pogba on talent would probably be 4th in my list, but in regard to the impact those players would have (except maybe Gary) from Butt up those players would mean more to our team now than Pogba based on his level of consistency.

Web of Bissaka

Best?

1. Beckham
2. Scholes
3. Giggs
4. Hughes
5. Butt
6. GNev
7. Pogba
8. Fletcher
9. Rashford
10. Rafael
11. McTominay
12. Brown
13. O'Shea
14. Evans
15. PNev

Only taking their Utd times into consideration. Pretty sure some here joined our academy "very late", doesn't matter, still the same our graduates.

djembatheking

Beckham
Giggs
Scholes
G Neville
Rashford
Fletcher
Butt
Tuanzebe
Sharpe
O'Shea
Brown
P Neville
Gilespe

I am not counting Pogba, for the same reason I have not included other players making their bones at other clubs, for me to be a youth product for my list they have to break through at Utd and Pogba didn't, if I was in my list he would be below Butt based on which past players I would rather have instead of him.... I know the haters gone a hate on this, I know Pogba on talent would probably be 4th in my list, but in regard to the impact those players would have (except maybe Gary) from Butt up those players would mean more to our team now than Pogba based on his level of consistency.
Lee Sharpe was signed from Torquay United at 17 years of age .

M Bison

Supports
York City
The likes of Butt and Fletcher are miles ahead of Pogba, and if he carries on, so too will McT.

Zed 101

Lee Sharpe was signed from Torquay United at 17 years of age .
yeah I know but still really broke through at Utd.... and as part of the halcyon days of my youth I am including him as he came through with Giggs

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Talent wise, Giggs has to be top of the list. But impact and longevity at top level, make Scholes as my numero uno.

youngrell

Posters must be young ranking Scott ahead of Butt, Fletcher and P.Neville already. All 3 of those had very good PL careers even after leaving us.

Hell, even Kieron Richardson has probably done more than Scott so far.

Bwuk

Fletcher and Brown are extremely under rated going off this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For the PL rather than what they did elsewhere (Pique, Rossi and Pogba)

1. Giggs
2. Scholes
3. Beckham
4. Neville (it's a farce he's placed so low in these lists, he's literally one of the best fullbacks of the PL era!)
5. Hughes
6. Butt
7. Brown
8. Fletcher
9. Evans
10. Pogba

I have no idea what is prompting people to put the likes of McTominay and Rashford in top 10's amongst key contributors in winning Premier League, FA Cup and league cup campaigns, let alone their CL contributions.

simplyared

Posters must be young ranking Scott ahead of Butt, Fletcher and P.Neville already. All 3 of those had very good PL careers even after leaving us.

Hell, even Kieron Richardson has probably done more than Scott so far.
Read the OP. MacT could well go past those players. He's not the finished product. Give him another season and you'll be proved wrong.

youngrell

Read the OP. MacT could well go past those players. He's not the finished product. Give him another season and you'll be proved wrong.
I’ve not said Scott hasn’t got the potential to be very good, I’m a longtime admirer, but placing him above those who have already achieved due to potential is a bit crazy. I mean, I would say Greenwood has even more potential but placing him on the list would also be wrong.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How many times does this need to be said, when Beckham was at United he was a fantastic player amongst fantastic players, but he was a level below Giggs & Scholes. Anyone who was around at the time & saw them play together should know this.
I was around at the time and saw them play together many times. But OP asks for best player, Scholes retired early from England and never reached the heights he could have done internationally. Becks captained his country, played for two of the best clubs in the world at the time and was outstanding for both. He was so much more than a 1999 flash in pan. But it is subjective, so it doesn’t matter how many times you say it, I politely disagree. Becks was the better player, had the better career and proved it on more stages. Scholes however was a magical player too, no doubt, but for best player becks tops him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No way Beckham is above Scholes :nono:
I think it's debatable. "No way" is like you are trying to say so obvious that Scholes should be above Beckham. Beckham was in Ballon dor runner up in 1999. He achieved more individual award than Scholes so calling it as "No way" is non sense.

Danish Wizard

Very difficult, as we have been blessed with some top players. Hopefully more to come in the future.
For me Giggs is number one, with Scholes and Beckham following.

red4ever 79

Judging on potential also:
1. Giggs
2. Beckham
3. Scholes
4. Rashford (yes he'll be up there)
5. Pogba (can't leave him out)
6. Hughes
7. G Neville
8. Fletcher
9. McTominay
10. Butt
Beckham above Scholes is unbelivable. Toss up between Scholes and Giggs for me.

Josep Dowling

The likes of Butt and Fletcher are miles ahead of Pogba, and if he carries on, so too will McT.
Pogba is way more talented than those. I feel most fan re-write history on Darren Fletcher. He was a bit-part player for us most of his career and in his prime was injured with the stomach issue he had. He was a good player but to suggest he was better than Pogba is a joke for me.

Castia

John O’Shea was a brilliant squad player for us and made 260 appearances winning everything in the process. Should be on there in front of the likes of McTerminator at least for now.

Anyway top 5:

Scholes
Giggs
Beckham
G.Neville
Pogba

Rashford is our best talent in years though and will probably make the top 5 list in time.

Last edited:

youngrell

Pogba is way more talented than those. I feel most fan re-write history on Darren Fletcher. He was a bit-part player for us most of his career and in his prime was injured with the stomach issue he had. He was a good player but to suggest he was better than Pogba is a joke for me.
Seems like you are the one re-writing history. Fletcher played over 300 games for us, making 40+ apps multiple seasons. He was not a bit part player at all. In fact, a lot of fans thought he played too much, especially earlier in his career.

Trezeguet17

Am i missing something with McTomminay? Why is he named in this thread?
What has he done except becoming a starter in the worst United Midfield in the PL era?

M Bison

Supports
York City
But by that definition, Ravel Morison should be in the list. Described as one of the most talented players to have ever come through the youth ranks. “Talent” for me runs a lot deeper and Fletcher/Butt were exceptional talents. Pogba would look far better in a YouTube clip though.

Probably for a different thread but Fletcher was far more than a bit part player. He was awesome in his prime, would love to have him in our CM now.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Seems like you are the one re-writing history. Fletcher played over 300 games for us, making 40+ apps multiple seasons. He was not a bit part player at all. In fact, a lot of fans thought he played too much, especially earlier in his career.
Agreed.

I was a massive Fletcher fan, class act in his day.

wolvored

Although he spent more time at La Masia, Pique came out of the Utd academy. Should be above Neville at least, up for debate how he compares to midfielders/forwards.
He was bought from Barca at 17 I think so wasnt technically a Utd kid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How many times to we have to say this is nonsense and say anyone who watched us in 99 knows Becks hit way higher heights than Scholes.
It’s just fashionable now to say Scholes.
Yeah, from memory when they were both at the club Beckham was by far the better player with Giggs in my opinion largely above. But Scholes improved over the years and became a genuinely great player in his late 20s and maintained that level until 33-34 years old. The second part of Scholes career is why I would put him above Beckham, it's a shame that Beckham went to the US that early.