Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

Two leaders at CB now, gotta love it. Said before that the left wing will be non-existent from the opposition now. The recovery tackle from both of them is top notch
That's why Traore started running in the middle, into Fred, who was the weakest spot of our team on Sunday.

Redcy

I loved this guy before, but seeing him at the weekend showed exactly why he was worth getting, actual world class. I have always been of the opinion Lindelof is a decent defender, but doesn't really have the brains and vision, Varane is genuinely lovely to watch, I was in the pub watching with my daughter and we saw him come across for that block and she said "wow, not sure many players would have been there to stop that", hard to disagree.

lex talionis

Lindelof began to win me over, but he’s just too susceptible to getting bullied.

When the chance to sign one of the top CBs on the planet presented itself, the upgrade from coach to first class could not be passed by.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Watch out people, they've won the resale battle!

Arsenal are back baby!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Arsenal are back baby!

If White spends the next 4 years earning £80k he will not be considered a success.

Teja

They're just making up numbers at this point. Even if Varane's on Ramos level wages (15M Eur / yr = 12.5M GBP / yr), it's 250k p/w. It has also been reported that he was on similar wages as Maguire (who's on 190k p/w) but let's ignore that for now.

CBSSports reports White's on 100k p/w (5.2M p / yr). Other places say 120k p/w. 80k p/w seems like intentional under reporting.

Overall that's 102.5M / 5 years for Varane vs 76M / 5 years for White. I'd prefer to ignore the resale value nonsense it has too many variables. White could be shit in which case he'd be a liability on the wage bill. He could be excellent in which case they'd have to give him a new contract on higher wages. The football transfer market could collapse by then. Who knows.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If White spends the next 4 years earning £80k he will not be considered a success.
Exactly. And as a result this resale value they're shouting about here will probably be considerably less than what they paid for him.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

Arsenal are back baby!

So...the better player will cost more in the long run? i.e - Arsenal have paid less for less?

That's an elite mentality right there. :houllier:

SER19

Arsenal are back baby!

Wait are they celebrating that if a player comes good for them and then wants to move to an actual big club, they'll get good money?

Yagami

Good post resistant
AFTV really have turned Arsenal into a meme club. The IT Crowd started it with that one scene, but AFTV went the full hog.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wait are they celebrating that if a player comes good for them and then wants to move to an actual big club, they'll get good money?
Yep

It's what every fan loves: a good resale story :drool:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I remember when Arsene said he could have signed world class players, at least he acknowledged them.

Now Arsenal sign average players and pretend they are better than world class ones by making up numbers and ignoring actual talent.

OmarUnited4ever

They're just making up numbers at this point. Even if Varane's on Ramos level wages (15M Eur / yr = 12.5M GBP / yr), it's 250k p/w. It has also been reported that he was on similar wages as Maguire (who's on 190k p/w) but let's ignore that for now.

CBSSports reports White's on 100k p/w (5.2M p / yr). Other places say 120k p/w. 80k p/w seems like intentional under reporting.

Overall that's 102.5M / 5 years for Varane vs 76M / 5 years for White. I'd prefer to ignore the resale value nonsense it has too many variables. White could be shit in which case he'd be a liability on the wage bill. He could be excellent in which case they'd have to give him a new contract on higher wages. The football transfer market could collapse by then. Who knows.
To be fair, the wage numbers quoted in the tweet is from an article by James McNicholas in the Athletic, so they didn't make it up.

But James is an Arsenal writer, though he writes for The Athletic, so i guess he probably got his info from reliable journalists like Ornstein as he writes "The Athletic understands..." then he goes on to write what's mentioned on the tweet

GBBQ

I just never got the whole net spend angle from fans, like it’s some sort of moral victory. Liverpool fans wear it like a badge of honour. White may turn out to be a great signing, maybe even better than Varane for all we know at this stage, but there’s no point comparing costs of bringing in a proven winner versus a potential talent based on how much you have to pay them.

C'est Moi Cantona

Like always, just as long as we can afford it, then who cares.

We are lucky we can afford to make expensive mistakes, Varane won't be one of them though,

Tony247

Arsenal are back baby!

Resale value :lol:

Seller club mentality. Arsenal and their supporters deserve each other. Imagine balcklash if any united fan channel posted something on sancho or bruno's resale value!

Cloud7

Arsenal are back baby!

A big club, or in the case of arsenal a big club in name and fanbase, should not ever concern themselves with resale value. You sign players to your first team for what they bring to the team, not because you might want to sell them on later.

spiriticon

I wish we'd stop comparing White to Varane.

Its like comparing a Fiat to a Rolls Royce.

AFC NimbleThumb

This really sums it up perfectly.
White earns ‘around’, Varane earns ‘at least’. So you haven’t got a clue what they actually earn & are making up the figures. . .

SAF is the GOAT

Not in the line up today in the France team, hope its only because of giving him rest.

Zoo

Varane and Benzema are not 100% physically, it is difficult for the two to play all three matches.

He’ll play on Tuesday.

lloyd2wayne

Brilliant. Everything looks so calm and easy with him, a very calming influence in our back line. An experienced leader too

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Had no idea his left foot was so good. Effortless cute passes all day long. That’s a title winning partnership warming up for sure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Played well and I think he'll get better the more he plays with his new team mates. He's definitely a cut above.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He and Maguire are very good together
I actually thought they were a bit too far apart from each other today and left each other exposed a few times. It’s still very early in their partnership so not something to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.