Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBurner

Any Madridstas in here can tell me if Varane has a good first touch and a decent pass? I just saw a tweet from an idiot comparing him to Smalling. Apparently they are like for like according to the idiot. Smalling cant pass so thats one similarity ruled out.

United in sin

It's exciting to finally have a genuinely world class center back at the club again. This could turn out to be the signing of the season!

Any Madridstas in here can tell me if Varane has a good first touch and a decent pass? I just saw a tweet from an idiot comparing him to Smalling. Apparently they are like for like according to the idiot. Smalling cant pass so thats one similarity ruled out.
They bear many similarities actually bar technical ability/passing. Their physiology is very similar- including height- and they are both rapid and great in 1v1s and aerially dominant. Smalling is a bigger goal threat though and Varane is the all rounder. I was desperate for United to sign Varane in 2011 because I actually thought him and Smalling could potentially develop a great partnership in the future. We got Jones instead

lsd

The Oracle
Seemed invisible tonight. Probably needs time

A-man

Hes good on the ball but not amazing. Much better than Smalling, don’t know who made that comparison. Imo not as good as Maguire or Lindelof on the ball.

Silas

Not a Madridsta, but Smalling wishes he could do this:

In training, but still.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
he is a mod on RedCafe apparently. Way to prove your allegiance!

Welcome to United, Raphael @Varun

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Wasn't a report days ago that he was reading united fan sites to see what fans said about his transfer?
No idea, but it would not surprise me if all United players visited the Caf here and there.

At least those with a passing knowledge of the English language.

That's how massive we are mate.

Scottynaldinho

Still feels odd seeing this thread. What a coup. Absolutely cannot wait to see him in red shirt. He'll look wonderful in red.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What we can expect from Varane:

No fanfare: Raphaël Varane’s Manchester United arrival is typically low-key

“When I was little they said I didn’t have the mentality to triumph,” Varane has admitted. “I was nice, not enough of a bad guy.” There’s not much blood or thunder. Not much in the way of mud, either. No flying tackles, drama or defiance; no chasing lost causes, standing before supporters, chest out roaring. “My style doesn’t make you think I’m a warrior,” he said. “Anticipation is the key: you don’t have to touch an opponent to take the ball. I try not to go to ground.”
Tall and athletic, there’s a presence about Varane, an understated authority. But not exactly the loudest in the dressing room, nor immediately charismatic or flamboyant, he doesn’t demand attention, on or off the pitch. He just plays: regularly for a decade at the most unforgiving place, remember.
“He’s a quiet lad who never causes problems, doesn’t make any noise and never wanted to be in the spotlight, and that personality fits the way he plays,” Varane’s then teammate explained. “He does everything in a way that makes it look easy. He’s got an incredible physique, such, such, such brutal speed that where others go racing across and dive in to the tackle, Rafa gets there a moment earlier, plays it to the keeper and it’s like he hasn’t done anything. I don’t know if that means he doesn’t get recognition but it hasn’t worked badly for him. No one has ever won four Champions Leagues as young.”

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
26 yellow cards in ten years is ridiculous. The anti Ramos.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
26 yellow cards in ten years is ridiculous. The anti Ramos.
To continue the Ferdinand comparison a bit — Rio ended with about double the career appearances that Varane currently has, and 53 yellow cards.

theklr

I reckon he’s doing a Ramos and just angling for a better contract.
100% agree. Massive red flag that the visa supposedly is stalling , thats just him renegotiating contract with Perez.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The closer this gets, the more absurd it feels. Raphael Varane, Real Madrid legend, in a Manchester United shirt at the top of his career.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
After reading that Guardian Article i feel as though he has been really overlooked during his time at Madrid, I'm glad he's a red now, also glad he's moved to a country were defending is praised as much as scoring a goal.

EngimaMK

It looks like he’s looking at the weird pile of wood rather than the TV

Also expected a millionaire to have a bigger TV
I heard that United own a nice house in the Cheshire countryside where top players can go to be a bit more comfortable than in a hotel.

dal

He showed great passion today I thought he was outstanding, our best player before the game and he didn’t play.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
if that reaction from the crowd + the exciting match doesn’t make him fall in love with united, then nothing will! bet he properly enjoyed that.

That sort of warmth is something you’d only get from the sun in Madrid

Sylar

Thats how you do an unveiling of a new signing, especially a big one like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.