Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

He's getting better every game. He needs time to link in with the new players around him and he's doing fine. He will be a great player for us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well that's mainly because even with the odd mistake, there's a feeling of reliability and calmness with Varane, which is quite the opposite of Lindelof.
No its just because of his reputation. Varane was ok yesterday, we didn't defend well as a team

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He said in a recent interview on french TV that the physical aspect of the PL and the various atmosphere at away grounds was very different than in Spain. He is loving the challenge and has hinted that he will adapt better with time.
I think Varane needed to get out of his comfort zone in Madrid, he will show his best form, we just need to be patient and also Maguire to stop playing like a bellend

Scottynaldinho

What a quality addition to our defense. He's so calm and composed on and off the ball, a complete defender.

My only worry is that for all the great defending he does, there's a mistake in him every game which hasn't been punished so far. For anyone who's seen him regularly at Madrid, was he this error prone?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He has been good. Not on the VVD level, but still on an elite level. Maguire not so much, and im still not comfident we will get a run of cleen sheets in the near future like our competition do.

No its just because of his reputation. Varane was ok yesterday, we didn't defend well as a team
He's much better than Lindelof and also Maguire, that's based on games as much as reputation.

There was a moment yesterday where West Ham pressed him onto his left foot with few options. He played a perfect 20 or 30 yard left footed pass between about 3 West Ham players to reach our midfield. Lindelof can't do that and Maguire definitely cant.

MDFC Manager

He's much better than Lindelof and also Maguire, that's based on games as much as reputation.

There was a moment yesterday where West Ham pressed him onto his left foot with few options. He played a perfect 20 or 30 yard left footed pass between about 3 West Ham players to reach our midfield. Lindelof can't do that and Maguire definitely cant.
Subjectively speaking I'd also add that we'd have lost yesterday with Lindelof in place of Varane, especially with the form that Maguire finds himself in

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He said in a recent interview on french TV that the physical aspect of the PL and the various atmosphere at away grounds was very different than in Spain. He is loving the challenge and has hinted that he will adapt better with time.
I think Varane needed to get out of his comfort zone in Madrid, he will show his best form, we just need to be patient and also Maguire to stop playing like a bellend
Agreed the one thing I was gonna post was that I absolutely adore how much he seems to be enjoying the challenge of the Premier League. His instagram caption yesterday hinted at the same and I think he just loves the physical battle. It has become clear in his case that he really did just want to try a different style of football compared to Madrid. When combined with his previous history with Utd it’s clear to see why he joined us.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s actually amazing with his left foot. He plays more passes with his left than his right to be honest which is surprising.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a quality addition to our defense. He's so calm and composed on and off the ball, a complete defender.

My only worry is that for all the great defending he does, there's a mistake in him every game which hasn't been punished so far. For anyone who's seen him regularly at Madrid, was he this error prone?
What mistakes did he make?

The goal he shouldn't have turned his back but apart from that I can't think of anything.

He saved us on more than 1 occasion also.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Not saying he isn't.
I'm responding to why his performance yesterday, and if Lindelof put in the same performance the rating and commentary would be different.

He was ok yesterday and nothing more

poleglass red

he did okay yesterday, not great but not awful either. He got better as the game went on. There's enough to see that he will be a quality addition, just taking time adapting as is normal, plus he wasn't helped by our central mid paring yesterday who were poor.

criticalanalysis

He’s actually amazing with his left foot. He plays more passes with his left than his right to be honest which is surprising.
Yes this. He played a glorious cross field switch to Shaw with his left like a natural. It wasn't some easy, hitting the free man in acres of space type either, it was a difficult find.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Has been our best defender so far this season. He is top quality signing.

lloyd2wayne

Yes this. He played a glorious cross field switch to Shaw with his left like a natural. It wasn't some easy, hitting the free man in acres of space type either, it was a difficult find.
He loves those cross field passes with his left. I realized that when I was watching a YouTube compilation of him and I was quiet shocked how often and easy he passes it with left foot. Very two footed, he can play on the right or left CB with no problem.

criticalanalysis

He loves those cross field passes with his left. I realized that when I was watching a YouTube compilation of him and I was quiet shocked how often and easy he passes it with left foot. Very two footed, he can play on the right or left CB with no problem.
I was told by someone here, he's 'slightly worse' than Lindelof in passing ffs :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's probably my favourite signing of the four we made. He's fast, great in the air, great on the ground. Great with the ball on either foot.

Hughes35

Just quietly gone about his business so far which is what you want from a CB really.

I think he will be a player that grows on the fans. Great signing and hoping Maguire finds his best form soon too.

Really good CB partnership.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's settled in so fast. I had a little worry that he might find the long ball nature of the premier league a bit tougher - but he's taken to it like a duck to water.

It's clear he really did want a 'new challenge' and is taking it literally head on.

spiriticon

Right foot, left foot, great in the air (I'm surprised about this actually), tactically and positionally astute.

Oh my word.

ash_86

He blocks almost all the balls cleanly. One of the best deals we've made considering the money we've paid.

largelyworried

Lovely defender to watch. Elegant, two-footed, good in the air, good in the tackle. It feels like forever since we had a defender who didn't have one or two glaring weaknesses that we had to worry about.

El Jefe

I was told by someone here, he's 'slightly worse' than Lindelof in passing ffs :lol:
I'll be honest I also thought he'd be slightly worse than Lindelof on the ball. I've watched Varane for years and his ability on the ball has always stood out as being less than his team mates at RM but that's the problem I was comparing him to the level at Madrid. The way they move the ball is in another stratosphere to ours so Varane was made to look less impressive on the ball because his team had elite passers.

Watching him here for the first few games and he looks to be out best CB on the ball and at passing.

In general though, I think he's been excellent and still has more to give.

A-man

I'll be honest I also thought he'd be slightly worse than Lindelof on the ball. I've watched Varane for years and his ability on the ball has always stood out as being less than his team mates at RM but that's the problem I was comparing him to the level at Madrid. The way they move the ball is in another stratosphere to ours so Varane was made to look less impressive on the ball because his team had elite passers.

Watching him here for the first few games and he looks to be out best CB on the ball and at passing.

It’s a little early to evaluate his passing at United as the back line has not been under much pressure yet. His passing has mostly been safe short passes under little pressure with occasional long balls to the other side and he has managed that well . Lindelof hits a lot of long balls in to the box to either create a goal scoring opportunity as his assist in our first match this season, or to just move up the ball higher up, where we put pressure on the ball receiver and establish the game higher up. It is very different type of passes compared to Maguire and what we’ve seen from Varane so far. In general I think our problem is we are too slow on the ball in the back line and dropping midfielders. If we dominate a match we must transport the ball quicker to let the opponent work hard.

Foxbatt

What he also brings to the defense is confidence. His workload has increased because Maguire is making too many mistakes. Against Southampton, against West Ham too. It will take time for him to get used to the PL.

criticalanalysis

I've said it before but Varane to me does look a bit ungainly on the ball with his frame/hunch. However, as I had predicted, with his experience and pedigree, as long as he would be willing and proactive, he would be an upgrade on Lindelof in the passing department. The Swede looks good and is technically clean but that doesn't translate as effective or progressive and I think people are misguided by that.

It’s a little early to evaluate his passing at United as the back line has not been under much pressure yet. His passing has mostly been safe short passes under little pressure with occasional long balls to the other side and he has managed that well . Lindelof hits a lot of long balls in to the box to either create a goal scoring opportunity as his assist in our first match this season, or to just move up the ball higher up, where we put pressure on the ball receiver and establish the game higher up. It is very different type of passes compared to Maguire and what we’ve seen from Varane so far. In general I think our problem is we are too slow on the ball in the back line and dropping midfielders. If we dominate a match we must transport the ball quicker to let the opponent work hard.
I don't think Varane has been standout brilliant in his passing but he has definitely been positively progressive with the ball in short distances, ball carrying and from what we've seen some good switches of play. I've seen him in the opposition half (for passing and pressing) more times than I would expect of someone like Lindelof. The short passing and confidence to play it out from the back is much more useful and better to rate than a good long ball. The latter is a low risk option that is great to have in the locker when it works but shouldn't be used to elevate one's ability unless they are creating a chance a game or every odd game. 'Putting pressure on the receiver' is just a fancy way of saying, punt it to their half and box them in. We don't play this way and as we've seen from Southampton and West Ham, we're more likely to struggle against this high pressing and low block tactics. Overall though, regardless of personnel we have a fundamental problem with build up and that's on Ole.

A-man

I don't think Varane has been standout brilliant in his passing but he has definitely been positively progressive with the ball in short distances, ball carrying and from what we've seen some good switches of play. I've seen him in the opposition half (for passing and pressing) more times than I would expect of someone like Lindelof. The short passing and confidence to play it out from the back is much more useful and better to rate than a good long ball. The latter is a low risk option that is great to have in the locker when it works but shouldn't be used to elevate one's ability unless they are creating a chance a game or every odd game. 'Putting pressure on the receiver' is just a fancy way of saying, punt it to their half and box them in. We don't play this way and as we've seen from Southampton and West Ham, we're more likely to struggle against this high pressing and low block tactics. Overall though, regardless of personnel we have a fundamental problem with build up and that's on Ole.
Varane is good for the short passes and always plays it safe (almost always at least). He has showed some mistakes when pressed, him losing the ball vs City as most famous example. However most CBs have made mistakes under pressure or else no team would put pressure.
It’s clearly intentional and part of tactics when Lindelof hits a long ball and we immediately put pressure in that zone. We did it basically every kick-off the last season.

I think we struggle for speed, but apart from that Varane, Lindelof and Maguire are all competent enough on the ball. Our midfield is a bigger problem, especially since they lose possession often.

criticalanalysis

Varane is good for the short passes and always plays it safe (almost always at least). He has showed some mistakes when pressed, him losing the ball vs City as most famous example. However most CBs have made mistakes under pressure or else no team would put pressure.
It’s clearly intentional and part of tactics when Lindelof hits a long ball and we immediately put pressure in that zone. We did it basically every kick-off the last season.

I think we struggle for speed, but apart from that Varane, Lindelof and Maguire are all competent enough on the ball. Our midfield is a bigger problem, especially since they lose possession often.
From what I've seen so far, he's safe but also very progressive when the opportunity calls for it and is why I rate his passing (from just general observation) as above Lindelof thus far. Lindelof couldn't deal with Southampton's press in his last Premier League game and he wasn't able to put pressure on their receiving players with a long ball. It can barely be called a tactic as it's a one-off, situational, low risk ball and shouldn't be used to compare Lindelof's passing ability to Varane, which is what the original point was i.e short passing, carrying and progression is more effective/influential.

However, yes I agree we still have issues. Even from a small sample size, whilst is Varane is the superior defender and takes the initiative more (defensively and passing), our play hasn't massively improved. Our midfield and all of the indiviual players can take blame but for me, it's mostly on Ole. Tonight's game is a good example. Regardless of personnel, 1st team with Varane or 2nd team with Lindelof against West Ham, we're out of ideas and rely too much on individual plays.

kiristao

Didn't do much wrong. Easily our first choice CB. It's more a question of who should partner him.

Sylar

That one header In the second half was great. Shame he was on the losing side

Gottabekiddingme

For the love of God. Why do we need Mcfred when we have this guy? The guy covered for an ultra offensive Real Madrid side for the past 10 years. His best attribute is closing down fast transition from the opponents with his amazing speed. Does Ole even realize what he bought?

Devil may care

He's been very good so far and was fine today, interested to see how him and Lindelof do together.

lost7

Is he better than Maguire in the air? I think he might be to be honest

RoyH1

As good as advertised. We're fortunate that a player like him became available. Him and Maguire give us our most solid centre back pairing in more a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.