Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 2:1 Villarreal

Zoo

Aside from that one mistake I thought he was quality. Either side of defence he is very classy.

acnumber9

One really bad mistake he got away with. Aside from that he was great.

El Jefe

He's been fecking great in all games so far but seems to make a big error in every game. He just needs to cut that out because its cost us in some moments.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Making the odd error but I still feel he’s improved us massively.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A mistake in him every game so far.
I won’t argue with that because it’s true but he’s also been massively exposed so it’s expected. What that stat hides is how well he’s dealt with everything else that’s been thrown at him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If Lindelof had made that mistake he’d have been crucified, but that aside I thought he played well.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I won’t argue with that because it’s true but he’s also been massively exposed so it’s expected. What that stat hides is how well he’s dealt with everything else that’s been thrown at him.
True, true. We defend a lot better. The commentators, in the first half, said Villareal screwed up a cut back but it was actually out defence that choked em out. He's good.

Drainy

Made 2 mistakes - the obvious one where he missed the ball, and he was caught out for their goal. I'll let him off though because he was otherwise flawless and has been excellent since joining

Kag

I’ve said it before but he gets through an unbelievable amount of work. It isn’t all perfect by any means, but I love what he brings to the team. Fantastic in the air, too; to the point that Maguire being out isn’t such an issue.

Devil may care

A couple of moments of indecision but he's not hidden away after them and looks up for it, not sure why he went LCB instead of Lindelof.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
True, true. We defend a lot better. The commentators, in the first half, said Villareal screwed up a cut back but it was actually out defence that choked em out. He's good.
That was actually Dalot I think.

Kostov

One man defense, alongside two headless chickens and a pussy of a partner that does feck all. Excellent despite that one brain fart that could have cost us.

A-man

Very good in the air and totally ok on the ground. His long balls were a bit off today and then that horrible mistake of course. First game where he and Lindelof started together and they weren’t really helped by Dalot, but think they had a decent first game as partners.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes class. Our defence is also horrendously exposed and get dragged all over due to our tactics, so I wouldn't get too worried about mistakes like trying to win the ball back high and start something when the rest have been garbage.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He did make a mistake in the game but I can easily overlook that due to his strengths. He brings so much to the table and looks like he's gonna be a real asset for us. He's strong in a low block, mid block and high line due to his ability and attributes. And that's the reason I can overlook a mistake when it comes to Varane. Lindelof and Maguire on the hand aren't as rounded so I expect mistakes from either player and they're best suited to defend in a compact block, unlike Varane who has the attributes to control defensive spaces solo against the quickest of attackers without midfield/fullback assistance.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Played really well tonight. Don't understand the complaints.

SAFMUTD

We were lucky his feck up didnt cost us, he's solid but seems to have one big mistake per game. I expect him to be much better than this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We were lucky his feck up didnt cost us, he's solid but seems to have one big mistake per game. I expect him to be much better than this.
That's due to being horrendously exposed and the horrible give aways from the others though. He's been class and is defending as a one man show pretty much, yes there is occasional moments where he makes a mistake but that happens when the team is that unbalanced and the opposition has constant free runs at us. I wouldn't read much into it.

Andersons Dietician

There were moments last night watching him where it was like ok he is by far the best CB we have and a gulf in class between him and the other two. But then had that miss that led to a massive chance and then the Maguire special of going for a wonder where he has no need to be there.

Kinda mixed in that apart from those two mistakes he was brilliant but then like some have said Lindelof or Maguire make those (more so Lindelof) there would be a firing squad after them.

GueRed

Mixed bag last night.

Got away with a major gaff in the first half. And the wally walkabouts in the 2nd half

But I'm still very confident when he fully adjusts he'll be quality and alongside Maguire will form the best defensive partnership in the league....

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
That's due to being horrendously exposed and the horrible give aways from the others though. He's been class and is defending as a one man show pretty much, yes there is occasional moments where he makes a mistake but that happens when the team is that unbalanced and the opposition has constant free runs at us. I wouldn't read much into it.
He`s had a mistake per game in him for a while now. Just ask the Real fans. Still a very solid defender who im glad we got, but he is not on the VVD or Dias level.

Paranoid Android

Played really well tonight. Don't understand the complaints.
I think he was partially at fault for their goal; striding out so far ultimately to not do anything apart from leave a gaping hole in defence.

Then there was the mistake which nearly led to a goal but, IIRC, De Gea bailed us out?

It was his worst performance for us so far. But these things happen.

Tee27

The odd shaky moments but largely has been very good. Think once he’s settled more and can hopefully form a good partnership with Maguire we will have a very solid defence.

Kopral Jono

Eh? I'm quite surprised by the number of people saying he played well last night. It was his first below-par performance for us and looked uncharacteristically nervy throughout. I thought Lindelof was the more composed of the two.

I'm putting last night down as one of those days for him. He'll be back to being his usual world class self on Saturday.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Fecked up twice and was responsible for one their goal and one of their best chances.

"Other than that solid"

spiriticon

He was playing with an entirely new backline on Weds because our defence can't stay fit or not get suspended, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

CloneMC16

Varane ran out into the midfield during their goal and got nowhere near the ball. I'm surprised very few people have said anything about it. He left a gaping hole in our backline. Telles had to come across and cover, but it wasn't enough. Maybe we still concede if he doesn't do that, but I think his decision making was pretty poor.

Two big errors in this game. We're lucky we got away with the first one. I don't think it was a good game for him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I remember when I got told four or five years ago that the centre backs were the problem, despite our good defensive record, and the likes of Smalling would hold us back because of their mediocrity on the ball.

Varane’s passing has been poor since he got here. Is this typical of him? We seem no closer to having defenders able to play from the back even now, with a far less confident defensive unit.

Walters_19_MuFc

I remember when I got told four or five years ago that the centre backs were the problem, despite our good defensive record, and the likes of Smalling would hold us back because of their mediocrity on the ball.

Varane’s passing has been poor since he got here. Is this typical of him? We seem no closer to having defenders able to play from the back even now, with a far less confident defensive unit.
I still feel Lindelof is our best ball player.

Kag

Poor? What are you even watching?

I’d like to think you aren’t blinded by the one pass to Sancho that went out of play because the speed of Varane’s passing across the deck has been significantly quicker than our other centre halves.

This is something that has been overwhelmingly obvious to me.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Overall I thought he was our best performer today. Mason had that first half, but faded in the second.

El Jefe

Poor? What are you even watching?

I’d like to think you aren’t blinded by the one pass to Sancho that went out of play because the speed of Varane’s passing across the deck has been significantly quicker than our other centre halves.

This is something that has been overwhelmingly obvious to me.
He's clearly not watching, Varane has clearly been our best passer out from the back out of all our CBs. Hasn't made great passes but moves it quickly and passes long and short with both feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.