Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Since he became a fixed starter at Real - According to Transfermarkt - he has the following numbers:

14/15: La Liga 27 matches ; Champions League 12 matches
15/16: La Liga 26 matches ; Champions League 7 matches
16/17: La Liga 23 matches ; Champions League 10 matches
17/18: La Liga 27 matches ; Champions League 11 matches
18/19: La Liga 32 matches ; Champions League 4 matches
19/20: La Liga 32 matches ; Champions League 8 matches
20/21: La Liga 31 matches ; Champions League 9 matches

Assuming a Central Defender is not someone who gets rotated a lot and without any other context: It looks like he is prone to some (minor - medium) injuries every year..
Didn't they also have Pepe till 2017?

sempleat

Supports
Leeds
is this the reason florentino sold him to us ? he knew he was an injury-prone ? dissapointing signing so far but i guess our scouts didnt do the job.

if the madrid boss sells you something you have to think twice.
Eh, Madrid didn't want to get rid of him no, they were willing to offer a new contract but they just weren't willing to offer him the kind of contract that he wanted. He thought he deserved to be paid more (I agree with him on that) and he got that at United.

This isn't confirmed but there were rumours that he was upset that he wasn't appreciated enough. He was very much second fiddle to Ramos and always got blamed for mistakes that weren't solely his. Madrid media never protected him, he was often the scapegoat even though the truth is they were a very complementary pair and Varane often cleaned up his mistakes. I remember at one Champions League press conference a journalist basically asked him a question implying whether he was any good without Ramos, it's not just people talking on the Internet. After all he had done for Madrid, he was upset with all of the criticism, especially after his mistakes against City. Based on what I know of Varane personally and of Madrid, I personally think those rumours are true.

It's probably also true what was reported about him wanting a new challenge. So lots of factors for him wanting to leave and Madrid didn't value him enough to convince him to stay so had to sell him. They would have happily kept him.

romufc

is this the reason florentino sold him to us ? he knew he was an injury-prone ? dissapointing signing so far but i guess our scouts didnt do the job.

Yep, Florentino has foresight, he knows that a player is going to get injured.

If you look at his record in the last 3 years, there are no suggestions he is injury prone.

Also, perez had no choice, Varane didn't want to sign a new deal and Real didn't want to lose him on a free.

OmarUnited4ever

He is not, he plays up to 40 games or more every season, misses few games a year.

But this year he missed 7 so far, it's a lot compared to his record in the past 5 years but hopefully he comes back this time and remains fit for the remainder of the season

A-man

Eh, Madrid didn't want to get rid of him no, they were willing to offer a new contract but they just weren't willing to offer him the kind of contract that he wanted. He thought he deserved to be paid more (I agree with him on that) and he got that at United.

This isn't confirmed but there were rumours that he was upset that he wasn't appreciated enough. He was very much second fiddle to Ramos and always got blamed for mistakes that weren't solely his. Madrid media never protected him, he was often the scapegoat even though the truth is they were a very complementary pair and Varane often cleaned up his mistakes. I remember at one Champions League press conference a journalist basically asked him a question implying whether he was any good without Ramos, it's not just people talking on the Internet. After all he had done for Madrid, he was upset with all of the criticism, especially after his mistakes against City. Based on what I know of Varane personally and of Madrid, I personally think those rumours are true.

It's probably also true what was reported about him wanting a new challenge. So lots of factors for him wanting to leave and Madrid didn't value him enough to convince him to stay so had to sell him. They would have happily kept him.
On top of that he probably felt extra unappreciated when Alaba arrived and got a salary around 400 k€ per week and they wouldn’t give him something similar. Then United offered that salary and I think the choice was easy.

Idxomer

Wasn't he supposed to be out for only a month?

From Carrick's words, it does seem he still has a way to go before coming back fully to training.

OTRightWinger07

an injury-prone and i insist, florentino knew this and thats why he sold him to us.

woodward signed him because of the big name tag and many mocked arsenal signing ben white. well at least he can play, he is 24.

i always take fit, decent players over big injury-prone names.

A-man

I heard rumours they believe he’ll be back for Brentford.

an injury-prone and i insist, florentino knew this and thats why he sold him to us.

woodward signed him because of the big name tag and many mocked arsenal signing ben white. well at least he can play, he is 24.

There is no way anybody could know he would be as much injured as he has been. He had a lot of injuries a few years ago but only minor the last years. I personally thought it was stupid to laugh at Arsenal/ White and even more at Madrid/Alaba. Alaba is a different type of player and a player that contributes much to the attack (already has 3 assists and 1 goal in the league and 1 goal in the CL.)

croadyman

I heard rumours they believe he’ll be back for Brentford.

There is no way anybody could know he would be as much injured as he has been. He had a lot of injuries a few years ago but only minor the last years. I personally thought it was stupid to laugh at Arsenal/ White and even more at Madrid/Alaba. Alaba is a different type of player and a player that contributes much to the attack (already has 3 assists and 1 goal in the league and 1 goal in the CL.)
Can't help thinking him seemingly being rushed back against Spurs led to him breaking down in the Atalanta game. Yes I do realise he picked up the initial injury for France in the Nations League final which is annoying

zenith

He takes the defence to the next level and God knows we have missed him. Let's at least try to handle this one injury properly and have him back soon

A-man

Can't help thinking him seemingly being rushed back against Spurs led to him breaking down in the Atalanta game. Yes I do realise he picked up the initial injury for France in the Nations League final which is annoying
I think the reason for his injuries could be his long time without training, from the Euros until he arrived at Manchester. His last match in the Euros was at the end of June and his first training with United was 18 of August.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

You're suggesting all Varane is is a big name which is mental. Saying you'd take White over him simply on the basis that White is younger and hasn't had any injuries is also mental. One is one of the best CB's in the world, the other is bang average

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nobody. Bring him on as a sub. We can afford to ease him back in.
Ole is gone. Reckless management of players' fitness is hopefully a closed chapter now. I expect Rangnick to be acutely aware given his attention to detail and requirement of intensity.

A-man

This is the way. With Maguire looking like he's regaining some form there's absolutely no point in rushing Varane back for Norwich.
Rangnick also said he doesn’t want to change a winning team. We have rather easy matches coming up now, and we don’t need Varane at the moment, better let him wait and be fully ready instead of taking risks.

croadyman

Rangnick also said he doesn’t want to change a winning team. We have rather easy matches coming up now, and we don’t need Varane at the moment, better let him wait and be fully ready instead of taking risks.
Yeah needs to be eased back in, rushing him back was the problem in the first place

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His injury issues are already causing a bit of concern. He needs to avoid any more serious layoffs this season. Almost forget he's our player at times.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His injury issues are already causing a bit of concern. He needs to avoid any more serious layoffs this season. Almost forget he's our player at times.
We always knew he had injury issues. Still worth it though for when he is fit.

Redlyn

Not to this extent though. He is on track to have his most injured season ever even if he says fit for the rest of the season. Missed matches in the past 5 seasons: 8-5-4-16-9. He is already on 14 in this one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not to this extent though. He is on track to have his most injured season ever even if he says fit for the rest of the season. Missed matches in the past 5 seasons: 8-5-4-16-9. He is already on 14 in this one.
Well he's been a bit unlucky with 2 muscle injuries in a row, i'd say it's not surprising considering how Ole/our medical staff seemed to take risks non stop.

The PL is a lot less controlled and more end to end also. I doubt Varane has ran this much in a long time.

GL21

Still can't believe he's ours....these stats are alarming however. Reminds me of the desperation I had for Hargreaves to be the player for utd we all knew he could be. I pray this turns out better

Redlyn

Well he's been a bit unlucky with 2 muscle injuries in a row, i'd say it's not surprising considering how Ole/our medical staff seemed to take risks non stop.

The PL is a lot less controlled and more end to end also. I doubt Varane has ran this much in a long time.
True. And wait till Rangnick get his hands on him with the high line. He is going to get proper stress tested once he is fully fit. Hope he can handle it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Be great if we could rely on him but we sadly can't and chopping and changing your CB's does nobody any good.

If he breaks down again soon after being back then I'd worry about his future here. We just can't afford to carry people on huge money with the way we are playing.

Let's hope he stays fit this time. As someone else said above.....it's easy to forget he even plays for us we've so little of him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Be great if we could rely on him but we sadly can't and chopping and changing your CB's does nobody any good.

If he breaks down again soon after being back then I'd worry about his future here. We just can't afford to carry people on huge money with the way we are playing.

Let's hope he stays fit this time. As someone else said above.....it's easy to forget he even plays for us we've so little of him.
Yeah people love to criticise the Maguire fee on here but I'd rather pay £80m for a CB who is available every week than £35m for one who hardly is, no matter how good they are. Good defences are built on established partnerships.

cyberman

Yeah people love to criticise the Maguire fee on here but I'd rather pay £80m for a CB who is available every week than £35m for one who hardly is, no matter how good they are. Good defences are built on established partnerships.
We rushed him back though, his second injury is on us

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
but when he’s not fit we’re forced to play the likes of lindelof and jones. it’s like having scarlett johanssen tied up in your garage but you still spend the whole of christmas trying to sleep with your cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.