Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagooDad

One huge mistake, but otherwise ok.

The problem is clearly systematic when any of him or the most expensive defender in the World or a guy who at least is the best Swedish national player all fails as any combination.

Lindelöf and Smalling looked better than any defensive combination we had this year.

sillwuka

He's playing at the level I expect Tuanzebe to be at, disappointing.

I just want to see something out of the ordinary from him but he's just a body in there.

Trequartistry

Very ordinary defender, lucky for him he’s won a few UCL’s in the past in his super team so he’ll get away with some shocking performances this season

AndySmith1990

Very ordinary defender, lucky for him he’s won a few UCL’s in the past in his super team so he’ll get away with some shocking performances this season
It's not like that Real Madrid team were carrying him, he was an important part of that super team. We can't keep rewriting history and calling every player shit when they've been at United for a while, despite them proving to be good players at previous clubs. The issue is clearly with our broken team. It's no coincidence that every signing we make gets exponstionally worse the longer they've been here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not like that Real Madrid team were carrying him, he was an important part of that super team. We can't keep rewriting history and calling every player shit when they've been at United for a while, despite them proving to be good players at previous clubs. The issue is clearly with our broken team. It's no coincidence that every signing we make gets exponstionally worse the longer they've been here.
It’s not just the broken team. Let’s start with staying fit long enough to get a few games in a row under his belt. I think we’ll see that, shock horror, that helps with performance levels.

Alternatively let’s stick with knee jerking frantically every time he comes back from his latest injury struggling to get to the pace of the game. Which will obviously be much more of an issue for a player who’s playing PL football for the first time this season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It’s not just the broken team. Let’s start with staying fit long enough to get a few games in a row under his belt. I think we’ll see that, shock horror, that helps with performance levels.

Alternatively let’s stick with knee jerking frantically every time he comes back from his latest injury struggling to get to the pace of the game. Which will obviously be much more of an issue for a player who’s playing PL football for the first time this season.
You should see his other partner in that Real Madrid defense. Varane's been an iron man in comparison this season.

I think this is down to club too, why do our players get so many injuries and turn into sick notes when they join us? Our medical team isn’t fit for purpose.

lsd

The Oracle

What a take? After that take I'd hate to know who you actually rate

And now I do since the vast majority of your posts are about how great Maguire is and bizarrely how Henderson is better than De Gea:lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Gets a free pass constantly around here. Just as guilty as Telles on their first goal and where was he on their second? Both him and Lindelof were nowhere near Nketiah for their second. Sure, the goal was called off and a penalty given instead but it's still shocking defending. Imagine if that was Maguire?

Lyng

Gets a free pass constantly around here. Just as guilty as Telles on their first goal and where was he on their second? Both him and Lindelof were nowhere near Nketiah for their second. Sure, the goal was called off and a penalty given instead but it's still shocking defending. Imagine if that was Maguire?
If it was Maguire you would come up with 840 excuses as to why it wasnt his fault....

ash_86

He's had a few good games but rest of it either Injured or not upto the mark. He might be the best of the lot but bar isn't that high as of now.

ekestubbe

I didn't pay much attention to the details surrounding his transfer, but how come Real Madrid didn't seem very bothered to keep him?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
They were, he chose not to renew.
Not sure about that. Think they offered him a contract way below Man Utd. If you are looking to make a profit on a player, I guess Real Madrids approach was by the text box.

Varane has played at the highest level for more than ten years. He used to be a very agile player. Almost a bit like van Dijk. But after ten years with professional football at the highest level, including a lot of muscle injuries, he is not anymore.

Like Lindelof and Maguire, his agility is beginning to look very average. And that is a big issue. It is a issue for him as a footballer that is used to rely on it and it is an issue for Man Utd that needed someone to complement Maguire/Lindelof. It is so telling that we did not see this coming.

It does not make him a poor player. Just not as good as he used to. And not a very good fit for a club with Lindelof and Maguire.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Indeed. He did a lot of the things Maguire gets slaughtered for on here. Even putting his hand up for offside rather than following his man when he lost Nketiah during the penalty incident. There was also this

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I mentioned my doubts about him when we signed him, but I was obviously in the minority. We need to get away from this sort of signing.

Varane needs a strong leader next to him to guide him through the game. A Ramos or Pepe. He can't be that guy, which I think it's what many expected. He's shaky and nervous as a defender I find and just doesn't have that authority about him.

HookedOnAPhelan

Indeed. He did a lot of the things Maguire gets slaughtered for on here. Even putting his hand up for offside rather than following his man when he lost Nketiah during the penalty incident. There was also this
A nutmeg that didn't result in anything other than Odegaard keeping the ball? Strange stick to beat him with.

But he's been a disappointment so far, and not just because of all the injuries.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I mentioned my doubts about him when we signed him, but I was obviously in the minority. We need to get away from this sort of signing.

Varane needs a strong leader next to him to guide him through the game. A Ramos or Pepe. He can't be that guy, which I think it's what many expected. He's shaky and nervous as a defender I find and just doesn't have that authority about him.
I wouldn't go that far. I think he's a very good defender on a very bad team. While Maguire may take most of the blame, I think the problems are a lot bigger than him. We have too many people in our squad playing their own game rather than sticking to a game plan, we have a keeper who can only make saves and we have no DM. We could have VVD in our defense and we'd still be conceding too many goals...

Amarsdd

A nutmeg that didn't result in anything other than Odegaard keeping the ball? Strange stick to beat him with.

But he's been a disappointment so far, and not just because of all the injuries.
tbf if it was Maguire, it would be shared a few number of times in his performance thread with people laughing at it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Much like Maguire, Lindelof and anyone else playing CB struggling due to the state on our midfield and full backs.

Classical Mechanic

I wasn’t really trying to beat him, just applying some of the OTT microanalysis that Maguire is now subject to. Varane has been disappointing but so has the whole team. He’ll still be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Lyng

Really? If anything I'm one of the only ones who gives accurate assessments. Go on...read my review of the Liverpool game muppet
Yeah you tried to excuse him and gave him a 5/10 rating, which means average, while in reality he was among our worst that match.
I won't fall to your kindergarten name-calling level.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah you tried to excuse him and gave him a 5/10 rating, which means average, while in reality he was among our worst that match.
I won't fall to your kindergarten name-calling level.
More lies. Here is the copy and paste of my assessment of the Liverpool game

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-2021-22-performances.464092/page-159

No defense tonight. Maguire was absolutely atrocious as was the rest of the team. The only time I will defend him is on the first goal. Yes, he should have gotten closer to Mane, but stepping up was the right thing to do. The problem there was that as soon as he steps up, Jones and Lindelof need to shift over and back up to offer cover. They both are caught standing still on the other end of the pitch marking nobody and both react too late to Diaz's run. Then Elanga and Dalot are caught flat footed as well as both Salah and TAA run past them. Maguire is taking a lot of stick for this goal, but it's the only one I don't think he's at fault for.

For their second goal, Maguire doesn't seem to be getting much stick but I actually disagree with that. He's too flat and as the left side of the 3, he needs to be wary of Salah's runs and be ready to support Dalot. Dalot will take most of the blame, but as great as that goal was (the pass and first tough were sublime), Maguire should have recognized it sooner.

For their 3rd goal, Maguire is giving too much space. I kind of understand. In training our players would take a touch. Then take another. then another. Mane shooting first time isn't something he would be used to seeing in training (lighten up, it's a joke)

For the last goal, either kick it up the field, or pass it back to De Gea to start it over. Why he thought it was a good idea to give a floated ball to Hannibal I have no idea.

Maguire today 2/10 and that's a generous score...

Red Rash

I actually thought he was ok today. Not amazing by any means but both Lindelof and Varane did about as well as can be expected considering Telles was terrible and they have no protection.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Maguire plays that game Varane played today, he would be crucified. Don't know what's wrong but he look shit.

Ollie Derbyshire

To be fair any centre back would look poor for us, our fullbacks are really atrocious and offer no help defensively and or midfield is like a sieve. You’d need prime Maldini, Nesta and Costacurta in there to stop the waves of attacks we let through.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He was fine tonight. Covering for Telles isn't fun at all. Made a few good blocks covering other players, showing his reading of the game. Got a 7 rating on whoscored, which is fine enough. Not great, definitely not terrible and definitely not worth the "If Maguire did that..." Bollocks being spouted as usual.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He was fine tonight. Covering for Telles isn't fun at all. Made a few good blocks covering other players, showing his reading of the game. Got a 7 rating on whoscored, which is fine enough. Not great, definitely not terrible and definitely not worth the "If Maguire did that..." Bollocks being spouted as usual.
+1

Pickle85

If Maguire plays that game Varane played today, he would be crucified. Don't know what's wrong but he look shit.
If Maguire played instead of varane today we'd have lost. Varane was ok, nothing more, but Maguire is horrible this season.

Abraxas

Hard to take anything out of today really with the way we gave them oceans of space. Reasonable enough but the whole team coughed up plenty of opportunities.

Not been a fantastic start to his United career. A little weak between the injuries and lack of authority in his performances.

Strats

Aye, agreed. About 3.6 roentgen it is

Last edited:
To be fair any centre back would look poor for us, our fullbacks are really atrocious and offer no help defensively and or midfield is like a sieve. You’d need prime Maldini, Nesta and Costacurta in there to stop the waves of attacks we let through.
Agreed.

Playing CB for United this season must be an absolute nightmare. Hardly surprised Varane has called a sicky so often, probably has PTSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.