Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersonson

He gets a pass this season, because its his first year in the prem. But he is a world cup winners, multiple CL titles and was a rock in Spain. Shouldn't really need one, but he also plays for the worst united side in decades.

Next season he really needs to be better. Alot

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is a load of nonsense, and it’s funny seeing people using any bad game Varane has to try and defend Maguire when Maguire has been much worse. Varane playing poorly doesn’t vindicate Maguire who’s been shocking all season.
Where in my post was I defending Maguire?
Varane has been a major disappointment this season, there's no getting away from it, yet has managed to escape the level of vitriol, bile and pathetic jibes from fans because he is Varane.

Bwuk

I like Varane, but none of our CBs show any sort of leadership. We badly need a leader at the back.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I like Varane, but none of our CBs show any sort of leadership. We badly need a leader at the back.
Maguire is a leader at the back. If he was at his best both Varane and Lindelof would look much better. Obviously he’s been nowhere near his best for ages.

Although it’s hard to think of any CBs anywhere who wouldn’t struggle with the sort of “protection” provided by our midfield/fullbacks.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
First, these are past achievements, now we're dealing with a 29 years old player who's most probably going to decline rather than improve from here.

Second, he didn't achieve these alone. He was playing in a team full of Galacticos, and more importantly, as said above, he had a top class leader playing alongside him in Ramos.

Varane is a good defender but he has been doing these kind of mistakes his entire career. He was lucky to have Ramos playing with him, full stop. He needs someone to continuously school him to avoid such concentration issues.

Varane was on a decline ever since this happened. This is why RM did not want to pay him what he wanted and sold him.

The other thing is Varane need a proper leader to play alongside him. Everytime Militao and Varane had to partner when Ramos was injured our defense was shaky.

Varane was a beast from the age 19-26. After this he started to decline. Very weird as defender usually play at high level even at 35-36. I think a lot of his game was based on his pace. He was super fast. Maybe not anymore.

I hope he finds better form next season. However I am a little big worried if he can play ETH football. He likes to play the ball from the back and Varane is not very good with his feet. You need a better footballer-defender next to him.

Ekeke

Ya know... For years people were on here mentioning him as the best, or among the best CBs in the world. But I watched him for Madrid and he regularly made mistakes with his defending. He was young and fast and showed an ability to play a long pass out of the back. But over the years he had some injuries as well as the inconsistancy and unreliability. My concern before we signed him was that I knew he made plenty of mistakes but I honestly didnt expect him to be as bad as he has been this season between the mistakes. I thought he would be our best CB with the occasional costly mistake. But instead he's been average (and none of our CBs have been any good) and made mistakes that would have seen Chris Smalling effigies burned by caf posters. His concentration is appalling and the amount of times he makes awkward contact with a clearance putting us at risk is poor.

I hope he does better next season but we need to be prepared for him not being good enough for the top teams anymore. Because he could do better than this season and I fully expect that he will, but still not be more than a 7/10 with need for improvement and he still might not be available for long periods with his fitness even if hes back to his best.

Ibi Dreams

They showed a stat at the start of the game yesterday which said we'd conceded 0.9 goals per game with him and 2 without him. He hasn't been particularly great but he's the least useless (when fit)

NoPace

They showed a stat at the start of the game yesterday which said we'd conceded 0.9 goals per game with him and 2 without him. He hasn't been particularly great but he's the least useless (when fit)
No question. The backline next season is him, 2 new signings and whoever Ten Hag likes best from the current squad, I think, which I'm too mad to guess who that is.

OL29

Where in my post was I defending Maguire?
Varane has been a major disappointment this season, there's no getting away from it, yet has managed to escape the level of vitriol, bile and pathetic jibes from fans because he is Varane.
That’s the point, it’s a stupid comparison. The reason Maguire receives more vitriol is because he’s been much worse. Maguire’s made costly errors game after game, Varane hasn’t. You also said Varane has been awful in every match he’s played which I’m sure you know is nonsense.

A-man

He wasn’t good yesterday but it must be hopeless to play defender in a team with our midfield. They cannot play their way out and we had wave after wave of attack, they don’t help in defence, and they don’t offer anything going forward. Again he was poor but I don’t see how he could be successful in a match like this.

When people throw around stats like this they need to be a bit careful. Are the stats like that because he didn’t play? Or because he has been injured and missed most big games? He didn’t play 2x Liverpool or 2x City as example. Or another reason?
It’s easy to make connections but harder to verify them statistically. “We signed Varane and had our worst season in ages”, etc.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maguire is a leader at the back. If he was at his best both Varane and Lindelof would look much better. Obviously he’s been nowhere near his best for ages.
He hasn't shown any real leadership skills in terms of commanding the backline throughout his entire career here — even during his best spell when he was our best defender by some margin. Our communication at the back had been non-existent, we've been constantly failing to play an offside trap and the less said about our defensive shape in transition, the better.

Varane had been surprisingly bad at that though — of course he was the following defender in his partnership with Ramos but he is very much the central piece in France's more than decent backline.

CloneMC16

Varane was on a decline ever since this happened. This is why RM did not want to pay him what he wanted and sold him.

The other thing is Varane need a proper leader to play alongside him. Everytime Militao and Varane had to partner when Ramos was injured our defense was shaky.

Varane was a beast from the age 19-26. After this he started to decline. Very weird as defender usually play at high level even at 35-36. I think a lot of his game was based on his pace. He was super fast. Maybe not anymore.

I hope he finds better form next season. However I am a little big worried if he can play ETH football. He likes to play the ball from the back and Varane is not very good with his feet. You need a better footballer-defender next to him.
I still think he's very fast. He's not getting beaten for pace. The main issues with him have been mistakes like in the video. Taking too long on the ball and getting dispossessed. Playing a terrible pass that gets intercepted. Misjudging a ball in the air that he should easily deal with. It's the unforced errors. Concentration issues. These are the kind of things I didn't think we'd see much at all from him. We see it too often. It's very worrying.

I hadn't watched Madrid at all in recent years. I wasn't sure how good he was right now, but our fans were very happy when we were signing him. I was expecting way better than what we have.

As much as people hate Maguire, it's his job to take the ball forward and play it through the lines. He's been awful this season and not reliable. We need him to play better next season to do that job. If he can do that, we won't need Varane to do it.

He wasn’t good yesterday but it must be hopeless to play defender in a team with our midfield. They cannot play their way out and we had wave after wave of attack, they don’t help in defence, and they don’t offer anything going forward. Again he was poor but I don’t see how he could be successful in a match like this.

When people throw around stats like this they need to be a bit careful. Are the stats like that because he didn’t play? Or because he has been injured and missed most big games? He didn’t play 2x Liverpool or 2x City as example. Or another reason?
It’s easy to make connections but harder to verify them statistically. “We signed Varane and had our worst season in ages”, etc.
The problem I have with the first paragraph is people only use that excuse for the players that they like. If Maguire plays and does what Varane did yesterday, nobody gives any excuses for him. Every player needs to be held to the same standard.

Varane missed almost every big game that we got thrashed in. I highly doubt it makes much difference if he's there. I do think that stats are important, but the fact that he missed almost all of our big games, it's hard for me to take much from them. He played in far more of the 'easier' games.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Ya know... For years people were on here mentioning him as the best, or among the best CBs in the world. But I watched him for Madrid and he regularly made mistakes with his defending. He was young and fast and showed an ability to play a long pass out of the back. But over the years he had some injuries as well as the inconsistancy and unreliability. My concern before we signed him was that I knew he made plenty of mistakes but I honestly didnt expect him to be as bad as he has been this season between the mistakes. I thought he would be our best CB with the occasional costly mistake. But instead he's been average (and none of our CBs have been any good) and made mistakes that would have seen Chris Smalling effigies burned by caf posters. His concentration is appalling and the amount of times he makes awkward contact with a clearance putting us at risk is poor.

I hope he does better next season but we need to be prepared for him not being good enough for the top teams anymore. Because he could do better than this season and I fully expect that he will, but still not be more than a 7/10 with need for improvement and he still might not be available for long periods with his fitness even if hes back to his best.
Somewhat agree with you. I dont think its about decline. He has had mistakes in him his whole career, can sometime be bullied. Mentally, technically he usually does everything right, he is obviously a quality defender, but I always thought a little overhyped in terms of one of the best, Ramos bailed him out of trouble very often. The fanfare when he arrived here was OTT I thought, as good as the suit was.

On the other side of the coin, after watchign his documentary on netflix, I actually expected a fair amount more from him. He does have leadership in him, leading by example and the way he trains. He is a top defender and I disagree with people saying about him declining. Its not like he is gettign beaten for pace or the physical side of the game, its more the odd lapse. But personally think on here often Ramos has been very under rated, Varane the other way.

There sinply hasnt been a good centre back partnership since Rio and Vidic, we have had Bruce and Pallister and JOhnsen Stam, but nothing for several years and I dont see a partnership between any of the current lot. I think we need a physical beast like player signed, Bailly would have been the best partner if he could have stayed fit and not made monumental errors in his appearances or over zealous challenges. Romero would hav ebeen perfect, actually wanted him when we did sign Varane.

I am not sure Terrier is the right partner for what we have. I think the perfect player alongside Varane would be Gvardiol for his ability to run with the ball and phsyicality but he would be too expensive this summer for our rebuild

A-man

The problem I have with the first paragraph is people only use that excuse for the players that they like. If Maguire plays and does what Varane did yesterday, nobody gives any excuses for him. Every player needs to be held to the same standard.

Varane missed almost every big game that we got thrashed in. I highly doubt it makes much difference if he's there. I do think that stats are important, but the fact that he missed almost all of our big games, it's hard for me to take much from them. He played in far more of the 'easier' games.
I kind of agree. The team perform at a very low level atm but that should not be an excuse for individual players’ performances. They are part of the team and in a way it is even worse for a player like Varane who was brought in to improve the defence but we ended up with a much worse result than last year.

Yes Varane has missed most big games and therefore his stats look decent.

Ekeke

Somewhat agree with you. I dont think its about decline. He has had mistakes in him his whole career, can sometime be bullied. Mentally, technically he usually does everything right, he is obviously a quality defender, but I always thought a little overhyped in terms of one of the best, Ramos bailed him out of trouble very often. The fanfare when he arrived here was OTT I thought, as good as the suit was.

On the other side of the coin, after watchign his documentary on netflix, I actually expected a fair amount more from him. He does have leadership in him, leading by example and the way he trains. He is a top defender and I disagree with people saying about him declining. Its not like he is gettign beaten for pace or the physical side of the game, its more the odd lapse. But personally think on here often Ramos has been very under rated, Varane the other way.

There sinply hasnt been a good centre back partnership since Rio and Vidic, we have had Bruce and Pallister and JOhnsen Stam, but nothing for several years and I dont see a partnership between any of the current lot. I think we need a physical beast like player signed, Bailly would have been the best partner if he could have stayed fit and not made monumental errors in his appearances or over zealous challenges. Romero would hav ebeen perfect, actually wanted him when we did sign Varane.

I am not sure Terrier is the right partner for what we have. I think the perfect player alongside Varane would be Gvardiol for his ability to run with the ball and phsyicality but he would be too expensive this summer for our rebuild
Gvardiol has a lot of potential for sure with his age, but he too is making plenty of mistakes defensively. Far more acceptable for a youngster but I dont think having 2 defenders making individual errors will fix our defensive problems

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah, I always thought he was good, not great but had the ability to be great. I’m not that surprised by his performances so far.

Blood Mage

I'm willing to give him a pass until I've seen him under Ten Hag but my word he was one of the worst players on the pitch against Brighton.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I couldn't remember who I thought was overrated by a lot of people a few years ago, it's Varane. For years people have overrated him, giving him a bunch of qualities that he didn't have but somehow when he finally showed something in 2018, a lot of people couldn't see it.
Varane is a very good player but he has flaws that can be easily exposed under the right circumstances, that's what most french followers probably saw with France up until 2016-2018 and it disappeared around the time Kanté was introduced and the fullbacks weren't completely useless. The same is kind of true for Real Madrid where both Varane and Ramos couldn't really handle being left exposed, some defenders can deal with this situation but I don't think that there is one at the minute, we are talking about prime Ferdinand/Nesta/Thuram/Piqué/Chiellini, those players have shown the rare ability to defend in acres of space.

Varane is a lot better in a more compact system because one of his flaws is that he tend to overreact and since he isn't a hammer, his overreactions are more about anticipating too obviously than clattering the opponent, the latter is bad but it at least stops the action even if it will likely cost you cards, penalties or expulsions.

Sir Marcus

Varane has been utter shite - must be the most overrated defender of the last 15 years.

RuudTom83

When everyone is playing terribly it makes individual assessment impossible tbh.

You can make the excuse for the back 4, that if the FB's had hard working forwards in front of them and the CM's had a hard working DM in front of them the defence might actually stand a chance of functioning.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Overall rating of his debut season: 4/10. Had a few good games, but far more bad ones as well as being injured for extended periods.

I always like to give players a 2nd season to play before writing them off, but left much to be desired so far.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Varane has been utter shite - must be the most overrated defender of the last 15 years.
Wasn't this the same opinion on Vidic for his first 6 months at United?
Varane has been on a downward trajectory since his last season at Madrid because both United and Madrid (2021 Zidane version) teams were on a downward spiral. Today both defending and attacking are a team effort. A better set of defenders and midfield will help his performance improve.

Full-backs:
United 2022: not even Championship standard
Madrid 2021: Marcelo seemed to have put on so much weight (and still seems to be carrying it), Carvajal had major fitness issues, Gutierrez was green, Vazquez was still learning his new position, Varane also battled injury issues but was average when he started

Center-backs:
United 2022: Maguire is badly out of form, Lindelof does not get a consistent run of games to build form
Madrid 2021: Ramos was injured for most of the second half of the season, Militao was green, Nacho performed excellently but lacked Ramos' presence and organization skills

Midfield:
United 2022: Fred is decent at best but should not start against the top-8 teams, McTominay has regressed badly, Vidic is exhausted after 45 minutes
Madrid 2021: Modric and Kroos showed their age ... Modric was especially nothing close to this season, Casemiro inexplicably became a foul machine, Valverde was a revelation but had to play right back and right wing for most of the season

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hard to judge him too much. Likes of Rio Terry and even VVD would struggle with this band of delinquents around them.

Varane is a good player that simply came to us at a very poor time for the club. Sometimes these things are just not meant to be.

phelans shorts

Hard to judge him too much. Likes of Rio Terry and even VVD would struggle with this band of delinquents around them.

Varane is a good player that simply came to us at a very poor time for the club. Sometimes these things are just not meant to be.
Or he just ain’t all that, which seems far more likely looking at the evidence.

A-man

True, but at the same time it is reasonable to have the expectation that the highest paid defender in the PL would bring some kind of improvement.

TOKUGAWA-X

Theres a reason Florentino sold him to us, he knew his world-class days were gone.

That old man did it again, he also sold Ramos to PSG and the french team thought it was getting the best defender in the world.

Back to Varane, he has been an injury-prone, hasnt been solid next to any partner combination, if a great offer comes in the summer or if he wants to leave then the club, Ten Hag should sell him.

marktan

He's clearly a very good defender, starter for Real and France, but people expect defenders to be able to cover every inch of grass and mark about 5 players when the standard of attackers in the PL has never been higher. There's a reason why Liverpool always play Fabinho as a DM, you need the cover of the extra man

RepardReece

He's clearly a very good defender, starter for Real and France, but people expect defenders to be able to cover every inch of grass and mark about 5 players when the standard of attackers in the PL has never been higher. There's a reason why Liverpool always play Fabinho as a DM, you need the cover of the extra man
Agree. Don't understand some comments in this thread. He's been pretty good when he's played, a few mistakes but we're definitely more solid at the back when he starts, as per the stats. In a season when the whole team is clearly dysfunctional, he's done well. The only issue I have is how many injuries he picks up.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Couldn't agree more. I find it very hard to judge how good our defenders actually are given the lack of cover the midfield and wing backs provide.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reading how high our wage bill jumped year-on-year - we must be paying him an absolute fortune. Desperately need him to come good this upcoming season, he HAS to be a regular starter given his cost and ability.

Strange early prediction: if Varane players 30+ prem matches next season, we will finish in the top 4.

united for life

He’a a very good player. Showed that at madrid and france. He’s 29 so should have 2/more years at top level in him; that is in case he remains fit which seems to be the main issue with him

We need an rvn

I know the premier league is very different to la liga and I don't think he's had a bad season, but I have to admit I was expecting a bit more leadership from him given his experience and reputation playing for Real and France. Boss games a bit more.

Fully appreciate his first season has been a complete shambles from a coaching perspective so here's to hoping under some proper guidance from ETH we get to see a world class CB next season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was fine when he played, just not fit enough regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.