Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

It for sure took at least one deflection. Would need to see a replay again though to see the relative positions and why Varane was behind the man who ended up scoring.
I did. Varane is on the wrong side of his man.
I think he is the kind of relaxed defender who waits until the right moment to step in front and make a tackle or block, and the deflection caught him off guard.

Dve

It definitely took a deflection which changed the direction. Of course you get in front of your man but can't account for deflections like that.
Still, when you get a ball into the box like that, and there is duel in front of you, you much expect the ball the end up anywhere. He will not be happy with himself in that situation.

shoegazing

Thought overall he was pretty good when he came on. Perhaps could have done better for their goal but I'd find it hard to blame him seeing as it took a hefty deflection.

DiabloMadridista

Supports
Real Madrid and United
As a lifelong Madrid fan, I've been watching Rapha since he was a boy just arrived from Lens.
His first season was already his breaktrough. What a defender he could be, I used to think, with all these physical capabilities and passing...
The honeymoon lasted until circa 2018. Then the decadence started.

I'll just say you are not in for a treat with this guy. He never grew the balls a proper leading central defender needs, and he tends to perform even worse after making mistakes.

I'm sure he is an improvement over Lindelof, but his lack of tenacity matches the Swede's

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
As a lifelong Madrid fan, I've been watching Rapha since he was a boy just arrived from Lens.
His first season was already his breaktrough. What a defender he could be, I used to think, with all these physical capabilities and passing...

I'll just say you are not in for a treat with this guy. He never grew the balls a proper leading central defender needs, and he tends to perform even worse after making mistakes.

I'm sure he is an improvement over Lindelof, but his lack of tenacity matches the Swede's
For gods sake

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How does a post like that get a like?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I just reviewed a load of old Madrid posts about him and his biggest criticism is that he was the least physical out of his colleagues at real Madrid
Next to Ramos and behind Casemiro. How physical did he need to be?

It's obvious that isn't his greatest asset but it's not one we need either. McTominay, Bissaka, Maguire and Shaw are all physical. Also, Varane has already shown he isn't going to be pushed around easily in this league.

What we need is his assuredness, his calm, his pace and his winning attitude. All of which he's starting to show already.

spiriticon

Varane seems to win quite a fair few key headers for us so I think he's sufficiently physical.

He came into a 10-man team on Tuesday and actually all three defenders (Maguire, Varane and Lindelof) did really well in the face of a constant onslaught and deserved a point for their performance. Then of course Lingard had to go feck everything up, the prick.

Raven

This got a like? Lord, give me strength.

shoegazing

Total utter bobbins. So even if this was true, his so-called "honeymoon" was only a 9 year period in which the club you apparently support won 4 champions league titles on top of several league wins in which he was an important first team starter at centre back, sounds dreadful. What a terrible centre-half we've signed? :nervous:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Strange how you won so much (in European only) with such a mediocre CB. I don't think Varane is this Rio incarnate that some want him to he. He's never been at the Vidic-Rio level and never will be. But he's still really good and at the very least as good as Maguire (imo better and has definitely been better this season so far), and miles better than Lindelof. You praise the latter's 'tenacity' when he refuses to defend at every opportunity, that's not tenacity that's conservatism.

CG1010

Forget his time in Real Madrid, just in the few games Varane has played for United, he has shown more "tenacity" than Lindelof has shown in all his games for United put together.

Varun

Staff
Honeymoon that spanned 8yrs and some 200 games for Real. Some love affair that

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

You Madrid fans booed Ronaldo and Benzema, who are among your best players ever. So, thanks for input but your opinion about players is irelevant

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Varane and Slab-Head are going to form an amazing partnership for us, they will be immense together.

tomaldinho1

Varane and Slab-Head are going to form an amazing partnership for us, they will be immense together.
Vaguire?
VaSlab?
Harane?
Magael?
Slab Francois?

I just looked up Varane's nickname and it's genuinely 'Champions League Varane', what a boss.

tomaldinho1

This has potential to compete with the Jamaican delegation post for it's unbelievability. The use of decadence (when I assume decline was meant) makes it extra funny.

Blood Mage

I didn't expect him to be so dominant in the air. Teams aren't beating us via longball with him and Maguire back there. He's a bit rusty with his positioning at the moment but it's early in the season and he's only played 3 games for us.

Lost bear

I didn't expect him to be so dominant in the air. Teams aren't beating us via longball with him and Maguire back there. He's a bit rusty with his positioning at the moment but it's early in the season and he's only played 3 games for us.
I think he is a real class player. Give him a bit of time to work with the other defenders and the midfield, and he’ll be immense.
Cant wait to see his honeymoon.
Oh dear, I’ve phrased this badly.

AR87

So it wasn't until you stopped winning CL after CL that you decided he was actually not that good. This is such a pathetic wind up lost. Get a life.

Teja

:lol: Bitter much?

He never grew the balls to be a leader, lacks tenacity but won 3 CLs in a row.

Players who decline generally decline physically and are sharp well into their 30s. If your claim is that he was never enough of a leader, the CL wins are evidence that he is. If your claim is that he lost his leadership somehow after the CLs, that's just bogus. Show me one other player that happened to.

tenpoless

Vincius Jr however is the next Ronaldo.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Vaguire?
VaSlab?
Harane?
Magael?
Slab Francois?

I just looked up Varane's nickname and it's genuinely 'Champions League Varane', what a boss.
I think we should forget the portmanteau’s of Varane and Maguire and go for an anagram instead:

Rare Emu Vagina

West Ham 1:2 Man Utd

Kag

He gets through an awful lot of good work. Unlucky for the goal. His midfielders decided to piss around and stand as far away from their midfield position as possible.

A-man

Another ok to good, but not great match. He’s been a bit off in his positioning in the box lately, happened a few times today and cost us a goal against Young Boys. Could be that he’s new in the team and hopefully it’ll improve. Can’t be easy too partner Maguire at the moment, who is shaky to say the least.6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.