Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatTails

He actually makes Maguire and Lindelof better. Both have looked better paired with him than paired with each other.

Him and Cavani just ooze class.

OmarUnited4ever

did we concede 11 goals in his absence? 4 vs Leicester + 2 vs Atlanta + 5 vs Liverpool? do I have right?

not saying his absence is the sole reason we are leaky at the back but we really missed him.

zenith

Hours absence was felt so badly. Welcome back champ and don't be injured ever again

Andersons Dietician

The guy just oozes class, what else is there really to say. He’s everything you’d want an 80 million pound defender to be but at a bargain 34 mil.

A-man

Good game. Think he suits in a 3 CB formation as the central piece, where he doesn’t need to push so much forward but instead can focus on covering space, clearing balls in the box, and players running in behind.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It just looked too easy for him. When a defender plays well it's weird he kind of dissapears on the screen.

It's the mistakes that pops out as sharp and sticks in your mind. Nothing from him.

Great stuff.

Had one little mix up with Maguire but otherwise invisible, the best thing for a defender.

Andersons Dietician

Good game. Think he suits in a 3 CB formation as the central piece, where he doesn’t need to push so much forward but instead can focus on covering space, clearing balls in the box, and players running in behind.
It’s weird though that yesterday he did quite a lot of stepping out of the centre. There were a few times we did get caught out and he was out of position but only because he went to engage. I would have expected him to be more of a sweeper but then all 3 of the CB’s seemed to be playing quite aggressively going after the ball straight away which I must admit I quite liked even if a couple of times it caused small issues.

However that’s the benefit of 3 CB‘s, should always be two to cover you. He is an absolute class act though and I wouldn’t mind seeing this 3 at the back more often. Lindelof has been great so far, Maybe Harry can find some sort of form again. Jones, Bailly, Matic, Shaw as back up.

padzilla

Hipster
I thought he looked a bit lightweight for the PL, he also looked especially dodgy in the game at home to Villareal but was solid enough against a bad Spurs side when we sat back. The jury's still very much out for me but the game against City will be a great indication of what he's made of.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought he looked a bit lightweight for the PL, he also looked especially dodgy in the game at home to Villareal but was solid enough against a bad Spurs side when we sat back. The jury's still very much out for me but the game against City will be a great indication of what he's made of.
Amazed by that assessment. At a stretch he looked a little bit error-prone (but that's the case for most defenders in our system) but he's looked like a physical beast since arriving here. Strong, dominant in the air, fast, and even in that Villareal game you reference he played really well bar one mistake that could have cost us.

A-man

It’s weird though that yesterday he did quite a lot of stepping out of the centre. There were a few times we did get caught out and he was out of position but only because he went to engage. I would have expected him to be more of a sweeper but then all 3 of the CB’s seemed to be playing quite aggressively going after the ball straight away which I must admit I quite liked even if a couple of times it caused small issues.

However that’s the benefit of 3 CB‘s, should always be two to cover you. He is an absolute class act though and I wouldn’t mind seeing this 3 at the back more often. Lindelof has been great so far, Maybe Harry can find some sort of form again. Jones, Bailly, Matic, Shaw as back up.
Imo, stepping up is not his strength. When he is in the centre, it is ok I guess,, but both him and Maguire tend to push too far out on the flanks. When that happens they are too easily overplayed and then there is a big gap behind. It has not been a big problem with Varane, maybe because he hasn’t really played any matches for us against bigger teams, but it has been a big problem with Maguire. We have three CBs with different strengths and weaknesses. Playing 3 at the back brings out the best of them and they get covered for their weaknesses. The price is paid somewhere else, that we don’t have players enough in midfield or don’t have any wingers. However I think this worked well and would like us to continue like this.

Solid defence with five capable defenders.
Hard working midfield.
Extreme talent up front.

Since we don’t seem to have a plan or strategy anyway, have been leaking goals, and having difficulties scoring ourselves, why not play like this for some time?

I prefer Varane in the centre of the three CBs and not Maguire.

Max_United

Ole rushed him back to save his ass. No way he should have played 2 matches a week after injury. This is on Ole.

ti vu

Just returned from injury. Playing whole game when not needed according to result, then expected to start CL mid week too. :houllier:

Another Ole mess up. If he planned for Cavani to only play on second half against Atalanta like this, should have taken Varane off when we sealed the game against Spurs at 2-0. Just gave Cavani full 90 back then.

Last edited:

Idxomer

The players' welfare is never in the manager's mind, unfortunately.

G-MUFC

He looks great when he's on the pitch with Maguire.
Really hope that injury is nothing serious.

I'm starting to think that Madrid were aware that he was starting to become injury prone which is why they were willing to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.