Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Didn't take long for us to drag him to our level.

A 4 time CL winner and a WC winning CB playing like Paddy McNair, this club is cursed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The biggest worry is his complete unwillingness or ability to pass from the back. He just passes the buck to Maguire every time.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s hard to deny he looks a complete donkey. I’m wondering when it’s going to end the trend of apparently world class players coming here and looking shite. It’s obviously possible he turns out a brilliant player for us.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He'll be fine. Still adapting to new league/country and now a change in manager and a team only back from a covid outbreak. No pre season was already an issue and injuries have made it a stop start season. First game back against a buoyed Newcastle in as hostile a stadium as he'll be in all season. Yes he was ropey but it was hardly a shock in the circumstances

vxlencia

Some incredibly embarrassing and reactionary posts. The guy hasn’t played in months, comes back to a team that’s off form, a new manager, has no match fitness himself and first game back from injury. A bit of rust is understandable.

Give him a run of games, and the same posters will be frothing at the mouth again.

lex talionis

Not brilliant today, but after the unfortunate dispossession he was the better of the two CBs, which I realize isn’t saying much. But still.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
First game back and was poor. Maye needs a couple more games to get up to speed.

Jaykespeare88

Thought 2nd half he took a bit more responsibility re passing, took his time to pick out the right pass, used he left foot also a few times. Horrible mistake aside thought he was good.

G-MUFC

Madrid knew what they were doing when they sold him to us. He's been dreadful.

KeanoMagicHat

Still a good player but a defensive midfielder/ball winner would help us concede less than having Varane. A proper world-class shielder like Fabinho gives the defence far less to do. Varane is used to playing with Casemiro and Kanté, not Fred or McTominay.

MattofManchester

Why was he playing?

Had a long term injury and then thrown back in.

Surely Bailly would have been a better option?

Ekeke

I will give him this one match because its the first back from injury... However

The reason I never rated Varane as highly as a lot of posters on here is because he would make plenty of mistakes and individual errors at Madrid. Plenty of times they'd get away with it, sometimes he'd make up for it himself with his pace. But the mistakes were there

He made a lot of mistakes against Newcastle. He cant do that again

Coops73

Wasn’t great today and really sloppy for the goal but it’s his first game back after a long layoff so I’ll give him a pass.

A-man

Pne of the worst games I’ve seen him play. Mistakes, poor positioning and poor defending in general. There is no chemistry at all between him and Maguire. Even if it’s never been a particular strength of his, I thought he completely lacked initiative with the ball.

Why was he playing?

He has to be “thrown back in” at some point. If he hadn’t played yesterday, the time for comeback would have been even longer.
We played a team that shared last position in the PL table. There are not easier games than this to come back to.

gazbradley

Why was he playing?

I don't think he would've played if Lindelof hadn't caught Covid or Bailly was available, seemed like he was rushed in because of that.

I'd be interested to see him play alongside Lindelof for a run of games and see if there's a potential partnership there

MattofManchester

He has to be “thrown back in” at some point. If he hadn’t played yesterday, the time for comeback would have been even longer.
We played a team that shared last position in the PL table. There are not easier games than this to come back to.
Except, not quite. He's been out for a while, has no match fitness, and with the whole Covid saga, training would have been at a minimum for him.
Phil Jones would have been a better option.

Newstyle

Cost us the game. Some unforgivable mistakes at this level. Do not get people defending this kind of performance?

Mike Smalling

It wasn't pretty yesterday, but I will give him a pass on account of him being out for so long prior to this game. We know he is class, so I'm sure he will improve when he is match fit.

A-man

Except, not quite. He's been out for a while, has no match fitness, and with the whole Covid saga, training would have been at a minimum for him.
Phil Jones would have been a better option.
He has to be back at some point and they thought he was fully fit so why not now? Was on paper an easy game. He doesn’t get match fitness without playing. And how on earth would Phil Jones be the man if you are looking for match fitness? Can’t even remember when it was the last time he played, but it sure was long time ago.

I will give him this one match because its the first back from injury... However

The reason I never rated Varane as highly as a lot of posters on here is because he would make plenty of mistakes and individual errors at Madrid. Plenty of times they'd get away with it, sometimes he'd make up for it himself with his pace. But the mistakes were there

He made a lot of mistakes against Newcastle. He cant do that again
It was his only really bad match for us so I shouldn’t draw any bigger conclusions from just one game, but my biggest concern was always that I am worried he is on the wrong side of his peak and has his best years behind him. And then of course it is always a bit of a chance if a good defender will make it in the PL or not.

Real Name

Some incredibly embarrassing and reactionary posts. The guy hasn’t played in months, comes back to a team that’s off form, a new manager, has no match fitness himself and first game back from injury. A bit of rust is understandable.

Give him a run of games, and the same posters will be frothing at the mouth again.
Go out with that sense.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Before he was injured, and when he had a run of games, he was still making a big mistake each game. Back then it was blamed on the pace of the league, and now its his injury. What will the next excuse be?

Real Name

Before he was injured, and when he had a run of games, he was still making a big mistake each game. Back then it was blamed on the pace of the league, and now its his injury. What will the next excuse be?
Pace of the game plus the injury.

Gottabekiddingme

At Madrid he was playing behind
Casemeiro
Modric - Kroos

At United it's
McTominay - Fred

No wonder he looked shell shocked.
Kind of amazing ah? Every Madrid player seems to be exposed when he leaves. Ramos is also playing like shit at PSG

Sylar

His mistakes have lead to goals and really great chances too unfortunately

MNG2646

Supports
Real Madrid
This was his first game after injury but that being said Varane has lost form since the world cup. that's why Madrid fans were completely OK with him leaving. if he was the world class CB he once used to be, Madrid would not let him go that easily. I like the guy and hope he finds form but he has not been good enough for 3 years now.
having two out of form center backs who are so shaky on the ball makes things way harder for United in terms of controlling the game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm worried we've bought a player with his best years behind him. Has been a disappointing signing so far imo.
He’s been pretty good before the injury, this game was obviously horrible. If you’re talking about his performances though, it’s certainly a weird take after one bad (really bad) game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He’s been pretty good before the injury, this game was obviously horrible. If you’re talking about his performances though, it’s certainly a weird take after one bad (really bad) game.
I think he’s looked pretty good but been more style than substance his entire time here. His time in the team certainly hasn’t brought about defensive stability or resilience. The kind of mistakes he was making yesterday - careless, stupid - are the same ones he’s been making all season, IMO. There were just more of them yesterday. Certainly fits the profile of someone who’s enjoying a comfortable paycheck coasting through games.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Player in rusty performance after months out shocker.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think he’s looked pretty good but been more style than substance his entire time here. His time in the team certainly hasn’t brought about defensive stability or resilience. The kind of mistakes he was making yesterday - careless, stupid - are the same ones he’s been making all season, IMO. There were just more of them yesterday. Certainly fits the profile of someone who’s enjoying a comfortable paycheck coasting through games.
I’d say that he’s been good but not outstanding individually while failing to significantly improve our defense. The important thing is not to prolongate this period of grace for a player that gets back from an injury etc., but so far I don’t think that we’ve seen enough to sign him off as a failed transfer. The next few weeks would be crucial though, he needs to keep himself fit & really up his game because what we’ve seen yesterday was almost inexcusable even though here I am, making excuses for him.

Frank Grimes

I don't think he's played all that great, hardly a weird take. For a player of his stature I've been disappointed. I accept he's had 2 injuries and he needs to get up to speed again but he has looked nothing like the player I saw play for France in 2018 World Cup for example. Also these regular injuries are a worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.