Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
how much did they offer him?
No idea, but Man Utd undoubtedly offered him more. I just don't buy the narrative Real Madrid knew what they were doing when they wanted him to stay.

I'm not sure what his injury record was like prior to joining Man Utd but I'm pretty sure a medical check will include a review of the injury record - either this is a new injury proneness or our medical team are morons.

OmarUnited4ever

It’s not official. But given the rumours on Twitter a couple of hours ago, followed by him not making the squad at all, coupled with his history, I think we can be fairly sure what’s happened.
Damn, this is unfortunate, Varane being unreliable and injury prone is the last thing we need

bringbackbebe

It’s not official. But given the rumours on Twitter a couple of hours ago, followed by him not making the squad at all, coupled with his history, I think we can be fairly sure what’s happened.
Could be that it's just a knock in training & ETH didn't want to risk him given everyone is building up their fitness?

stu_1992

Disappointing but hopefully nothing serious and he can get back for more of pre season. Otherwise he's in the backfoot for the early part of the season. It really shows why we need another centre back though.

CloneMC16

No way this guy is injured again. Real knew exactly when to let him go.

Telsim

Not a good signing so far, but he gets a pass from me for his first season in the PL, like Sancho. Both of them have everything to prove next season though. And between Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and Martinez the competition is going to be big.

Olecurls99

& some think we don't need a cb
It seems we need 7

Varane
Martinez
Bailly
Lindelof
Maguire
Jones
Tuanzebe

Let's hope we can get some money for some because there's a lot of talent there. I can't see 5 happy to sit on the bench.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's been a bit underwhelming so far.
In ways the signing reminds me of Sanchez.
Just can't stay fit or reproduce his obvious talent

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he was poor last season, not Varane-standards poor, just poor. Lindelof IMO was the best CB last season.
I will hold my judgement until Varane gets a proper run not interrupted by injury, but I don't see that happening.

Another high risk high reward transfer (along with Ronaldo) that turned into a disaster.

Green Arrow

Has there been any murmurings of him leaving?
I don't think I have heard anything about him leaving, I think what Goldbridge is referring to is that we have Martinez come in now who will play. Then you need to decide between Maguire and Varane and since EtH has said Maguire is my captain then that means Varane is on the bench. And with those wages will he won't like it but then again it could change when we start the season.

mctrials23

What is interesting about the next few weeks. Another player that United are paying far too much who is injury prone and unlikely to find any suitors willing to match our salary offer let alone give us a decent fee.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I guess the line of thought is that Ten Hag said that Maguire will start, just paid a lot of money for Martinez and Varane is on expensive wages for a squad player
You need competitive squad to push players to be at absolute best. So why city scoring 90 + points in four from five seasons. It's upto players to push and gain their starting spot.

Four fit and proper cb s needed for two spots normal in my opinion.

mctrials23

Varane is only a squad player due to his injuries. He keeps fit and he's a starter.
£340k/week should buy you a world class player without big injury issues. From what I have seen Varane is neither of these things. Perhaps he would look better if he could stay fit...but he can't so its a bit of a moot point.

OmarUnited4ever

Varane is only a squad player due to his injuries. He keeps fit and he's a starter.
Agreed, he needs to find consistency in not only being fit and available, but also in consistency in performances, with Lisandro arriving, him and Maguire should be worried about their starting place.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
£340k/week should buy you a world class player without big injury issues. From what I have seen Varane is neither of these things. Perhaps he would look better if he could stay fit...but he can't so its a bit of a moot point.
So we're just going to ignore his career with Real and that he's a world cup winner?

He is a class player but when you're injured a lot and playing in a poorly coached team alongside a player in shakey form it can make you look a bit shite.

Trex

Ten Hag didn't say those words exactly, but he said Maguire is a "First Choice" player.
Ten Hag, speaking in Melbourne, said when asked if Maguire is a first-choice player: “I think he is.He's proved it in the past but he also has to prove it in the present time and in the future. “He has played 46 times for England. Harry is really impressive and I expect a lot from him.

I just saw this quote, its very conditional and I feel it will apply to Varane and Martinez as well.

OmarUnited4ever

Ten Hag, speaking in Melbourne, said when asked if Maguire is a first-choice player: “I think he is.He's proved it in the past but he also has to prove it in the present time and in the future. “He has played 46 times for England. Harry is really impressive and I expect a lot from him.

I just saw this quote, its very conditional and I feel it will apply to Varane and Martinez as well.
Agreed, especially the bolded part, we will have to see it how it pans out, but I feel with Ten Hag, he is ready to drop big names to the bench.

Tavern in the town

So we're just going to ignore his career with Real and that he's a world cup winner?

He is a class player but when you're injured a lot and playing in a poorly coached team alongside a player in shakey form it can make you look a bit shite.
Equally you are all ignoring Varane’s performances in a United shirt. And he was always a little overrate at Madrid too imo, he often looked lost when he wasn’t paired with Ramos. He isn’t really someone who can lead the defensive line, he needs a leader CB alongside him. He’s basically Joe Gomez.

Trex

It doesn't matter what would happen if he was fit. He isn't, and when he's fit after an injury he's half of the Varane we thought we were getting.
Everyone was half the player we expected them to be last season so I would judge him on that.
Hopefully he stays fit, bar last season he isn't injury prone.

Revaulx

When he was announced my reaction was “Great player! I wonder why Madrid were happy to let him go?”

Let’s hope he manages to stay fit for long enough to challenge Harry. It would be awful for him to be yet another injury prone player on high wages.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Everyone was half the player we expected them to be last season so I would judge him on that.
Hopefully he stays fit, bar last season he isn't injury prone.
I'm very pessimistic about Varane getting over injuries. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.