Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

I just don't see EtH benching him for Maguire, I really don't.

I know the mood around Varane has changed a lot here but look at experienced players like Thiago or going back a bit further Ballack. They had unremarkable first seasons before really stepping it up the next season.

I actually think Varane was good last season but he just wasn't a difference maker. Some defenders can hold a terrible defence together but Varane wasn't capable of that. Perhaps he was overrated initially on joining us but he still is a damn good defender. Certainly another league from Maguire. I wouldn't mind just playing him in the PL to help with his fitness.

Trex

I'm very pessimistic about Varane getting over injuries. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yea if ETH would go with Martinez as a starter I think Varane is the best option to partner him.
Watching him at Madrid what he was really good at was defending the space behind him. Ramos was aggressive and front footed and he was the calm one sweeping behind.
Since Martinez is that aggressive, South American flavor type defender having a sweeper next to him is ideal.
If he can stay fit I think he'll be the best partner for Martinez.

mctrials23

So we're just going to ignore his career with Real and that he's a world cup winner?

He is a class player but when you're injured a lot and playing in a poorly coached team alongside a player in shakey form it can make you look a bit shite.
I would ignore the running career of a horse if it has only got 3 legs these days.

I don't get this argument. God knows how many players have gone from being/looking world class for a time and then injuries hit, form dips or they lose interest. Happens a lot.

Varane at his peak was a very good defender. Thats not important if he can't stay fit for more than a few games at a time now. Not only does that stop him from gaining any form but it means that if you want to use him regularly you have to accept that and take the hit with your "other" first choice partnership due to them not getting as much time together as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez/Maguire end up being our first choice partnership and if they do well then Varane won't play much.

sherrinford

Yea if ETH would go with Martinez as a starter I think Varane is the best option to partner him.
Watching him at Madrid what he was really good at was defending the space behind him. Ramos was aggressive and front footed and he was the calm one sweeping behind.
Since Martinez is that aggressive, South American flavor type defender having a sweeper next to him is ideal.
If he can stay fit I think he'll be the best partner for Martinez.
Varane isn't close to being the same athlete he was when he was younger though, and is simply not as capable of covering space in behind or performing miraculous recovery runs as he used to be. He also leaves the back line to engage opponents frequently and did so at very wrong times on plenty of occasions last season.

Trex

I would ignore the running career of a horse if it has only got 3 legs these days.

I don't get this argument. God knows how many players have gone from being/looking world class for a time and then injuries hit, form dips or they lose interest. Happens a lot.

Varane at his peak was a very good defender. Thats not important if he can't stay fit for more than a few games at a time now. Not only does that stop him from gaining any form but it means that if you want to use him regularly you have to accept that and take the hit with your "other" first choice partnership due to them not getting as much time together as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez/Maguire end up being our first choice partnership and if they do well then Varane won't play much.
Let's see this over an extending period of time before calling it?

Trex

Varane isn't close to being the same athlete he was when he was younger though, and is simply not as capable of covering space in behind or performing miraculous recovery runs as he used to be. He also leaves the back line to engage opponents frequently and did so at very wrong times on plenty of occasions last season.
He is currently struggling with his fitness but its not definite that he is past it, its too early to say isn't it.
On your second point of course he does or else that would be way too passive wouldn't it.

Olecurls99

He showed he was our best centre back last year even though he only played half the games.
So composed on the ball, even under pressure. Keeps possession when other defenders just lump it. If we get going he'll look even better.
A world class player.

Hulme91

He showed he was our best centre back last year even though he only played half the games.
So composed on the ball, even under pressure. Keeps possession when other defenders just lump it. If we get going he'll look even better.
A world class player.
Interesting how such a simple game provides so many varied opinions
Personally I thought he was bang average when he was able to get on the pitch

ROFLUTION

Interesting how such a simple game provides so many varied opinions
Personally I thought he was bang average when he was able to get on the pitch
I think you both are right - He was probably the best in a very terrible defence (small sample size), but that doesn't mean he was good.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think the club and manager would sell him in a heartbeat if there was any interest and a respectable fee.

sillwuka

A world class player.
Completely different to how i saw it.

I thought he looked awkward in possession and made quite a few errors. I back him to be much improved this season and show the form you mention.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He was poor. Very likely starting the season as (a very expensive) back up.

PoTMS

Lindelof was comfortably our best centre back last season. That's how poor our defenders were.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was all over the place. Hopefully he can turn it around but currently looking like another mistake.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ramos has seriously gone up in my estimation for making this lad look competent.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still believe he won’t be starting. Maguire and Martinez are just better on the ball than him, and both can actually remain fit to build a partnership.

AltiUn

I still believe he won’t be starting. Maguire and Martinez are just better on the ball than him, and both can actually remain fit to build a partnership.
I think you might be right. The manager isn't just going to sign his player of the season as his previous team to play back up, Martinez will likely be the starter.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think you might be right. The manager isn't just going to sign his player of the season as his previous team to play back up, Martinez will likely be the starter.
Everything is pointing to that. Not just because we know what ten Hag wants from his cbs in possession, but moving Maguire to the right on tour. He wants him on the right so Martinez can play on the left.

AltiUn

Everything is pointing to that. Not just because we know what ten Hag wants from his cbs in possession, but moving Maguire to the right on tour. He wants him on the right so Martinez can play on the left.
I quite like idea of 2 proactive CBs. I really dislike passive defending, even if some defenders are capable of making it work, it's why I was so against us signing Pau Torres.

OpenIntrovert

Varane is short of match fitness, as simple as that. He would have been better today if he did not miss the past 2 pre-season matches. Probably why Martinez is important as Varane tends to have fitness issues.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I quite like idea of 2 proactive CBs. I really dislike passive defending, even if some defenders are capable of making it work, it's why I was so against us signing Pau Torres.
Same, mate.

After it came out that ten Hag was joining, I started watching their games and even went back to watch previous ones. The thing I enjoyed the most was Timber and Martinez’s partnership. The way they were allowed to essentially become midfielders with Alvarez covering was brilliant to watch.

I can’t wait for ten Hag to do that here, too, and am still hoping we eventually sign Timber.

AltiUn

Same, mate.

After it came out that ten Hag was joining, I started watching their games and even went back to watch previous ones. The thing I enjoyed the most was Timber and Martinez’s partnership. The way they were allowed to essentially become midfielders with Alvarez covering was brilliant to watch.

I can’t wait for ten Hag to do that here, too, and am still hoping we eventually sign Timber.
I have a suspicion we'll go back in for Timber next summer, only problem is that if he continues his current trajectory then we'll have some competition for his signature.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looked quality at Madrid, we’re yet to see his best… hopefully him and martinez can be a regular this season.. I know it won’t happen though.

E-mal

I think the club and manager would sell him in a heartbeat if there was any interest and a respectable fee.
I would sell him too. The dude is not that good anymore and is perpetually having fitness issues.

mu4c_20le

He struggled to adapt to the PL last season, just like Jadon. I'm not worried about him at all, he'll come good this year and show his class.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
PSG would take him I bet. £25-30m. If he's behind Maguire, Martinez and Lindelof then I see no point. Besides he's been useless since he signed.
If you’re behind Lindelof you should be questioning what you’re doing in life

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If you’re behind Lindelof you should be questioning what you’re doing in life
I think Lindelof is rightfully ahead. Was our best CB last season and comfortably better than Varane again in pre season.

He's a 7/10 CB. Decent at most things but doesn't really excel in any way and can be exploited. Varane looks a liability at times.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think Lindelof is rightfully ahead. Was our best CB last season and comfortably better than Varane again in pre season.

He's a 7/10 CB. Decent at most things but doesn't really excel in any way and can be exploited. Varane looks a liability at times.
Seriously we’ve had 6 years for you to get your eyes tested

Sylar

When I think of him for Madrid, I think how lucky he was for taking out evra who was through on goal and I don't even think anything was given (should have been a red)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

"Just" the 5 years, not 6, but it's still surprising he's lasted here so long.

However, as average as he's been, at least he's generally always available, and the comparison to Bailly & Jones is horrible stats wise.

Lindelof 5 seasons 192 appearances
Bailly 6 seasons 113 appearances
Phil Jones 11 seasons 229 appearances

It's utter madness that these guys have lasted at the club so long for such minimal output.

Status
Not open for further replies.