Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

So we have to rate him based on what he did at another club 3+ years ago? Why cant we rate him based on how he plays now in the prime of his career?

Oh I get it. You're trying to distract from that
You were the one who brought up his time at Madrid? And you've just said you thought they'd have won 8 CL's if he wasn't dragging their level down?

Rashford, Casemiro, Varane and Martinez have been our best players this season realistically (maybe Shaw too if you ignore today's disaster). I'm not usually in the business of blaming our woes on our best performing players. If we had all positions on the pitch filled with players of Varane's level we'd be a lot better off for it.

Ekeke

You were the one who brought up his time at Madrid? And you've just said you thought they'd have won 8 CL's if he wasn't dragging their level down?

Rashford, Casemiro, Varane and Martinez have been our best players this season realistically (maybe Shaw too if you ignore today's disaster). I'm not usually in the business of blaming our woes on our best performing players.
Yes I said his problem at Madrid was making individual errors, which he did and both his own pace and Ramos helped him make up for some of them. Especially in 18/19 he made a lot and Real Madrid had a poor record of 46 conceded in 38 games, 7th best defensive record in la liga and finishing 3rd - poor for them.

Varane has been our 3rd best CB at best after Lisandro and Shaw

Dominos

Yes I said his problem at Madrid was making individual errors, which he did and both his own pace and Ramos helped him make up for some of them. Especially in 18/19 he made a lot and Real Madrid had a poor record of 46 conceded in 38 games, 7th best defensive record in la liga and finishing 3rd - poor for them.

Varane has been our 3rd best CB at best after Lisandro and Shaw
3rd best at best and definitely behind a guy who's played 4 games at centre back.

Ekeke from Redcafe seems to believe it's debatable whether Varane is even in our top 3 centre backs this season.

Now there's a man without an agenda. This is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Ekeke

3rd best at best and definitely behind a guy who's played 4 games at centre back.

Ekeke from Redcafe seems to believe it's debatable whether Varane is even in our top 3 centre backs this season.

Now there's a man without an agenda. This is ludicrous.
Yes in those 5 games Shaw was one of our best CBs. If you bothered to watch us you'd know that

Unfortunately both our best performing CBs this season are left footed so it doesnt look like we'll see them as a duo. Its worth trying really

Rossa

He wasn't good yesterday, but it was still fun to see him completely dominate Salah in a 40 yard foot race - that was reminiscent to the Youtube phenomenon when he did the same to Messi.

He actually looked like he carried a minor injury as he was very immoble at times and looked to have very little agility in his body.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He wasn't good yesterday, but it was still fun to see him completely dominate Salah in a 40 yard foot race - that was reminiscent to the Youtube phenomenon when he did the same to Messi.

He actually looked like he carried a minor injury as he was very immoble at times and looked to have very little agility in his body.
This.

His top speed is still very good, if not as insane as it was a few years ago. But if Salah had the ball there and could twist and turn like he did to Martinez I have no doubt he would ridicule Varane as he looks so stiff, he's not moving properly. You could see it for the first goal as well. It's been like that all season, it's not an injury it's just who he is as a player now.

Canagel

In general he is a good centre back but I find him overrated. Like Smalling was he never looks in full control of his body and he is prone to shockers against good oppostion.

You can see why he retired from internationals.

Rossa

This.

His top speed is still very good, if not as insane as it was a few years ago. But if Salah had the ball there and could twist and turn like he did to Martinez I have no doubt he would ridicule Varane as he looks so stiff, he's not moving properly. You could see it for the first goal as well. It's been like that all season, it's not an injury it's just who he is as a player now.
Not sure I quite agree - I think he's been brilliant in his one on one defending this season, but yesterday he moved differently. Stiffer and more immobile.

His top speed is ridiculous. Salah is quick, maybe not the fastest over distance, but he was absolutely demolished in that run - so I would say Varane still has an insane top speed when he wants to, but he is very selective on when he uses it and not. He looked visible pissed off towards the end, so he may have forgotten himself for a moment there. Salah can twist and turn pretty much any player when on form, and that's the negative of having those long legs that Varane has.

Rossa

In general he is a good centre back but I find him overrated. Like Smalling was he never looks in full control of his body and he is prone to shockers against good oppostion.

You can see why he retired from internationals.
He's been brilliant this season, so he's definitely not overrated. Looks can be deceiving. He does look a little gangly, but he is very strong and turns very quickly. In terms of defending, Smalling was also always very good. He just wasn't good enough with his feet, and Varane seems much more like a leader than Smalling ever did.

Man Utd 4:1 Real Betis

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Could he be a legend in two big clubs? I'd vote yes. Unassuming, behind the scene, but very important player. Love a type of player like this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's so unassuming at times isn't he? Not even in a bad way. Just seems to get on with it, very little fuss. I forget he's playing sometimes and it's hard to say that whilst meaning it in a positive way but I do :lol:

NoPace

Best player on the pitch for most of it until we started scoring goals and other guys looked better, also Lisandro's quality on the ball showed more and more.

He's very, very good. We need to sign a proper backup for him to replace Maguire so he can play only when he's completely fit.

NZT-One

I thought, especially in 1st half he was great. The partnership with Martinez really worked, in 2nd half Martinez was a bit more recognizable but that shouldn't be a dig at Varane.

Sylar

One thing that goes unnoticed is how he organises at the back. It's quiet but he's defo a leader there. Bar the Liverpool game (where everybody had a shit show) you can see the difference when he's defending Vs when he's not.

Dominos

He saved us a couple of times in that first half, once when Martinez missed his header and jumped under the ball and the other AWB let a man run in behind.

He has to score that chance from the set piece though. He's literally 4 yards out.

A-man

What happened?
ETH:
“He’s injured,” said the manager, when asked about Rapha by MUTV’s Stewart Gardner.

“It’s difficult to say but I think it’s something small. I think he’ll recover and be back after the international break.”

Rolaholic

'More than likely that I'll finish my career either in Manchester or Lens'

Sylar

He's a marvelous defender, deserves to win more.
Hopefully with us, but it does seem funny saying that about somebody who has won the CL numerous times, and a world cup and also got a world cup runners up medal :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Hopefully with us, but it does seem funny saying that about somebody who has won the CL numerous times, and a world cup and also got a world cup runners up medal :lol:
So true! I just REALLY don't want us to be his one black mark in his career, infuriating if him and Casemiro join us and stop winning.

UpWithRivers

Still quite injury prone isnt he. Played like 27 games to Maguires 24. Sure Maguires games were in less important games but still goes to show that Ten Haag needs to keep him wrapped in cotton wool. Its a shame because he's class. Think there is room for a top CB to come in instead of a back up because of it. More Kim min-jae than Ndika for example

TheRedHearted

Still quite injury prone isnt he. Played like 27 games to Maguires 24. Sure Maguires games were in less important games but still goes to show that Ten Haag needs to keep him wrapped in cotton wool. Its a shame because he's class. Think there is room for a top CB to come in instead of a back up because of it. More Kim min-jae than Ndika for example
Yep. Sell maguire and sign another, rotate them well enough. When casemiro is out with another red play Martinez at dm hehe

Rolaholic

Love just how much he's enjoying his time in England with us, you can see it every time out

Newcastle 2:0 Man Utd

Sylar

Think he can take blame for the first goal. He made a few mistakes, from losing the ball from the goal kick, then not putting in a tackle on the edge of the box, then not getting back to the six yard line

A-man

Not his best game, also looked a bit shaky with the ball at times. The positive he saved Dalot several times who struggled on his side.

Man Utd 1:0 Brentford

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The break seems to have helped him freshen up a bit. Very strong in defending both aerially and on the ground, quality in passing and similar to Sunday, it was nice to see him break the lines a few times by bringing the ball out from the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.