191cm
Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Squad Number: #19
Player Agent: CAA Base Ltd
Contract Expires: 30 June 2025
Outfitter: Puma​

The Viper

Hopefully he can stay fit this upcoming season. Time for him to have a solid season with us. If we are to win a trophy/secure top 4 then this guy has to have a solid season for us in defense. With better team all around, I think he'd step up and look more solid compared to last season.

Olecurls99

Hopefully he can stay fit this upcoming season. Time for him to have a solid season with us. If we are to win a trophy/secure top 4 then this guy has to have a solid season for us in defense. With better team all around, I think he'd step up and look more solid compared to last season.
Yeah he'll look brilliant if we get close to resembling a good team

Tavern in the town

Absent from training. Gone under the radar how poor a signing he’s been been. 29, on 340k a week, regularly injured and contrary to popular belief he’s not a very unreliable defender even when he does play. Really does look like his best days are behind him. That last summer of Ole’s is ageing absolutely horrendously.

Bwuk

It's wild how disappointing he's been.

He was getting compared to VvD. Granted, he's been injured a lot but when he's played it's been a 7/10 rather than a 8 or 9/10.

Tavern in the town

It's wild how disappointing he's been.

He was getting compared to VvD. Granted, he's been injured a lot but when he's played it's been a 7/10 rather than a 8 or 9/10.
I think that’s very generous. Feel like people are afraid to say he’s been shite because he’s Raphael Varane, World Cup and Champions League winner. If we judged him by the standards we do Lindelof and Maguire it’s hard to say he’s been anything other than crap.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Will have a stellar season under a manager who has a clue

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Will have a stellar season under a manager who has a clue
Unlikely. Your biggest asset as a footballer is keeping fit.

I don't think the new manager can count on him, so I'd look to move him on if there was any interest. We have got burnt for years on buying past-their-peak players who cannot dependably play for us. He's another.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unlikely. Your biggest asset as a footballer is keeping fit.

I don't think the new manager can count on him, so I'd look to move him on if there was any interest. We have got burnt for years on buying past-their-peak players who cannot dependably play for us. He's another.
And United has a poor record with keeping players fit. A lot will change with the new regime

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If we judged him by the standards we do Lindelof and Maguire it’s hard to say he’s been anything other than crap.
Not really, he's been better than both. Not that being better than Lindelöf or last season's Maguire equates with being good — he's certainly been disappointing on the pitch, but the biggest issue is, by far, his injury record.

The 7/10 estimation is obviously way over the top though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think that’s very generous. Feel like people are afraid to say he’s been shite because he’s Raphael Varane, World Cup and Champions League winner. If we judged him by the standards we do Lindelof and Maguire it’s hard to say he’s been anything other than crap.
Definitely. He's been a disaster of a signing so far.

A-man

Not really, he's been better than both. Not that being better than Lindelöf or last season's Maguire equates with being good — he's certainly been disappointing on the pitch, but the biggest issue is, by far, his injury record.

The 7/10 estimation is obviously way over the top though.
Hard to compare when he missed all big games and those were left for Maguire and Lindelof to play.

I think some of his injury problems came from missing the whole pre-season and then thrown on to a physical league like the PL. Hopefully his body is better prepared this season (hoping but doubting it).
Looked good with Lindelof before a Christmas but Lindelof looked like another player after his heart problem.

Tavern in the town

Hard to compare when he missed all big games and those were left for Maguire and Lindelof to play.

I think some of his injury problems came from missing the whole pre-season and then thrown on to a physical league like the PL. Hopefully his body is better prepared this season (hoping but doubting it).
Looked good with Lindelof before a Christmas but Lindelof looked like another player after his heart problem.
You’d like to think so but his injury record hasn’t been too great throughout his career. Not disastrous mind you, but he does seem to spend a decent amount out every single season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/raphael-varane/verletzungen/spieler/164770

sillwuka

No wonder Madrid had no issues selling :wenger:

If Maguire had a similar impact to Varane in his first season he would be slated on here.

ThanksBoss26

Any news on an injury? I read he trained in the first session but not the second? Hopefully managing his pre-season as opposed to anything more. More likely an injury though admittedly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, the injuries are a nightmare. But he's a top defender. For me he was easily our best defender last season and it was the first time I saw a United defender calm on the ball (two footed at that) in years.

We will simply have to only play him in the league and hope he can give us 38 appearances.

Red00012

Yeah, the injuries are a nightmare. But he's a top defender. For me he was easily our best defender last season and it was the first time I saw a United defender calm on the ball (two footed at that) in years.

We will simply have to only play him in the league and hope he can give us 38 appearances.
It’s not saying much he was our best defender look around at what played back there last season. Plus he missed a load of games through injury . As poor as Maguire was , he’s very rarely injured

SungSam7

No wonder Madrid had no issues selling :wenger:

If Maguire had a similar impact to Varane in his first season he would be slated on here.
You can not compare the two. Infact, I remember a few on here would have been ok with Maguire being kept out of the team for the remainder of the season January onwards.

Varan, we all would wish could stay fit because we know as a multiple CL defender, what he can do for our defense.

Tavern in the town

He was borderline calamitous at times, 4-0 vs Brighton stands out in particular. If he was any better than Maguire and Lindelof, it wasn’t by much at all.

Amarsdd

You can not compare the two. Infact, I remember a few on here would have been ok with Maguire being kept out of the team for the remainder of the season January onwards.

Varan, we all would wish could stay fit because we know as a multiple CL defender, what he can do for our defense.
you're missing the whole point there

Amarsdd

Im honestly failing to see the point. I dont know if its because of trying to read it from a text view or what, what is the person trying to point out?
the poster was pointing out the difference in over the top fan reactions to Maguire as compared to lukewarm reactions to Varane even when there wasn't that huge difference in their seasons. You're using that same over the top fan reactions to make your point.

Stacks

he really wasn't. was very ordinary and reputation carried him.
He was borderline calamitous at times, 4-0 vs Brighton stands out in particular. If he was any better than Maguire and Lindelof, it wasn’t by much at all.
I agree.

kps88

And people wonder why we're trying to sign a new CB.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This is getting worrying , I would actively be looking at swapping him this summer.
That fecker perez sure knew what he was doing .

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Real Madrid offered him a contract before he left, so I don't think they suspected the injuries. But yeah, he's been a waste of time and I expect Martinez to take his place in the starting XI this season.

ReallyUSA

Real Madrid offered him a contract before he left, so I don't think they suspected the injuries. But yeah, he's been a waste of time and I expect Martinez to take his place in the starting XI this season.
how much did they offer him?

Status
Not open for further replies.