Raphaël Varane - Summer 2019

cyberman

RW and RB are more urgent, I'd say even a midfield. We won't spend that much anyway.
Our fullbacks are vastly underrated on here. The difference between Smalling and Varane in regards to composure, bringing the ball out and allowing us to play a higher line is vastly more beneficial than swapping Dalot with Crystal Palaces RB. Plus the improvement that Sancho would bring to our right side would ease the burden from our RB anyway.
I think we're making a push this summer. Problem then is I think it eats into our budget for the summer after so Ole has to get it right.

Shinjch

I feel a wage increase and a contract extension coming on. He would not be on the top of my wanted list anyway.

Judas

Open to offers
If he wants the move and its genuinely possible, I'd take him, he's still so young too. But I won't be getting my hopes up for a single second.

deadrevelz

Our fullbacks are vastly underrated on here. The difference between Smalling and Varane in regards to composure, bringing the ball out and allowing us to play a higher line is vastly more beneficial than swapping Dalot with Crystal Palaces RB. Plus the improvement that Sancho would bring to our right side would ease the burden from our RB anyway.
I think we're making a push this summer. Problem then is I think it eats into our budget for the summer after so Ole has to get it right.
Agree that CB comes before RB, but I would like Meunier at RB so we don't overuse Dalot. Young just won't cut it next year.

Matt007a

I like the mentality of a man who has won everything and still wants more. Not more of the same at his current club, but to replicate his success at a new one, which is arguably an even greater challenge.

Absolute no brainer if he truly is looking to leave. We should do everything we can to sign him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Give the latest scouting report on him, bud. Starting with issue with his knees, his defensive nous, heading ability....the whole 9 yards. Thanks in advance.
As far as I know he doesn't have any knee problems, he had big cut on the knee but it was a hit, he had a back problem a few years ago that was allegedly causing other issues particularly muscular but it hasn't been a problem in the last 18 months. Defensively he is excellent, good positioning, anticipation and probably the best athlete among top defenders but what separates him from others is that he is very good on the ball with both feet, last week he just decided to cross with his left foot and it was probably the best cross of the game.

ravi2

RW and RB are more urgent, I'd say even a midfield. We won't spend that much anyway.
CB and RW are the two areas of the team that have to be addressed this summer, with the CM and RB following imo.
Our defense and non existent right side are tragic.

cathari

He is a step up from Koulibaly and Skriniar for me. Would be a marquee CB that could possibly reinsure the likes of Pogba and De Gea of the club's intent to do everything in order to challenge for the title again.

At the same time, I wouldn't get too worked up about this. Reminds me too much about the AG7 saga. Ahhh, the muppet season guys. It is here.

If Varane does indeed leave and this isn't,as most of us presume,nothing other than leverage for a new contract,where do people see him going ?

I see PSG,United,Juve as the front runners who you could argue all need defensive recruitments.
My left field choice would be Ac Milan who've been looking really promising laterly under Gattuso. If they get top 4 they could be of interest.

Ban

CB and RW are the two areas of the team that have to be addressed this summer, with the CM and RB following imo.
Our defense and non existent right side are tragic.
Actually I don't think our defense is tragic. Could do with a CB but tragic it is not.

Suv666

Varane has to be one of the fastest CB in the game right now. That run at 0:58 :drool:

Ban

I don't think we can go into next season with Young and Dalot as our RB options.

Champagne Football

Or they're no longer flavour of the month; Di Maria, Ozil, Robben. They always want the latest shiny new toy and sometimes good players get pushed aside for them.

I'd love Varane here and it's probably the position we most urgently need to improve. I don't know how he'd fare under the barrage of long balls he might occasionally face in England but he's a great player. 10 finals, 10 trophies. That's some record.
Di Maria and Ozil definitely in the overrated club. With Robben you could see the logic - he was almost always injured. Went to Bayern and they seemed to have a club doctor that was a miracle worker and the rest is history.
I don't think anyone could have predicted that Robben would end up playing as often as he did at Bayern.

Trizy

Not good enough for the price. He'll also get bullied like Victor.

Id rather spend the same money on De Ligt.

ErranMorad

As far as I know he doesn't have any knee problems, he had big cut on the knee but it was a hit, he had a back problem a few years ago that was allegedly causing other issues particularly muscular but it hasn't been a problem in the last 18 months. Defensively he is excellent, good positioning, anticipation and probably the best athlete among top defenders but what separates him from others is that he is very good on the ball with both feet, last week he just decided to cross with his left foot and it was probably the best cross of the game.
Thanks. Good to know that he doesn't have any injury issues that might affect him long term. I seem to remember reading something about his knees a couple of years back. May be I am mistaking him with someone else.

I find him a very good passer too. In fact, one of the best from the CB position. Don't find him as good or strong defensively as say VVD from the limited times I have seen him. How would you say is his aerial prowess?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yaaaaas. Have a feeling this will kick off Pogba negotiations with them though :(

Judas

Open to offers

You can rather spend money on De Ligt, but I'm surprised people can't just admit that Barca is a better option for him and its where he's most likely to go, no matter what sort of money we throw about to try and make the deal happen.

Comparing Varane to Victor is bonkers as well.

Yaaaaas. Have a feeling this will kick off Pogba negotiations with them though :(
Would be funny if this will be Madrid's plan and Ed doesn't fall for it.
Ed "Nope,Varane no longer fits the criteria we're looking for in a CB"
Madrid "DOH!"

Adamsk7

He’s an absolute beast. He would have been my no.1 choice for the summer but I never thought he’d be available. Now there’s a chance, we need to go for it. Would improve our back line massively. A step above all of our other supposed defensive targets.

Suv666

What even :lol:
De Ligt is great but he isnt in the same league as Varane

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would be funny if this will be Madrid's plan and Ed doesn't fall for it.
Ed "Nope,Varane no longer fits the criteria we're looking for in a CB"
Madrid "DOH!"
Oh god, could you imagine if he fell for it and then Varane signs a new deal.
"Sorry Ed...but you're still selling us Pogba, right?"

Cloud7

I would hope that this is a parody post. There is literally not a single CB in world football who absolutely defines “worth the price” than Varane.

Sanche7

Have always thought of him as a great athlete and an OK CB. His defensive awareness and positioning aren't great but he gets away with it because of his athletic abilities, especially his speed
Having said that, I think he's the best option available and will compliment Lindelof very well, add to the fact that he's just 26 with tons of experience, it's a no brainer

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Redit has them in the top ‘very reliable’ tier for Real Madrid news.
And it's not something new. L'Equipe announced it some days ago.

Also, Varane is French and he's been 8 years at Real Madrid already. If he thinks he's completed a cycle and gets a much better offer somewhere else, I can understand if he wants to leave.

deafepl

Oh god, could you imagine if he fell for it and then Varane signs a new deal.
"Sorry Ed...but you're still selling us Pogba, right?"
Real Madrid:"If you sell Pogba to us, we'll give you a 5% discount on players the exception of Varane" Ed Woodward looking at Bale (mouthwatering)