Raphaël Varane - Summer 2019

Vanya

No chance of this happening. His recent quote from a week back -

"To say that I am not happy at Real Madrid is not true. I'm at Real Madrid. The biggest club in the world. I'm constantly in a state of challenging myself because the requirement here is that of the highest level. I'm focused on my career."

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Who's La Sexta?
It’s the same source. Source is very good btw, it’s true that he asked to leave.

They mention Zidane will try to convince him to stay so it doesn’t seem like the decision is final. Might be a repeat of the Ramos thing from a couple of years ago.

Varane has had a terrible season, he’s just 26 and one of the best CBs in the world but 100 million would be pushing it.

Last edited:

deafepl

"To say that I am not happy at Real Madrid is not true. I'm at Real Madrid. The biggest club in the world. I'm constantly in a state of challenging myself because the requirement here is that of the highest level. I'm focused on my career."
What Varane are supposed to say? it's the same story with every player when they get linked to the club.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks. Good to know that he doesn't have any injury issues that might affect him long term. I seem to remember reading something about his knees a couple of years back. May be I am mistaking him with someone else.

I find him a very good passer too. In fact, one of the best from the CB position. Don't find him as good or strong defensively as say VVD from the limited times I have seen him. How would you say is his aerial prowess?
He is generally good in the air and he can dominate anyone but sometimes he doesn't which is difficult to explain.

Cabin Clown

I had him and VVD as the best centre halves in the world at the start of the season. I couldn't care less about his current form, I'd love him. Really think it's wishful thinking however. De Ligt, if possible the more sensible choice you'd imagine.

Mick321

One of the most overrated CB's ever. A good player and a stack of trophies but there's no way on earth this guy is transforming our defence, I'm not too high on Koulibaly either but I'd much rather him than Varane. We are in a bit of a tough position as we need a CB but there's not many great options about, spending 100m on this guy isn't the answer though, he's not a leader either, he needs carrying by his partner.

ravi2

Di Maria and Ozil definitely in the overrated club. With Robben you could see the logic - he was almost always injured. Went to Bayern and they seemed to have a club doctor that was a miracle worker and the rest is history.
I don't think anyone could have predicted that Robben would end up playing as often as he did at Bayern.
Real also sold Sneijder in his prime

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who's genuinely better for 100m? Varane or the Napoli chap?
Varane no question. He's quicker and a better passer. His positioning is also top class, not that Koulibaly is poor in this regard but Varane is better.

Classical Mechanic

Love the idea that with our options at the back people are happy to turn their noses up at Varane. I love this place.
He's injury prone and he's no big leader or character. He simply isn't worth £100m to Manchester United at this point when we have so many other deficiencies.

Mick321

Love the idea that with our options at the back people are happy to turn their noses up at Varane. I love this place.
Just because we have some crap back there it doesn't make any defender a great signing by default. This guy has been worse than any of our CB's this season yet you think he solves everything here? :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
Just because we have some crap back there it doesn't make any defender a great signing by default. This guy has been worse than any of our CB's this season yet you think he solves everything here? :lol:
I don't think he solves everything, I don't believe I ever said that. But to say he wouldn't improve us is bonkers.

Yeah,he just wants a new contract.

Ed9

I still hope for De Ligt but rather buy Varane than Koulibaly.

flappyjay

Obviously looking for a pay rise. He is probably seen as a long-term captain candidate after Ramos, who probably has 3 years left at the top.

Alemar

Varane would be an excellent signing. He is key for his national team, provides significant goal threat at set pieces (something that Man Utd needs very badly - we rarely score headers from set play) and is very experienced yet relatively young for a defender. If anything, he is a better option than Koulibaly (although perhaps de Ligt could be an even better purchase due to giant potential)

There are no doubts that our club would be a better team with Varane

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If Real are obsessed with offloading Varane to replace him with Koulibaly then they obviously feel Varane is not good enough.

When Real are eager to offload a player it's often because they are overrated as has proven the case with James Rodriguez, Kovacic, Morata etc
I'm still miffed we never had a go at Robben or Sneijder when they offloaded them for peanuts.

That said, it's not that much Real but Varane I'm worried about. Why does he want out when Zidane has returned and he should be looking forward to it? That's what stinks to me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I was hoping for De Ligt but I’ll be really happy with Varane as well. He’s only 25 and got tonnes of experience on the biggest stages — multiple CL winner, World Cup winner. If the deal can be done and he’s genuinely seeking a new challenge then we’d be crazy not to go for the lad. He’s still so young too.

Champagne Football

I'm still miffed we never had a go at Robben or Sneijder when they offloaded them for peanuts.

That said, it's not that much Real but Varane I'm worried about. Why does he want out when Zidane has returned and he should be looking forward to it? That's what stinks to me.
Varane stats at Madrid from the start of this season up until December were:

Games with Varane - - - 13G - 7L - 2D - 4W

Games without Varane - - - 6G - 6W

If persistant rumours are that Real definitely want to sell, similar to how they feel with Bale, despite saying the contrary in public - while persistent rumours suggest Varane wants out, then you'd have to think it's a case of Zidane not fancying him and Varane well aware of this and wanting out.

Varane and Bale are definitely an upgrade with what we have but you run the risk with these transfers of doing another Alexis by signing an overpaid injury prone ageing star. It can work a dream like with Robben or a nightmate as with Schweinsteiger etc

JPRouve

Scout
Varane stats at Madrid from the start of this season up until December were:

Games with Varane - - - 13G - 7L - 2D - 4W

Games without Varane - - - 6G - 6W

If persistant rumours are that Real definitely want to sell, similar to how they feel with Bale, despite saying the contrary in public - while persistent rumours suggest Varane wants out, then you'd have to think it's a case of Zidane not fancying him and Varane well aware of this and wanting out.
Real do not want to sell. Varane wants a bigger contract and he is allegedly frustrated by the lack of support from Real regarding the Ballon d'Or. Basically money and ego.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Jesus imagine Jonesy attempting that — he’d break both his legs.

Last edited:

cathari

Quite spectacular if it is true that he wants out of Real, and perhaps a strong testimony that Zidane is not the great manager one might think? Different theories just don't add up, other than him wanting out is bollocks.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Real do not want to sell. Varane wants a bigger contract and he is allegedly frustrated by the lack of support from Real regarding the Ballon d'Or. Basically money and ego.
Varane is the kind of player you want to keep. Veteran and young at the same time and also quality. Best CB in the World Cup too.

If it's true he wants a better contract that's what he will get.

Andersons Dietician

Reminds self that it’s April 1st. Don’t get excited... don’t get excited...it must be contract season.

But seriously as far as most wanted CB he is that Unicorn. It just never seemed possible. Arguably a far better defender than Ramos, the only other CB I’d maybe take over him would be VVD.

Got to wonder are Real trying to raise funds for a Neymar, Mbappe or Hazard and if they are selling Varane wonder if they’ll look at DeLigt to go along with Militao.

unplayable

Jesus imagine Jonesy attempting that — he’d break both his legs.
I reckon any professional football player can do that if even I can do it. Really not impressive to pull that off without pressure.
I'd obviously still love him at United. :drool:

JPRouve

Scout
I reckon any professional football player can do that if even I can do it. Really not impressive to pull that off without pressure.
I'd obviously still love him at United. :drool:
Varane is right footed, that's the trick here.

unplayable

Varane is right footed, that's the trick here.
The important touch is with his right foot or is it supposed to be impressive that he can hit the ball on the volley with his weaker foot?

El Jefe

Some of the doubting of Varane is laughable. Admittedly he hasn't had the best of seasons but there's no doubt he's one of the best CBs in the world.

I actually believe he'd look far better playing in the PL than he does at Madrid as I feel it suits his game more. The only downsides are the price as £100m is madness and the fact that he's not really a leader. We need a leader more than anything right now but saying that Varane displayed more of this side to him at the World Cup with France.

BaseFishing

Football has become a 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately' type of sport, and "lately" is now simply the last six months.

el3mel

Why would he want a move now Zidane is back ?

Just a new contract tactics most probably.