Raphaël Varane - Summer 2019

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why would he want a move now Zidane is back ?

Just a new contract tactics most probably.
L'equipe reported last week that Varane was seriously considering leaving Madrid and wanted a new challenge. Now you've got a tier 1 Spanish source basically saying he wants to leave.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some of the doubting of Varane is laughable. Admittedly he hasn't had the best of seasons but there's no doubt he's one of the best CBs in the world.

I actually believe he'd look far better playing in the PL than he does at Madrid as I feel it suits his game more. The only downsides are the price as £100m is madness and the fact that he's not really a leader. We need a leader more than anything right now but saying that Varane displayed more of this side to him at the World Cup with France.
Varane is a leader and it's not something that he showed at the World Cup but before that. He is only the vice captain but since Lloris is on the quite side, he is the one talking in the dressing room and giving instructions. Pogba is the one that got into it later.

el3mel

L'equipe reported last week that Varane was seriously considering leaving Madrid and wanted a new challenge. Now you've got a tier 1 Spanish source basically saying he wants to leave.
It's really weird he wants out now that Madrid seem to get stabilized again with Zidane in charge, also the French connection and all. Would have made more sense with another manager. I'll take this with pinch of salt. If he really wants out then maybe he just got bored, but wanting a new contract is still a strong option.

C'est Moi Cantona

People are rightly wary of anything to with Madrid, would happily just not deal with them at all.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair when Ramos did his stunt the same sort of trusted sources were saying he wanted to leave, and look what happened. I’m very wary of believing any of this at the moment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's really weird he wants out now that Madrid seem to get stabilized again with Zidane in charge, also the French connection and all. Would have made more sense with another manager. I'll take this with pinch of salt. If he really wants out then maybe he just got bored, but wanting a new contract is still a strong option.
You could be right of course, or the player genuinely does want a new challenge elsewhere like the English Premier League after winning everything there is at Madrid.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To be fair when Ramos did his stunt the same sort of trusted sources were saying he wanted to leave, and look what happened. I’m very wary of believing any of this at the moment.
L'equipe Madrid correspondent thinks that he is just trying to get some attention from Madrid.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sorry, don't think he's tough enough for the PL. I want an assertive ass kicker at the back for us if we're to get anyone in that position.
Way too much money as well, when we need other areas addressed.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm abit more optimistic regarding Varane to be fair. I obviously could be wrong, but he's won all there is to win at Madrid, and it's now time to test himself in our EPL.

sam147

Fingers crossed its true. I dont see why anyone would want Koulibaly over him. Varane is a UCL and World cup champion and he is younger. Varane has better attributes for what we need. He should 100% be our priority. He might not be a vocal leader but he is a calming presence needed in a shaky defence. I hope this isnt him trying to get a new contract. He seems like a guy with ambition and coming to a new league could be a challenge he wants.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Can’t believe he’s only turning 26. Prolly the closest clone to VvD out there. Well, physically at least. Not sure if we should be spending such a big chunk of our transfer budget on a center half, as there’s likely three positions we have a more pressing need. Muppets are gonna have their hands full this summer.

Patrick08

If you look at his performances past two seasons where real Madrid have struggled, he has been pretty poor in those, probably real realize this and ain't giving him enough raise, at this point we need to stay away from players not in top form in club football.

Rojofiam

If this is true, we need to do everything to get either him or De Ligt in my opinion.

luke511

Sergio Ramos used Graham Hunter for a new contract, Varane's using this guy.

Bwuk

Obviously if we could get him we should but he’s using us for a new contract.

TheHeya

Ah so I see he’s been speaking to Ramos and finding out how to get a new bumper contract.

ravi2

Why would he want a move now Zidane is back ?

Just a new contract tactics most probably.
This reminds me of exactly when Ramos 'wanted to leave'. If a player really wants to leave, he will leave and there is no need for him to announce anything before. I hope we dont get played again

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Real do not want to sell. Varane wants a bigger contract and he is allegedly frustrated by the lack of support from Real regarding the Ballon d'Or. Basically money and ego.
Lolwut? :lol:

Quite spectacular if it is true that he wants out of Real, and perhaps a strong testimony that Zidane is not the great manager one might think? Different theories just don't add up, other than him wanting out is bollocks.
Precisely my point.

arthurka

I think he is to soft.. would like Koulibaly more.
Also Real has a huge building job on their hands, wouldnt like to fund that at all.

Tiber

How in the name of god is Varane only 25? Feels like we have been linked to him for a decade

Tarrou

nah, not investing my valuable muppet time in this thread this summer

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Where is all this ‘Varane is too soft for the PL’ nonsense coming from? He’s anything but!

Canagel

How in the name of god is Varane only 25? Feels like we have been linked to him for a decade
And that's the whole point. If he left whoever bought him will get 7/8 years of service. Providing there's no injury or burnout.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Why is Koulibaly so much better? I'm interested to know because I do rate both players highly, but wouldn't say Koulibaly is easily better.
He just is, better physically, better defensive positioning and he’s a leader. Varane’s been lucky to play next to Ramos and he’s the clear second best CB in Madrid while Koulibaly carries Napoli’s defense by himself with average fullbacks, average goalkeeper and an average CB partner next to him.

Koulibaly is at an elite level, Van Dijk, Ramos, Pique and Chiellini are the only other defenders at the same level. Varane is a level below that.

That is if he goes back to his normal level, this year has been shocking for Varane.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He just is, better physically, better defensive positioning and he’s a leader. Varane’s been lucky to play next to Ramos and he’s the clear second best CB in Madrid while Koulibaly carries Napoli’s defense by himself with average fullbacks, average goalkeeper and an average CB partner next to him.

Koulibaly is at an elite level, Van Dijk, Ramos, Pique and Chiellini are the only other defenders at the same level. Varane is a level below that.

That is if he goes back to his normal level, this year has been shocking for Varane.
Koulibaly definitely carries the Napoli defence and is a brilliant CB. I wouldn't turn my nose up at either to be fair.

extincti fugax hominum

The absolutely perfect partner for Smalling :drool: Great athlete, fast, Rio type defender and good in the air etc. He's also very good on the ball which complements Smalling's deficiency as a player. He can be a bit injury prone though.

Also, he extended his contract not so long ago (last season iirc) so the "new contract incoming" comments make no sense. He was an ambitious guy when he left Lens and probably thinks he completed his mission at Real after 8 years and 4 CLs :eek: I believe he genuinely is looking for a new challenge and wants to leave this summer. We should do everything we can to get him here imo. He's the missing piece in our defence.

nameischarles

If he really wants to leave Madrid and start a new challenge then we definitely should go all out for him.

But does he want to really leave now that Zidane is back? Ramos will need to be replaced, would Madrid sell him?

Part of me still thinks his going to use us or any other club for a new contract.