Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would move Axel on. He's ok but we need better than ok, plus he's in the need of consistent football. He's 23 yrs old already.

Chairman Steve

After Sergio Ramos, I am automatically sceptical towards any links to Real Madrid players and assume it’s all new contract parlour tricks.

Plus is a man who has won virtually everything at club and country levels going to have the same desire to do it for us? Or is this just another marquee name looking to collect an easy pension?

largelyworried

No brainer if that's possible. He's not the best CB around, but he's experienced, that's what makes him worth buying. We need someone who can come in and won't be phased by being involved in the big league and European games. We can't buy more players who will take a season or three to reach their peak, that moment has gone. The fact that he would bring some pace to the backline is also very welcome. Plus, £40M wouldn't break the bank, would leave us a little to put towards some bigger fees.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be a brilliant signing.

People want to sign a Rio or a Vidic. Van Dijk is easily the best CB in the world. After him, there's a massive drop off and we won't find anyone of that class. Varane is still a top defender with a history of success, he just turned 28 so is at a pretty good age for a CB where he can offer 3-4 years at a top level, and give us the experience we need. His attributes would compliment Maguire quite well too. Worlds above Lindelof or Bailly, though lindelof isn't all that bad anyway, just not quite enough and certainly not without Maguire.

A window of Varane and Sancho would be amazing.

saivet

Plus is a man who has won virtually everything at club and country levels going to have the same desire to do it for us? Or is this just another marquee name looking to collect an easy pension?
If the noises are true, he's simply looking for a new challenge. He's not even 30 yet so I doubt he's even thinking about the end of his career. On paper a good signing in my opinion.

Kostov

And then Real Madrid turns around and spend that money on Kounde? Feels like a mistake. With Ferguson, we used to be on the selling side of those deals.
And what is good for Madrid doesn't have to be good for us. I think Kounde would be ripped apart in the PL, Varane won't.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
And what is good for Madrid doesn't have to be good for us. I think Kounde would be ripped apart in the PL, Varane won't.
Kounde is alot thougher physically than Varane. Lets not overestimate everything we can measure (height for instance) and underestimate anything we cant (aggression, smartness, agility).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well he's not been shite for 10 years has he? He's won like a gazillion Champion's Leagues since then.

Maybe for the last year he's not been as good, but that is reflected in the price of 40 million.
That’s the question mark of him right there...’ maybe he’s not been as good’

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You'd think people would've learned from Ramos. We are a contract negotiation tool, nothing more.

He is not leaving a city like Madrid where he challenges for the top trophies every single year to Manchester where a trophy challenge isn't even guaranteed.

Kostov

Kounde is alot thougher physically than Varane. Lets not overestimate everything we can measure (height for instance) and underestimate anything we cant (aggression, smartness, agility).
Varane is one of the purest athletes playing at CB, even at his current level I feel he will handle the PL with much more ease than Kounde who is a fecking midget.

spiriticon

That’s the question mark of him right there...’ maybe he’s not been as good’
Sure, but for a Lindelof price, why not? I think he'll be better than Lindelof at least.

If Madrid are asking 60 million plus then no thanks.

dinostar77

One of the best CBs in the world easily in top 5, last year of contract for £40mil. Not a chance. If Utd do make a bid thats probably the opening salvo to sign him for around £60mil.

Been burnt by madrid players in the past, so until he jets in for a medical i will remain sceptical.

croadyman

One of the best CBs in the world easily in top 5, last year of contract for £40mil. Not a chance. If Utd do make a bid thats probably the opening salvo to sign him for around £60mil.

Been burnt by madrid players in the past, so until he jets in for a medical i will remain sceptical.
I have always said £50m plus addons IF he really was open to leaving which I'm still unsure about

Sting

Does anyone know why he is for sale? I haven’t really watched him this season but I suspect he’s been struggling otherwise there is no way RM would let him leave nor would he. Just hope we won’t sign him based on his past glories as he was playing in a team full of world class players who were head and shoulders above everyone else. Are there any Real Madrid fans who would like to weigh in?

SAFMUTD

He's an Alexis Sánchez case in the making, please just stay away.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's an Alexis Sánchez case in the making, please just stay away.
He’s really not. He’s a year younger than Sanchez was and he has just half the miles on the clock Sanchez had when he signed for us.

He’s absolutely lightning still but doesn’t play in a position that requires the same pace and stamina that Alexis did. In fact he plays in a position which should be coming into his peak years. Ramos for example is 7 years older than him and look what he achieved in the last 7 years, Thiago Silva is older than Ramos.

Varane just needs invigorating in a side that isn’t on the way down and he should be a great foil for Maguire.

BFernandes

Looking at his injury history over the last 2 to 3 years, I was pleasantly surprised.

Most of the games he's missed for Madrid were in the 16/17 season. Since then, he's only missed 19 games, 5 of which were due to covid and flu.

So not bad at all

SAFMUTD

He’s really not. He’s a year younger than Sanchez was and he has just half the miles on the clock Sanchez had when he signed for us.

He’s absolutely lightning still but doesn’t play in a position that requires the same pace and stamina that Alexis did. In fact he plays in a position which should be coming into his peak years. Ramos for example is 7 years older than him and look what he achieved in the last 7 years, Thiago Silva is older than Ramos.

Varane just needs invigorating in a side that isn’t on the way down and he should be a great foil for Maguire.
Is not a thing about age, is a thing about being washed out. Varane has been consistently poor for a second season in a row.

Same as Rooney declined at 31 and Cavani is still playing at 34. Varane has his reputation and that's it, many posters here are going by the name but if they had watched Varane consistently the last two seasons there's no way they want him.

There's a reason why Madrid wouldn't mind losing him.

OmarUnited4ever

Not sure about the veracity of the reports of our interest, i don't think we are considering him, he is a well known player, if we are genuinely interested in him then probably the rumors would intensify and other top clubs will be brought up as interested parties

SATA

If we offer him close to the money he wants at Madrid, he'll come. He's 27, quick and at his prime and he's no slouch in the air. I think he'll be a very good buy at 40M

Adcuth

Looking at his injury history over the last 2 to 3 years, I was pleasantly surprised.

Most of the games he's missed for Madrid were in the 16/17 season. Since then, he's only missed 19 games, 5 of which were due to covid and flu.

So not bad at all
Hes injured now isnt he.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
In term of playing style, Varane basically plays the same style as Lindelof. He's less aggressive and less proactive defender but Varane is the level above of Lindelof in almost everything. Much quicker, much stronger, better tackler, better duel, more proven to be reliable in top level of match. There is nothing Lindelof does is better than Varane, their ball playing ability is about the same.

He will be a very good pair for Maguire in my opinion. However, I have said it before, I'm not confident if we are going to sign a new CB this summer after we gave Bailly a new contract unless if it's for prospect signing.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The man has never lost a final he's played in. I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he's been poor this season, and shaky in the last two, but I can pretty much say that about every single player in Madrid bar Benzema and Courtois.

croadyman

The man has never lost a final he's played in. I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he's been poor this season, and shaky in the last two, but I can pretty much say that about every single player in Madrid bar Benzema and Courtois.
I am not gonna lie will always be biased towards signing him as wanted it since the summer of 2011, so in other words I am putting down his poor form this season due to maybe needing a new challenge to revitalise

dinostar77

Interesting that apparently koubailly is up for sale for £45mil but is 29 years old turning 30. Its been said that due to the collapse of the ESL that transfer fees will be down 20% on last summer. So maybe the quoted price for Varane is the new norm?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would he be a good signing for us @carvajal ? And how has he performed for you this season? Your response would be much appreciated including yours @giorno
I'm not sure. I'm still not clear whether he's an amazing player prone to occasional bad games and mistakes, or a relatively average one who just happened to play for the right teams to bolster his reputation...

He could be a Chiellini who's just about to hit his prime, cut down on the mistakes and become a wall, or he could be a Smalling who got lucky....i really can't tell for sure which one...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure. I'm still not clear whether he's an amazing player prone to occasional bad games and mistakes, or a relatively average one who just happened to play for the right teams to bolster his reputation...

He could be a Chiellini who's just about to hit his prime, cut down on the mistakes and become a wall, or he could be a Smalling who got lucky....i really can't tell for sure which one...
Sounds worrying.. :(

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Would be him signing a new contract, makes you leaning to the former perhaps?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That's why it makes nonsense to me. Too of a risk and we'd be buying based on name which we always do badly.

Go for someone younger, or wait imo. On paper he is wonderful but timing seems off.

Monger

He is good enough to be both Madrid and France's first choice CB. Madrid even offering him the captains armband to convince him to stay...... but somehow he's not good enough for Man United???

Likelyhood is he is testing the water to boost his RM contract negotiations but for people to dismiss him as not good enough is laughable.

theklr

Its not like any of the alternatives (Torres, Kounde) comes without any risk . Every transfer is a risk, but anyone as proven as Varane does automatically feel like it is a lesser risk.

He’d also have a good relationship with Pogba and Martial which means he will settle in easier

Status
Not open for further replies.