Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He won’t be going for more than 35m with one year left on his contract. 27 years old. It’s a no brainier isn’t it? Quick, great in the air and good on the ball.
Yep it's a no brainer for me if he's available for around 40 million euros. World class, only 27 and a proven winner.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Can see him at Chelsea if he ever leaves Madrid.

Personally, I think this is all contract games though.

SATA

This is the elite defender we should be signing instead of Sergio Ramos. Quick, attainable, a leader and in his prime age now. I'm just not sure about his recent injury record though

Tom Van Persie

No relation
David Ornstein said on his podcast last week that Madrid are doing everything they can to convince him to stay and might offer him the captaincy with Ramos expected to leave in the summer.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
For 30/40 million we should be all over this.

Then buy Haaland.

SuperiorXI

He'd be perfect for us. Still not sold on Maguire but he can be tested next to Varane and it might just work.

Can't see RM letting him go though, feel like we'll be let down with this one.

If we can get him, Haaland and Sancho then it's fecking on.

Judas

Open to offers
Doesn't Varane often look dreadful when he's not next to Ramos? He's never struck me as a leader, but he'd obviously be an upgrade on our current options.

Ekeke

Part of the 3rd best defence in La Liga. Consider that Sociedad who we just played twice scoring 4 and then 0 against them have the 4th best defensive record with 1 more goal conceded than Madrid in the same amount of matches. Madrid have also scored just 1 more goal than them.

Last season Madrid conceeded the least goals, but the season before that they had the 7th best defensive record in La Liga. All of these are with Ramos and Varane

I'd take him because hes better than Lindelof but I don't think hes a top tier CB and he isnt that consistent

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m pretty sure we/Woodward has been a big fan of Varane for a while. If he’s genuinely available, we will definitely pursue aggressively.

How good is he these days? Might be up for debate but at the very least he’s basically won everything there is to win and he’s still at a decent age for a CB. Players of that level tend to have just that little something more; you can see it with Cavani - who it’s just a shame is at the wrong age and fitness level for it to fully blossom.

Seems it’s pretty clear the choice is either someone as experienced as Varane, or yet another young and talented but not entirely proven quality like Kounde, Milenkovic, Konate etc.

Redlyn

There's no chance of that amount of expenditure.

Too little or too much? I think it's fair for their prized asset. Just like if Pogba goes this summer we would want a decent amount.

I read somewhere that Real wants £70m. I chuckled. No one is paying that much rather than wait six months get him on a pre contract and six more and he's yours for the price of a sign on bonus.

Edit: oh ok, I see now you meant including haaland.

SwedishFish

If he's available then we shouldn't hesitate. Would be a fantastic addition to the rotation.

RUCK4444

We should absolutely go for him if it’s possible.

Get Varane and also one of these French young CB’s that are all over Europe at the minute.

I really like the look of Fofana at Leicester but they’ve robbed us of enough cash already the feckers

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
140m? Why? We can raise the Varane fee in sales.
I don't think you fully appreciate that clubs haven't got any money. Clubs needed fans back this season to have a big transfer kitty this summer.

I think it will be a quiet one again for most. The odd move here and there of course but don't see it going silly.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Seems like a very Ed signing.

Really don't think he's a premier league-type defender to be honest.

Would much rather we find a younger, hungrier, more physical player with it all to prove.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Will he be available though? Why would Real want to let him go?

lysglimt

Scout
Doesn't Varane often look dreadful when he's not next to Ramos? He's never struck me as a leader, but he'd obviously be an upgrade on our current options.
Varane has never had Ramos for France, and he certainly hasn't looked dreadful

Giggsy13

The MEN article stinks of an agent leak to Luckhurst. If he does leave, Chelsea and PSG are probably top of the list with Juve probably being a distant 3rd only because of financial restrictions due to Covid. I’m sure we’d retain an interest, we always do, whether we act on that is always an issue. We can only hope we’ve taken the next step and are now monitoring the situation. We all know there are multiple steps to go thru after. #retainaninterestFC#monitoringFC

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but his career honors and awards are very impressive (3 times La Liga, 1 time World Cup, 4 times Champions League). That track record pretty much speaks for itself.
Imagine we have to consider Navas as an all-time great GK?

Machine Elements

The amount of people on here who turn their noses up at a player like Varane :lol: Only on Redcafe.

Also, if we ever get him, he should be a partner for Bailly. Not the current clowns at CB.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I have to say that I haven't seen him or Madrid in a while, how is his fitness? It's a bit insane that the guy is still only 27 years old!
I was a huge fan of his when he was younger (basically since the moment that we've been originally linked up with him) and on paper he has all attributes to be a perfect centre-back: fantastic in the air, fast, positionally smart and a great tackler. The only potential issue can be his motivation, but I can't judge that.

It can be realistic — Bayern has confirmed that Alaba is leaving, he wants to play in Spain and Barca isn't going to be able to afford him. He'll ask for huge wages and I won't be surprised if Madrid will be willing to part with Varane (seeing as his contract is running out) to partly finance the move.

RkkMan

David Ornstein said on his podcast last week that Madrid are doing everything they can to convince him to stay and might offer him the captaincy with Ramos expected to leave in the summer.
That MEN article also mentions he`s been offered the captaincy but the salary difference is where the problem is at

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have to say that I haven't seen him or Madrid in a while, how is his fitness? It's a bit insane that the guy is still only 27 years old!
I was a huge fan of his when he was younger (basically since the moment that we've been originally linked up with him) and on paper he has all attributes to be a perfect centre-back: fantastic in the air, fast, positionally smart and a great tackler. The only potential issue can be his motivation, but I can't judge that.

It can be realistic — Bayern has confirmed that Alaba is leaving, he wants to play in Spain and Barca isn't going to be able to afford him. He'll ask for huge wages and I won't be surprised if Madrid will be willing to part with Varane (seeing as his contract is running out) to partly finance the move.
Is it? How many years have you aged during the same timeframe? :)

RkkMan

Always the money....
He`s turning 28 so it`ll be his last big contract at top level he`ll obviously want the best deal possible as he enters the last phase of his prime years even if it means getting the deal elsewhere

flappyjay

Obviously I was talking about when playing for Real Madrid, didn't think I'd need to spell that out, but oh well.
Yeah this place would go nuts if he put out the performances he has put out for madrid especially when Ramos is unavailable.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is it? How many years have you aged during the same timeframe? :)
I'm sure you know what I mean :) He's been at Madrid for a decade now, and I definitely have a feeling that his masterclass against Barcelona happened a long, long time ago (far earlier than it happened actually). He also has a trophy cabinet of an all-time great defender (even though it may be a bit early to put him at that level). All at the age of 27 — he's just a few months younger than Lingard, ffs!

Uncalled for.
It's alright :)

Bertie Wooster

He's got good physical attributes and a success of winning and I think he'd definitely be as good a centre back signing as we could get at this stage - especially as his contract is nearing an end and he'd be much cheaper than usual for a player of his ability and experience.

However I don't expect it to happen. I imagine it's either just paper talk, or another example of a players agent using us in new contract negotiations. I think it's much more likely he'll stay at Madrid than join us. If he does leave, I'd expect to see him go to to the likes of Bayern, PSG, City, Liverpool, Chelsea before us.

I think there's just been too many examples like this that have gone nowhere, or ended up at those clubs, and I now just treat all those links with doubts and suspicion. I'd love it to happen. But I doubt it will.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Straight swap with Pogba going the other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.