Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ave-Real-Madrid-new-challenge-end-season.html

Apparently he wants a new challenge, not sure on what his form has been like this season but he definitely ticks all the boxes for what we need in a centre back if he’s at his best.

With a year on his contract I can’t imagine Real would want more than £40 million and at 27 he’s approaching his prime years as a centre back, his experience at the very highest level and winning mentality COULD be invaluable.

LoneStar

I know he was extremely highly rated a couple of years ago. How has he been recently? Is he consistent, a leader on the pitch, or are they dependent more on Ramos?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's horrendously out of form isn't he? I know Ed is supposed to be pretty obsessed with signing him, so wouldn't surprise me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's young enough to get out of his funk, isn't he?

But yes, the question of how much influence Ramos had on this brilliant pairing is legitimate.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's not really a leader but he's a top class centre back when on form and injury free. I can't imagine this is anything other than posturing on his behalf to get a new contract.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wouldn’t surprise me if we did it. Everyone at the club really like him, and I think he’s still young enough to recapture top form. Probably needs a change of scenery to refocus himself.

binary bot
We've seen this scenario about 10x now. Likely to be the biggest contract of his career and he's trying to maximise it. Although he's in bad form, Ramos is 34 and Madrid will have a few players to replace in the coming windows. They'll pay him eventually.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Madrid don't have money to give him (and Ramos) a big pay rise. Could be legit.

RkkMan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ave-Real-Madrid-new-challenge-end-season.html

Apparently he wants a new challenge, not sure on what his form has been like this season but he definitely ticks all the boxes for what we need in a centre back if he’s at his best.

With a year on his contract I can’t imagine Real would want more than £40 million and at 27 he’s approaching his prime years as a centre back, his experience at the very highest level and winning mentality COULD be invaluable.
I`ve had a feeling for 2 years now he`d eventually leave Madrid had a similar feeling Alaba would eventually leave Bayern a while back too there were stories 2/3 years ago of him thinking of a new challenge away from Bayern mind you
Varane has literally achieved EVERYTHING at Madrid and he`s not a Spanish homegrown player like Puyol/Ramos who can stay in Spain all his career he was eventually going to stagnate only way he reinvigorates himself is at another team especially if Ramos signs a new deal and Varane arrives at the same time Utd should be all over this

RkkMan

We've seen this scenario about 10x now. Likely to be the biggest contract of his career and he's trying to maximise it. Although he's in bad form, Ramos is 34 and Madrid will have a few players to replace in the coming windows. They'll pay him eventually.
Dont think this is just about the money he`s stagnated form wise for a while now and like Alaba has achieved everything at his team it can make you go a little stale wouldn`t shock me if he genuinely wants a new challenge like The Austrian himself. If Ramos signs a new deal on top of Alaba arriving there may be a chance he`s available

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I always thought he was a good player but not a great player.

Ramos maybe isnt exactly a defensive phenomenon - yet I felt like Ramos made Varane look better the same way that John Stones looks like a new player next to Dias at City.

I guess he is better than the majority of the defenders we have so it's not much to complain about and he isnt exactly looking like a expensive player either. Would love to buy him and have him be that world class Varane everyone thought he always was.

How quick is he?!

can’t believe he’s only 27. Think we bought Jones the same summer, and both were similarly rated.

Could be worth the the risk. Equal chance of him being a great signing or a complete disaster.

Kyonn

How quick is he?!

can’t believe he’s only 27. Think we bought Jones the same summer, and both were similarly rated.

Could be worth the the risk. Equal chance of him being a great signing or a complete disaster.
Yep, he turned us down because he didn't want to compete with Jones. (Not joking)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Are you a Madrid fan or something?
We are looking for a CB and they are looking for midfielder. Both has one year of contract remaining. No one is going to pay the money we are expecting for Pogba.
This is the best we can get tbh.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Interesting. Do you think he would work at United? Could he be a great partner to Maguire?
No idea, haven't seen much of him the last couple of years, but apparantly his form has nosedived lately, like fallen of a cliff.

In theory he should be the perfect partner for Maguire, as should Bailly mind you.

Don't know about Ole but Woodward is a big big fan, for sure.

Interesting "fact"; apparantly Varane is a boyhood Man Utd supporter and his favourite player was Rio Ferdinand.

Varane digs Rio, perhaps.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Let me guess, is he due a new contract at Madrid by any chance?

tjb

TBH think he gets a bit too much credit. When Ramos is out, he gets exposed too much for my liking. He's one of those scary players where you sign and realize you may have wasted the money.

SAFMUTD

We are looking for a CB and they are looking for midfielder. Both has one year of contract remaining. No one is going to pay the money we are expecting for Pogba.
Have you seen Varane lately? He's a mess.

mu4c_20le

I remember Mourinho wanted him. If there is an opportunity for a cut price we should seriously consider it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His problem seems to be his mentality when it matters. Not a leader and often making poor or strange decision making. You can tell that he looks clueless or lost when Ramos is not next to him. I won't be surprised if we end up going for him because I heard couple months ago that Varane is with Upamecano in our centre back list, Ed and our scouts seem to be obsessed want to land him here if available.

Tomics

Imo not aggressive enough, I want someone aggressive and combative. I always feel he is similar to Linderlof just faster

Idxomer

Pogba is much more valuable than him.

dal

In Bailly, Maguire and Lindelof we can get by, by mixing and matching however in the elite level games I feel Ole can’t risk Bailly as he could make an unforced error and we have to play deeper with Lindelof because of recovery pace.

The problem is it’s very difficult to sign a defender and be sure from outside the premier league, I can’t see the club splashing out over £40 million for an overseas defender.

I actually think all things considered we won’t go for a central defender in the next 2-3 years and if we do they will be premiership proven or a real talent <22.

Status
Not open for further replies.