Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makelele

Ending his career? He is 28!
For heavens sake he is in his prime. We don’t need a 21 year old that needs time. This guy is the finished article. Weird comment
Actually he is just about to enter his prime IMO. Great buy for most teams. Reminds me a little of Carvalho.

Makelele

He’s a very good footballer but I don’t think he’s a very good centre back. He lacks all of the physical & aerial attributes needed, particularly in the PL. The type who would look mustard in La Liga for Barca then get exposed badly in the CL.
Needs to be paired with the right player. He would be amazing next to Maguire IMO.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Actually he is just about to enter his prime IMO. Great buy for most teams. Reminds me a little of Carvalho.
He’s a top player and would instantly improve us tenfold. I think we have enough youngsters coming through. It’s time to buy at the top end of the market if we want to get to the next level. If we want to win the PL next season we really need to show some intent in the market.

mu4c_20le

Personally I think his prime was 2016-2019. Still want him though. He should have another 2-3 good years at the highest level, and I'd rather we sign quality rather than another will he/won't he like Bailly and Lindelof.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well why do we play two defensive midfielders who's job is to just sit in front of him and maguire then? Then that forces us to ludicrously play pogba on the wing etc.
Playing two midfielders is on Ole and he can't be responsible for it. Even if you give VVD to Ole he would still play 2 box to box.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Under rated? He's doesn't excel at anything.

Is he quick? No
Is he strong? No
Is he good in the air? No
Is he a leader? No

The only aspect of Lindelof's game that is adequate or better is that he's pretty decent on the ball most of the time. That's about it.
He is positionally good , composed and reasonable on tackle as well. Yes, not the best CB we can get but he is much better than what people think here. If you are willing to give credit to our defense this season, Lindelof was part of it. Take that however way you want !

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Needs to be paired with the right player. He would be amazing next to Maguire IMO.
We've had enough "needs the right partner", "needs to play in a different position", "needs legs around him" merchants over the last few years thank you.

We've had enough "needs the right partner", "needs to play in a different position", "needs legs around him" merchants over the last few years thank you.
but if we’ve already got the right partner in place as @Makelele says, then that’s pretty irrelevant?

whether that’s the case or not… I don’t know.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
In theory he should be the perfect partner for Maguire.

Just like Bailly is..

Silas

And then Real Madrid turns around and spend that money on Kounde? Feels like a mistake. With Ferguson, we used to be on the selling side of those deals.
Kounde isn't costing £40m.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
News is obviously going to come out today because the need for a CB was displayed last night. I don’t believe it all personally.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
News is obviously going to come out today because the need for a CB was displayed last night. I don’t believe it all personally.
Always happens after a poor result. Whether that's United doing or the press just see this as a opportunity for easy clicks is another thing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And then Real Madrid turns around and spend that money on Kounde? Feels like a mistake. With Ferguson, we used to be on the selling side of those deals.
Kounde would probably be cheaper too, if you factor in the wages that Varane is wanting.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't disagree, however the problem is if we're looking to keep pace with City we need proven talent to come in straight away.
We can't afford Kounde coming in and needling time to acclimate to the PL and a higher level of opposition with a higher level of accountability that being at a top club brings.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From what I've heard about Kounde, he seems the better option. But I haven't seen La Liga enough for these two players of late.

Kounde I know is quite functional and can operate at right back and DM too, so I like the flexibility and he always looks quite comfortable driving through into midfield. Varane is obviously a very good player too, but I'm just unsure whether he's a better option.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And the number of years we could depreciate that transfer fee over...
Real Madrid will likely do just that.

But I'm not saying I'm against the signing of Varane but my preference would've been to go after a younger CB.

chris123

Varane would be a great signing/partner for Maguire, but the exact same issues would arise if Maguire got injured IMO. I still wouldn't totally trust a Varane/Lindelof partnership.

But at 40M it's good business, and hopefully would still allow two other signings. *If* it is true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not seem enough of Kounde but can see he's only 178 cm. That could be an issue.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Have to say I had my heart set on a no nonsense bruiser who can win a fecking header for once. Not so keen on basically a slightly better Lindelof, and I’ve always thought Varane was a bit overrated anyway. Chelsea gave him a hard time the other week.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes please. Him and Maguire would make me rock solid in my opinion.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Whenever I see Varane against English sides his weaknesses are quite apparent.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think it'll happen, and I can't say I'm 100% convinced he'd be a success either. He's a great player, I think him with Maguire would be brilliant. But do I think he'd turn Lindelof or Bailly into better defenders if Harry was out again? Really unsure.

I said it awhile back, this one sets off alarm bells for me. Could come in and be brilliant though and make me look like a total fool.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't think it'll happen, and I can say I'm 100% convinced he'd be a success either. He's a great player, I think him with Maguire would be brilliant. But do I think he'd turn Lindelof or Bailly into better defenders if Harry was out again? Really unsure.

I said it awhile back, this one sets off alarm bells for me. Could come in and be brilliant though and make me look like a total fool.
This is an issue I have. We could put Baresi back there, but without the right coaching he’ll end up looking like a muppet as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What are they? On paper he’s strong in the air, fast and good on the ball. I haven’t seen him much the last few years though.
Honestly I find him to be alittle awkward on the ball, which seems like a left-field opinion on him as various people suggest that this is actually his strongest attribute.

I do find him lacking in aggression too, which I think is a major issue with the Maguire and Lindelof partnership. Someone like Baily has the aggression but not the nous.

We need a CB like Vidic/Terry/Stam/Puyol. Someone who really enjoys the dirtier side of the game.

I think with Varane you'd be getting a upgrade on Lindelof with similar attributes but not necessarily the type of CB we need, if that makes sense.

I would prefer Kounde. I see alot of similarities in his game with Puyol. Who was a somewhat underrated CB.

Swedish_Plumber

Why we signing an injury prone defender? I know he’s fantastic but there’s no point splashing the cash to find Maguire back with lindelof/Bailly after a month.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would he be a good signing for us @carvajal ? And how has he performed for you this season? Your response would be much appreciated including yours @giorno

spiriticon

Good signing for 40 million I think. I still remember his great performances against us in 2012.

Just hope he can stay fit.

Matthew84!

It's obvious he's a step up from Lindelof, everyone has seen how many goals he's cost us, another plus is he's friends with Pogba, would be a good signing if its true.
If it isn't Lindelof still needs to be replaced.

Polar

Can’t see us getting better CB’s between £40-50m.

Varane give us 2-3 years to bring in a young talented CB who can get smooth matching and gradually step into our XI. It also gives Tuanzebe more time to develop, and he also has the potential to be our regular CB (XI), but he needs more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.