Raphael Varane injury | Expected to be out 3-4 weeks

Withnail

You don't think it's connected. Player can't run due to groin injury for 3 weeks. Ole then plays him twice in 3 days, hence easy to pick up another injury
The point is that is all pure speculation. Yes the manager is on his last legs and yes he has rushed players back, most notably Harry Maguire recently but the evidence isn't there for this one.

It does seem like Varane is injury prone as some had feared.

always_hoping

He had a bad period 16-18 looking at his history but good since then. I just don't get why we risked him when a back 5 wasn't needed, City are this weekend and he'd just come back so wouldn't have been 100% match fit.
He missed a few games after getting Covid last season and if I recall right missed the important 2nd leg v Chelsea due to injury.

Wasn't he back in training for a few weeks before returning to the starting team from his groin injury?

Confirmed to be a month out now so that's him out of City, Watford, Chelsea, Villarreal and Arsenal games before he returns to starting team.

tomaldinho1

He missed a few games after getting Covid last season and if I recall right missed the important 2nd leg v Chelsea due to injury.

Wasn't he back in training for a few weeks before returning to the starting team from his groin injury?

Confirmed to be a month out now so that's him out of City, Watford, Chelsea, Villarreal and Arsenal games before he returns to starting team.
Yh I think we’ve just lost a bit of faith with our medical team and then there’s also the fact that Ole has rushed players back before (I do think this is more on the medical team although it is common sense). From memory in the last 3 years Martial, Lingard reaggravated the same injuries, Maguire definitely hasn’t been fit for many games, Rashford played through injury for ages and got surgery at the end of the season, Cavani is just fecked, Jones is a phantom, Bailly is always crocked…then you add in the stories about Lukaku’s digestion problem going unnoticed and there was another one like that as well. We just seem a bit suspect on the sports science/innovation front.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Id play Bailly over Lindeløf and Maguire any day. Him and Varane would be hard to get past.

Yes he is alittle kamikaze but is that not why we loved Vidic?

Bailly deserves more chances than he gets.
Bailly was good last night and deserves his chance, but is too rash at times and Vidic wasn’t similar at all in how he defended

The injury - he suffered a hip adductor injury for France, and this is a hamstring. They are right next to each other and parts of the muscle groups overlap with each other. Maybe it is unrelated, but if one is not quite healed fully the other could definitely be taking extra strain to compensate. They are really very closely related muscle groups.

Whose fault is it? Being cleared fit is not black or white. The medical staff will have an opinion that he could play, but it would be taking a risk to do so. The coaches can then lean on the medical staff and the player to get him to take that risk.

Looking at Ole's track record, I'd guess he was banging the doctors' door down to get him to let Varane play. And now he's out for another month.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Id play Bailly over Lindeløf and Maguire any day. Him and Varane would be hard to get past.

Yes he is alittle kamikaze but is that not why we loved Vidic?

Bailly deserves more chances than he gets.
I don't rate Bailly as highly as yourself but it might be worth testing out the combinations. Our centrebacks haven't been flawless this year so why not.

I'm a little skeptical though because of situations like the time we lost 6-1 to Spurs, where Bailly did play and looked massively hopeless (Maguire also IIRC).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
First injury was his groin.

He recovered from that, was fine against Spurs and now injured his hamstring.

Some of you are in danger of becoming a parody at this stage.
I didn't really look at the other quotes from your post, but I'll say that Ole's mismanagement of players' fitness and injury recovery is my biggest gripe about his management and there's good reason. I did think after the Spurs game that it would probably be most sensible to rest Varane and Cavani (given the latter's shift and age). I mean, he's been playing a non-fit Maguire for a while now and it's not looked a great decision, even in the short-term.

Yes, a different injury, but when you've been out of training for a while and then play 2 games in 5 days, including traveling abroad, it's risky. And with Varane, he's not a sick note, but he does pick up injuries every season, so best to nurse him back sensibly.

red4ever 79

I didn't really look at the other quotes from your post, but I'll say that Ole's mismanagement of players' fitness and injury recovery is my biggest gripe about his management and there's good reason. I did think after the Spurs game that it would probably be most sensible to rest Varane and Cavani (given the latter's shift and age). I mean, he's been playing a non-fit Maguire for a while now and it's not looked a great decision, even in the short-term.

Yes, a different injury, but when you've been out of training for a while and then play 2 games in 5 days, including traveling abroad, it's risky. And with Varane, he's not a sick note, but he does pick up injuries every season, so best to nurse him back sensibly.
2 in 3 days

AlexUTD

Bailly was good last night and deserves his chance, but is too rash at times and Vidic wasn’t similar at all in how he defended
Well Vidic threw himself infront of the ball like Bailly did yesterday. Of course they are different but the attitude is similar.

I don't rate Bailly as highly as yourself but it might be worth testing out the combinations. Our centrebacks haven't been flawless this year so why not.

I'm a little skeptical though because of situations like the time we lost 6-1 to Spurs, where Bailly did play and looked massively hopeless (Maguire also IIRC).
Yes i know Bailly has had some brain farts but he has alot of good attributes that the defence has been lacking and i remember Bailly when he came to the club. When starting regularly he was much more stable.

Well i think he deserves a chance, and hey can it possibly get any worse?

Jibbs

I hope the miserable cloud over united is gone by the time Varane returns.

Blood Mage

I swear to god if Ole ruins him by constantly rushing him back from injury. I'm convinced that's what's happened with Maguire and Shaw.

Oranges038

The injury - he suffered a hip adductor injury for France, and this is a hamstring. They are right next to each other and parts of the muscle groups overlap with each other. Maybe it is unrelated, but if one is not quite healed fully the other could definitely be taking extra strain to compensate. They are really very closely related muscle groups.

Whose fault is it? Being cleared fit is not black or white. The medical staff will have an opinion that he could play, but it would be taking a risk to do so. The coaches can then lean on the medical staff and the player to get him to take that risk.

Looking at Ole's track record, I'd guess he was banging the doctors' door down to get him to let Varane play. And now he's out for another month.
After I saw some other comments I was just going to post something similar. Definitely if you have an injury like that, other muscles in the area compensate and it puts extra strain there.

If he already got through one game unscathed, then it's not unreasonable to believe he was fit to play another game a few days later. The ideal solution is to let him recover properly to prevent another injury so soon after. I'd say if Lindelof hadn't been injured he probably wouldn't have played.

Withnail

Well to be fair I did see your post and consider taking it out as it wasn't really like the rest.

Yeah he has rushed players back and you'll find no argument from me that Maguire's horrific form is most likely down to being rushed back but I don't think he did that with Varane.

There's just a bit of a rush to blame Ole for everything at the moment. We don't know - the player and the medical staff could all have said he was fine to play.

big rons sovereign

What is it with United and defenders made of balsa wood?
Feels like it's been this way for at least 20 years.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s a combination that in theory is our best if we want to play with a high line back 4. Both have pace to burn, physical enough in the challenge, Varane’s natural tendency to sit back would augment Bailly’s gung-ho style well, and the latter might well not committed himself to overly rash challenges if he feels his partner can bail him out even if he gets beaten. The weaknesses would be aerial prowess and injuries, the former is a big issue given De Gea’s hopelessness in the air, but that can be remedied partly by being aggressive enough to avoid tussles in our own box from set pieces.

In an ideal world, Bailly can head the ball and isn’t made of glass, then we would be sorted. If we are looking for another CB anytime soon, that’s the mould of player we should go for.

TheLord

With Varane, we have to accept the recurring niggling injuries. Madrid wouldn't have let go one of the finest centre-backs in the game so easily, otherwise.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was watching one of those preview videos from some random on tiktok and he'd predicted Varane would miss loads of games injured.

Unfortunately that's looking an inspired prediction.

Only positive is the international break taking a couple of weeks of it.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

It's quite hard to play into form when you're being thrown into games all of a sudden and expected to perform, especially as centreback where cohesion with your backline and goalkeeper is very important.

Ekeke

A CB who could stay fit should have been among the top considerations for the CB we signed last summer

Judas

Open to offers
Not a surprise that so many decide to ignore Varane's history to get more digs in at Ole. The bloke does seem to rush players back, but we all knew Varane's injury record before he was signed and it's always been a concern.

Meep

Everybody saying that he was rushed back - was this even the same injury? According to the statement on the club website the injury he got last month was a groin injury. Whereas this one was his hamstring. Obviously it could be somewhat related, but more likely than not it's unrelated.
My guess is that the internet warriors don't even know (or care) if it is the same leg.

youngrell

Can only imagine the reactions on Tuesday had Ole started with Maguire and Bailly.

Some of you need to take a break.

RedIan

Absolutely Gutted he’s out injured again.
on the Atalanta match it’s Eric before Lindelof now for the Derby - (if we are going back to a back 4.)
Maguires been very poor since his return but you just know ole will never drop him.

Josh 76

He will only miss the City game and should be back after the international break.

RUCK4444

Its going to be tricky going next few weeks. Magure has been bad since the start of the season
Mad that after the season we've had so far that only now will it get real tricky :lol: :(

We will miss Varane massively, hopefully the international break minimises the amount of games he misses for us. He makes a huge difference to the team, in both quality and the calmness he brings to that defence.

owlo

Varane was cleared to play by the Manchester United medical staff
erm no, not how it works.

Medical team assess and present risk. Manager decides what risk is acceptable. (Subject to insurance guidelines)

owlo

The point is that is all pure speculation. Yes the manager is on his last legs and yes he has rushed players back, most notably Harry Maguire recently but the evidence isn't there for this one.
Pretty much this. we aren’t privy what happened behind the scenes, and likely won’t be until the manager is gone and some of the players leave/retire

Siezard

Kane sux now. Bailly was running hard while Maguire with his usual mistake. Oh wait Maguire was united best defender last season.

A good turnaround now with the CR7 masterstroke purchase.