Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskeano

It's vital to have a guy like Varane in your squad and back four just from the experience side alone. He'll bring a massive calming influence to the defense but more importantly he'll be able to help AWB with his shit positional play and be able to cover up those mistakes which Lindelof and Bailly couldn't.

He's clearly better in the air then either of those two and he's better on the ball as well. This is clearly a massive upgrade in talent defensively and shows a great sign of intent for the season.

Ole might take a bit of the hand brake off the lads now and go with one sitting player against teams from the bottom half of the table.

Shiva87

Do me a favor and watch this:
Best United Comebacks 20/21

It is easy to overlook how many chances and goals Lindelof consistently gives away. So happy with the Varane signing.
Agree with this. Also, Lindelof has made a mistake leading to a goal in almost all of our semi final losses over the last 2 years. The fight on the pitch between him and Bruno comes to mind against Sevilla.

Judas

Open to offers
Agree with this. Also, Lindelof has made a mistake leading to a goal in almost all of our semi final losses over the last 2 years. The fight on the pitch between him and Bruno comes to mind against Sevilla.
Honestly Lindelof was a mistake full stop. One of the worst starting centre backs we've had in a very very long time.

SATA

The worst buy by Jose of Lindelof. Little wonder the board didn't let him spend another pound on another centreback after Eric Bailly

Can't wait to see Varane's debut. Him and Maguire as a partnership will be surreal :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
The worst buy by Jose of Lindelof. Little wonder the board didn't let him spend another pound on another centreback after Eric Bailly

Can't wait to see Varane's debut. Him and Maguire as a partnership will be surreal :drool:
Strange considering that Jose signed also Bailly and Mkhitaryan who were far worse than Lindelof.

sp_107

Why cant we sell Baily / Lindelof for 30M and use that to get a better CD who can contribute more

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

In hindsight not many of Jose's signings did what they said on the tin did they?

Bailly
Mhkitaryan
Lindelof
Matic
Lukaku
Sanchez
Dalot
Fred

I mean the only unequivocal success signing he had was Zlatan on a free transfer (I won't usher Paul Labile's name)

Tallis

Sanchez was the worst signing made by Jose.
Possibly the worst signing in Utd history.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sanchez too.
True. And Matic hasn’t been that great either.

Would say that Ibra, Pogba and Lukaku (yes) were better signings, he is on par with Matic and Fred, with Dalot, Bailly, Mkhitaryan and Sanchez being disasters.

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
Honestly Lindelof was a mistake full stop. One of the worst starting centre backs we've had in a very very long time.
He's had very good games as well. Why does everything has to be either black or white.

Varane looks an upgrade no doubt, but Lindelof isn't a constant shitshow. He's also still a part of Man United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's had very good games as well. Why does everything has to be either black or white.

Varane looks an upgrade no doubt, but Lindelof isn't a constant shitshow. He's also still a part of Man United.
He was/is a starting Cb for Manchester United. He’s had more than enough games for us to identify that he’s not good enough and prone to errors

Revan

Assumptionman
He was/is a starting Cb for Manchester United. He’s had more than enough games for us to identify that he’s not good enough and prone to errors
He is still our second best CB in post Fergie era. And while I agree that he is not good enough to start, he is good enough to be our third choice CB.

Swearing Budgie

How many times better is Varane than Lindelof?

Is he 3x better or just 2x?

Maybe he is something 1.6x better.

spiriticon

Sanchez was the worst signing made by Jose.
Possibly the worst signing in Utd history.
It's a close one but I think the Di Maria signing tops that. He absolutely never wanted to come and treated us like his stopover to the next destination

I am so glad the Disneyland era is behind us and that we are now signing players who genuinely want to be here.

golden_blunder

Staff
He is still our second best CB in post Fergie era. And while I agree that he is not good enough to start, he is good enough to be our third choice CB.
As long as 3rd spot means on the bench and rarely seen. For me, he’s been our main weak spot for a few years so delighted that we are finally addressing it and i won’t have to listen to people making constant excuses for an average defender

SATA

It's a close one but I think the Di Maria signing tops that. He absolutely never wanted to come and treated us like his stopover to the next destination

I am so glad the Disneyland era is behind us and that we are now signing players who genuinely want to be here.
Di Maria was great when he first came but Louis just didn't know how to manage him. He gradually grew tired of life in Manchester after the house break-in too. Was a waste as he would be brilliant under the tactics and management of Fergie and Ole. Besides we got most of our money back from PSG who bought him

spiriticon

Jones also has had a few good games and is still part of United, but I'm happy to report that he is shite. Like Lindelof.

Shite is shite, there's no black or white to it. Maybe some brown.

Revan

Assumptionman
As long as 3rd spot means on the bench and rarely seen. For me, he’s been our main weak spot for a few years so delighted that we are finally addressing it and i won’t have to listen to people making constant excuses for an average defender
I hope we don’t have much to see him, which would mean that Varane and Maguire are both fit and playing well. However, I would rather see him than our other CBs (Bailly, Tuanzebe or God-forbid Jones).

I remember you had an obsession with him. :)

11 forwards

Supports
Rosenborg
If he was as crappy as suggested, he wouldn't have had 111 matches, simple as that really.

I'm all in for the upgrade thing, I just don't get the downgrade thing.

bosskeano

If he was as crappy as suggested, he wouldn't have had 111 matches, simple as that really.

that's also partly b/c Bailly couldn't stay healthy so we didn't have an alternative. i think bailly would have been the partner for maguire if he was fit most of the time

A-man

I have not spoken definitively on what kind of player Varane is. Simply that he has qualities that could be attributed to both Rio or Vidic, and this was in the context of someone saying he’d be our new Rio and Maguire our new Vidic. Now if you’re saying that along with your poor reading comprehension you can’t contextualise things then so be it.

My words were that Maguire is closer to Ferdinand than to Vidic in playstyle. That’s point one. Point two being that out of Maguire and Varane, Varane is closer to Vidic. Not that Varane plays or is like Vidic. Pretty easy to understand, but alas
Easy to understand but wrong.

Revan

Assumptionman
that's also partly b/c Bailly couldn't stay healthy so we didn't have an alternative. i think bailly would have been the partner for maguire if he was fit most of the time
Even when Bailly was fit, Lindelof was starting. Probably cause Bailly was a total disaster most of the time.

golden_blunder

Staff

Downgrade? I’ve been saying the same since day 1! I have no idea why we bought him for 30m never mind played so much. I’d suggest if not for Baillys lack of fitness he’d have taken a big portion of those games

roseguy64

Nope. That would be Smalling.

Considering how shaky Lindelof was his first two seasons, I'd rate him on the same level as Blind. Jones, Bailly, Rojo and Tuanzebe on the level below.

pixel

In hindsight not many of Jose's signings did what they said on the tin did they?

Bailly
Mhkitaryan
Lindelof
Matic
Lukaku
Sanchez
Dalot
Fred

I mean the only unequivocal success signing he had was Zlatan on a free transfer (I won't usher Paul Labile's name)
Matic has been decent

bosskeano

We haven't made a solid CB purchase at United since Vidic, bar Maguire, and it's cost us dearly. It's time to make certain defensively we are solid so the players up front feel comfortable enough taking some risks to go score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.