Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
@GatoLoco Is this Calabres guy the same one you said was one of the most reliable sources for Real?
Yes.

Edit: to be strict, what I said is that he's very well connected, which is actually a slightly different thing.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
@NYAS

If I had to choose the most reliable journalist that would be Tomas Gonzalez who works for newspaper ABC.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
So what you're saying is, he's well connected with unreliable people?
:D
He knows what he talks about but if something does not happen it's not necessarily because he was not informed in the first place. I think he's reliable as far as Varane goes.

RC89

Is there any reason to think this is any more than a Ramos ' I want a pay rise but not really leaving till I'm 35' type rumour?
Quite possibly, but I think the distinct difference here is that he may not actually get the pay rise he's looking for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can't imagine how much Mbappe wants to get paid (by Real). THey must have some sort of agreement already.

Tapori

You mean like this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/muppetiers/

Or like this?
https://twitter.com/Muppetiers?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Or could it be?
https://www.muppetiers.com/

Motion to dismiss with prejudice for failure to state a claim, your honor
Objection.
Oh dear. It's Muppet. Always has been.
I am fully aware of Muppetier and its use and its total lack of self-deprecation by coining some psuedo-hereoic-reddit level term, is in of itself not being a Muppet.
Who can forget such classic Muppet moments like:

Berbatov
Sneijder
Obi Mikel
Hazard
Gaitan
Kluivert
Batistuta

Anyone even tacitly posting on this forum on transfers is a Muppet. You're a Muppet, This thread is full of Muppets. We're all Muppets.

Bobade

Players 'wanting' to play for a particular team is a myth in modern football. There may be some exceptions but that's it.
Of course it isn't a myth. Players will be attracted to the play style, history, management, other players, the league of any certain club. They will have preferences based on the city they want to live in, and the country. Thinking that they all move purely for the money is the myth.

GoldanoGraham

Any ideas when Varane is back from his holidays so this can actually gather some credible traction - at the moment it’s just smoke and mirrors with the likely scenario of him getting a better contract and staying at Madrid……unless we hear a definitive he’s rejected all offers from Madrid then it’s safe to assume it’s the usual agent tactic of using us as leverage….you never know - we may be also using this as a smokescreen to work on someone else?

Siorac

If Varane has to think long and hard about a 50% pay raise, maybe he doesn't really wanna play for us.
If the reports are true about the wage we offered. They might not be.

But even if they are. He still has to think about moving to a different country and he might have a family to consider, too. Also, he would leave a team that's always in contention for the big prizes for one that hasn't won any trophy in four years and hasn't been anywhere near one of the two major ones for almost a decade. Yes, he's already won everything but he might still want to win more stuff.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Now Varane is wrapped up, who are we onto next?

RUCK4444

We all just having a bit of fun saying this is wrapped up eh lads?

I’ve been out of the loop for a day in work. Can’t see any major developments?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Actually had a dream of him lining up next to HM in that little prematch lineup animation, so he's coming home lads

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From most reports it seems pretty clear.

Varane would like to stay, but only if RM offer him what he feels he deserves in terms of salary.

RM aren't willing to do that, they're skint and need to free up wages. They want people to stay but earn less.

IF Varane was to leave, then he'd be happy to join United, and we're willing to pay him what he wants.

Madrid won't want to lose him on a free especially with Ramos leaving too, so something needs to happen.

I suspect Madrid will call his bluff and it'll run late into the window, we will see how much of a challenge he wants.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs

Varane would like to stay, but only if RM offer him what he feels he deserves in terms of salary.

RM aren't willing to do that, they're skint and need to free up wages. They want people to stay but earn less.

IF Varane was to leave, then he'd be happy to join United, and we're willing to pay him what he wants.

Madrid won't want to lose him on a free especially with Ramos leaving too, so something needs to happen.

I suspect Madrid will call his bluff and it'll run late into the window, we will see how much of a challenge he wants.
That's a good summary. I'd just like to add the transfer fee factor.

Going late into the window means Madrid might have to accept less money. Or inversely some other club can join into the bidding war too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Most reports suggest that he doesn't want to stay but could be convinced and that his preferred destination is United.

Adam-Utd

Most reports suggest that he doesn't want to stay but could be convinced and that his preferred destination is United.
He doesn't want to stay 'because' they aren't paying him what he wants, not that he doesn't want to stay at madrid.

Denis79

Players 'wanting' to play for a particular team is a myth in modern football. There may be some exceptions but that's it.
It's the other way round. Most players have a preference for many different reasons other than money, which could be anything from probable playing time, to wanting champions league football. Which means they prefer a club over another.

Players past their prime might be more likely to go for money though.

JPRouve

Scout
He doesn't want to stay 'because' they aren't paying him what he wants, not that he doesn't want to stay at madrid.
Or like most reports have stated for years because he wants a new challenge away from Madrid?

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Of course it isn't a myth. Players will be attracted to the play style, history, management, other players, the league of any certain club. They will have preferences based on the city they want to live in, and the country. Thinking that they all move purely for the money is the myth.
Yeah I don't understand how people think it's impossible to have preferences based on other things than (just) money, just because they don't play for a singular club from age 15-retirement as much as before.

- Look at Tinder: 96% of people suffer from wanderlust and then it's impossible for a football player to want to use his status as a professional player to see more of the world? China, Russia, UAE, Turkey, Japan, USA contains some clubs that pay a lot of money, but it's also a chance to visit those places without having to worry about money.

- Just because you want your life to not be extremely static you aren't really a fan of a club? When Costa and Filipe left for Chelsea (from Atleti) a lot of fans got mad, but they don't get that many chances to visit another big league with another culture and other types of opposition. Filipe ended up regretting it (plus I think he tends to need a year to adapt to a new place before he stops being clumsy and insecure, same as Falcao, who was horrible in his first half year at Atleti, and pretty much given up on at his England clubs after such a time, no?), but if you get the chance to play in both the BPL and the LL (and others), why not go for it? I love Atlético but in Master League/career mode I don't play solely with them, sometimes it'd be nice to play in another league too. And that's all within a single year of a game. Imagine being considered trash because after 4-5 years you want to try something different?

- And speaking of Master League/Career mode/Football Manager/etc, do none of you secretly add a lot of money to your club's transfer funds to see what kind of powerful team you can create? Never? Of course you aren't the manager or technical director yourself, but when people say they like the 'project' at PSG or City, it's not a lie to cover up the big salary per definition. Even if it's unfair to have one team 20x as rich as the others (and I would like to see more strict rules to make things even - and thus demand creative team building instead of galacticos' groin size contests), but it is interesting to many people to see what's possible if your funds are limitless. Pep isn't getting the results he wants, but he's pretty much playing a cheated Master League to see if he can build the perfect team. That opportunity does seem pretty cool even if I don't support them and in a way they bought their way to the top.

I love Atlético a lot, but if after half a decade or so Man Utd come knocking, I'd definitely consider that project. If then at 30 I get to work in Japan and Brazil for two years? Sign me up for that adventure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Reports have said that he's spent the last two years probably planning to leave, not even bothering to put counter-offers to Real as they've been trying to get him to sign. It's just because we've been used before that we are putting more emphasis on the few reports saying otherwise.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Infact from most reports it's clear that he doesn't want to stay.

Adam-Utd

Or like most reports have stated for years because he wants a new challenge away from Madrid?
so why are they saying he’s undecided and wants more money?

if madrid pay him what he wanted he’s staying simple.

do you really think if we both offer the same amount he’d choose to join us instead of staying?

the talk of him wanting a new challenge has only come around as he’s feeling disrespected by madrid signing Alaba on bigger wages.

JPRouve

Scout

do you really think if we both offer the same amount he’d choose to join us instead of staying?

the talk of him wanting a new challenge has only come around as he’s feeling disrespected by madrid signing Alaba on bigger wages.
Who is they? The undecided part is clearly journalists feeling the lack of information with news that are more than a year old, they are repeating what his agent said 2 years ago, only a few suggested that he wanted more money(valentin) and it hasn't been the main angle. What has been reported though is that he hasn't responded to Madrid's offers and that United allegedly offered more than Madrid.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Did Real sign Alaba two years ago? Because that's how long most of the reports have been saying that he wants to try something new.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seems clear to me it's likely nothing happens with this until he returns to Madrid for pre-season then it's either last chance to convince him to stay or they give in and accept our money

wolvored

No most good players want to play for Madrid. They look at that as the pinnacle. That's why you hear of so many players say they want to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.