Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiSpartan

I feel dirty for saying this it might be elsewhere but not seen it.

Anyone giving the Glazers a bit of goodwill for this and Sancho and whatever else comes this Summer?

Maybe it is shut everyone up for a bit or are they getting the understanding that more success = more profit?

Eeeerguuh.
Hell no. They just realized that fans having the power to get a game called off is an expensive and embarrassing proposition. But they're so out if touch that they think shiny new signings will.make everyone ignore the nearly 2 billion of the club's money that they're pissed away.

Besides, Varane was on the cheap. It's a no brainer. If I've blown thousands of dollars on hookers and blow, and my wife finds a nice shirt on a clearance rack, do I really deserve credit for allowing her to buy it?

Macern

Pee pee pants
That’s how they do it.
£42m (34+8 in addons) = €50m
Media reports it at £50m
Then they convert £50m to Euros = €58m
Then they print it at £58m

And by this time next week they report we’re paying £97m with £16m in addons.

This is how the media report on Man Utd transfers.

Then Simon Stone tweets “Man Utd have spent £500 billion pounds on players in three years” and someone makes a thread about it on the caf so we can all have a moan.

Then the Ole thread gets bumped saying “Ole has spent £800bn in two summers, if he doesn’t win the quadruple he has to go.”
:lol: That is so accurate

Fluctuation0161

We didn't feck anything up. Dortmund wanted an exorbitant fee at a time when there was incredible uncertainty in every walk of life.

OK we didn't win any trophies but we finished second, emerged from the crisis in a stronger financial position than almost every other club and are now flexing that muscle, landing two world class players for the price of one of them last season, plugging two gaping holes in the squad with potentially more signings to come.

The club has done extremely well here.
The club should be able to spend £150m every Summer. It generates enough profit.

You may value saving money over trophies but not me.

I'm happy we've got Sancho and now likely Varane but let's not sugar coat the failure from last Summer.

ghagua

Since Varane has arrived. One of the CB might have to move on. Jones is moving on?
Bailly would head out first I would think, or hope. Jones at this stage is just a fixture. We have major clean-up to do, not just in the centerbacks but other areas too. Let the youngsters come in as backups. One or two can be used from time to time while we rotate the first team and they should be fine.

Tarrou

there she’s goes...

Raaaaaafa Varane, Rafael Varane
Fergie wanted him
Ole got his man
And we just can’t complaaaiiiin
United’s back agaaaaaiiiin

ghagua

Hell no. They just realized that fans having the power to get a game called off is an expensive and embarrassing proposition. But they're so out if touch that they think shiny new signings will.make everyone ignore the nearly 2 billion of the club's money that they're pissed away.

Besides, Varane was on the cheap. It's a no brainer. If I've blown thousands of dollars on hookers and blow, and my wife finds a nice shirt on a clearance rack, do I really deserve credit for allowing her to buy it?

Yes, you do because she is not the hooker.:wenger:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The concern trolling from some fans is boring. "Hope he doesnt turn out like Sanchez/Schweinstwiger" like what the feck kinda comparisons are they?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The club should be able to spend £150m every Summer. It generates enough profit.

I'm happy we've got Sancho and now likely Varane but let's not sugar coat the failure from last Summer.
Like I said, last summer there was a ton of uncertainty. Spending 120 million on Sancho would have been horribly irresponsible and would likely have ahd bad reputational impacts.

Not spending that amount of cash on a player has had two very good outcomes. We have saved a bit of money and used that to buy an outstanding CB and we aren't getting pushed around by selling clubs anymore, which will have incredible long term benefits.

Plus we signed two very exciting kids last year that we might have missed out on.

Vanrouge

When you think back to how things were at the very beginning of 2020, not even all that long ago, and then you let it sink in that since early January of that year we've brought in Bruno Fernandes, Edinson Cavani, Jadon Sancho, and Raphael Varane for a combined transfer cost of $150 million, it feels almost surreal.

hobbers

We've spent roughly the same amount on Bruno and Varane as we have on AWB and VDB.

Jekyll and Hyde transfers.

KennyBurner

Like I said, last summer there was a ton of uncertainty. Spending 120 million on Sancho would have been horribly irresponsible and would likely have ahd bad reputational impacts.

Not spending that amount of cash on a player has had two very good outcomes. We have saved a bit of money and used that to buy an outstanding CB and we aren't getting pushed around by selling clubs anymore, which will have incredible long term benefits.

Plus we signed two very exciting kids last year that we might have missed out on.
Not just that but Sancho also isn’t worth 120 million last season or now. Back then I reinstated how glad I was Woodward wasn’t willing to pay the 120 and it really did set the tone that we no longer entertain silly prices. Moving forward less teams will be willing to add an extra 30% just because we are Manchester United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Credit is due. Matt Judge really hits a home run with this signing. Incredible fee and wage. And at freakishly fast negotiation speed also.

He might pass his probation by his new boss at this rate. ;)

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB

That's the best defensive back 4 in England. If we can get a CDM we can move on to luxuries like an attacking right back.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I heard this is what Barcelona's board also thought.

Eternitiy

We spend an insane amount of money on player transfers. How anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

Now it's up to the manager to deliver results. There shall be no excuse.

reelworld

This. Also United had been criticized for their lack of negotiating skills and end up paying exorbitant fee for players in recent times. And now they're being criticized for standing their ground and not paying too much for a player :lol:. You can't win with these people

Laurencio

Well this is absolutely fantastic news. He's a sensational centre back. I am loving this new team Ole is building.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We spend an insane amount of money on player transfers. How anyone can argue otherwise is beyond me.

Now it's up to the manager to deliver results. There shall be no excuse.
That's true. People never feel it's enough but we are one of Europe's biggest spenders. It's now, other a few smart additions, more about coaching us into a top team than anything. This idea that we don't back out managers is rubbish and hasn't been true for any of our managers really

What i like with these last two deals is that we are getting more efficient in the market. 105 million on Sancho and Varane is great value for money and it appears as though we've negotiated pretty well. Would love for a couple of cheap signings to also come off well like Vidic and Evra. Doesn't happen anymore.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Over past 2 years (in span of 3 summers) we have bought in following players:

Maguire 80m (1st team)
Sancho 73m (1st team)
Bruno 68m (1st team)
AVB 50m (1st team)
Varane 40m (1st team)
VDB 40m (backup)
Diallo 30m (backup)
Telles 15m (backup)
James 15m (backup)
Pellistri 10m (backup)
Hannibal 10m (backup)
Cavani 0m (1st team)

Total spending: 431m

And let’s not forget Mourinho has spent more than 400m during his time here. So it’s like 850m spent in past 5 years.

There should be no more excuse, we have been investing heavily and more than anyone, we should be challenging for all fronts next season.

Last edited:

Kaos

City's back 4 is better.
Debatable. Dias is exceptional and probably as good as Varane, and better than Maguire. Both our CBs are better than Stones though. We have a better LB, whereas RB is also debatable - Walker is probably the better rounded player today but AWB has the potential to be the superior player.

SoCross

Varane, Varane, Varane, Varane,
I’m begging of you, please don’t lose your man.
Varane, Varane, Varane, Varane,
Please don’t lose him, just because you can.

Dias is exceptional and probably as good as Varane, and better than Maguire.
As always, a Pep defender who has to do very little defending gets vastly overrated. Guy got absolutely taken to the cleaners versus Germany, a very good defender no doubt, but ”as good as Varane and better than Maguire”, not for me, not a chance.
How on Earth did he get elevated to ”as good as a 4 time Champions League and World Cup winner” after just one season and 32 league games in England? :lol:

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Debatable. Dias is exceptional and probably as good as Varane, and better than Maguire. Both our CBs are better than Stones though. We have a better LB, whereas RB is also debatable - Walker is probably the better rounded player today but AWB has the potential to be the superior player.
AWB is better defensively than Walker, though.

Macern

Pee pee pants
About 10 years ago when Jones was emerging I was dreaming of us signing Varane from Lens and pairing him with Jones. Now that dream might come true :drool:

tjb

Over past 2 years (in span of 3 summers) we have bought in following players:

Maguire 80m (1st team)
Sancho 73m (1st team)
Bruno 68m (1st team)
AVB 50m (1st team)
Varane 40m (1st team)
VDB 40m (backup)
Diallo 30m (backup)
Telles 15m (backup)
James 15m (backup)
Pellistri 10m (backup)
Hannibal 10m (backup)
Cavani 0m (1st team)

Total spending: 431m

And let’s not forget Mourinho has spent more than 400m during his time here. So it’s like 850m spent in past 5 years.

There should be no more excuse, we have been investing heavily and more than anyone, we should be challenging for all fronts next season.
We had to spend that much.

What people don't like to take into consideration is the inflation in the market. We were a team that had to spend millions to get back to where we were. Milan would do the same if they could. The consequence of needing to do this is that whereas the Barca's, Bayern's and City's of the world spent heavily prior to 2016 on a boatload of expensive signings, which cost 40 60m ( which was deemed really expensive then), we have been forced to make more of those type of signings to catch up. Our actual rebuild cycle ( 2019 upward) happened to come at the most transfer/wage bill inflated period in football. Other teams are going to have to spend that type of money to catch up or keep up with us soon....we can put ourselves back in a position where we maintain the squad consistently without never needing to rebuild in the way we did these past 3 seasons. That's why spending now has been so necessary; if we play our cards right and stick to the current principles that we have regained in the squad, it may take 20 years before we need to rebuild this way again.

City's back 4 is better.
Nonsense.

Shaw is clearly the best left back, is that even debatable?

4 times CL winner and World Cup winner Varane is obviously at this point better than a dude who’s played just 32 games in a top league.

Maguire clearly just showed he’s a level above Stones yet again.

So what? Walker tips the scales does he? Cause he’s that good?

Last edited:

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Nonsense.

Shaw is clearly the best left back, is that even debatable?

4 times CL winner and World Cup winner Varane is obviously at this point better than a dude who’s played just 32 games in a top league.

Maguire clearly just showed he’s a level above Stones yet again.

So what? Walker tips the scales does he? Cause he’s that good?
Agreed. Walker is now quite similar to AWB in the sense that he’s a better defender than attacker. He’s usually the FB who stays behind when city do attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.