Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’d be demanding equally high amounts for Pogba this season, tbf. A year left on the contract doesn’t mean too much if both parties aren’t in total harmony about the move. Bayern had a sort of gentleman’s agreement/receptive to the move with Thiago and even he was around £25m.

gajender

It's a pretty normal and sensible stance for them to take when it comes to negotiations. They'll end up selling him for around £50m with several clubs interested.
No they won't I am quite certain of it , they will sell him for any thing between £ 25m and £30m max no body is paying £ 50 m for player in last year of his contract.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No they won't I am quite certain of it , they will sell him for any thing between £ 25m and £30m max no body is paying £ 50 m for player in last year of his contract.
I think they'll let him walk on a free rather than sell him for 25m.

lysglimt

Scout
Whitwell is reporting that Madrid want significantly more than the reported £35m. The usual suspects among the Madrid camp have maintained that Madrid will demand €70m.
£60 million is not an outrageous amount to start negotiating from. If Real want to sell him - and we offer £45 million up front + £5-10 million in add-ons - it could be solved

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
£60 million is not an outrageous amount to start negotiating from. If Real want to sell him - and we offer £45 million up front + £5-10 million in add-ons - it could be solved
Just get Kounde if they want more, I say

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed.

But Whitwell is saying that after paying a potential £80m plus £20m in add on for Sancho, the budget likely won't stretch too far to nab Varane aswell.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Bailey and Jones should be on the chopping block ffs! Stretch that budget. Not often players of this pedigree are available.

krentz

Daniel James made a fool out of him. If Madrid ask for more than 40M then we should be moving on to another younger target.

We’d be demanding equally high amounts for Pogba this season, tbf. A year left on the contract doesn’t mean too much if both parties aren’t in total harmony about the move. Bayern had a sort of gentleman’s agreement/receptive to the move with Thiago and even he was around £25m.
But we have to deal with Raiola first. He'd ask stupid signing fee to suitor clubs which could lower our asking transfer fee for Pogba. :nervous:

GueRed

he's just using United to get a bumper new deal with Real Madrid right?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
he's just using United to get a bumper new deal with Real Madrid right?
I think it's 50/50. I think Varane would be happy to stay if they give him the money (duh, who wouldn't), but I also think I've seen reports scattered that it's a thing of him wanting to be seen with a bit more appreciation in terms of leadership pecking order. Not 100% sure on that, but I feel like I've seen that written somewhere.

New challenge at a club that have been very strongly interested in him since his time at Lens who will pay him what he feels he's worth? Why not?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doubters would make you believe we are talking about Sylvain Distin, not Varane. Varane is a quality CB, and as much as he benefited from Ramos's leadership and charisma, I rate him as the better defender all things considered. For the sums quoted of 40m i think he would be good for us.
I don't think I'd go that far, there isn't a defender on the planet I'd rather we had bought than Ramos when he was linked (under Louis I think). But Varane now, I think would be a real coup.

OmarUnited4ever

If Varane is adamant on leaving, I do not think RM would be willing to let him walk for free next season, they will need to accept the best offer they can get this summer, and I don't think they get anything more than 60M Euros for him, that is if there is anyone in the market ready to offer such a deal.

Kostov

I don't think I'd go that far, there isn't a defender on the planet I'd rather we had bought than Ramos when he was linked (under Louis I think). But Varane now, I think would be a real coup.
Ramos is and always has been a very suspect CB and I for one was glad we didn't buy him back in the day. Brain farts are and always were part of his game, masked by crucial goals and one of the best CDM around in Casemiro, add to that Varane who was a monster defensively. He was crucial for Madrid but he wouldn't have worked here, Varane on the other hand, I think if motivated can be a great partner for Maguire.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ramos is and always has been a very suspect CB and I for one was glad we didn't buy him back in the day. Brain farts are and always were part of his game, masked by crucial goals and one of the best CDM around in Casemiro, add to that Varane who was a monster defensively. He was crucial for Madrid but he wouldn't have worked here, Varane on the other hand, I think if motivated can be a great partner for Maguire.
Now, Varane is obviously the better option. If we didn't have Maguire, I'd take Ramos regardless of his age. But back in the day, I think Ramos was the best centre back (not purely in terms of defending like Godin or Chiellini), not least through his sheer will to win. Look at Bruno (a lesser player in my view), a winner, who makes loads of sloppy passes per game, but still is the main driver for the team and one of the only characters in the club who will do anything to win (Cavani being the other).

Anyhow, we digress. Varane would be a superb option for us and I'd be surprised to see him join us.

CG1010

There is no way United will pay more than 40 million for a 28 year old defender. By the end of his initial contract he would be likely be 31-32. It just doesn't fit in with the "value" perspective that is back in our transfer business. And to add to the fact that Varane would expect a bumper pay rise and bonuses.

MadMike

I don't believe he'd come here, it's all to get a better contract. I think it's a pipe dream.

If he did come, he'd comfortably sit next to Maguire and be a significant improvement from Bailly or Lindelof for our defence.

MadMike

There is no way United will pay more than 40 million for a 28 year old defender. By the end of his initial contract he would be likely be 31-32. It just doesn't fit in with the "value" perspective that is back in our transfer business. And to add to the fact that Varane would expect a bumper pay rise and bonuses.
We'd probably offer 30-35m in GBP which is 35-40m in EUR. Maybe another 5-10m or so in performance related bonuses. I reckon Real would take it if he wants out and they risk losing him for free. I know I'd take that for Pogba if he doesn't want to renew.

He's a trim and tall CB, he could easily play till 33-34. I just don't think he'd be super keen on coming here.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If this is more than a contract thing and it actually can happen, he'd be a brilliant signing. Instantly would raise everyone around him, he'd demand success as that's all he's known, and he's still got a good chunk of years left, and I think he'd partner Maguire quite well too.

Don't think it'll happen, but would obviously be the best possible CB signing we could do.

cyberman

As soon as he signs for us he becomes a 80m player. How is that not great value?

CoopersDream

If we can sign him, it would be a no brainer. He's class and he probably has good few years left on the absolute top level. Would improve us immensly.

TheHeya

Any reports of him now willing to stay now that Ancelotti is back? Still convinced he’s using us for a pay riss

rotherham_red

Any reports of him now willing to stay now that Ancelotti is back? Still convinced he’s using us for a pay riss
Same. I'm pretty sure we don't have all our CB eggs in the Varane basket though, so if it looks like it isn't happening, we'll move on to the next target on the list.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I read an article the other day stating he wasn’t always first choice under ancelotti. Tbh I think there are quite a few CBs available who would be an upgrade for us and I’m confident we’ll sign one of them so I’m fairly chilled about the whole thing. The fact he has one year left on his deal and is ready to walk into the side day one appeals but if Madrid are asking stupid money then move on.

Shark

@NotShark
This definitely smells of that Sergio Ramos saga a few years back. Just after the new bumper contract and using our name to get one. Hope I'm wrong.

Rooney1987

Well Real do need the money this time and do have to trim the squad and wage bill. Varane will also be looking at that new Alaba wages and want the same, Real ain't paying 800k for 2 CBs. Real also have Militao and Nacho.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard £100m+ at 28 with only 12 months left
Courtois was £35m with only a year left and he's a GK

Hanky panky

This definitely smells of that Sergio Ramos saga a few years back. Just after the new bumper contract and using our name to get one. Hope I'm wrong.
Yes. And i can´t imagine that they would let Varane go when Ramos is already playing his last years as a professional.

TrueRed79

Want it to happen but we've been down this road with Madrid players at the end of their contracts. Just can't see it happening unless he simply wants a new challenge. If that's the case, get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.