Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ll be honest, I’ve been burnt before. This feels like Thiago, Sneijder, Vidal et al all over again. We will get Sancho 100%, but Varane will end up at PSG or staying at Madrid.

Source: The vials of tears I still own as a reminder of summers gone by.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What about a DM who is strong on the ball or are you very much in the tempo controlling CM camp instead
Both to be honest. Neither Fred or McT should be starters. If I had to choose though I’d say the latter, given that nether Pogba or Bruno are able to do that we really are crying out for some technical competence in there. I’m not asking for us to find a new Scholes and Keane here - If we just had a younger Carrick we’d be so so much better.

croadyman

Both to be honest. Neither Fred or McT should be starters. If I had to choose though I’d say the latter, given that nether Pogba or Bruno are able to do that we really are crying out for some technical competence in there. I’m not asking for us to find a new Scholes and Keane here - If we just had a younger Carrick we’d be so so much better.
Yeah I would like both and you do make a very good point that we lack some serious technical ability in the CM, however also worry that there are times when we are easy to get through without a proper DM so proper torn on this one

Cman

Given that city paid 60m for Dias last season and he was best CB in the league this year I think that’s prob going to be the price that gets the deal done. If we could get him for that including some add ons I’d be delighted.

croadyman

Given that city paid 60m for Dias last season and he was best CB in the league this year I think that’s prob going to be the price that gets the deal done. If we could get him for that including some add ons I’d be delighted.
Think Utd would pay that if he had 18 months on his current deal rather than just 12

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Have people learned nothing?

He's clearly using Utd as a bargaining chip for a bumper renewal... Its been clear that there was always a chance that Ramos would be off this summer and Varane has played the hand he has in turning down previous renewals and put Madrid in the last position they want to be in, the prospect of losing 2 CBs in the same window.

We're now at the Mexican standoff point where Madrid are like "nah we're stacked at CB, happy to sell". Its just a question of who blinks first, but he'll 100% renew and I'll gladly eat a bowl of shit if he doesn't.

DSG

This one goes against what the Spanish tweets insinuate.

In any case PSG have Kimpembe, Marquinos, Keher and Diallo. I think that's only 2 sound choices, of which 1 if I'm not mistaken likes to have some games in midfield. They certainly need a top level centre back so I can see them going for one. The way they can operate I wouldn't be surprised if they just snapped both either :lol:
I think PSG is predominately going to play a back 3 next season. If the Hakimi rumors are true and he goes to PSG, I don’t think they’ll allow him to play in a back 4 as he can be a bit suspect defensively in that formation.

It may come down to wages… I think all else being equal, he goes to PSG if he leaves at all…

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think it's a good time to move from Madrid as things stand. I don't think they'll be competing for the Champions League in the next few years and will have to rebuild the squad. I also believe Varane will probably get a better financial package at United as things stand and at 28 years of age it's probably the right time to move and experience a new competition outside of Spain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry but that’s bollox. A DM isn’t going to help Lindelof address his weaknesses such as heading a ball
Very true. I think one issue however is also that our center backs can be left exposed because of limitations in the holding midfielders in front of them. My only concern with Varane is that he seems to be more passive post his injury layoff, and not as near as explosive as he once was. Almost like he's within himself and is scared to make use of his great physical attributes of speed, power, height. That's not to say he's bad right now, but I see him as being a bit too casual compared to what he was.

When you're looking to upgrade on Lindelof, that's a concern. But hopefully if he came here, he can step up and really bring his old self back.

GMoore23

Won't be getting excited about this until I see him in a United shirt. Sounds like the usual bull we've been put through many times.

fergosaurus

Sancho and Varane this window, then a deep lying playmaker and striker next summer and we'll be in very good shape. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but it is muppet season after all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sancho and Varane this window, then a deep lying playmaker and striker next summer and we'll be in very good shape. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but it is muppet season after all.
Don't forget Bellingham the summer after ;)

It does sound very Football Manager like but I bet properly run clubs really do have long term planning like this

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Varane, Sancho and a DM would be an exceptional summer.

We’ll drag out the Sancho deal until the last week. Watch varane join PSG and sign some young guy nobody has heard from.

nailed on.

fergosaurus

Don't forget Bellingham the summer after ;)

It does sound very Football Manager like but I bet properly run clubs really do have long term planning like this
We do look like we're getting our act together with our transfer policy so why not. A double swoop of Bellingham and Haaland next summer. :drool:

Green Arrow

Varane, Sancho and a DM would be an exceptional summer.

We’ll drag out the Sancho deal until the last week. Watch varane join PSG and sign some young guy nobody has heard from.

nailed on.
Spot on, this is the likely scenario about the transfer. Drag it out all summer in time for the new kit have Sancho with the new kit and the Glazers think they have done well.

Regarding Varane I don't know where the money is coming for that so most likely he will join PSG.

DM is a must for us but again where is the money coming from.

Glazers are doing last seasons business this season.

Bondi77

We do look like we're getting our act together with our transfer policy so why not. A double swoop of Bellingham and Haaland next summer. :drool:
We should just buy the club and make them our feeder club.....buy all the best young talent in World football and play them every week against Swiss cheese defences and then sell them for quadruple of what we paid for them.
Quids in!

redshaw

Varane is in an even stronger position now Ramos has left. He'll do what Ramos has done before him and Madrid will yield. It's Varane's turn to be the main Madrid defender and get a huge pay packet.

I don't see United paying him any extra, more like what he's on now while PSG can.

Godfather

Varane is in an even stronger position now Ramos has left. He'll do what Ramos has done before him and Madrid will yield. It's Varane's turn to be the main Madrid defender and get a huge pay packet.

I don't see United paying him any extra, more like what he's on now while PSG can.
This sadly

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Varane is on £200k with Real Madrid, considering their finances and the shape of their squad they’re not going to be able to match what United could offer him which could easily be north of 300k.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That's only true if he wants to stay which by most accounts isn't the case.

redshaw

Varane is on £200k with Real Madrid, considering their finances and the shape of their squad they’re not going to be able to match what United could offer him which could easily be north of 300k.
Maguire would want something similar then, he's on around 200k and would need to bumped up to north of 300k. Don't see us offering much more than what he's on if the reports are correct. PSG getting Wijnaldum and Varane would be worrying if Madrid won't pay.

Last edited:

Withnail

Have people learned nothing?

He's clearly using Utd as a bargaining chip for a bumper renewal... Its been clear that there was always a chance that Ramos would be off this summer and Varane has played the hand he has in turning down previous renewals and put Madrid in the last position they want to be in, the prospect of losing 2 CBs in the same window.

We're now at the Mexican standoff point where Madrid are like "nah we're stacked at CB, happy to sell". Its just a question of who blinks first, but he'll 100% renew and I'll gladly eat a bowl of shit if he doesn't.
Yeah I'm getting the impression it's the usual Real player negotiating tactic. We've been here so many times before.

Although I'm not that bothered. People seem to think he'd really improve us but is he actually good at defending?
I haven't watched all that much of him but he's never really stood out when I did.

Is he strong in the air and in the tackle? If not then I don't see what we'd gain.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Madrid also reportedly just paid Alaba 12m net per year, which is like 460k euros per week. I don't think Varane is going to accept 300k per week from Madrid, he will want at least 350k if not 400k to stay there.

And the bigger picture is that Madrid is broke but really really really needs to do something to improve their attack. They have to sell players and they're not going to generate very much for castoffs like Dani Ceballos or Isco. Meanwhile, at some point they need to give Militao a real run in the team and they've committed to Alaba so it just makes a good amount of sense to sell Varane, even with Ramos leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.