Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

He's the level of VVD, Koubailly. For CBs under 30 there arent many better. De Ligt maybe add to that list.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
A massive upgrade. Not sure he’s VVD, like some are making out, but he makes you a lot better.

romufc

He's the level of VVD, Koubailly. For CBs under 30 there arent many better. De Ligt maybe add to that list.
What makes you add De Ligt to the list?

Hes not really shown that he is better than the average CB.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not sure we need more ball-playing, technically good centrebacks who are great on the ball but may get bullied by the likes of Troy Deeney and Mark Noble
How is that in any way applicable to Varane? He's perfectly built for a centre back, very Rio-esque (and he is even taller by a few cm) as he can both outpace and outmuscle pretty much anyone.

SinNombre

He has been shaky for a long time but still have sale value so RM will be looking to sell.

He is in a similar boat to Pogba at United. Big name with still resale value who is neither succeeding nor failing at his current club at current form.

spiriticon

How is that in any way applicable to Varane? He's perfectly built for a centre back, very Rio-esque (and he is even taller by a few cm) as he both outpace and outmuscle pretty much anyone.

:lol: Sure, I've no doubt he looks the part. And I do think he's very much like Rio as well.

I'm just saying I prefer a defender who is more like Vidic than Rio at this moment in time.

Perhaps being paired with Ramos does him no justice, since Ramos plays pretty much on the edge of brutality every game.

Red4Life_#7

The type of Defender you can't pass up on, if available. His calmness on the ball, talent and experience is something we need.

Upgrade on Lindelof.

beingshe7don

Question is Varane vs. Kounde? Both would probably cost the same. Kounde is built like a beast while Varane is more of a Rolls Royce center back. Who would slot in well with Maguire?

dinostar77

Question is Varane vs. Kounde? Both would probably cost the same. Kounde is built like a beast while Varane is more of a Rolls Royce center back. Who would slot in well with Maguire?
You'd be comparing promising talent at 22, to the finished article at 28. Usual pros and cons. I dont know enough about Kounde to know what his playing style is like. If they are similar priced theoretically then it would be a tough call. What does the squad need more, an experienced pro or a promising takent who fits into the right age bracket with the squad and ideally they all start to hit their peak years together. Tough call.

We know woodward offered €100mil for varane in 2018 and perez said no. So would woodword go back in for him again and at what price? €60mil ? (My guess).

croadyman

How can anyone turn their nose up at Varane is just beyond me. I swear some posters just want the shiniest, newest toys out there, despite the fact we have a proven world-class defender right in front of us. Put simply, if there's any chance we can get this done (there likely isn't) then we have to pull out all the stops as he can make us a title contender.
Yeah the guy is proven top drawer for many years and would bring a winners mentality to our back line too

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The amount of people on here who turn their noses up at a player like Varane :lol: Only on Redcafe.

Also, if we ever get him, he should be a partner for Bailly. Not the current clowns at CB.
Boils my piss when people say that, like we are the only forum with fans of differing opinions

beingshe7don

How much is Koulibaly worth these days? It's definitely a long shot but how crazy would it be pairing Koulibaly with Kounde? I really hope we cut our losses at some point and just sell Maguire. It's the same old story. Previously, we bought midfielders to free Pogba. Now we're buying center backs to free Maguire.

dinostar77

How much is Koulibaly worth these days? It's definitely a long shot but how crazy would it be pairing Koulibaly with Kounde? I really hope we cut our losses at some point and just sell Maguire. It's the same old story. Previously, we bought midfielders to free Pogba. Now we're buying center backs to free Maguire.
Hes approaching his 30th birthday and napoli chairman (in public at least) keeps quoting crazy prices.

croadyman

I think I read somewhere that since Napoli are in financial trouble, they are willing to part with him for 39m.
Sounds like Bayern are looking to sign him to go along with Upamecano for around £73m which quite frankly is absolute peanuts for two top CB's in this day and age, surely Napoli would never let him leave for a figure that low and if so we should be all over it not them

dinostar77

Muppet wish fulfillment if we got varane. If Pogba wont sign a new deal, I'd try the equivalent of a straight swap.

Really hope if he leaves he comes to us and not Bayern or PSG.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Reports that Varane has told Real he wants to leave, can any one who regularly watches Real tell me what his form been like this season ?
To clarify, Sergio Santos, the journalist who wrote that article, stated that Varane "is seriously considering the option of a transfer request in the summer". This may seem like I'm being picky on minor details, but this, to me, doesn't give new info; rather, it reads like a rehash of previous stories except that the conjecture is now being weakly reinforced with apparent info from Varane's camp (the "AS understands" really makes this seem like their conjecture).

The original AS article in English: https://en.as.com/en/2021/03/10/football/1615370713_234288.html

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I would gladly take him, he hasn't been greatly impressive for Real Madrid for a number of years, especially when he isn't partnered with Ramos. However I do think he could make a good partnership with our own Harry, his pace, height, athleticism, good ball playing abilities, strength would be very welcome. For a fee between 50-70 million, he also has a great age and would be a good upgrade to Lindelof.

He wouldnt go to Barcelona or Atletico for obvious reasons, Bayern are already stacked, Dortmund can't afford him, City and Juventus do not need him, which would leave him with United, Chelsea and Liverpool as teams that could afford him and fit his status. I wouldn't be surprised if he's using us for a better contract though and it wouldn't be the first time either.

If not him, I like the look of Pau Torres.

dinostar77

The Spainish reports are saying other than not being happy with pay, he wants a new footballing challenge and a change of scenery. But we have been here plenty of times with Madrid players so im not holding my breath.

future2future

What makes you add De Ligt to the list?

Hes not really shown that he is better than the average CB.
Have you actually seen De Ligt play the last two seasons? Had a rough start but was a first choice pick after the first half of the season and has done very well, apart from some injuries. Easily one of the biggest defending talents on the planet and will be starter for any team

future2future

Varane has the physique but not the insight. Was very good with Ramos next to him, guiding him, not very good without him. I'm not sure this is going to be the answer however could be a good fit with Maguire, at least we have the experience and pace in the back

romufc

Have you actually seen De Ligt play the last two seasons? Had a rough start but was a first choice pick after the first half of the season and has done very well, apart from some injuries. Easily one of the biggest defending talents on the planet and will be starter for any team

I actually have and if you think those performances mean he is automatic start then there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.