Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think it is a bit of both. Apart from Matic we dont have particularly good midfielders in our own third of the pitch, Fred and McTomnay are good at breaking up play in the middle of the park, so we could do with a midfield addition.....but I also disagree partly. I just think we havent signed well in the transfer market regardign defenders for a long time.

Even back to Ferguson, Phil jOnes was the last centre back he signed that looked a good signing but wasnt. For me we havent made an excellent purchase since in the centre back position.

Moyes didnt sign any

Van Gaal signed Rojo which was poor and Blind. I know some liked him and he did ok at Ajax, I thought he was apoor centre back, an average left back and adecent central midfielder personally

Mourinho singed Lindelof who has played quite well the last few months but isnt a starting eleven player for me and isnt the right partner for Maguire. He also signed Bailly who I think just hasnt worked out but I do actually still rate him

Ole has only signed Maguire and yes he is a decent centre back but never in a million years an £80m one. I think he can still go some way nearer that value IF we get the right partner for him.

But looking at that list, you say we have signed centre backs, lets not beat around the bush that is a piss poor selection of centre back signings post Ferguson and it isnt like there have been an array of youngsters fighting for spots either, Tuanzabe is still a promising youngster.....at 23 with the inconsistencies of a teenager still it seems to me.

As for Varane, obviously that would be a big improvement quality wise and at 43m 27-28 reaching his peak, it is a fair deal as well in todays market. Personally I think he is quality....but he does seem to remind me still of an early Ferdinand, he does suffer lots of lapses of concentration I feel, he wouldnt be top of my list but a very good signing none the less
some very fair comments but the figure being quoted for Varane is more than £60m

cyberman

Because we're the only one who would actually pay money to get him this summer rather than to sign him on a free like every other clubs interested in him.
For every target? Literally every one. Im still waiting for this stampede for Sancho this summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair, his wages is 150k p/w. That's 40k less than Maguire. I think the news of him being interested to come here might be legit because why should he stay at Real Madrid earning wages that is less than Maguire when he can come here and getting the same wages as our captain and hang out with his mates Pogba & Martial.

However, 60m quoted for 28 years old centre back who only has one year in his contract in a club with financial problem sounds silly. His price tag should be 30m-35m max.

Skills

Snitch
To be fair, his wages is 150k p/w. That's 40k less than Maguire. I think the news of him being interested to come here might be legit because why should he stay at Real Madrid earning wages that is less than Maguire when he can come here and getting the same wages as our captain and hang out with his mates Pogba & Martial.

However, 60m quoted for 28 years old centre back who only has one year in his contract in a club with financial problem sounds silly. His price tag should be 30m-35m max.
After tax no?

SinNombre

That quoted price is in eur.

€60m = £52m

If a deal was to happen, we would likely get him for £40m.

reddevilz007

With the Super League fiasco, Perez will probably do everything to get back at us, like pricing Varane out

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If our transfer summer is Varane & Sancho and then we keep Pogba & Cavani. That will be amazing summer business.

SinNombre

At that price, I don't see it happening. No one is going to pay that much for a 28 year with one year left with Covid causing losses across the board.

If our transfer summer is Varane & Sancho and then we keep Pogba & Cavani. That will be amazing summer business.
Will likely need to raise 50m in outgoing sales for that. Lingard, Dalot, Bailly may get us close.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
At that price, I don't see it happening. No one is going to pay that much for a 28 year with one year left with Covid causing losses across the board.
Like I said before the price is silly. I expect 35m. They are in big financial problem, it makes zero sense why Perez will play hard on this. Take the money or losing him for free next summer or giving him new contract.

Will likely need to raise 50m in outgoing sales for that. Lingard, Dalot, Bailly may get us close.
Lingard = 25m
Keeper = 25m-30m
Bailly = 15m

That is 65m-70m from sells. Varane (35m) + Sancho (80m). Total net spend: 45m-50m. This might be possible.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No point keeping Pogba if he stays on the bench. CDM is more important than a forward since we only have one who's 33..
Pogba plays in midfield against the bottom teams while on the wing against the top teams. Thus, he won't sit on the bench.

We need to improve in both our creativity and defensive department, meaning you can't get everyone mate. Varane & Sancho will be obvious choices to replace Bailly & add creativity in the squad.

Seven Seas Sardines

Pogba plays in midfield against the bottom teams while on the wing against the top teams. Thus, he won't sit on the bench.

We need to improve in both our creativity and defensive department, meaning you can't get everyone mate. Varane & Sancho will be obvious choices to replace Bailly & add creativity in the squad.
So you're gonna bench Rashford against big teams? :houllier:

Rob Bowman

You are correct except for PSG and City. They could care less about COVID. My fear is as long as they are poking around in the transfer market prices will stay high.

gorky_utd

I would pay the money for him. Far better than lindelof, has played at the highest level so someone who will not crumble under pressure.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Bailly is offered a new contract and will sign the deal then I can't see us signing Varane or a new centre back.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think you can rule out another CB if Baily signs on. No way United will move on Lindelof or Axel, the later having a strong reputation at the club.

arthurka

Not seeing us splashing the cash on him there are other positions that need addressing over this.
Like a striker and a deep lying midfielder, right winger might also finally be on the cards after 7 years of not having one.

redshaw

Rumored Chelsea are ahead in the race to sign him. With Bailly signing it doesn't seem likely and our back four don't look as shaky with Henderson but that's still early to tell. With money tight for non oil clubs I don't think we'll be handing over a ton of money to Madrid or getting involved in a bidding war.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surprised to see people scoff at Varane for 60m. Tactical game changer for us.

Think we should 100% move Bailly on and recoup some money. Lindelof and Tuanzebe fighting to push Maguire and Varane would be a fecking ideal scenario.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Weird one; the rumours seem to be that CB is one of our strongest positions of priority. We've also been linked to more names than most other positions we're looking to improve within.

Wouldn't say I'm Varane or bust, but much like upfront where if we aren't getting Kane or Haaland, I'm not super excited about the other names out there. I'm sure Kounde, Ben White, Milenkovic et. al have their strengths but at this point in time I think we need a CB who has a little more seniority and experience at the very top level. I'm not too excited about signing another young 20 something who is still potential.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Weird one; the rumours seem to be that CB is one of our strongest positions of priority. We've also been linked to more names than most other positions we're looking to improve within.

Wouldn't say I'm Varane or bust, but much like upfront where if we aren't getting Kane or Haaland, I'm not super excited about the other names out there. I'm sure Kounde, Ben White, Milenkovic et. al have their strengths but at this point in time I think we need a CB who has a little more seniority and experience at the very top level. I'm not too excited about signing another young 20 something who is still potential.
As the season goes, the position of priority can change depends on players’ improvements. We have 10 draws in the league this season, 7 of them were 0-0. May be that’s the factor of why we decided to offer Bailly new contract and concentrate on attacker and midfield.

Pep's Suit

For United, he'd be a much, much better signing than Kounde, Konate or Torres, I think.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If Bailly is offered a new contract and will sign the deal then I can't see us signing Varane or a new centre back.
I think you can rule out another CB if Baily signs on. No way United will move on Lindelof or Axel, the later having a strong reputation at the club.
Bailly renewing his contract is unrelated to our plans to bring in a new CB. We were strongly linked to CBs whilst Bailly was playing and in form this season, and for many months, the United journalists have mentioned that we'll be bringing in a new CB. There are also no reports over us monitoring other midfielders or even showing any interest in buying them.

As long as Varane doesn't renew his contract, we'll remain strongly linked to him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bailly renewing his contract is unrelated to our plans to bring in a new CB. We were strongly linked to CBs whilst Bailly was playing and in form this season, and for many months, the United journalists have mentioned that we'll be bringing in a new CB. There are also no reports over us monitoring other midfielders or even showing any interest in buying them.

As long as Varane doesn't renew his contract, we'll remain strongly linked to him.
Obviously it is related. The United sources mentioned before that Bailly had doubt to sign a new contract because he didn't think he gets enough games. And now he signed a new deal, so what does it tell you? The answer is pretty obvious because he's not going to be our 4th choice centre back behind Maguire, Lindelof and new centre back.

Just because reports were saying we prioritised CB position 2 month ago, it does not mean we cannot change our mind about it. Ole, Fletcher and Murtough might have discussion that may be we need to focus our summer budget on our attack and midfield this summer. And yesterday result could be the trigger because that was our 7th 0-0 draws in our 10 league draws.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Obviously it is related. The United sources mentioned before that Bailly had doubt to sign a new contract because he didn't think he gets enough games. And now he signed a new deal, so what does it tell you? The answer is pretty obvious because he's not going to be our 4th choice centre back behind Maguire, Lindelof and new centre back.

Just because reports were saying we prioritised CB position 2 month ago, it does not mean we cannot change our mind about it. Ole, Fletcher and Murtough might have discussion that may be we need to focus our summer budget on our attack and midfield this summer. And yesterday result could be the trigger because that was our 7th 0-0 draws in our 10 league draws.
I agree, the situation is always fluid, and things can change. With that said, United do have the capacity to make two first-team signings without needing to sell players. One of the two can be a new CB. Over the past 6 months, United have been getting linked to athletic, aggressive centre backs (basically those of Bailly's profile), which tells me that we want to pair an athletic centre back with one of Lindelöf and Maguire (so no more Lindelöf-Maguire as our first-choice pairing next season). Given how well that partnership has worked recently, however, United might have lowered a new CB in their priorities. Still, that should have resulted in more recent links to players in other positions (only Sancho and Abdallah Sima), and we're still getting linked to CBs (Koundé, Milenkovic, Varane, Konaté, etc.).

Let's see whether the trend in links changes now that Bailly's renewed his contract.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree, the situation is always fluid, and things can change. With that said, United do have the capacity to make two first-team signings without needing to sell players. One of the two can be a new CB. Over the past 6 months, United have been getting linked to athletic, aggressive centre backs (basically those of Bailly's profile), which tells me that we want to pair an athletic centre back with one of Lindelöf and Maguire (so no more Lindelöf-Maguire as our first-choice pairing next season). Given how well that partnership has worked recently, however, United might have lowered a new CB in their priorities. Still, that should have resulted in more recent links to players in other positions (only Sancho), and we're still getting linked to CBs (Koundé, Milenkovic, Varane, Konaté, etc.).

Let's see whether the trend in links changes now that Bailly's renewed his contract.
Two first team signings without needing to sell players could be new attacker and new midfielder. It is very obvious that the reason why we gave Bailly 4 years new contract because we are no longer looking for new CB this summer. It makes no sense why Bailly agreed to sign a deal just to be 4th choice centre back.

You are free to give me a good reason or the logic behind why we gave Bailly 4 years new contract plus 1 option year.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Two first team signings without needing to sell players could be new attacker and new midfielder. It is very obvious that the reason why we gave Bailly 4 years new contract because we are no longer looking for new CB this summer. It makes no sense why Bailly agreed to sign a deal just to be 4th choice centre back.

You are free to give me a good reason or the logic behind why we gave Bailly 4 years new contract plus 1 option year.
I'm in agreement with you over our fluid situation, not against it. All I'm saying is that no journalist anywhere has linked us to a new central or defensive midfielder(Calhanoglu and Pedro Goncalves are the only ones, and both are AMs).

Regarding Bailly being given his new 3+1 year contract, we won't have much depth at centre back come the summer. The United journalists have reported on Jones not being in our plans; Tuanzebe had his own lengthy injury layoff this season and has barely played this season; Mengi just had his first loan spell at Derby where he wasn't even starting all the time; we don't have any centre backs from our U23 and U18 sides who are ready for first-team football (regardless of Fish training with the first team). We pretty much have 3+1 first-team centre backs, and we'll obviously need one more CB to be able to compete on all fronts.

With that said, maybe United want to give Tuanzebe another chance? That's why I agree with you that the situation is fluid and why I am waiting to see if we get linked to players in other roles instead of CBs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm in agreement with you over our fluid situation, not against it. All I'm saying is that no journalist anywhere has linked us to a new central or defensive midfielder(Calhanoglu and Pedro Goncalves are the only ones, and both are AMs).

Regarding Bailly being given his new 3+1 year contract, we won't have much depth at centre back come the summer. The United journalists have reported on Jones not being in our plans; Tuanzebe had his own lengthy injury layoff this season and has barely played this season; Mengi just had his first loan spell at Derby where he wasn't even starting all the time; we don't have any centre backs from our U23 and U18 sides who are ready for first-team football (regardless of Fish training with the first team). We pretty much have 3+1 first-team centre backs, and we'll obviously need one more CB to be able to compete on all fronts.

With that said, maybe United want to give Tuanzebe another chance? That's why I agree with you that the situation is fluid and why I am waiting to see if we get linked to players in other roles instead of CBs.
What is this then? The Athletic: Manchester United set to explore signing Declan Rice as part of any West Ham deal for Lingard

I already told you before It makes no sense why Bailly agreed to sign a deal just to be 4th choice centre back as what it was reported before he didn't want to sign new contract because he wanted to play more football. And now you are telling me it is the reason :lol:. Thanks for going circle mate. Well, you have to tell me why it makes sense because that's where the argument started.

Status
Not open for further replies.