Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What is this then? The Athletic: Manchester United set to explore signing Declan Rice as part of any West Ham deal for Lingard

I just told you before that It makes no sense why Bailly agreed to sign a deal just to be 4th choice centre back as what it was reported before he didn't want to sign new contract because he wanted to play more football. And now you are telling me it is the reason :lol:. Thanks for going circle mate. Well, you have to tell me why it makes sense because that's where the argument started as it makes no sense.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Rice. I remember when Jacob Steinberg was reporting him as a centre-back option for us a month before that story broke through. It's probably why I forgot about him. :lol:

On the second part, you're the one saying that he's fourth choice. I'm the one saying that he'll compete for one of the two spots (i.e. the Maguire-Lindelöf partnership won't last beyond this season). We're both discussing something speculative here and have two different views over this situation (you: Bailly means no CBs; me: Bailly means 1 CB instead of 2). Note that my view is based on us not getting Varane (there isn't much to his link with us, anyways; the links are only coming from Spain).

Either we can discuss these points in good faith, or you can claim your victory and move on. If you also want to make this personal, then go ahead. The choice is yours.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Rice. I remember when Jacob Steinberg was reporting him as a centre-back option for us a month before that story broke through. It's probably why I forgot about him. :lol:

On the second part, you're the one saying that he's fourth choice. I'm the one saying that he'll compete for one of the two spots (i.e. the Maguire-Lindelöf partnership won't last beyond this season). We're both discussing something speculative here and have two different views over this situation (you: Bailly means no CBs; me: Bailly means 1 CB instead of 2). Note that my view is based on us not getting Varane (there isn't much to his link with us, anyways; the links are only coming from Spain).

Either we can discuss these points in good faith, or you can claim your victory and move on. If you also want to make this personal, then go ahead. The choice is yours.
If we use your argument about us being linked with CB based on United journalists then the targets would have been someone like Pau Torres, Kounde, Ramos or those centre back that cost money whether it's wages or fees. That means if we sign one then Bailly will be pushed away to 4th choice, that's logic. The guy can't even push away Maguire & Lindelof partnership this season. Does this not enough to give you an idea that we are not longer in for centre back this summer? If not then you have to tell me how Bailly won't be 4th choice based on that logic?

croadyman

Think Bailly signing a new deal probably ends any hope of us signing him

Diabovermelho

With Bailly's extension, i can't see us spending 50+ million on another CB. Our priorities this summer will probably be Striker, DM and RB.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Real Madrid player Linked to Man United? Contract renewal incoming in 5,4,3...

SATA

Probably signing the Madrid contract tomorrow after seeing us extend Bailly’s and the hopes of a massive pay rise from United gone

Bwuk

Bailly renewing killed any hopes of signing a CB.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think he is going to PSG. Pochettino is seemingly in love with the footballer.

It makes sense if he wants go get back to his country to be honest.
I would be very surprised if a french player of his caliber decides that he wants to go back to Ligue 1 at his age.

Devil may care

Weird one; the rumours seem to be that CB is one of our strongest positions of priority. We've also been linked to more names than most other positions we're looking to improve within.

Wouldn't say I'm Varane or bust, but much like upfront where if we aren't getting Kane or Haaland, I'm not super excited about the other names out there. I'm sure Kounde, Ben White, Milenkovic et. al have their strengths but at this point in time I think we need a CB who has a little more seniority and experience at the very top level. I'm not too excited about signing another young 20 something who is still potential.
That's the issue, any of these cheap, average CB's being named will just be making up the numbers and we'll still be stuck with the current mediocre partnership starting all of the time.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bailly should have been sold. I've preferred him over Lindelof but how he gets a 3 year contract after proving once again this season that he can't stay fit is stupid. Just like the Matic contract. I don't know how we do this all the time. .

I still think we want a CB seeing as it was a priority last season when Bailly was here. I just think that now we won't really take a gamble on a cheap gem and would call it a day if we can't get Varane.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I would be very surprised if a french player of his caliber decides that he wants to go back to Ligue 1 at his age.
Of course I am not inside his head but I don't think it's so strange. Maybe he feels he won enough and wants to get a huge pay cheque before he gets old and/or suffers some serious injury.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
70m for an overated injury prone defender. Nah.

Our defence really isn't that bad anyways, we have much bigger holes in the squad to fill first.

JPRouve

Scout
Of course I am not inside his head but I don't think it's so strange. Maybe he feels he won enough and wants to get a huge pay cheque before he gets old and/or suffers some serious injury.
He would be the first french player of his caliber to do it in a very long time, so it would definitely be a strange sight.

laughtersassassin

I'm fine with no CB if we keep Pogba, Sign a Starting CDM (Rice) and Starting Forward ( Halaand/Sancho)

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He would be the first french player of his caliber to do it in a very long time, so it would definitely be a strange sight.
Sure, but most of that time the league did not count on a team being able to attract Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Di Maria, Thiago Silva, Icardi, Draxler and the likes. Of course it was not Ligue 1 that was calling those players' attention, was it?

JPRouve

Scout
Sure, but most of that time the league did not count on a team being able to attract Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Di Maria, Thiago Silva, Icardi, Draxler and the likes. Of course it was not Ligue 1 that was calling those players' attention, was it?
Can I express surprise if it happens?

MUFC OK

Perfect addition for us to partner Maguire. I believe CB pairing is why ole insists on Fred/Mctom and so CB is still top priority for me.

Sadly we've missed out on about 20-30 'perfect additions' in the last 10 years or so. Glazers will not spend more than £40m for any player, I'm convinced.

Monger

Perfect addition for us to partner Maguire. I believe CB pairing is why ole insists on Fred/Mctom and so CB is still top priority for me.
I don't believe there are many CB of his calibre who are going to be available this summer and he'd be ideal partner for Maguire, as Varane will be inclined to sit if Maguire pushes forward.

A strong back 4 will provide option for more expansive midfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First time I've seen him in a while tonight.... all over the place

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
First time I've seen him in a while tonight.... all over the place
Hasn’t been helped by woeful partners at the back. They’re are ageing and don’t have the pace anymore so are making up with experience. Chelsea’s forwards are fitter, younger and quicker but having said that Varane has coped well in very difficult conditions.

Rather him than Lindelhof. God knows what he would have done in that rain

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's a bang average defender. Not bad on the ball though.

mu4c_20le

Can't judge him from one game where the entire back line was all over the place. Marcelo reminded me of Young and not in the good way.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Want him as much as I wanted him two hours ago.

Those who think he's only worth a pittance (with that year left) or think he's massively overrated, are you fine with seeing him joining Chelsea?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's been shit for years. Maguire and Lindelof are better defenders than him.

Eddy_JukeZ

He hasn't been good for a while now and always looks much worse without Ramos in there.

Would pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.