Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

I wouldn't.
It's a difficult one. I think the big issue is that no matter how talented a player might be there is always a chance they can crumble in super high pressure like it's sure to be at United. Varane has his own question marks but leadership and dealing with the highest of pressure is something we know for sure he can do. While we have a "project" CB in Tuanzebe, an established winner makes sense.

If possible I would go for Varane; you just don't say no to this type of player. If one year he is rubbish, we can always sell and still get good money.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's a difficult one. I think the big issue is that no matter how talented a player might be there is always a chance they can crumble in super high pressure like it's sure to be at United. Varane has his own question marks but leadership and dealing with the highest of pressure is something we know for sure he can do. While we have a "project" CB in Tuanzebe, an established winner makes sense.

If possible I would go for Varane; you just don't say no to this type of player. If one year he is rubbish, we can always sell and still get good money.
Tuanzebe is lightyears off Kounde. I don't know why people are so dismissive of Kounde and suggestively pro Varane even though he as you say, has his own issues. Kounde looks a more proactive defender than Varane which is more complimentary to Maguire.

I think Varane only makes sense if it's a cut price deal because of his contract situation.

jackal&hyde

Tuanzebe is lightyears off Kounde. I don't know why people are so dismissive of Kounde and suggestively pro Varane even though he as you say, has his own issues. Kounde looks a more proactive defender than Varane which is more complimentary to Maguire.

I think Varane only makes sense if it's a cut price deal because of his contract situation.
I'll only speak for myself and say that I think we are at a point where we can't risk a potential period of adaptation for a CB. We need first 11 and do the job right now. Varane makes more sense in this context imo. At least from a psychological POV we know for sure Varane will not be phased by any pressure. I'd be more the happy with Kounde too don't get me wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'll only speak for myself and say that I think we are at a point where we can't risk a potential period of adaptation for a CB. We need first 11 and do the job right now. Varane makes more sense in this context imo. At least from a psychological POV we know for sure Varane will not be phased by any pressure. I'd be more the happy with Kounde too don't get me wrong.
On the contrary, I think the pressure and responsibility is exactly what Varane needs right now to get his focus back.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Given how Varane seems to be more casual over the last couple years in his play, not making the most of his physical attributes (maybe because of his long injury layoff?), I feel he will be as much a risk as Kounde would. Just for different reasons.

For me it's more about who would slot into our defence better to plug areas of weakness we have most.

jackal&hyde

On the contrary, I think the pressure and responsibility is exactly what Varane needs right now to get his focus back.
Why is that on the contrary? I said we know he can handle that as he did both at club and NT level. A new challenge might bring him back to his best as you say.
Given how Varane seems to be more casual over the last couple years in his play, not making the most of his physical attributes (maybe because of his long injury layoff?), I feel he will be as much a risk as Kounde would. Just for different reasons.

For me it's more about who would slot into our defence better to plug areas of weakness we have most.
Yeah, I can't deny any of that. It's a debate for sure.

A Varane at his best, with his pace and quality of both defense and on the ball is superb, even if he is not the aggressive defender Maguire might need; but does he still want to get there? He is imo an 80+mil defender that we might get for a lot less and is worth the gamble. At the very least we know he will not crumble for 2 years under the spotlight like a Fred or Lindelof.

Assuming Varane is a genuine possibility this is an important decision for the club to make. If we go for a young up and comer and it doesn't work, we will be crucified for not signing the obvious WC player; if we go for Varane and it doesn't work, it happens. That's how I see it. We just have to go for him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
@jackal&hyde i was agreeing with you. Just saying that on the contrary to being affected by pressure I think it will be good for him.

A-man

How good is he against PL teams? I only remember City last year where he struggled with high press and basically was a disaster, singlehandedly giving away two goals. And the he wasn’t really great vs Chelsea this season either. Anybody remember other matches?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I read an article the other day stating he wasn’t always first choice under ancelotti. Tbh I think there are quite a few CBs available who would be an upgrade for us and I’m confident we’ll sign one of them so I’m fairly chilled about the whole thing. The fact he has one year left on his deal and is ready to walk into the side day one appeals but if Madrid are asking stupid money then move on.
Well, but that wasn't so strange because Pepe was around. I think the best Pepe I saw played under Ancelotti.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, but that wasn't so strange because Pepe was around. I think the best Pepe I saw played under Ancelotti.
Varane was in his early 20s when Ancelotti left, he wasn't supposed to be a starter for Madrid but the understudy behind Pepe and Ramos. Though by the end of Ancelotti's second season Varane was a starter in the league.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Varane was in his early 20s when Ancelotti left, he wasn't supposed to be a starter for Madrid but the understudy behind Pepe and Ramos. Though by the end of Ancelotti's second season Varane was a starter in the league.
Exactly.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
The point of the article was he isn’t going to magically change his mind and sign a new deal because Carlo is back if he didn’t even start under him first time around.
Yes, I understand the point, it's just that I don't agree Varane being third CB back is necessarily something remarkable here, because imo it obeyed to purely meritocratic aspects.

Pepe was still amazing back then.

If you want to hear my opinion though, it's the contract's conditions and the fee that will be offered what is going to make the difference here, not Carlo.

And am I not right in thinking he was first choice at younger age under Mourinho?
He was, but mostly because Pepe criticized Mourinho about the way he treated Casillas. Before that Pepe was the starter.

JPRouve

Scout
No Varane wasn't a first choice for Mourinho, in fact Mourinho left him out more than Ancelotti did. In 2013-2014 Varane wasn't available to Ancelotti for a large portion of the season due to injuries, yet he roughly played the same amount of minutes that he played the previous season for Mourinho.

OleBoiii

If we sign him...

Melody: The Pink Panther Theme

Varane, Varane
Varane, Varane, Varane
Varane, Varane
Raphael Varane

Shimo

Surely by now United hierarchy should have learned that Madrid important to the team players that are looking at a contract renewal situation use our name to gain bargaining leverage.

We need to focus on other more realistic options and not end up trying to scramble last minute for some 3rd or 4th tier option that will not help us improve.

JPRouve

Scout
Surely by now United hierarchy should have learned that Madrid important to the team players that are looking at a contract renewal situation use our name to gain bargaining leverage.

We need to focus on other more realistic options and not end up trying to scramble last minute for some 3rd or 4th tier option that will not help us improve.
The Varane case is longer than the usual contract renewal situations, it's since 2018/2019 and Madrid have reportedly tried to offer him several improved contracts since 2019 but he rejected the idea of extending.

croadyman

We have seen this film before but deluding myself into hoping it has a different ending this time

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We have seen this film before but deluding myself into hoping it has a different ending this time
Didn't they already offer him a contract, but it wasn't about the money - apparently? Anyhow, the solid bet is he stays, the muppet dream is that he actually wants a change. And that that change would be going to play for Ole. A long shot, but that's muppetry.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Personally, I just feel that to see the best of Maguire, he needs an experienced campaigner next to him.
Someone that doesn't need guidance and has been there and done it all before.
This is why I feel that Varane or even Koulibaly would be the ideal choice, as much as I like some of the younger CBs that are being mentioned.

Hughes35

Would be a great signing.... Like really good.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't sign a new contract with Madrid though.

hubbuh

Straight swap for Pogba? Then we can focus all our efforts on bolstering the midfield and signing Sancho (and Trippier if he wants it).

Nick.

I still am unsure, remember the game against City last year where he had a nightmare without Ramos by his side? I think he is a follower, not a leader.

red thru&thru

I still am unsure, remember the game against City last year where he had a nightmare without Ramos by his side? I think he is a follower, not a leader.
I'm unsure of him too. In regards to a follower, I agree. But in theory, Maguire is a leader, so Varane should be fine.

Woodzy

Luckily we don't need a leader next to Harry Maguire, we just need a less shit Lindelof.

bosskeano

The first time that Varane played for Ancelotti they had a falling out and Varane sat the bench for most of his time there. I think that is a driving force behind his exit plans along with his contract issues.

Varance would be ideal alongside Maguire to bring a sense of calmness and experience. He's a top class defender who's good in the air and he's good with his feet.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Almost too good to be true. Dealing with Madrid usually looks like artificial, overblown saga, he can sign new contract soon, no surprise in that.

In the end I'm glad we're trying to actually do something. Two things that could keep this alive is Madrid poised to refresh the squad which is close to truth and Varane supposedly wanting totally new challenge.

JPRouve

Scout
Based on what is said about him around the french team, he is supposed to be a leader, the quite type but still a respected leader which is why he is the vice-captain.

El Zoido

Straight swap for Pogba? Then we can focus all our efforts on bolstering the midfield and signing Sancho (and Trippier if he wants it).
Pogba is worth much more, it goes beyond their performances on the pitch. Every sponsor of Madrid will be phoning the club up wanting a piece of Pogba modelling their product, this is why he’s paid so highly. You don’t really get that to the same degree with someone like Varane. Pogba reaches a much wider market, so no I absolutely would not accept a straight swap.

croadyman

Pogba is worth much more, it goes beyond their performances on the pitch. Every sponsor of Madrid will be phoning the club up wanting a piece of Pogba modelling their product, this is why he’s paid so highly. You don’t really get that to the same degree with someone like Varane. Pogba reaches a much wider market, so no I absolutely would not accept a straight swap.
Yeah the marketing thing is another reason why he won't be allowed to leave this summer either

croadyman

Almost too good to be true. Dealing with Madrid usually looks like artificial, overblown saga, he can sign new contract soon, no surprise in that.

In the end I'm glad we're trying to actually do something. Two things that could keep this alive is Madrid poised to refresh the squad which is close to truth and Varane supposedly wanting totally new challenge.
Yeah at least we are trying to make it happen and with enough time to look elsewhere if necessary, however you are right it definitely seems too good to be true much like that 90s ice cream brand I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.