Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

I disagree with this, Chelsea aren't even close to having one of the best squads in the domestic league. The main difference is they have a very good manager while United are still seeing how far Ole can go in terms of his managerial capabilities.
They looked closer to being capable of a title run in the near future during the last four months of the season than we did, there's no disputing it. Their squad is comparable but their manager is far better.

No European or domestic player is going to actively choose United over Chelsea if titles are their priority. We're on a fairly even footing but they have the edge because they've literally just won the most coveted club trophy for feck sake. If belief in the manager is a big factor, Tuchel is obviously going to beat out Ole 100 times out of 100. If it's about location, when it comes to footballers preferences London always beats Manchester, as we know.

That's the depressing reality. That's what you get from 8 years of Woodward and abysmal managerial appointments, for different reasons, one after the other, and disastrous signings and ridiculous contracts handed out like candy to players who haven't come close to earning them.

Last edited:

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
I disagree with this, Chelsea aren't even close to having one of the best squads in the domestic league. The main difference is they have a very good manager while United are still seeing how far Ole can go in terms of his managerial capabilities.
Chelsea’s squad is second only to Man City in the premier league

City
Chelsea
United
Liverpool
Tottenham

In terms of squads for me, if anything it shows you just how good Klopp has been for Liverpool

theklr

Which they got through undefeated.

Do you think we'd have done that? We lost to Istanbul and Villarreal. And Leipzig and PSG and, over 90 minutes, Roma. It's too embarrassing to even compare it.
We’d walked that group no problem.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which they got through undefeated.

Do you think we'd have done that? We lost to Istanbul and Villarreal. And Leipzig and PSG and, over 90 minutes, Roma. It's too embarrassing to even compare it.
Yes, comfortably

Kostov

City probably edges it, but they are easily second in this regard.

cyberman

Yep, theyre the 4th best team in the league until proven otherwise. They just arent a well balanced team imo. Need another CB, FB, midfielder, RM and St before they even enter the conversation. I cant see the style that won the CL translate to league success. You really have to bring the game to the opposition to even threaten the top 2. They dont score enough goals

RUCK4444

Players who don’t support United (or maybe even some that do) don’t think about the same things that we fans do.

They consider recent trophies and the set up of he club, in conjunction with the location.

Unfortunately Chelsea are based in London which is massively more attractive than Manchester to foreign players and they’ve won things, big things more recently than us, plus the manager has a bigger reputation that ours.

We love our club but footballers don’t really love any club, they just look at what is best for their careers. Really the only thing we do better than Chelsea currently is over pay players, which does attract a certain type at least.

Remove your emotion from it and look at it rationally instead.
They won a cup competition, we finished ahead of them in the league.

We pay better and have genuine prestige and massive global following which provides the best possible platform for players commercially.

I am thinking rationally, a cup win is making others here hysterical more like.

Womp

idiot
They won a cup competition, we finished ahead of them in the league.

We pay better and have genuine prestige and massive global following which provides the best possible platform for players commercially.

I am thinking rationally, a cup win is making others here hysterical more like.
Winning the fecking champions league is not just a 'cup win'. We also finished ahead of them but since Tuchel has come in they've won more points than us. Not to add we haven't won a trophy in feck knows how long - our manager hasn't won a trophy in even longer.

Also while I agree on your point about the commercial benefit, clubs like Chelsea really aren't that far behind anymore imo. Especially as kids really aren't growing United fans anymore.

As much as we all love the club, people need to see the state of this club for what it is. Players aren't going to turn their noses at other clubs at the slight chance United is interested anymore.

We will always have pull because of the status of the club, see Madrid etc. But you really can't overlook the value players put in project. Look at Mbappe's comments everytime he is asked about his future, for example. He speaks as if he has assessed the clubs and their footballing structure

RUCK4444

Winning the fecking champions league is not just a 'cup win'. We also finished ahead of them but since Tuchel has come in they've won more points than us. Not to add we haven't won a trophy in feck knows how long - our manager hasn't won a trophy in even longer.

Also while I agree on your point about the commercial benefit, clubs like Chelsea really aren't that far behind anymore imo. Especially as kids really aren't growing United fans anymore.

As much as we all love the club, people need to see the state of this club for what it is. Players aren't going to turn their noses at other clubs at the slight chance United is interested anymore.
Oh god the ‘alternative table’ since a manager arrived.

We had one of them with Ole, looked incredible, nobody here gave it any credibility. Only when it’s other managers.

He did well to win the CL, of course, but winning a handful of ties against formerly great teams (currently the worst they have been in recent memory) doesn’t make them the best club team in Europe ffs...

cyberman

Downplaying the CL win seems a bit silly when its what a lot of us are pining for.
Its not downplaying, its using the win in the wrong context.
I actually think Tuchels accompishment gets underplayed with this hype, theyve finished 4th 2 seasons in a row now, really should be fifth last year. . Thats the squad that Tuchel won the CL with. Pretending theyre almost on Citys level takes away just how huge that win was for him and if it were any other team in another league who finished 4th we would not be putting them near Citys level. We would appreciate just how much of a longshot they were a lot more.

Womp

idiot
Oh god the ‘alternative table’ since a manager arrived.

We had one of them with Ole, looked incredible, nobody here gave it any credibility. Only when it’s other managers.

He did well to win the CL, of course, but winning a handful of ties against formerly great teams (currently the worst they have been in recent memory) doesn’t make them the best club team in Europe ffs...
You use the point that we finished ahead of them as some sort of positive but when I bring up the fact that he has out performed our manager by the same metric since coming into the club, it's a pointless statistic?

Also he beat the best team in Spain and the best team in England, arguably the world on his way to his title win. So yes, I'd say they are a better footballing club than the mighty second place United who registered two shots on goal in 120 minutes against middle table Villareal in their b-tech European final

JB7

They looked closer to being capable of a title run in the near future during the last four months of the season than we did, there's no disputing it. Their squad is comparable but their manager is far better.
They earned 4 points more than us after Tuchel came in despite us essentially throwing a couple of games near the end when we had the ridiculous week where it felt like we played every day. They went into the final day expecting to need a result at Villa and lost. So yeah, it definitely can be disputed.

Pickle85

Will you stop wanking over a 2nd place finish? Nobody fecking cares. Chelsea just won the Champions League of course they are in a much better situation.
Oh grow up...nobody's 'wanking over' anything. What are you, twelve? I'm merely pointing out that we're not considerably less attractive as a proposition than Chelsea. Just because you announce it as self-evident doesn't make it so. We can pay on a par with the best, we offer an enormous platform for a player to grow their 'brand' (again, shudder, but it's something they consider these days), in a team that's on the up. Chelsea were one game away from winning nothing - fine margins.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Please for the love of God can we talk Varane, are we still trying to Negotiate with his camp?

Kostov

Oh grow up...nobody's 'wanking over' anything. What are you, twelve? I'm merely pointing out that we're not considerably less attractive as a proposition than Chelsea. Just because you announce it as self-evident doesn't make it so. We can pay on a par with the best, we offer an enormous platform for a player to grow their 'brand' (again, shudder, but it's something they consider these days), in a team that's on the up. Chelsea were one game away from winning nothing - fine margins.
We are a considerably less attractive destination than Chelsea this summer, only a United fan can think otherwise. We finished second and bottled the season ending like peak Tottenham, while Chelsea won the most prestigious club competition, on top of that already big talks about Haaland, while we still chase the last year should have been reinforcement. Any sane trophy driven player, will probably choose Chelsea over us.

Pickle85

We are a considerably less attractive destination than Chelsea this summer, only a United fan can think otherwise. We finished second and bottled the season ending like peak Tottenham, while Chelsea won the most prestigious club competition, on top of that already big talks about Haaland, while we still chase the last year should have been reinforcement. Any sane trophy driven player, will probably choose Chelsea over us.
Wow - 'big talks' about Haaland. Guess that means they're definitely getting him then, hmm? Rumours are that Dortmund will keep him for another year and the player himself has said he's happy there. Are you just believing media chat in this instance because it's about a team other than United? Yet you somehow try to spin our (confirmed) bids for Sancho as a negative?! There's no reasoning with you - it's like you're looking for things to be despondent about regarding United. The world is a sad enough place already, mate, without trying to find things to be depressed about...

Reactions: Sultan

Kostov

Wow - 'big talks' about Haaland. Guess that means they're definitely getting him then, hmm? Rumours are that Dortmund will keep him for another year and the player himself has said he's happy there. Are you just believing media chat in this instance because it's about a team other than United? Yet you somehow try to spin our (confirmed) bids for Sancho as a negative?! There's no reasoning with you - it's like you're looking for things to be despondent about regarding United. The world is a sad enough place already, mate, without trying to find things to be depressed about...
I believe in those reports much more not just because the media is saying it pal, mainly due to the fact that they go out there and do their business. They did their transfers last year, big ones also Havertz/Werner without much fuss, while we are the epitome of shit dealings and failure on the transfer market. Wake the feck up and smell the coffee, it's the reality. In order of us to being able to compete we need to do Sancho, a top CDM, top CB and a top striker this summer. Can you imagine us doing that? Of course fecking not. And no, no United fan wants to feel that way about our club, but that is the vibes you get from the results and the management 8 years in continuity, it's not about getting depressed, but instead talking about our real possibilities.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I believe in those reports much more not just because the media is saying it pal, mainly due to the fact that they go out there and do their business. They did their transfers last year, big ones also Havertz/Werner without much fuss, while we are the epitome of shit dealings and failure on the transfer market. Wake the feck up and smell the coffee, it's the reality. In order of us to being able to compete we need to do Sancho, a top CDM, top CB and a top striker this summer. Can you imagine us doing that? Of course fecking not. And no, no United fan wants to feel that way about our club, but that is the vibes you get from the results and the management 8 years in continuity, it's not about getting depressed, but instead talking about our real possibilities.
You lost me at Havertz without much fuss.

Oddboy

There is no way this transfer is happening - remember Ramos 2015? Another ploy to smooth over contract negotiations. Although maybe I'm just super cynical these days after being burned so many times!

Kostov

You lost me at Havertz without much fuss.
No briefs about Corona enviroment, about agents fees being too high, about this or that, bought the guy and he scored in the CL final for them. Let's see what the club brings in for Ole after getting us to second this year, I bet they find some new excuse.

Varane would be a coup for the right price, but doubt we can do it.

RkkMan

No briefs about Corona enviroment, about agents fees being too high, about this or that, bought the guy and he scored in the CL final for them. Let's see what the club brings in for Ole after getting us to second this year, I bet they find some new excuse.

Varane would be a coup for the right price, but doubt we can do it.
You're only talking like this because you followed the saga at face value. I followed the Havertz saga on twitter from the start there was a lot of noise around it and Leverkusen even apparently delayed a deal from happening sooner because they wanted to get further in the Europa League Chelsea fans themselves were getting annoyed. Sancho was a noisier saga but Utd despite what people think made the right call walking away from BVB's demands NOBODY was ever paying £108m UP FRONT during a pandemic the mistake we made was not walking away sooner to reinvest in other areas. The other guy was right though this defiast everyone is better than Utd mentality that is over stretched and over sensationalized by doom mongerers is exaggerated and pointless. I don't see a DM happening but Sancho, Trippier and a CB is very realistic and a good window

Reactions: Sultan

arthurka

If there is a possibility to get Varane we should be all over that. But Ancelotti coming to Real could hurt that chance. Didnt they have a very good relationship?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If there is a possibility to get Varane we should be all over that. But Ancelotti coming to Real could hurt that chance. Didnt they have a very good relationship?
I don't know if they had a good relationship or not but if reports are correct that's not the reason he would stay or leave. It's allegedly about experiencing a new challenge in a different environment.

Last edited:

theklr

I don't know if they had a good relationship or not but if reports are correct that's the reason he would stay or leave. It's allegedly about experiencing a new challenge in a different environment.
Or getting paid more and not beeing appreciated enough by Perez in that regard I guess.

JPRouve

Scout
Or getting paid more and not beeing appreciated enough by Perez in that regard I guess.
The reports have been consistent in the past 3 years and money hasn't been an issue, he allegedly hasn't even tried to negotiate with Madrid who have tried to increase his wage multiple times. Not even Madrid's mouthpiece have tried to sell the idea that it was about money.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't know if they had a good relationship or not but if reports are correct that's the reason he would stay or leave. It's allegedly about experiencing a new challenge in a different environment.
I don't think Ancelotti will be getting carte blanche and I think that Real prefer to keep Ramos and sell Varane. I mean, Perez said that Varane could leave in that bizarre Euro League interview.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think Ancelotti will be getting carte blanche and I think that Real prefer to keep Ramos and sell Varane. I mean, Perez said that Varane could leave in that bizarre Euro League interview.
Madrid offered contracts to Varane, so it's not a matter of preferring Ramos over Varane, they actively want Varane. Here the question is what Varane wants to do and Madrid has no power over it, Varane will only be sold if he wants to and he will only extend if he wants to.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Madrid offered contracts to Varane, so it's not a matter of preferring Ramos over Varane, they actively want Varane. Here the question is what Varane wants to do and Madrid has no power over it, Varane will only be sold if he wants to and he will only extend if he wants to.
Madrid are looking for cash. They've already gotten Alaba for free who can replace Varane. So they could see selling Varane as a good way to get money

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Madrid offered contracts to Varane, so it's not a matter of preferring Ramos over Varane, they actively want Varane. Here the question is what Varane wants to do and Madrid has no power over it, Varane will only be sold if he wants to.
Agreed. Perez wants both to stay but he trouble as one is about to leave and another will leave in 12 months. Hard to say which one Perez would prefer to keep.

arthurka

Waasn´t that before they got Ancelotti?

I don't know if they had a good relationship or not but if reports are correct that's not the reason he would stay or leave. It's allegedly about experiencing a new challenge in a different environment.
So going to Salford would be enticing?

JPRouve

Scout
Madrid are looking for cash. They've already gotten Alaba for free who can replace Varane. So they could see selling Varane as a good way to get money
It's irrelevant what Madrid needs, players are only transferred if they want to. And they allegedly offered Varane a contract, so they are not really looking to make money from him.

JPRouve

Scout
So going to Salford would be enticing?
Honestly it's a weird one, I don't really know an other player in that situation outside of Cristiano Ronaldo, the press seems to be in agreement that he isn't negotiating for a new contract and his agent has been consistent in saying that his client thinks about starting a new cycle somewhere else because he won everything at Madrid.

arthurka

Who knows mate. If I did I'd be like Romano spreading that shit all over twitter.
True, but anyway half of that shit is wrong anyway so it looks like something most of us could do.

Honestly it's a weird one, I don't really know an other player in that situation outside of Cristiano Ronaldo, the press seems to be in agreement that he isn't negotiating for a new contract and his agent has been consistent in saying that his client thinks about starting a new cycle somewhere else because he won everything at Madrid.
Yeah that´s strange, but we could pay him decent wages and could be on the way to build something.

MUFC OK

How are Chelsea WAY ahead of us in terms of attractiveness? Jesus, some of our fans have the most unbelievable (and unfounded) inferiority complexes. Granted, they won CL last year but we finished above them in the league, pay on a par with them and offer a bigger platform for players interested in their *shudder* marketability. The way some of you lot go on it's like clubs can just take players off us at will. There remain very few clubs with as significant a global following and that are willing and able to pay with the best. We're not Spurs ffs.
They're the European Champions, we didnt make it our of the group stage and havent been in a final in over 10 years. Players on the continent and overseas are more concerned with CL performance than whether we finished above them in the league..

Status
Not open for further replies.