Raphinha - Now on deferred wages at Barca / UNLUCKY LuckyScout

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
The main issue with this Rafinha deal from a United perspective is what the fee does to the evaluation of Antony, giving that Ajax are already reluctant to sell after losing so many bodies, the latter starts ahead of the former for their national team and is younger. No wonder we're now hearing noises of Ajax wanting £80m for Antony. Bit annoying really. We should have had that deal wrapped up before the markets started moving if Antony, as we're lead to believe is our number one RW target.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He was never getting Raphinha.
We would have been a very decent option for him still. Barcelona would always have been first choice, let's be clear on that. However it was clear to see they didn't have the money needed.

Chelsea were always the worry in the background, and I think while they were struggling to get the likes of Dembele & Sterling over the line they always had the capability to strike.

I think we'd have still been an attractive proposition. Your talking about moving from Leeds to London, for a club looking to break top 4, with 3 of your international team mates already there, with a technical director from that country as well and head coach with background closer to your own.

Not going to kick the toys out the pram over it though, Chelsea are just a higher level than us in most aspects these days. We need to build back to that level.

Telsim

The state of this sport, where players like Raphinha go for €75M. That's absolutely mental for someone like him. But then again, we bought Maguire for €80M.

I was doubting Ajax would really ask that much for Antony, but now I think they actually will. We might actually need to go for Gnabry, unless Bayern also demand that much. BuLi players though... :nervous:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If what you want to want from a winger is dribbling, taking players on, stretching the width, pace, and scoring goals then Ziyech isn't the player for us. Look at how he played in ajax and look at how he plays in Chelsea. His play style hinges on him dropping deep and pinging in crosses. He struggles because he's actually not a winger, and Chelsea's system hinges on Ziyech functioning as an orthodox forward. He was shit under Lampard's 4ATB system too.

I'd rather we not become the dumping ground of mediocre Dutch talents. Pass.
That’s not true.

A bit injury prone maybe, but shit he was not.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No surprise this lad has generated a bidding war. Absolutely class and its a shame we aren't in for him.

Abraxas

Left footed playing on the right which probably commands a premium. I am sure Leeds and Ajax know full well how rare these players are as commodities. Everyone wants a class inside forward these days and they're far easier to get on the left. Raphinha is also a PL player which guarantees his fee is going to be at a certain level and obviously above Phillips as he's far better. So the fee is pretty logical, it probably still makes a lot of sense to buy him.

BlackShark_80

The main issue with this Rafinha deal from a United perspective is what the fee does to the evaluation of Antony, giving that Ajax are already reluctant to sell after losing so many bodies, the latter starts ahead of the former for their national team and is younger. No wonder we're now hearing noises of Ajax wanting £80m for Antony. Bit annoying really. We should have had that deal wrapped up before the markets started moving if Antony, as we're lead to believe is our number one RW target.
Err..no, it is the opposite. Tite always started Raphinha ahead of Antony. Raphinha is just the better player at the moment, although Antony has higher ceiling.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The state of this sport, where players like Raphinha go for €75M. That's absolutely mental for someone like him. But then again, we bought Maguire for €80M.

I was doubting Ajax would really ask that much for Antony, but now I think they actually will. We might actually need to go for Gnabry, unless Bayern also demand that much. BuLi players though... :nervous:
If Sancho is worth £70m, or Grealish £100, then Raphinha is easily worth what’s being quoted.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Whats with the Raphinha hate? the guy is class. He was doing fantastic things at Leeds. Amongst a team that doesn't fall apart every 2 minutes he will put up serious numbers.

Whenever we played Leeds he was the only guy that did anything against us.

Telsim

If Sancho is worth £70m, or Grealish £100, then Raphinha is easily worth what’s being quoted.
Sancho definitely has more potential than Raphinha and was 21 when we bought him. Grealish, do you think he was worth that? I do not. Pretty shit transfer so far.

Raphinha is good, but definitely not as good as people here make him out to be. Plus, he will be 26 next year. I think Chelsea are overpaying quite a bit.

Grande

Left footed playing on the right which probably commands a premium. I am sure Leeds and Ajax know full well how rare these players are as commodities. Everyone wants a class inside forward these days and they're far easier to get on the left. Raphinha is also a PL player which guarantees his fee is going to be at a certain level and obviously above Phillips as he's far better. So the fee is pretty logical, it probably still makes a lot of sense to buy him.
I have an idea. Why don’t we buy Antony for 90m and use him as a touchline hugging LW?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Sancho definitely has more potential than Raphinha and was 21 when we bought him. Grealish, do you think he was worth that? I do not. Pretty shit transfer so far.

Raphinha is good, but definitely not as good as people here make him out to be. Plus, he will be 26 next year. I think Chelsea are overpaying quite a bit.
I’d rather have Raphinha than Sancho tbh.

And while Grealish isn’t worth 100m, it doesn’t matter - it still affects the valuation of other players in the same league.

It’s why you pay £100 for a pair of trainers that cost £4 to make - because once someone will pay it, the price gradually rises until everyone’s paying it!

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Err..no, it is the opposite. Tite always started Raphinha ahead of Antony. Raphinha is just the better player at the moment, although Antony has higher ceiling.
Just checked. It appears you are correct. Rafinha starts ahead of him. Makes sense tbf. Based on the eye test, Rafinha is the better and refined choice at the moment whereas Antony has the higher boom or bust potential. Hopefully it's the latter aye? Fans will need to manage their expectations of him for the next year and a bit.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair deco is also one of Barca scout for South Americans.
Yeh just a bit convenient he is there the day after we agree a deal, and supposedly within days of their economic levers being authorised

redcucumber

I really think we'd look amazing with a forward that has that much movement, even if obviously he's not particularly clinical. Ten Hag would love him.
Movement is only one element of forward play. Werner is lacking in so many areas, not least in mentality needed to make it at the absolute top. No doubt he's available, so if ten Hag wanted him I'm sure he could get him.

Telsim

And while Grealish isn’t worth 100m, it doesn’t matter - it still affects the valuation of other players in the same league.

It’s why you pay £100 for a pair of trainers that cost £4 to make - because once someone will pay it, the price gradually rises until everyone’s paying it!
You are confusing valuation and worth. Leeds can value Raphinha at 1 billion euro if they want. He is not worth it. Just as he is not worth 75M euro. Worth would be determined by how his performance compares to others in the same role across the league and beyond and his contribution to the team, which would be the result of his overall ability. Which is what I doubt - his overall ability. I don't think it's worth what is being paid for it.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

With Sterling possibly off wouldn’t it open Graelish up for minutes and also let’s see how Graelish links up with Haaland. Might very well be a great partnership

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Chelsea fans have probably been taking the piss out of Arsenal fans over hijacking the deal and all

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea fans have probably been taking the piss out of Arsenal fans over hijacking the deal and all
This would be the funniest part and would ease the burn of losing out.
Deco and Raphinha making Boehly and Edu dance for him, only to get to Barca :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

That's a crazy statement, Raphinha is nowhere close to Sancho. There isn't really anything that Raphina is better than Sancho at. But anyway. People love underrating our own players I guess.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This would be the funniest part and would ease the burn of losing out.
Deco and Raphinha making Boehly and Edu dance for him, only to get to Barca :lol:
The last 24 hours have been so funny. Hijackers hijacking hijackers :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.