Raphinha - Now on deferred wages at Barca / UNLUCKY LuckyScout

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Presidente

It can only come from one place: KSE. If everything pans out, these 2 summer window will be exceptions rather than the norm. We've had to clear so much deadwood, we couldn't even field a team to play. :smirk:
EL + 5 subs rule + new US owner at Chelsea makes for a great dick measuring contest. They're also financing a refurbishing of the Emirates.
The Glazers and Kroenke have been here for more than a decade and I've never seen more disinterested, unambitious owners so it's hardly that.

Redcy

I get it Raphinha is a decent player, his stats show that he helps in defending from the front and has decent progression. Where he is poor is in keeping possession, and my feeling is he is very much a winger. Now Antony who we seem to be interested in has a way more fluid playing style, could Raphinha do the same? maybe, but I think ETH just knows Antony. ETH needs his RW to be able to drop back and play as a right midfielder, if they switch to 442 out of possession. Same with de Jong, when he was at his best he switched to playing LCB fluidly during the game, and became a ball playing CB in a 343. Having watched a bunch of videos I can see why ETH might think he needs players who understand these key positions

croadyman

I get it Raphinha is a decent player, his stats show that he helps in defending from the front and has decent progression. Where he is poor is in keeping possession, and my feeling is he is very much a winger. Now Antony who we seem to be interested in has a way more fluid playing style, could Raphinha do the same? maybe, but I think ETH just knows Antony. ETH needs his RW to be able to drop back and play as a right midfielder, if they switch to 442 out of possession. Same with de Jong, when he was at his best he switched to playing LCB fluidly during the game, and became a ball playing CB in a 343. Having watched a bunch of videos I can see why ETH might think he needs players who understand these key positions
Yeah got no issues with Erik wanting to bring in 2/3 players who already know how he works

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The Glazers and Kroenke have been here for more than a decade and I've never seen more disinterested, unambitious owners so it's hardly that.
Two big shifts occurred that seem to have significantly changed how the Kroenkes operate. First, four years ago they bought out Usmanov and other outstanding shares, then took the club fully private. This allows them to do things with the club financially that were more cumbersome and required much more transparency/public disclosure under the previous ownership model. There is also much more reason to invest in the club to raise its value now that they own all the shares (previously it was kind of counter-productive to invest money into the club to raise its value, as this would just raise the price of the shares held by others, which the Kroenkes were intent on buying). Second, around the same time Arteta arrived, Josh Kroenke became the de facto ownership figure. Stan Kroenke couldn't give a feck about Arsenal and was exactly as disinterested and unambitious as you say. Josh Kroenke is at the very least a lot more interested and involved. He is sort of an oligarch failson but seems to genuinely care about the club's success, has been quite involved in a way that his dad never was previously, and has convinced his father to cough up a fair amount of cash over the last few years.

I still have my gripes with them but they're not the Glazers.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Two big shifts occurred that seem to have significantly changed how the Kroenkes operate. First, four years ago they bought out Usmanov and other outstanding shares, then took the club fully private. This allows them to do things with the club financially that were more cumbersome and required much more transparency/public disclosure under the previous ownership model. There is also much more reason to invest in the club to raise its value now that they own all the shares (previously it was kind of counter-productive to invest money into the club to raise its value, as this would just raise the price of the shares held by others, which the Kroenkes were intent on buying). Second, around the same time Arteta arrived, Josh Kroenke became the de facto ownership figure. Stan Kroenke couldn't give a feck about Arsenal and was exactly as disinterested and unambitious as you say. Josh Kroenke is at the very least a lot more interested and involved. He is sort of an oligarch failson but seems to genuinely care about the club's success, has been quite involved in a way that his dad never was previously, and has convinced his father to cough up a fair amount of cash over the last few years.

I still have my gripes with them but they're not the Glazers.
The full Kroenke take over maybe another reason for the current levels of player investment. Investing heavily in the club possibly increases the clubs value and makes it's value higher. Thus it makes it harder for Kroenke to buy Usmanov out. Ofcourse that is debatable as the club is going more into debt to purchase players. Perhaps it is Josh Kroenke's sway with his father, it's hard to say. If the club wasn't investing it would have to accept it won't be a CL club in the future. So to a large extent we're mortgaging players now to bring CL money in the future. I don't think the club can continue to invest in this way if we don't make a few CL appearances.

ROFLUTION

It's so weird we're not after this guy - one of the best in the league last season overall.

We're lacking a RM and he has all the technique and individualism needed. Sure, he turns over the ball sometimes, but wingers does that in their effort to create stuff.

Joe Allen's succesfull passing-stats are not the measure-stick that should be used here.

romufc

It's so weird we're not after this guy - one of the best in the league last season overall.

We're lacking a RM and he has all the technique and individualism needed. Sure, he turns over the ball sometimes, but wingers does that in their effort to create stuff.

Joe Allen's succesfull passing-stats are not the measure-stick that should be used here.
I mean we are after Antony who is very similar to Raphinia and potentially better.

Red Royal

I mean we are after Antony who is very similar to Raphinia and potentially better.
This is an example of how we should negotiate.
We should enquire about Raphinia at least as an alternative to Antony, it would be a good plan B if weare after a RW (some would say he is better suited with PL experience) plus puts pressure on selling club to make a decision and not ask for ridiculous prices. Downside is the incoming player may not feel the love from the club if he is just one of a few options, but most players should know that.

Infra-red

We should enquire about Raphinia at least as an alternative to Antony, it would be a good plan B if weare after a RW (some would say he is better suited with PL experience) plus puts pressure on selling club to make a decision and not ask for ridiculous prices. Downside is the incoming player may not feel the love from the club if he is just one of a few options, but most players should know that.
We may well have enquired. We seem to be pretty keen on Antony - if we fail to buy him, it will likely be because Ajax priced us out of the move. Raphinha is likely to cost more than Antony, so wouldn't be a particularly good back up for him.

romufc

I get that but Raphinia is also more expensive, he has numerous options on the table as well, not an easy deal either.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
They’re selling Saka to City, he’s got 2 years left, not signing a new contract. City are shifting Sterling and Silva. I think a verbal agreement is already in place and they’re allowing arsenal to do their signings first, so they don’t have to pay inflated prices.
Arteta is going for the interchanging fluid route. With the 5 subs rule expect plenty of rotation between Saka, Raphina, Odegaard, Fabio, Martinelli, ESR.

Saka is still on holiday. Can he get back before the contract negotiations are discussed? No way Arsenal would do a back deal like that. As for where the money comes from. Well ever since the Kroenkes took full control we have spent a lot of money. Its gone unnoticed because a lot of it was squandered. But Josh Kroenke is taking more direct approach and is the heir to a 9 billion Walmart fortune on his mums sides, which is separate to Stans wealth. Apparently a loan facility has been created to Arsenal by the Kroenke's, similar to the one Abramovich had to Chelsea - the infamous 1 billion debt Chelsea accrued to him.

There is a renaissance at Arsenal. Were showing aggression and ambition in the transfer market like ive never seen. Its certainly not the Arsenal of under bidding and preference for raiding the academies of French and Spanish teams.

goalscholes

I wouldn’t say he’s poor at keeping possession. I’d say his role in the relatively poor Leeds side is to make magic happen, so he constantly takes players on, despite being doubled up on, and tries lots of killer passes to lower quality players.

Put him in a side where he isn’t the only outlet and he has more space/ less expectation, then his stats will significantly improve. The quality is definitely there.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Arteta is going for the interchanging fluid route. With the 5 subs rule expect plenty of rotation between Saka, Raphina, Odegaard, Fabio, Martinelli, ESR.

Saka is still on holiday. Can he get back before the contract negotiations are discussed? No way Arsenal would do a back deal like that. As for where the money comes from. Well ever since the Kroenkes took full control we have spent a lot of money. Its gone unnoticed because a lot of it was squandered. But Josh Kroenke is taking more direct approach and is the heir to a 9 billion Walmart fortune on his mums sides, which is separate to Stans wealth. Apparently a loan facility has been created to Arsenal by the Kroenke's, similar to the one Abramovich had to Chelsea - the infamous 1 billion debt Chelsea accrued to him.

There is a renaissance at Arsenal. Were showing aggression and ambition in the transfer market like ive never seen. Its certainly not the Arsenal of under bidding and preference for raiding the academies of French and Spanish teams.
Kroenke was effectively in control for many years where you spent nothing. I don’t see Saka signing a new deal and I see City very much going for him as they seem to be happy to let two wide players go.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Do you write your fanfictions for free ? They're pretty good, you should open a Patreon or something.
You should check out my previous ones, they were far more raunchy. One was about a captain cucking his team by saying “Ronaldo left United because he won everything, I’ll be leaving arsenal for the opposite reason”. The other was the next captain cucking his team by going to their one time rivals (in a land far far away in a time long long ago) and winning the league in the very first season, something his team couldn’t give him in 10 years. I need to warn you, it’s not kid friendly and you might be way too into it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You should check out my previous ones, they were far more raunchy. One was about a captain cucking his team by saying “Ronaldo left United because he won everything, I’ll be leaving arsenal for the opposite reason”. The other was the next captain cucking his team by going to their one time rivals (in a land far far away in a time long long ago) and winning the league in the very first season, something his team couldn’t give him in 10 years. I need to warn you, it’s not kid friendly and you might be way too into it.
You definitey have a way with words, you got me hooked. Take my money !

SoCross

He’d instantly make Arsenal better. Expect a Sanchez like effect.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A good player that would fit well into a pressing structure but doesn't offer much protection for his RB. He gets dribbled past quite a lot too. I imagine he'd be pressing high up the pitch but with him on your RW you need a CM to drop back in to help your RB or a RB that can compensate for that. Would easily be hitting 15 G + A for Arsenal though which is as much as they'd probably expect and would allow them to compete for top 4 again.

SoCross

Sanchez was something else to be fair. Phenomenal at his peak
He won't. You can quote me on that.
He's a good player but Sanchez at his peak was top 5 player in the league, I don't see it with Raphinha.
Fair. Perhaps I got a bit too lost in my negative spiral with our lack of transfer business. But still expect him to emerge as a “leading player” and give Arsenal another dimension.

@bond19821982 sure hope so bud!

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He's a good player but Sanchez at his peak was top 5 player in the league, I don't see it with Raphinha.
I agree. He has lots of skills but this is a guy who didn't shine that brightly at Sporting and Rennes, then was transferred for just 17m two years ago to Leeds, and since then has scored 6 and 7 non-penalty goals in his two league seasons. He's a good player with the technical ability to play in any team, but he hasn't shown anything yet to suggest that he is a superstar in the making.

Leeds are apparently asking for £65m, which seems like £15-20m too much. I'd love Arsenal to get the player as part of our forward rotation but I want no part of paying that much money.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
But seriously, where are you getting this cash from?
Long overdue investment from our owners. He’s probably realized that his multi billion dollar asset is going to lose value the further we fall behind and the only way to close the gap is to start pumping money in. Could have done this years ago but better late then never.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Long overdue investment from our owners. He’s probably realized that his multi billion dollar asset is going to lose value the further we fall behind and the only way to close the gap is to start pumping money in. Could have done this years ago but better late then never.
Long overdue? :lol: You spent over £150 million just last season and almost £80 million the season before!

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Long overdue? :lol: You spent over £150 million just last season and almost £80 million the season before!
So? We were profitable for a very long time thanks to Wenger and had large cash reserves. Our stadium debt is significantly reduced to about 200m or less while yours is close to a billion.:lol: Now our owner is investing his own funds to allow us to sign players. About time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So? We were profitable for a very long time thanks to Wenger and had large cash reserves. Our stadium debt is significantly reduced to about 200m or less while yours is close to a billion.:lol: Now our owner is investing his own funds to allow us to sign players. About time.
I just have to laugh at you talking like Arsenal haven't spent a ton of cash over the last few seasons.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I just have to laugh at you talking like Arsenal haven't spent a ton of cash over the last few seasons.
I never said that. I said our owner hasn’t previously invested in the club which is true because we have been using our own funds.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As far as i remember Arsenal is not making profit for a while, so the transfer fund is either borrow from the bank or investment from the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.