Rashford and Martial are a problem

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rashford hasn’t been poor at all.

Martial is a waste of space when in this sort of form.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Rashford has shown he can have a poor game and still get you the winner. Martial hasn't.

Were an elite defender and an elite striker away from challenging.

Skills

Snitch
Were two of the most consistent forwards in the league last season

JJ12

I’d rather not turn this into Rashford vs Martial. The question is, can any fan of either player honestly say they’re consistently playing well enough?
What a brilliant thread idea if you didn’t want that to happen.

Rashford, yes. Martial, no.

Josep Dowling

Totally agree. Martial is 24 now and still as inconsistent as he was 3 years ago. Rashford’s decision making is awful at times.

paulscholes18

Both had really poor games today, both should have came of by the 60 minute mark

Gabagoo

Martial is very overrated on here. Rashford carries him.

Rashford and Greenwood are irreplaceable but Martial, as silky and talented as he is, could easily be upgraded in my opinion.

For the short term I'd start Cavani and bench Martial.

MiceOnMeth

I’d rather not turn this into Rashford vs Martial. The question is, can any fan of either player honestly say they’re consistently playing well enough?
I really thought Martial would kick on this season and become a Kane/Sterling level performer week in week out but if anything he's regressing.. Rashford I'm giving more leeway to since he had that bad injury

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ridiculous, they are our best players by mile in the past few years, and it's not even close. Our midfield is still average, we have no right wing, our fullbacks are appaling attcking wise, and our defence is shite.

Hammondo

I completely agree. Problem is that both of them are really poor at passing or being creative, they ruin so many good attacks. We should be working towards only playing one of them as our striker.

neilv93

Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.
Martial has. Extremely harsh on Rashford though, who has 7G/2A in 11 this season.

Nickosaur

I’d rather not turn this into Rashford vs Martial. The question is, can any fan of either player honestly say they’re consistently playing well enough to be the two main men up front for a club that is trying to win big trophies?
Which club are you referring to?

Skills

Snitch
I really thought Martial would kick on this season and become a Kane/Sterling level performer week in week out but if anything he's regressing.. Rashford I'm giving more leeway to since he had that bad injury
Yeah they really need to turn into Raheem Sterling - the bastion of consistency who scores half of his seasons goals in a run of about 10 games, and then looks like he can't kick a ball for the rest of the season.

We must be the only club in the world, who's most talented players are the problem.

Lee565

Mourinho had the better idea of rotating rashford and martial on left wing as neither are going to be good enough for the time being as our main striker to rely on consistently in that position

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Really poor today with their final pass. We could have won that by 4 or 5 with a bit more quality. Neither are a real 'problem' though.

dal

Rashford has been brilliant and so has his defence splitting passes.

Martial is going through the gears.

Bruno is badly out of form compared to last season in terms of general play.

We are going to absolutely batter someone soon in the league.

I think Jose was right that these two cant play at the same time, both are sooo inconsistent.

Idxomer

They need to improve their decision making, especially Rashford.

Stringer

Were two of the most consistent forwards in the league last season
Rashford wasn’t. He had a poor start to the season and wasn’t very good when the season resumed, albeit coming back from an injury.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Bit over the top reaction thread as Rashford has been good this season and Martial was banned for 3 games out of 7. Give it 4-5 more games

Nick7

Rashford has been good this season so far. Martial? Needs to improve a lot.

Raw

They're very frustrating. Like you said we can't rely on two inconsistent youngsters to do the business up front, in the hopes that they'll one day become world class. I think competition is needed, which they're not gonna get with Cavani long term.

Haaland would have been perfect :(

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Discuss.
Manchester United c. 2006?

JJ12

Mourinho had the better idea of rotating rashford and martial on left wing as neither are going to be good enough for the time being as our main striker to rely on consistently in that position
So Martial on the bench then. Rashford rarely plays through the middle

Red_toad

I’d rather not turn this into Rashford vs Martial. The question is, can any fan of either player honestly say they’re consistently playing well enough to be the two main men up front for a club that is trying to win big trophies?
Get in a coach who can work out how to get the best out of them! They’re both talented enough to play for teams looking to win big trophies.

cyberman

Theyre in a strange position. Rashford on bad days is a constant threat and Martial was holding the ball up really well for us in the first half.
Rashford has 1 on 1s every game, good or bad. His movement has become top class but he toes the ball too much. He needs needs more nuance to his finishing

Superunknown

Martial has been very disappointing. Hasn't got started. Seems to have taken many steps backwards and isn't doing what we need our star striker to be doing. Compared to how we attacked last year, this has been quite underwhelming.

tjb

Martial is out of form right now.. Hopefully he will get back to form pretty soon
Doesn't do enough consistently as an attacker for me. When you have the ball in the final third with the opportunity to create, a class player would create or score chances, usually making the right offensive decision. Unless tasked with finishing, both he and rashford consistently overhit easy creative opportunities. Rashford at least can make those chances occur.

TheGodsInRed

It’s one or the other for me really. Our front line is too inconsistent when we play both.

I’d try Rash-Cavani-Greenwood for a couple of games and see if it works.