Rashford and Martial are a problem

Classical Mechanic

Supremely talented players and when they play well we look superb going forward. But, let’s be honest, they’ve been pretty rubbish so far this season. At the end of the day they are both very inconsistent. So is it any surprise that our attacking football is inconsistent too?

I think a team can carry one “yong and lernin” player up front but we shouldn’t be so reliant on two of them. And not without a really top quality, third attacker - in his prime - up front with them (i.e. someone considerably better than James or Mata)

Are there any other top teams so reliant on young/flaky players in such important positions?

Discuss.
Rashford has 5 goals and assists in 7 PL games this season.

Martial has 1 red card, 1 own goal, 0 shots on target and 0 key passes in 4 PL games this season.

One is not like the other.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A goal or assist every 85.5 minutes this season for Rashford and he’s been pretty rubbish :lol:

I thought you were meant to be a good poster. Something pretty rubbish here and it isn’t Rashford or Martial.
I’m specifically talking about the league. Rashford hasn’t been on form in the league this season. It’s obvious to anyone with eyes. He’s a rolls royce of a player who’s produced some fantastic moments and at least one solid 90 minute performance but he’s been struggling to put in top quality back to back games for ages.

Not surprising, considering he literally broke his back after carrying the team for most of last season. Which was a huge ask for such a young player. The reason I wrote the OP is because it looks like we’re intent on doing the same again.

lsd

The Oracle
We need a proper nine every expert who watches us says this over and over again we need a proper nine. Martial will never be a true centre forward it just is not in his natural game.

Cavani's goal is a perfect example of this how a true forward plays. Rashford and Martial would have ran offside as Fernandes held on the ball to long yet Cavani had the know it all to slow his run and stay onside.

You can't teach that you either have it or you don't.

cyberman

Well today’s game is fresh in the memory, no?
And he played well? A goal would have topped it off?
He held the ball up, brought the play further up the pitch and brought Rashford and Bruno into the game?
The difference between the PSG and RB games and Chelsea and Arsenals should show us what he brings. We actually have a focal point when the ball goes forward with Martial there. Its a pen fest when Tony plays for a reason. He protects the ball very well and uses his quick feet when he has to.

Borussia Teeth

Inconsistent yes, but they're the least of our problems imo. Finding the right balance/ personnel in defence and midfield is a far greater issue.

Judas

Open to offers
Martial will have another hot streak, but there's no doubt the nagging feeling a lot of us have had about him being the main man up front remains.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We need a proper nine every expert who watches us says this over and over again we need a proper nine. Martial will never be a true centre forward it just is not in his natural game.

Cavani's goal is a perfect example of this how a true forward plays. Rashford and Martial would have ran offside as Fernandes held on the ball to long yet Cavani had the know it all to slow his run and stay onside.

Came to say this

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Once every 5 matches those two manage to team up for a nice goal and some here think they are a cohesive duo and nothing can stop them. IMO they have never consistently played well together and it comes down to two things. Rashford does not know how to weight a pass and Martial does not see the play or he sees it too late.

I'm waiting for them to grow into great players and I'm unsure it is going to happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And he played well? A goal would have topped it off?
He held the ball up, brought the play further up the pitch and brought Rashford and Bruno into the game?
The difference between the PSG and RB games and Chelsea and Arsenals should show us what he brings. We actually have a focal point when the ball goes forward with Martial there. Its a pen fest when Tony plays for a reason. He protects the ball very well and uses his quick feet when he has to.
Martial was rubbish today.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

Well said. Or they would have not been properly spaced from the defender. Or they would have taken a poor touch. Or they would have kicked at the keeper. Or they would have put it over the bar. With Rashford and Martial you just never know.

JohnnyKills

Rashford is fine. He's too greedy but his attitude is great. He'll end up an Henry-level talent I reckon.

Martial is a different story. Not sure what's going on between his ears at all. Get the feeling he needs really careful man-management, someone who can put an arm round his shoulder but also bollock him when necessary (like a cross between Ole and Mourinho basically).

If/when Pochettino comes in, I reckon Martial will one of the biggest improvers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don’t think Martial will ever kick on and become the player we’d hoped. I like him and am happy for him to be part of the supporting cast, but that’s his level.

Still have hope for Rashford however.
He's not done well in that role in the past though. I think we'll be needing to move on soon.

Jonno

And we have stats on our side.

And if he doesn’t score / assist, he offers nothing else. He needs to score or assist to play well, compared to other strikers

Poor hold up play, no aerial presence for crosses, half hearted at pressing.....then you see Cavani, an actual all-out striker. Great in the air, great at pressing and direct with his finishing.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Martial is extremely overated but hes much better then hes shown this season. Ultimately though id have brought in haland and martial would be back up to rashford.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And if he doesn’t score / assist, he offers nothing else. He needs to score or assist to play well, compared to other strikers

Poor hold up play, no aerial presence for crosses, half hearted at pressing.....then you see Cavani, an actual all-out striker. Great in the air, great at pressing and direct with his finishing.
His hold up play was actually ok today. I’ve seen worse. Everything else was awful though. I think the accuracy/consistency of his passing has to be the worst in the squad. And it’s beyond infuriating to see him concede cheap possession then stand still, waving his hands in the air, while the opposition break.

Judas

Open to offers
When you see the way a what 33 year old Cavani carries himself, moves, hurries the opposition and gets himself in the right place, it shows how much work Martial needs to do to his game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tammy Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Richcarlinson and Jesus are all younger and scored relatively similar number of league goals.
Did they score more or the same amount of goals?

GameOn

Rashford has shown he can have a poor game and still get you the winner. Martial hasn't.

Were an elite defender and an elite striker away from challenging.
We're far more than an elite striker and defender away from challenging.

We don't have any kind of identity.

Once an opponent sits back and forces us to play actual football, we have zero ideas what to do.

We only look good when the opponent plays a rather high line and allows us to counter.

Mr PG

Martial is so frustrating. Loses almost every 50-50 and just stands there.
Compare with Fred and McTominay’s tenacity especially Fred.

Maybe they’re too entitled to starting. Look at Shaw’s improvement once Telles arrived.

Mourinho used to bench either of them and they’d come on determined to prove a point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think everybody missed that.
Check out countless match day threads saying it, his own thread and the "Bubble" thread. It was quite a well held view. Just because you don't agree with it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well what games are you judging him on then? The games he was suspended for?
The games you’ve mentioned him playing well in for a fecking start. He’s been awful.

He’ll have his purple patch and we’ll all be conned for another year.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Err who said that? He’s still young...
25 in a few weeks...

The only reason we're sticking with him is because we've no other viable option.

He's just like Pogba in that he'll be great for a few games and make everyone think that he's finally figured out how to be consistent and the inevitable bad form strikes.

eire-red

They scored like 50 goals between them last season, so I'm not worried that they'll come good eventually this season, given they also started slowly last season.

Consistency is a major issue though. Imagine a Kane and Bruno partnership. I think we should sell Pogba, and look to fund a move for Kane, he's worth any sum of money. Probably never going to happen, but would love to see it.

While I like both of Rashford and Martial, we can't compete with 2/3 of our attackers blowing hot and cold. You need a player you can hang your hat on to score, week in week out. Salah, Aguero, Lewandowski, Suarez, Ronaldo etc. Its a feature of every top team.

I think Greenwood will become that player for us, but it's a case of whether or not we're going to wait for that moment. Out of Rashford and Martial, I would keep faith in Rashford as he has big moments in him, whereas I don't think Martial does to the same degree. Rashford has added more consistency to his game as of late. Still not at the level required though.

Some harsh lessons I think Ole needs to learn quickly. We need genuine width and creativity from wingers in our play, not playing 3 similar players across the front 3 who are all more like inverted wingers/strikers. We need a reliable focal point for our attack, and a proper combative platform for Bruno to do his attacking work in midfield.

cyberman

And we have stats on our side.

But those stats are skewered by our horrible start thats been largely put down to our quick turnaround? He just hasnt had a proper chance to alter it like Rashford and all has. Its literally his first league start since the mid way point of the first half of the 6-1 and he even won the penalty there.
I say that but he has. In the only games he can play since his suspension but CL is ruled out for goalpost setting reasons.
Overall he has 5 goal contributions in 7 games which isnt bad at all. Our best 3 games within the last month have been with Martial up top. Its his movement when dropping deep to allow Bruno to get beyond or drifting wide to allow Rashford through the middle that stands out.

POF

You can add Greenwood and Pogba to that too. All very inconsistent players.

If any 2 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are in good form, this is a very good United team. But when out of form their level is extremely low and it completely nullifies the team's goal threat.

It's the problem with relying on young inexperienced players. It's good in the long term but can be costly to short term results. They won't be consistent and you get large fluctuations in performance levels.

JohnnyKills

The games you’ve mentioned him playing well in for a fecking start. He’s been awful.

He's been bad since that Copenhagen game where he missed about four one on ones.

Still think he can blossom but, as I said earlier, he'll need really careful handling. Feel like Mou was too hard on him and Ole's been too soft. Maybe Poch holds the key.

Would be a massive shame if he ends up moving on. So much talent, just mentally seems to be lacking.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Pretty ridiculous excuse. Unless it is sarcasm.
If he wasn't playing for a while, he should be all the more hungry and on top of his game. It is a different thing if he was coming back from a big injury or something.
It wasn't intended as an excuse but players can have bad form. The OP was claiming that we have a problem with these two. I just pointed how the sample size isn't enough.

They were pretty good last season so any loss of form must be temporary. Martial was poor today, no question about that.

cyberman

Just the 4 goals and assists in 3 CL games. Nothing special, truly awful.

Eire Red United

Rashford is our best player along with Bruno and will deservedly be captain within the next few years. Even when hes playing poorly he’ll give you something and his pace will always have the opposition wary of the counter. Martial is absolutely class when on form, but if he’s not then he is woeful. Neither are a problem though.

acnumber9

Check out countless match day threads saying it, his own thread and the "Bubble" thread. It was quite a well held view. Just because you don't agree with it.
Yeah but people on this forum are idiots. When was this 6 month period?

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
So knee jerk this thread. Both had great consistent seasons last year even after injuries. This season Rashy is CLs top scorer and martial has been unlucky to miss 3 games. Hardly indicative of a rut.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
25 in a few weeks...

The only reason we're sticking with him is because we've no other viable option.

He's just like Pogba in that he'll be great for a few games and make everyone think that he's finally figured out how to be consistent and the inevitable bad form strikes.
Is 25 not young? I’m not talking about him like he’s a kid I’m just saying he’s not the finished product yet and improved a lot last season.