Rashford and Martial are a problem

edgecutter

I like martial, but 2 league goals this season is shocking for a guy on 200k and that needs to be sorted.

Bojan11

Ole got the sub wrong. Should have been Rashford hooked. Martial was actually composed today.

RUCK4444

SOS for Haaland.
This! Slowly becoming the most important position to upgrade in the squad (and that’s allowing for RW and DM !!)

Absolutely need a player who will guarantee you 25 goals a season, you won’t win the league without one.

Tyrion

Their problem is that the coaching staff havent fixed their offside / timing runs issue for several years now. It's embarrassing. Such a basic skill to learn. Maybe loan them out to Leicester to learn from vardy. Ffs...
At this point, I'm more surprised when they're not offside. When Rashford was offside for that late corner, I nearly laughed. When he had the ball on the counter before that, I had no faith that we were going to score from it. If it was Bruno and Cavani on the other hand...

I don't get why Ole left him on. He did nothing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't know why we kept Rashford up top and Martial on the left for the entire game (well, until we bought Cavani on). Literally the only thing Rashford can do in that position is try to run in behind the defenders, and if that's not working he provides absolutely nothing else. Martial may have given them more trouble with his hold-up play and dropping into deeper areas and linking with others.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The more I see it, I don't think we can continue to play the two of them together. Sure both of them are still learning, but as Pogue alludes to you need to have a balance of experience and youth. Rashford and Martial are both really inconsistent (and I don't think they've got more consistent). There's only so much longer can you can continue an experiment before coming to a conclusion.

Falcow

Had to win when we have to carry these two every single match. Bruno needs a rest.

manunited1919

Ole got the sub wrong. Should have been Rashford hooked. Martial was actually composed today.
Agreed. But then again I knew there was no chance of Rashford coming off instead of Martial. I was surprised Bruno came off at the end and Rashford stayed on.

Falcow

The more I see it, I don't think we can continue to play the two of them together. Sure both of them are still learning, but as Pogue alludes to you need to have a balance of experience and youth. Rashford and Martial are both really inconsistent (and I don't think they've got more consistent). There's only so much longer can you can continue an experiment before coming to a conclusion.
Martial is 25. Study time is over.

LDUred

Although I applaud the motive and the intent, the work Rashford has been doing away from football has massively sapped his hunger as a football player (no pun intended). He has received a lot of praise and even an award from the Queen, which is great for him as a person, but his performances have been very fitful this season. He has been given too much, too soon.

Personally speaking, it is great to see a football player showing a caring side for ordinary people, and I admire Rashford for what he has done off the pitch. It is just that as a Manchester United player his progress has flatlined and he has even arguably gone backwards.

As a pairing, Martial and Rashford just don't have the desire nor the instinct to be strikers for Manchester United. They don't bust a gut to get on the end of crosses, and they don't look too upset when they pass up opportunities. Ruud Van Nistelrooy lived for scoring goals. He would look absolutely devastated if he missed the kind of chances that our forwards spurn. The impression that I got was that he was in a foul mood if his name was not on the scoresheet and the same could be said for many of our other great strikers.

We need our forwards to have not only talent but the drive to score goals. We simply cannot go on like this as we need goals to win games and our strikers are scuppering our title bid right now.

Judas

Open to offers
I still will defend Rashford because even if he's looking iffy he can still make things happen. Martial is just Martial.

Rashford massively needs to improve decision making, Martial has so much work to do, and he's not a kid anymore.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think it’s because they are quite similar we are easier to defend against. They are always trying to score the perfect goal and have no desire to get into the 6 yard box and gamble or tussle with centre backs. It’s ok for a counter attacking team but it didn’t work today. If Pogba keeps up this form and commitment and somehow stays then I’d be all over Haaland too. Better the devil you know I suppose...

ForeverRed1

They are very good players but I feel they are too greedy, they could assist a lot more, there’s no I in team as they say...

I have dared to say it before, (and got a lot of slack) I’m not a massive fan of martial as a striker, he just doesn’t score enough. If we’re going to win the league our main striker needs to be firing! 20+ goals a season! If he could improve in the box he would be better. (Get learning off Cavani) get them scrappy goals. Rashford needs to work on his assist record and focus more on the team scoring and less on being the hero.

We really need a top right winger, a top top goal scorer (poacher) and a world class CDM. That’s without mentioning a cb. Also if pogba leaves we’re going to have to replace him too.

Will Singh

If Rashford can up his tempo and decision making he will be the complete player. Martial is a player who you don't know what you'll get, he is going through a drought and playing him is the only way to get him back on form.

Either way we need a centre forward and RW and I don't think we should rely on both of them for now!

ForeverRed1

They are very good players but I feel they are too greedy, they could assist a lot more, there’s no I in team as they say...

I have dared to say it before, (and got a lot of slack) I’m not a massive fan of martial as a striker, he just doesn’t score enough. If we’re going to win the league our main striker needs to be firing! 20+ goals a season! If he could improve in the box he would be better. (Get learning off Cavani) get them scrappy goals. Rashford needs to work on his assist record and focus more on the team scoring and less on being the hero.

We really need a top right winger, a top top goal scorer (poacher) and a world class CDM. That’s without mentioning a cb. Also if pogba leaves we’re going to have to replace him too.

we’re a good side but the two games against the big guns (city and Liverpool) have shown we’re a way off yet. Loving the progress and enjoying this moment though.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I thought Martial did okay. Rashford on the hand was way too eager. After his back injury, he doesn't go for those 50-50 challenge in the air. We missed a trick by not playing Cavani

Superunknown

Rashford has 7 league goals from 18 games, so just under that 1 in 2 ratio that you ideally want from a striker. His decision making is painful and it wasn't great today. But, I still always get the feeling that he could do something. Even with these stats, unless he has a horrific end to the season and doesn't score more than 4 goals, he will have at least his second best (league) season with us, stats wise. Technically, in all comps, he's already having his second best season.

Martial, on the other hand, 2 from 14 league games. That's harder to justify. 5 from 22 in all comps. This is not good enough.

I'm a bit tired of the Rashford/Martial combo and the "partnership" isn't doing what we think it is doing or expect it to do. We absolutely need to bring in a top class striker in the next window. I'm not seeing enough from Martial to justify him being the starting striker for Manchester United.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If rashford had passed to cavani instead of running across the box towards the corner flag then i don't have any doubt that cavani would have buried it.

Red_toad

They were as much of an issue to United’s play today as Sane and co were for Liverpool. Game wasn’t a match for attackers to shine, we created next to nothing and none of our good chances fell to our attackers. You’d honestly think they‘d both missed a few sitters by the reactions in here.

Hammondo

All the Liverpool attacking players are leagues ahead of ours. This really was the biggest difference between us and them.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
People complaining about Rashford-Martial being extremely poor today, yet Maguire and Shaw utterly cancelled Salah-Firmino off.

passing-wind

They were as much of an issue to United’s play today as Sane and co were for Liverpool. Game wasn’t a match for attackers to shine, we created next to nothing and none of our good chances fell to our attackers. You’d honestly think they‘d both missed a few sitters by the reactions in here.
This is the key, the context of our play which people are missing. We are not imposing ourselves in big games. One poster replied saying we had three of the games best chances, having three chances and the team imposing themselves is almost mutually exclusive. Burnley or WBA can create chances but the frequency and the manner in which they are created is what differentiates them from a Bayern / City etc.

The biggest influence of us performing in big games will come from whatever the players are doing behind closed doors and also the mentality the manager is instilling into the players before games.

Red00012

We have one player who needs extra training on what he should post on Twitter and we’ve another player who needs extra training on the rules of the game .

:wenger:

Havak

Pokemon master
I get a few quoted messages disagreeing with me when I say Rashford & Martial's inconsistency costs us more than our often average/bad defending does.

People are fine to disagree with it, but I stand by the point and it's becoming more evident the longer this stuff happens.

I remember someone saying in a game not too long ago that they didn't celebrate a goal, purely because they were convinced Rashford would be flagged offside. I did the same thing. How often is Rashford offside? And Martial for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if Marcus in particular has been offside the most this season. Surely he doesn't need to be? And by now someone must have told him to try and hold his runs a fraction longer? So many times he is even looking across the line, is offside, stays offside, and expects the pass. It's baffling. It's like he doesn't even know the rules sometimes!

If they don't become more clinical, more composed, more street wise etc soon, we will not win trophies.

I'd like to see Cavani down the middle and Greenwood on the right for an extended period, with Rashford & Martial battling it out for that left side position.

Jackal

People complaining about Rashford-Martial being extremely poor today, yet Maguire and Shaw utterly cancelled Salah-Firmino off.
Salah/Firminho can afford to be poor. They have won a league title, champions league title, etc. They have enough credits in the bank to be poor.
What hath Martial-Rashford won?

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Rashford and martial need conpetition to improve.. right bow neither is good enough. Ifnwe win thebleague with them upfront than ole truly is a miracle worker

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Worth remembering that Cole's form during his first two years was as bad as Martial's this season. Between January 95, when he signed, and the winter of 97 when he scored that hat-trick against Barnsley, he couldn't hit a barndoor - in fact I thought of him when Martial was missing those chances the other night.

Also, RVN's spell at the club coincided with a dip in the team's form. We won the league for three consecutive years before he arrived and three consecutive years after, but we only won one in six when he was around. So having a '9' doesn't necessarily bring success.

Not disagreeing that Martial is struggling (I've said previously in this thread that it might be best to get rid) but some of the arguments against him seem a bit OTT.
Yet he still scored 29 goals in 74 apps in a team with Cantona and Hughes in it. Also had two broken legs during this period.

For context Martial has 54 goals in 159 appearances.

bondsname

I'm actually not that concerned about Martial. He is still a silky player, he creates space with his dribbling, and I feel danger when he has the ball. Martial needs to just get that first goal out of the way and aim think we'll see the best out of hi.

With Rashford however, I am worried. He plays like a rookie sometimes and makes the wrong decisions on an alarming rate. I can cut him some slack for that, because he usually turns up with a crucial or an assist that gives us points in the end of the game.

Both Martial and Rashford has stuff to work and improve on, but I'd say Rashford has a lot more than Martial.

Are we ever going to see them both on top-form? It seems that either Rashford is one fire or Martial is, never at the same time, or they're both in a bad patch. If these lads wants to win trophies with United they need to perform on a high level consistently and that "they're young" excuse isn't going to work much longer.

Falcow

A year ago I'd get really defensive over Martial (I was never really in either fanboy camp), but I'm starting to feel the same way
Well he had a good season last one but has inexplicably reverted to being shit this one. He carries no goal threat. Maybe he will have a strong second half to the season.....we need it if we are going to sustain a challenge.

Steven-UK

Rashford and martial need conpetition to improve.. right bow neither is good enough. Ifnwe win thebleague with them upfront than ole truly is a miracle worker
We will NEVER win the league with Rashford and Martial on the pitch. Nothing has changed really in 7 years - we still need world class strikers, and it has taken the arrival of Cavani to show them both up for their lack of ability.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They are both in desperate need of upgrade. Martial was anonymous and Rashford just completely incompetent.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Martial did play better than Rashford today but it's a major issue having both in the team at the moment.

acnumber9

Both need a more senior player to take the pressure off them. And Rashford needs to stop being used as a sacrificial pony and moved across the front line every week.

RUCK4444

We will NEVER win the league with Rashford and Martial on the pitch. Nothing has changed really in 7 years - we still need world class strikers, and it has taken the arrival of Cavani to show them both up for their lack of ability.
Nah in fairness they were both a big reason we finished third last season (and that’s coming from somebody who is critical of both, especially Martial.)

Ole’s trying to play them into form again but they aren’t rewarding him for his faith in them.

Cavani should be the first choice no 9 going forward with these two taking turns on the wing.

We should be going ALL OUT for Haaland.

Roboc7

We are clearly short of one top class attacking player, that’s been obvious for some time.

Our attackers were poor today but in the big games we starve of them of the ball and expect them to make most of limited opportunities. When it works it looks good and when it doesn’t it looks terrible.

Plymouth Red

Martial did play better than Rashford today but it's a major issue having both in the team at the moment.
You also need to include Greenwood in that statement. I can’t remember a time when our supposed best three attackers have all been so off form. If anything is going to bring our chances of success this season to an end, I think it’s this situation.